Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Bring back the goddamn rule

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Who What Now posted:

No BattleTech? What garbage is this?

Battletech isn't an anime. It's a tabletop miniatures game, a series of video games, a bunch of novels, but not an anime.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Guy Goodbody posted:

Battletech isn't an anime. It's a tabletop miniatures game, a series of video games, a bunch of novels, but not an anime.

Right, so it's actually good.

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Not sure how, but it could be.
Meanwhile in 1994 ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-_-8D8R4CU

SimplyCosmic has a new favorite as of 14:28 on Mar 25, 2018

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I stand corrected, Battletech is anime. I guess the meme creator didn't know.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Who What Now posted:

No BattleTech? What garbage is this?

If you were a real fan of Battletech, you'd know drat-well it's covered by "Macross Pilot"* :colbert:.

*A bunch of the original Battletech designs are straight-rips of Macross mecha because the company producing Battletech thought they had bought the licenses to legally use them. They had not. They're now known as the "Unseen" and Harmony Gold will sue the rear end off anyone using said designs for anything Battletech/Mechwarrior-related.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you were a real fan of Battletech, you'd know drat-well it's covered by "Macross Pilot"* :colbert:.

*A bunch of the original Battletech designs are straight-rips of Macross mecha because the company producing Battletech thought they had bought the licenses to legally use them. They had not. They're now known as the "Unseen" and Harmony Gold will sue the rear end off anyone using said designs for anything Battletech/Mechwarrior-related.

What did they buy?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Not just Macross, they took a lot of designs from Dougram too. For example,

Battletech's Griffin

Dougram's Roundfacer

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bombadilillo posted:

What did they buy?

Pretty much bullshit on paper. FASA thought they were licensing the designs properly, but only learned after the fact the company they got those licenses from weren't actually in a position to distribute them.

Incidentally, you can kiss goodbye any hope for ever seeing Mechwarrior 1 or 2 on GoG.com; They've both got Unseen designs in them.

Neddy Seagoon has a new favorite as of 16:16 on Mar 25, 2018

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Stop posting about posting and just post content instead namaste

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Neddy Seagoon posted:

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

EmmyOk posted:

Stop posting about posting and just post content instead namaste

Ok.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Guy Goodbody posted:

Not just Macross, they took a lot of designs from Dougram too. For example,

Battletech's Griffin

Dougram's Roundfacer

What's the point of hoses on a robot, anyway?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Who What Now posted:

What's the point of hoses on a robot, anyway?

Rule of Cool.

An oft misapplied rule, to be sure, but any explanation is basically a retcon to excuse the art

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
What's that term for adding unnecessary bits of stuff to spaceships and things just to make them look cool/science-fiction-y

Like, the death star and the star destroyers all had so many hoses and bumps and ridges slapped onto them that served no purpose.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Greeblies?

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016

Ferrule posted:

What's that term for adding unnecessary bits of stuff to spaceships and things just to make them look cool/science-fiction-y

Like, the death star and the star destroyers all had so many hoses and bumps and ridges slapped onto them that served no purpose.

Greebles or greeblies

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Bombadilillo posted:

What did they buy?

If memory serves there was a lot of complicated legal shenanigans and some outright pettiness from both sides. FASA didn't really own the rights to some of the stuff they made look like other stuff; they just blatantly ripped off a lot of Macross stuff. Apparently it slid by for a while because whoever owned that IP just didn't give a poo poo. FASA sued somebody else for some reason so that company bought the rights to Macross and sued the gently caress out of them right back. FASA never really had the rights to do that beyond I think some "yeah you can make some similar looking things just don't rip it off directly we don't care beyond that." Problem is they did rip it off directly.

I forget all the details but it was pretty insane. The end result was "dear FASA: you can't copy other peoples' robots. Knock it the gently caress off."

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ferrule posted:

Real life military vehicles have bumps and stuff

It's not like all designs start with a frictionless sphere any any deviation from that requires an explanation

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Guy Goodbody posted:

Real life military vehicles have bumps and stuff

It's not like all designs start with a frictionless sphere any any deviation from that requires an explanation

Plus don't really have to worry about drag or wind resistance in space.

Function > Form

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

ToxicSlurpee posted:

If memory serves there was a lot of complicated legal shenanigans and some outright pettiness from both sides. FASA didn't really own the rights to some of the stuff they made look like other stuff; they just blatantly ripped off a lot of Macross stuff. Apparently it slid by for a while because whoever owned that IP just didn't give a poo poo. FASA sued somebody else for some reason so that company bought the rights to Macross and sued the gently caress out of them right back. FASA never really had the rights to do that beyond I think some "yeah you can make some similar looking things just don't rip it off directly we don't care beyond that." Problem is they did rip it off directly.

I forget all the details but it was pretty insane. The end result was "dear FASA: you can't copy other peoples' robots. Knock it the gently caress off."

A big problem is that Battletech has pretty terrible robot designs. I mean, if theses were the best robots I could think up for my robot game, I'd steal designs too

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Guy Goodbody posted:

A big problem is that Battletech has pretty terrible robot designs. I mean, if theses were the best robots I could think up for my robot game, I'd steal designs too

Counterpoint:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Do you know what "counterpoint" means?

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Counterpoint: You have bad taste and are a doo doo head.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Battletech for Sega Genesis is the best 2 player cooperative sci-fi tactical combat experience yet developed, change my mind

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Guy Goodbody posted:

These objectively rule, though. Maybe you could try finding some examples of bad designs?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Sure the Commando is an ugly mech but it shoots god damned missiles out of its loving face. How can you hate a robot with face missiles?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Sure the Commando is an ugly mech but it shoots god damned missiles out of its loving face. How can you hate a robot with face missiles?

Because there are kung fu mechs with crotch missiles

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
All men have crotch missiles dude

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

MechWarrior 2: Mercenaries posted:

Morning! How does it feel to be strapped into a walking nuke reactor at 6 a.m.? Bet you wish you studied harder in school eh? Heh heh, hit that throttle! You'll be killing people before breakfast today, mostly soldiers, maybe some civilians.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tp87Jc6k1w4

REACTOR ONLINE. SENSORS ONLINE. WEAPONS ONLINE. ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL.

Mr. Bad Guy has a new favorite as of 22:39 on Mar 25, 2018

puppets freak me out
Dec 18, 2015

Milo and POTUS posted:

All men have crotch missiles dude

So do women, they just take 9 months to reload.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfk-a1JZMbU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tp87Jc6k1w4

REACTOR ONLINE. SENSORS ONLINE. WEAPONS ONLINE. ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL.

An alarm went off in my head.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Surprisingly good English for an ork. Definitely boss material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://i.imgur.com/9g7rlMj.mp4