Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

Neurolimal posted:

As per Nurgle tourney rules his Mortarion was sloppily recasted with plaster, with his original handed off to a better nurgle player

Nurgle is a difficult god to follow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Neurolimal posted:

Who said 1d4chan is never worth reading :v:

Well-adjusted people

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Just went to my first 40k tournament! My flgs ran an escalation tournament and raffle. Entry was :10bux: and the proceeds went to purchase prizes for the raffle. It was mainly terrain, plus a prize for the guy in last place, brushes for the best painted model, which was chosen by the 10 year old daughter of the employee who was running the event :3: ) and the prize for showmanship. That prize, was something the store asked me to do for them, these little objective markers!

We made a base for them to sit in, which I forgot to take a picture of.

I ended up winning the prize, but declined it because I wanted it to be for someone else. :ohdear: My buddy ended up winning it and was super geeked about it, so it made me happy.

It was a really fun event with a 500pt game that had a hunter that could move 6" extra, and attack more.

The 1000pt game had an objective in the center that caused every 6 within 12" to add an additional 6, and thus more something. Boxcar perils? It's now 4 d6's that make the perils twice as deadly. Get a 6+ save? Now you saved 2 wounds. Me, I had emperor's children noise marines getting an extra attack on a 5 and 6 from dttfe already. The 6's caused an additional attack from the objective. Basically I had 20 melee attacks and wiped a deathwatch kill team. My friend also rolled multiple ones too making it worse.

The 1500pt game had Easter egg objectives, you could eat and gain command points from. Whomever had the most eggs won.

The 2000pt had a chocolate bunny beast that would charge 3d6 at the nearest unit unless it was in melee combat. Which if it were, at the start of any player turn, it would try to "wrestle free and escape wildly" causing a mortal wound for every 5+ on 3d6 to anything in base contact with it. If it wasn't in melee combat, it would charge the closest unit and on a 4+, cause a mortal wound on 7d6!

Sorry for the long post, but I was real jazzed about how fun it was. The missions were a riot, my friend's daughter made out with $14 bucks in cash from people in the room, and a crap load of candy people got her. She would take bribes in exchange for tickets, and she would randomly run up and say some kid stuff about your models, and drop off bonus tickets for people.

Super good time, would ham again.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Booley posted:

shadowswords are fair and balanced tanks

They're hilariously undercosted. They'd be cheap at 100pts higher. Hopefully this FAQ drops in the week and they get a bump.

E: one thing to keep in mind with Adepticon is that apparently the terrain is once again not very good, particularly in terms of LoS blocking. I'm starting to think at least some of the problem for these giant US events is their reach exceeding their grasp terrain-wise - I'd be interested to see if things improved if they cut the tournament entries in half and tried to put good quality terrain on every board rather than having 500+ people playing on pool tables.

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Just went to my first 40k tournament! My flgs ran an escalation tournament and raffle. Entry was :10bux: and the proceeds went to purchase prizes for the raffle. It was mainly terrain, plus a prize for the guy in last place, brushes for the best painted model, which was chosen by the 10 year old daughter of the employee who was running the event :3: ) and the prize for showmanship. That prize, was something the store asked me to do for them, these little objective markers!

We made a base for them to sit in, which I forgot to take a picture of.

I ended up winning the prize, but declined it because I wanted it to be for someone else. :ohdear: My buddy ended up winning it and was super geeked about it, so it made me happy.

It was a really fun event with a 500pt game that had a hunter that could move 6" extra, and attack more.

The 1000pt game had an objective in the center that caused every 6 within 12" to add an additional 6, and thus more something. Boxcar perils? It's now 4 d6's that make the perils twice as deadly. Get a 6+ save? Now you saved 2 wounds. Me, I had emperor's children noise marines getting an extra attack on a 5 and 6 from dttfe already. The 6's caused an additional attack from the objective. Basically I had 20 melee attacks and wiped a deathwatch kill team. My friend also rolled multiple ones too making it worse.

The 1500pt game had Easter egg objectives, you could eat and gain command points from. Whomever had the most eggs won.

