Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Steezo posted:

Yet the Broward County Sheriff did nothing for a lot longer than six minutes and gets no applause.

:unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I was at the DC March yesterday. My parents are in town, and felt strongly about going, so I facilitated getting them down there even if I’m personally skeptical about gun control the way the Democrats present it. Whatever the case, there were a lot of really powerful speakers there, and I don’t think anyone can deny that these kids are poised, passionate and highly motivated in a way that we have seen for a long time.

Unless of course you’re the NRA, then you can say the march was backed by “violent radicals,” and insult survivors of a school shooting by saying that no one would know their names if it weren’t for them surviving a massacre. I honestly do wonder if the NRA is actually an anti-2A organization because this bullshit embrace of the most toxic parts of gun culture and far right politics is just driving people in the other direction. If they had come out after Parkland and said, “Yep, we support UBC, prohibiting domestic abuses from owning firearms, raising the age for buying a rifle from 18 to 21, and banning bump stocks,” you wouldn’t have had 800k people demonstrating yesterday.

Also, here’s our beloved president calling undocumented migrants “enemy combatants.”

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/977855968364171264

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
The president we all deserve.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I can't follow his brain vomit today, 'build wall through M'?

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

bird food bathtub posted:

I can't follow his brain vomit today, 'build wall through M'?

Use the military funding to build the wall since the military is rich again.

It's totally cool since illegals are enemy combatants and drugs are chemical weapons (poison).

Cyks fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Mar 25, 2018

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Unless of course you’re the NRA, then you can say the march was backed by “violent radicals,” and insult survivors of a school shooting by saying that no one would know their names if it weren’t for them surviving a massacre. I honestly do wonder if the NRA is actually an anti-2A organization because this bullshit embrace of the most toxic parts of gun culture and far right politics is just driving people in the other direction. If they had come out after Parkland and said, “Yep, we support UBC, prohibiting domestic abuses from owning firearms, raising the age for buying a rifle from 18 to 21, and banning bump stocks,” you wouldn’t have had 800k people demonstrating yesterday.

None of those things would have stopped the Parkland shooting.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

If there's one thing the military is good at, it's building things in a timely and cost effective manner. Especially when using military labor.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

SimonCat posted:

Pretty sure the 21 year old purchase age would have prevented the 19 year old shooter from legally purchasing his guns.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

SimonCat posted:

Not trying to start gun control debate here but as psydude pointed out, increasing the age limit would have. The other stuff are largely popular measures that would be seen as a compromise and probably remove a lot of the charged atmosphere from the issue without significantly affecting the overall right to own guns, including a scary-looking semiautomatic rifle.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Leader of Catalan secessionist movement forgets Germany is a part of EU and loves rules, is arrested and will be extradited to Spain.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...b955_story.html

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

psydude posted:

Pretty sure the 21 year old purchase age would have prevented the 19 year old shooter from legally purchasing his guns.

Good thing no one over 21 commits murder then.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

SimonCat posted:

Kids who shoot up schools usually are under 21. (But, iirc, most of them get guns from home anyway. :shrug:)

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:

SimonCat posted:

Maybe you should put those goalposts down, they look heavy.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

SimonCat posted:

You're right. Let's legalize murder too.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
What’s the point of cancer research, we haven’t figured out immortality yet?

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me

SimonCat posted:

Not sure how that's a response, but OK.

A poster up above said the NRA isn't a pro 2a group, and I agree, at this point, they're more like a firearms manufacturing and sellers organization, and like any good capitalist organization, they're more concerned with short term profits (in this case, absolutely resisting anything that would make it harder to buy firearms) over long term profits (eventually, a populist wave is going to overcome them, and it will end up restricting firearms a TON)

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

psydude posted:

1. Drive to Georgia, Alabama, or Mississippi
2. Go to gun show

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

1. Drive to Georgia, Alabama, or Mississippi
2. Go to gun show

Hey look, a federal law would be useful here.

Edit: gently caress, I got sucked in, sorry.

Flikken fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Mar 25, 2018

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
"STATES RIGHTS"

:downsgun:

DaNerd
Sep 15, 2009

u br?
Hey new posts in Current Events!

*Gunchat*

Welp, guess I'll come back tomorrow.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

SimonCat posted:

🙄

Yep better to do literally nothing.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

What’s the point of having laws? People just break them.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
the "law and order" crowd that has no problem with death squads executing people for trivial offenses suddenly goes LAW IS MEANINGLESS

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

SimonCat posted:

People are surprisingly unmotivated. Adding taxes and age restrictions to cigarettes is a pretty reliable way to get fewer kids to start smoking.

Even when it comes to killing yourself the dumbest obstacle can be enough:
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2004/oct/29/mentalhealth.uknews

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

DaNerd posted:

Hey new posts in Current Events!

*Gunchat*

Welp, guess I'll come back tomorrow.

