Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Baronjutter posted:

What the gently caress a colonized size 12 planet???

Even worse, it's a size 11 planet :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

darthbob88 posted:

E: I found either a bug or a feature I hadn't realized had been added.

This planet has exactly two grown pops on it, including one hive-mind, but still has +60 unhappiness from unhappy slaves and +36 from unhappy pops.
It's probably related to the bug I posted about earlier in the thread where raiding stance puts ghost pops on planets.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Is there a bug with Sectors & Energy? just loaded up a game on the beta and all of my sectors are reporting that they're producing 0 energy, and have large deficits coming out of their stock

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Baronjutter posted:

What the gently caress a colonized size 12 planet???

Why wouldn't you? You can get a Planet Capital on it.

No, I mean it, explain why you wouldn't. Habitats are Size 12.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

tithin posted:

Is there a bug with Sectors & Energy? just loaded up a game on the beta and all of my sectors are reporting that they're producing 0 energy, and have large deficits coming out of their stock

Have you unpaused yet? Let it run a tick and it should normalize, I've noticed the same with fleet cap.

E: ^^^ Eh, I don't bother with Size 12 planets until I'm backfilling my space, personally.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
and you can make size 12, what, size 15?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Arrath posted:

Have you unpaused yet? Let it run a tick and it should normalize, I've noticed the same with fleet cap.

E: ^^^ Eh, I don't bother with Size 12 planets until I'm backfilling my space, personally.

yeah, I noticed this too, but no that's not it.

it's kind of odd as that wasn't behaviour from pre 2.0

Unrelated: are there any mods that change traders behaviours back to pre 2.0? I don't really give a toss about monthly mineral income when I'm sitting on max energy.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

tithin posted:

yeah, I noticed this too, but no that's not it.

it's kind of odd as that wasn't behaviour from pre 2.0

Unrelated: are there any mods that change traders behaviours back to pre 2.0? I don't really give a toss about monthly mineral income when I'm sitting on max energy.

My only other thought is that you updated to the beta where outposts now cost maintenance? But, that would be coming out of your budget, not the sectors. Weird.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Milky Moor posted:

and you can make size 12, what, size 15?

There are technically more powerful perks with all the mods i use, but I've always had a soft spot for this one.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

McSpanky posted:

It would be interesting if there were machine versions of the governing ethics that let you fine-tune your robociv more in one direction or another, and the Rogue Servitor choice would essentially be the [Harlan Ellison] <-> [Iain M. Banks] axis.

As long as Maximum Ellison means you always recite the entirety of AM's "HATE" speech on first contact with any organic race.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I have trouble figuring out how many offensive armies to make for a war. In CK II it was simple because I generally had feedback on how many soldiers both I and my enemy had at any given moment so I could just hit the button to raise the levies and my personal fighters, blob up and off I'd go. In this game I never know how many armies will be enough before I find out the hard way.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
I would aim for 50% more army power than the defenders for a secure take. Double the army power if you want to minimize losses.

It would be great if planets showed their defenders army strength on the system view while you have a military unit selected, so you don't have to go into each individual planet view and army tab just to see the numbers though. That would also help visualize orbital bombardment better, and clearly tell you when you're starting to hit fortresses (because the defenders numbers will stop to go down).

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Mar 25, 2018

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Playstation 4 posted:

There are technically more powerful perks with all the mods i use, but I've always had a soft spot for this one.

Personally I'm a fan of this mod: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1324539009

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
If there's a thing I'm getting seriously tired of, it's the game not accepting my upgrades because of the name 'already being in use'. Yes, I'm updating the Design of that exact ship, you moronic game. LET ME loving SAVE THE DESIGN. Even when you randomise it still doesn't let you save. And you can't delete the last design of a type.

I turn off auto-create-design, as I should.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

this mod is great

the AI even uses it by itself, sometimes!