The 2000pt had a chocolate bunny beast that would charge 3d6 at the nearest unit unless it was in melee combat. Which if it were, at the start of any player turn, it would try to "wrestle free and escape wildly" causing a mortal wound for every 5+ on 3d6 to anything in base contact with it. If it wasn't in melee combat, it would charge the closest unit and on a 4+, cause a mortal wound on 7d6!

Sorry for the long post, but I was real jazzed about how fun it was. The missions were a riot, my friend's daughter made out with $14 bucks in cash from people in the room, and a crap load of candy people got her. She would take bribes in exchange for tickets, and she would randomly run up and say some kid stuff about your models, and drop off bonus tickets for people.

Super good time, would ham again.

This is awesome. Love those objectives.

Living Image fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Mar 25, 2018

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Terrain is such a critical component of a solid match. I agree it doesn't get the focus it should.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

With the huge events I'm guessing it's probably more an issue of just having enough terrain available instead of the TOs wanting sparse tables.

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
I have been enjoying our FLGS 40k tournaments, we have been doing 75pl or 1500pts (we just kinda alternate, sometimes its nice to just throw down with PL, other times crafting a list is fun).
We limit it to 2 detachments, with only 2 and the lower point levels, its not as easy to just slap in the best stuff and soup list it up. It also makes the games go a little faster and lets more games actually finish.

We just play 3 rounds, with the missions known ahead of time, if you go undefeated you get a prize, if you are fully painted you get a raffle ticket for a prize, then everyone that hasn't won something raffles off door prizes. No big payout, but lots of people go home with more than their entry fee, or something, which I like. Spreading the prize money out makes it not as WAAC, people come to have fun. Now and then a power list comes along (the guilliman and techmarine completely surrounded by razorbacks that never move was boring as gently caress) but they tend to not repeat, that guy brought a more interactive list the next time.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Floppychop posted:

With the huge events I'm guessing it's probably more an issue of just having enough terrain available instead of the TOs wanting sparse tables.

I know that NOVA spends days having volunteers help make terrain.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Booley posted:

I don't know why you'd ever do that when you can do this:

This is extremely cool. I’m guessing you had a reason not to do Librarian blue armour - do all your Libs have red armour?

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
It's common knowledge that red ones go faster and with Quickening and Wings of Sanguinius it's hard to argue that

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Autism Sneaks posted:

It's common knowledge that red ones go faster and with Quickening and Wings of Sanguinius it's hard to argue that

Good point :orks:

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Floppychop posted:

Yeah I know, that's why I mentioned downsizing the events - if you're struggling to put on enough terrain for 500 people or whatever size Adepticon is, maybe the answer is to not have 250 tables of crap terrain but to make the event more manageable.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I'm sure the community would react really well to cutting down on the number of participants available for the major tournaments because they don't have enough Terrain.

The reeeeees could be heard from space.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Seems like a good solution might be some arrangement where you bring some amount of terrain along yourself. Much like providing your own based objective markers.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I find it awful suspicious that you guys go from talking about how great the Edition is in every other post to talking about how everything needs to be fixed every other post literally the day after I buy an updated rule book for the first time since 2010.

:colbert:

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Eifert Posting posted:

I find it awful suspicious that you guys go from talking about how great the Edition is in every other post to talking about how everything needs to be fixed every other post literally the day after I buy an updated rule book for the first time since 2010.

Goons ruin everything.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

Eifert Posting posted:

This edition is good. Rules are fairly straightforward. Unlike 7th there aren’t armies that are fighting uphill (maybe Genestealer Cults but wait on the codex). There’s some issues - some of the flavour from random tables / turning your Chaos Lord into a Spawn is now gone. AoS has more interesting rules interaction between units I feel and the bonuses are more interesting. But it’s a fun game to play with friends and drink beer and eat pizza and not get to 2am, and realise you’ve hosed up the rules for a super heavy gargantuan model and everyone is bloody fearless. Open war cards are a godsend for generating fun scenarios.

