Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Hostile V posted:

Better to reign in Hell than serve in Clevin.

:vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Operant posted:

The protagonist in this comic and my comic have the same name and it really confused me in the webcomics thread. Now no longer!

Also, comic is excellent.

:captainpop:

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I wonder if Alison would be Royalty.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Operant posted:

The protagonist in this comic and my comic have the same name and it really confused me in the webcomics thread. Now no longer!

Also, comic is excellent.
Have you seen the crossovers?

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
24 White Clevin

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

I like the Wabbit Season shirt. Really hammering in that point that Alison is responsible for the one positive memory Patrick has. If you look at the actual plot points of the comic Alison doesn't really come off as a Mary Sue, but it's in how everything revolves around her, how she's certain characters' best or only friend despite actually spending little time with them, how Clevin doesn't have anything going on in his life except his relationship with Alison, to the point where he feels depressed when she pays attention to anybody else, or how Patrick's only positive memory, indeed, his only worthwhile character trait, comes from Alison.

tl;dr When's Clevin coming back? Where's my dear sweet boy? Clevin's a character with actual issues, man.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

PetraCore posted:

The guy who said it keeps upvoting his own posts to boost them and is also arguing that they have to police the comment section to save it from badly behaving white male gamergaters.

Him and his alt-account are also calling you a sociopath inbetween praising Jordan Peterson as some sort of ubermench, so maybe don't worry so much about what he thinks about anything, lol

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

pospysyl posted:

I like the Wabbit Season shirt. Really hammering in that point that Alison is responsible for the one positive memory Patrick has. If you look at the actual plot points of the comic Alison doesn't really come off as a Mary Sue, but it's in how everything revolves around her, how she's certain characters' best or only friend despite actually spending little time with them, how Clevin doesn't have anything going on in his life except his relationship with Alison, to the point where he feels depressed when she pays attention to anybody else, or how Patrick's only positive memory, indeed, his only worthwhile character trait, comes from Alison.

tl;dr When's Clevin coming back? Where's my dear sweet boy? Clevin's a character with actual issues, man.
Yeah basically. I could like Allison a lot in the hands of a better writer, buuuut.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Crimpolioni posted:

Him and his alt-account are also calling you a sociopath inbetween praising Jordan Peterson as some sort of ubermench, so maybe don't worry so much about what he thinks about anything, lol
It's so dumb and obvious.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

This was back when the comic was pretty good though. In the misty depths of time when the characters had angles.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
It was never good.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

corn in the bible posted:

It was never good.

At that time it was a decent attempt at a decent concept which the writer was spectacularly unprepared to flesh out past the first three chapters or so. Not as good as K6BD by any means but not bad.
A major difference is that early on the mistakes and emotions felt much more organic; Allison was dealing with a lot of rage and college aimlessness, and tryin to figure out how to make a difference. That was relatable! Her weird conflict between Nietzschean self-regard and her belief in the futility of her violent actions meant her quest for a way to turn power into useful change was immature in a way that read as intentional, not a product of the writer being muddled and self-involved.
And then things kept going and we all know how that went.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Everyone forgot about Mommy getting stabbed. :confused:

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
That would make Patrick not fixed and Allison wrong sooo....

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Joe Slowboat posted:

At that time it was a decent attempt at a decent concept which the writer was spectacularly unprepared to flesh out past the first three chapters or so. Not as good as K6BD by any means but not bad.
A major difference is that early on the mistakes and emotions felt much more organic; Allison was dealing with a lot of rage and college aimlessness, and tryin to figure out how to make a difference. That was relatable! Her weird conflict between Nietzschean self-regard and her belief in the futility of her violent actions meant her quest for a way to turn power into useful change was immature in a way that read as intentional, not a product of the writer being muddled and self-involved.
And then things kept going and we all know how that went.