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

My rogue servitors have now conquered a bunch of awakened empire planets from a materialist one who was by total coincidence using the same organic and synthetic portraits as my dudes and their creator race :kimchi:

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
So I was testing out a Barbaric Despoiler or whatever they're called and it turns out you can abduct hive mind pops who then live on your planets as happy as larry.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I just came back to this game after a long break since just after launch. I'm playing as a xenophobic militarist and I just had a new Archon elected. Turns out he's a xeno from a civ halfway round the galaxy for some reason and now all my pops are unhappy. I have no xeno pops in my empire and closed borders with everyone. How did he get in charge and is there some way I can get rid of him?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Gat dang why can't I just take fallen empire ships out of a fleet manager if they aren't there

Like I get not being able to add them but why can't I say "hey don't bother with it" after they get destroyed without transferring all but one corvette out of the fleet and fully disbanding it

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Wafflecopper posted:

I just came back to this game after a long break since just after launch. I'm playing as a xenophobic militarist and I just had a new Archon elected. Turns out he's a xeno from a civ halfway round the galaxy for some reason and now all my pops are unhappy. I have no xeno pops in my empire and closed borders with everyone. How did he get in charge and is there some way I can get rid of him?

The usual way this sort of thing happens is that they're a leader of a faction and then get elected from there, but that raises the question of WTF your xenophobic civ is doing giving xenos full citizenship and letting them become leaders. Possibly they came from a shielded world or something?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

darthbob88 posted:

The usual way this sort of thing happens is that they're a leader of a faction and then get elected from there, but that raises the question of WTF your xenophobic civ is doing giving xenos full citizenship and letting them become leaders. Possibly they came from a shielded world or something?

I haven't touched my policies and couldnt see anything about citizenship there anyway. Can my civ give xenos citizenship/eligibility on its own now? I seem to remember that being an option you could set yourself before. I don't even know what a shielded world is, but my only inhabited planets are my starting planet and three more previously uninhabited planets that I colonised myself.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Bloodly posted:

If there's a thing I'm getting seriously tired of, it's the game not accepting my upgrades because of the name 'already being in use'. Yes, I'm updating the Design of that exact ship, you moronic game. LET ME loving SAVE THE DESIGN. Even when you randomise it still doesn't let you save. And you can't delete the last design of a type.

I turn off auto-create-design, as I should.

The main reason I recall this happening is if one of your fleets with that design is currently going through upgrades - upgrades become locked until they're done. This applies even if they're not actually upgrading right now, just heading to a station after being ordered to upgrade. I'm not sure if that's exactly your issue, though, I seem to recall their warning was pretty explicit about the cause of the error being upgrading ships.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Wafflecopper posted:

I haven't touched my policies and couldnt see anything about citizenship there anyway. Can my civ give xenos citizenship/eligibility on its own now? I seem to remember that being an option you could set yourself before. I don't even know what a shielded world is, but my only inhabited planets are my starting planet and three more previously uninhabited planets that I colonised myself.

Citizenship is set on a species-by-species basis, under the imaginatively-labeled Species menu. That's where you can declare that certain species of xeno shall live in service to the Emperor, while others shall be purged with fire and sword and barbecue sauce. As far as I'm aware, xenos in Xenophobic empires can't have citizenship or become leaders, so the only real option would be some kind of event, like opening a shielded world left behind by a fallen/awakened empire.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

So I picked this up a while ago when it was on sale (I actually forgot I did) and I'm currently downloading it to give it a go. Civ 5 is the only experience I really have with 4x games and this is a whole new beast. What are some good beginner tips? Any recommended civics/government things to make things a bit easier for a first-timer?

Thanks!

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

darthbob88 posted:

Citizenship is set on a species-by-species basis, under the imaginatively-labeled Species menu. That's where you can declare that certain species of xeno shall live in service to the Emperor, while others shall be purged with fire and sword and barbecue sauce. As far as I'm aware, xenos in Xenophobic empires can't have citizenship or become leaders, so the only real option would be some kind of event, like opening a shielded world left behind by a fallen/awakened empire.

Species rights currently seem to be bugged; setting one species' rights will often set the same for all species.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Jimbot posted:

So I picked this up a while ago when it was on sale (I actually forgot I did) and I'm currently downloading it to give it a go. Civ 5 is the only experience I really have with 4x games and this is a whole new beast. What are some good beginner tips? Any recommended civics/government things to make things a bit easier for a first-timer?