Get some good friends and a lot of terrain and it’s all gravy.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Eifert Posting posted:

The problems are fixable imo. The problems of 7th were systematic. The problems of 8th are fixable by addressing some specific units/relics and deleting Supreme Command.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Eifert Posting posted:

It's a fukken conspiracy!

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

gender illusionist posted:

It's a fukken conspiracy!

All this talk about community outreach from GW... I should have realized it came at a cost.

:negative:

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Floppychop posted:

A lot of it is how much they're willing to work on it. At the Renegade Open in Minnesota last year, we spent a good month just building and creating terrain. Got donations from local stores. Worked our asses off to get a lot. I like to think we had every table pretty well filled with good, large pieces of terrain that all featured good line of sight blocking pieces. That event was about 100 people. As we keep growing, we'll keep building more.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Eifert Posting posted:

Think of it this way: you rarely saw arguments about balance and what needs changing in 5-7e, because it was just a given that the game was ridiculous to play and had no balance at all. The fact that there can be pages long discussions about what could be fixed is a good sign that 8e is moving the game towards a good place.

A lot of the issues just come down to:
1. first version of an experimental allies system
2. An uneccessary bone thrown to cheese armies from 7e (Supreme Command)

There's some units that need a higher points cost, but those two things encompass a lot of current issues.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
RE: Terrain chat: Adepticon has entire rows of tables set up with themed terrain, six tables to a row and something like 10 rows of tables on each side of the aisle. They're not hurting for terrain, and their terrain is not sparse.

They also have some fuckin' sick Necromunda tables set up. I wish my LGS had the terrain to set up literally 1% of that number of tables at that quality.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Finished up the test model for my Skitarii Vanguard House Guard for my House Taranis Knights.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Zuul the Cat posted:

Finished up the test model for my Skitarii Vanguard House Guard for my House Taranis Knights.

Yes.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Strobe posted:

RE: Terrain chat: Adepticon has entire rows of tables set up with themed terrain, six tables to a row and something like 10 rows of tables on each side of the aisle. They're not hurting for terrain, and their terrain is not sparse.

They also have some fuckin' sick Necromunda tables set up. I wish my LGS had the terrain to set up literally 1% of that number of tables at that quality.

I'm hearing the opposite but obviously I haven't actually been so I can't tell first hand. People were commenting on the Nids doing particularly well due to lack of LoS blockers.

Zuul the Cat posted:

Love this. Skitarii bits are so effortless in making the basic Cadian dudes look 10x better.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Corrode posted:

Love this. Skitarii bits are so effortless in making the basic Cadian dudes look 10x better.
While you're not wrong, that's not a cadian body.
Looks like a GSC dude.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Groetgaffel posted:

Looks like a GSC dude.

I have no idea what you're talking about! Looks like a normal Imperial citizen to me!

:ssh:

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Neophyte Hybrid torsos and legs, Vanguard Head & arms/guns.

My only issue with them is they hunch over a lot, but it’s not that big of a deal.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I have a confession. Matt Root and I are friends. I let him borrow some of my models for Adepticon since I didn't go. I enabled the Hive Tyrant spam list that won it. I am sorry. Those were MY models on the table.

Also, Root and a few other friends of mine played against the GW Design team in the team tournament. Nids vs Nids. Roots team of course ran Flyrant spam while the GW team had a balanced list. It ended as you would expect. I have a feeling that game will contribute to Flyrants getting nerfed.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Groetgaffel posted:

Looks like a GSC dude.

Oh my bad. I've never really looked at GSC.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Master Twig posted:

I have a confession. Matt Root and I are friends. I let him borrow some of my models for Adepticon since I didn't go. I enabled the Hive Tyrant spam list that won it. I am sorry. Those were MY models on the table.

Also, Root and a few other friends of mine played against the GW Design team in the team tournament. Nids vs Nids. Roots team of course ran Flyrant spam while the GW team had a balanced list. It ended as you would expect. I have a feeling that game will contribute to Flyrants getting nerfed.