A major bummer is that there weren't that many great protest signs yesterday. A lot of that is because it was Babby's First Protest so the more seasoned people took a backseat. Otherwise, I'd be breaking up the gunchat with that.

Edit: ooh, Donnie's indirectly calling the Stormy Daniels stuff a hoax. If the tweets start happening, Stormy's lawyer is gonna cream his pants.

https://twitter.com/jdawsey1/status/977914259404410880?s=19

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Mar 25, 2018

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

People are surprisingly unmotivated. Adding taxes and age restrictions to cigarettes is a pretty reliable way to get fewer kids to start smoking.

Even when it comes to killing yourself the dumbest obstacle can be enough:
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2004/oct/29/mentalhealth.uknews

Learning about how we actually make our decisions, including life and death ones, is so fuckin sobering. Guess I'll kill myself. Go down to the pharmacy to get a second box of pills? Eeeeeeh :effort:

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
There's a reason why suicide by gun happens a lot more in countries where access to guns is easier

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah, sorry. I get sucked into gun chat now like a dog hair into a vacuum.

I'm not going to watch the Stormy interview tonight, just going to catch the highlights while taking my morning poo poo tomorrow. I can't take much more of the Trump piss news stream.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/ashleyfeinberg/status/977696844187885569?s=21

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/JackPosobiec/status/977647663297515521

(edit: this guy thinks the soros stuff is real)

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

aphid_licker posted:

Learning about how we actually make our decisions, including life and death ones, is so fuckin sobering. Guess I'll kill myself. Go down to the pharmacy to get a second box of pills? Eeeeeeh :effort:

I would get at this from the other side. The decision to kill yourself is often not very rational. Blowing yourself up when you are about to be captured by ISIS is one thing, shooting your brains out because your life sucks is something else. There's nearly always the possibility to get help in creating a better life for yourself.

You're at your blackest hour, deep in depression. But you need a second box of pills from the pharmacy. You go out and have some more time to think about your decision. Maybe your depression lightens a bit. Maybe you lose your courage. Maybe you come up with new reasons to live. That's not irrational.

And as UP THE BUM NO BABY said, that's one of the reasons why widespread gun ownership has such an impact on suicides. And I think the majority of gun deaths in the US are suicides?

The Pi dude
Oct 19, 2013
Buglord

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Yeah, sorry. I get sucked into gun chat now like a dog hair into a vacuum.

I'm not going to watch the Stormy interview tonight, just going to catch the highlights while taking my morning poo poo tomorrow. I can't take much more of the Trump piss news stream.

I'm going to watch the first 5 minutes, and then skip to the end and watch the last 45 seconds.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

The Pi dude posted:

I'm going to watch the first 5 minutes, and then skip to the end and watch the last 45 seconds.

I usually jump around during interviews, catching a few seconds here, a couple moments there. If it looks good at any point I'll watch for as long as I can handle it, which isn't normally all that long.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Torrannor posted:

And as UP THE BUM NO BABY said, that's one of the reasons why widespread gun ownership has such an impact on suicides. And I think the majority of gun deaths in the US are suicides?

Have some motivational art, from my bar cook days.

When it comes to suicide, people lack creativity. Sure, you could get a gun, as long as you're not a felon, been declared crazy by a judge, or by dodging those through various loopholes. But why limit yourself? There's a whole world of mountains and cliffs to jump off and tumble down. Don your finest circus costume and make that statement about the clowns that have haunted your life. Go millenial style and shove a dish detergent pod up your rear end. Be the reason we have post mortem photos in medical textbooks. You can have a legacy as long as your suicidal aspirations grey the boundaries of ignorance, mental health and art.

Obviously get help if that paragraph made any variety of sense.

I wonder if anyone's offed themselves with one of those big bore air rifles yet. Those can be pretty powerful, and suppressed, and are completely unregulated.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Mar 25, 2018

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

In a burst of tweets, Trump insists that he’s happy with his legal team

quote:

But Trump insisted in two tweets Sunday morning that many “lawyers and top law firms want to represent me in the Russia case” and that people should not “believe the Fake News narrative that it is hard to find a lawyer who wants to take this on.”

How is this real life? How is this the president of the United States of America?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Arc Light posted:

How is this real life? How is this the president of the United States of America?

Something something something the will of the people something something elective collage knows what the people actually want.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
While I don't agree with her objective (not getting gunned down for no drat reason) that girl sure shows some passion! - posters itt

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Arc Light posted:

Trump is America.

Obama is American. But Trump is America. There's a difference.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

🙄

Yep better to do literally nothing.

Better to do something that will hassle people who aren't the problem, doesn't fix the actual problem, and lets the powers that be cover their rear end by saying they did something.

It's the Army way!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
wouldn't want to do anything to at least try and prevent senseless death and violence

~uhm actually that would be VERY INCONVENIENT~

• Locked thread