Thanks!

For civics, go with some combination of Egalitarian and Xenophile for your first game. Those two mean almost everyone will like you, and it will be relatively easy to keep your population happy by just subscribing to the "don't be a dick" philosophy. Materialist is another good pick because it lets you set a standard of living that boosts research speed.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Get mining guilds for one of your starting civics, minerals are super important early game. I'd recommend making your species industrious too.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Plunging back in for the first time since the big update. Enjoying things so far.

I've never seen the Sanctuary ringworld system before. Am I right in thinking that if I try to transit through it, they'll blow us to poo poo?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

darthbob88 posted:

Thanks for the help. I'm pretty sure it was a bug - I loaded my game back up to check out the species menu (fwiw everyone had rights set to undesirables except my own race and robots) but my xeno Archon was gone and I had no Archon until the game gave me a normal one instead. I still had unhappiness about the xeno Archon at first but that disappeared when I got my new Archon. I definitely didn't trigger any shielded worlds or anything.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

evenworse username posted:

Plunging back in for the first time since the big update. Enjoying things so far.

I've never seen the Sanctuary ringworld system before. Am I right in thinking that if I try to transit through it, they'll blow us to poo poo?
You can skirt around the edge fine manually for a once off but don't get within weapons range.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Shadowlyger posted:

Species rights currently seem to be bugged; setting one species' rights will often set the same for all species.

I'm not sure if it was a bug or not, but I had my egalitarian mercantilists purge an off-shoot of their own race (what? they gene modded themselves some useless perks) by setting them to undesirables, so they starved out and disappeared from the species list. Thereafter, any new species brought into my empire by taking planets would start at undesirable and I'd have to scramble to up them to residency status. It was a little annoying. I dunno if they were inheriting the citizenship status set for the species that disappeared or what.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Arrath posted:

I'm not sure if it was a bug or not, but I had my egalitarian mercantilists purge an off-shoot of their own race (what? they gene modded themselves some useless perks) by setting them to undesirables, so they starved out and disappeared from the species list. Thereafter, any new species brought into my empire by taking planets would start at undesirable and I'd have to scramble to up them to residency status. It was a little annoying. I dunno if they were inheriting the citizenship status set for the species that disappeared or what.
There's a button in the species screen for setting the default species rights, maybe they got changed?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Splicer posted:

There's a button in the species screen for setting the default species rights, maybe they got changed?

There’s definitely issues with species rights atm. Several times I have tried to psionically assimilate ONE client race only to have the game say “got it, assimilate everyone simultaneously. On it chief”.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Splicer posted:

This seems to be the core of it. You change one species' rights and, for some reason, it also changes the default rights.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Captain Oblivious posted:

There’s definitely issues with species rights atm. Several times I have tried to psionically assimilate ONE client race only to have the game say “got it, assimilate everyone simultaneously. On it chief”.

Yeah I had the same thing where I know I set one specific race to Residency and it changed the default and all xenos to Residency.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Splicer posted:

Nah, it was still set to residence, weird bug.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

How do I queue up research? So I don't have to pop into research menus all the time, especially early game, selecting various techs?

Similarly, is there a way to automate construction ships so that they operate kind of like civ4's automated workers? Building mining/research stations everywhere in my domain, etc.?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

pmchem posted:

How do I queue up research? So I don't have to pop into research menus all the time, especially early game, selecting various techs?

Similarly, is there a way to automate construction ships so that they operate kind of like civ4's automated workers? Building mining/research stations everywhere in my domain, etc.?

You can't! As the available options beyond partially salvaged tech is re-rolled every time you complete a research.

Full automation? Nope, unless there's a mod for it. You can queue up orders with shift tho and have it build up as many systems as you have the minerals for.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Can anyone tell me how it will work if I set a population to be purged, then put the planet that has the being purged population into a sector, a sector that comprises only that system? Will it break anything, especially once all those pops are purged?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

pmchem posted:

systems controlled by sectors will be built up by sector construction ships