Wow, goons do ruin everything! :bahgawd:

I'm happy Nids are back to being competitive at a top level though. Even with a bit of a Tyrant nerf they're still pretty great.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

PierreTheMime posted:

Wow, goons do ruin everything! :bahgawd:

I'm happy Nids are back to being competitive at a top level though. Even with a bit of a Tyrant nerf they're still pretty great.

Yeah, I use Hive Tyrants and I think they need a price increase. I say up wings by 10 points, and make Monstrous Rending Claws cost 17 points a pair. (And then decrease the price of Broodlords by 35 to compensate and make them cheaper.)

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Master Twig posted:

Cheers on having your models in the second-place list! :toot:

I still think a GSC guardsmen + hive tyrant army could look pretty cool if painted and bashed together. Bonus if you give the tyrants a saddle and put GSC on them :v:

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Master Twig posted:

Yeah, I use Hive Tyrants and I think they need a price increase. I say up wings by 10 points, and make Monstrous Rending Claws cost 17 points a pair. (And then decrease the price of Broodlords by 35 to compensate and make them cheaper.)

Yup. Broodlords and Tyranid Primes need a sizable decrease, possibly followed by Tervigons and Swarmie himself. Neurothropes need a bump, they're just so good for 70pts.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

PierreTheMime posted:

Yup. Broodlords and Tyranid Primes need a sizable decrease, possibly followed by Tervigons and Swarmie himself. Neurothropes need a bump, they're just so good for 70pts.

My totally objective, as a Tyranid player, view on Tyranid HQ choices and how they should be fairly priced:

Hive Tyrants - as stated above. Increase wings by 10, MRC +17 points. All the rest the same.
Swarmlord - Keep him 300 points. +2 attacks. Up damage to 4 on his boneswords. Let him cast an additional power and get +1 to his psychic tests.
Broodlords - drop by 34 points. Pay for MRCs. Final price is 145.
Tyranid Prime - Drop base price to 70.
Tervigon - Drop base price to 175.
Neurothrope - Increase to 80 points.
Malanthrope - Decrease to 115 points.
Ole One Eye - Decrease to 185 points.

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.
My copy of Forgebane has arrived, so I can start sub-assembling the first parts of my exciting new skeleton horde (paints I need are coming with my preorder of the new stuff, so just sub-assembling and black spraying for now).

I am looking at the Canoptek Wraith sprue and slightly wondering what the hell I’ve got myself into. This should be interesting.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Master Twig posted:

My totally objective, as a Tyranid player, view on Tyranid HQ choices and how they should be fairly priced:

Hive Tyrants - as stated above. Increase wings by 10, MRC +17 points. All the rest the same.
Swarmlord - Keep him 300 points. +2 attacks. Up damage to 4 on his boneswords. Let him cast an additional power and get +1 to his psychic tests.

Mostly agree, though I think another 5-10 points on the Neurothrope. As for the Swarmlord, I’d assume most adjustments to models are going to be points based on the first Chapter Approved update.

One_Wing posted:

My copy of Forgebane has arrived, so I can start sub-assembling the first parts of my exciting new skeleton horde (paints I need are coming with my preorder of the new stuff, so just sub-assembling and black spraying for now).

I am looking at the Canoptek Wraith sprue and slightly wondering what the hell I’ve got myself into. This should be interesting.

Compared the the vehicles the Wraiths are actually really pretty simple.

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Mar 25, 2018

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

One_Wing posted:

Wraiths are one of the easier kits to put together, don’t worry.

Here’s mine I did about 5 years ago, still need to base them properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Master Twig posted:

I posted a very similar approach not long ago, but with just reducing the Swarmlord & Tyrant Guard in points slightly to make walking lists more viable. I also hope the flyrant nerf doesn't affect walkrants.

If the Smite change becomes permanent I don't think the Neurothrope should go up beyond 75-80, but I would like to see the Tyranid Prime become the go-to cheap HQ option instead. Not only would it be fluffier, but I've barely used the four I have.

Hopefully we'll see the FAQ today now that the Adepticon tournament is done.