Its "original concept" was "what if Watchmen but lazier", SFP only actually developed any kind of personality or voice of its own once it started really getting into its stride of pro-murder/rape fishhook theory fascism.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Mar 23, 2018

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

I said decent, not novel, for the basic idea. The persona and specific use of the superhero story to discuss the experience of a millennial college student who's never really struggled but instead is privileged with immense freedom of action, that worked decently.

I'm not talking a TV Tropes 'we stuck a Deconstruction on a Flying Brixk and it's a new configuration!' I'm talking about the actual content of the story and its purpose, which was to discuss how someone with privilege can try to help others and mess up helping others. Alison's relationship with Cleaver was the most interesting element, because it was a discussion of how her privilege and good luck allowed her to be morally lauded and 'heroic' when in fact that was just the path of least resistance, and for him the path of least resistance was becoming a hated criminal. There was a sense of pretty young adults trying to figure out how to actually make a difference in the world with a metaphorical filter, and it was decent at that.

Of course, it turns out the author has no answer to the question 'how does an individual with privilege change the world' because his own answer appears to be 'make this comic and get deep into Philosophy 101 discussions about forcing abstract libertarians to do magic.'

As soon as the comic was 'capes, but they can't change things with punching!' Rather than 'capes as figurative discussion of post-adolescent uncertainty' with a certain degree of 'I have the most capability of anyone I know and therefore am most likely to gently caress everything up' it did a nosedive - that's why Alison enjoying fighting Cleaver is actually a good character note. She just wants to cut loose and use her power, flex her muscles, and that impulse is probably destructive but it's incredibly cathartic to just smash through things secure in one's own ability to survive. That's extremely relatable when you're in college, which I was when I started reading this.

Edit to add: it was Watchmen but a metaphor for figuring out how to politics in college, which is the perfect fit for Watchmen. Gen it turned out the author was precisely as shallow as the character, and hasn't developed at all. Alison can't grow because the author hasn't grown.

Joe Slowboat fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Mar 23, 2018

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Watchmen was basically perfect for a late 80s super hero/ military obsessed culture I remember growing up in. It had a more optimistic view that the yuppism and libertarianism would get its comeuppance instead of the real horrible reality we exist in. Basically the giant squid was the better outcome. :smith:

rose of sharon
Mar 21, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
i will stick this comic so far up my rear end that it will be reverse-digested on its way through my meandering tubes and in three days i will vomit out a heartbreakingly perfect work of art, much like what happened to our lord and saviour, jesus christ

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Its "original concept" was "what if Watchmen but lazier", SFP only actually developed any kind of personality or voice of its own once it started really getting into its stride of pro-murder/rape fishhook theory fascism.

It's not Watchmen as much as various iterations of Teen Titans/X-Men that get reinvented/repeated every 10 years. "Superpowers as a metaphor for generational angst" isn't a novel concept, but it's fair to try examining how exactly millennial angst would be expressed that way. It's a shame that regular cape comics are just starting to get around to that and already doing it better, though.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
It genuinely just bewilders me how anyone is conflicted about whether or not this will have a perfect, happy outcome and how fans of this piss think it's in anyway deep or intriguing.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Nuebot posted:

It genuinely just bewilders me how anyone is conflicted about whether or not this will have a perfect, happy outcome and how fans of this piss think it's in anyway deep or intriguing.

It requires deep, deep denial but you'd be amazed how far 'they might get to it someday!' Is going to carry those last fans.

They still say that about Alison's consequences for brutally forcing a libertarian to bend over and do his magic.

Joe Slowboat fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Mar 24, 2018

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

rose of sharon posted:

i will stick this comic so far up my rear end that it will be reverse-digested on its way through my meandering tubes and in three days i will vomit out a heartbreakingly perfect work of art, much like what happened to our lord and saviour, jesus christ

glad to see you :glomp:

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

This is basically Tommy but bad.

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015

Joe Slowboat posted:

It requires deep, deep denial but you'd be amazed how far 'they might get to it someday!' Is going to carry those last fans.

Yeah, I finally hit my limit with another comic yesterday. There's only so far you can keep telling yourself that the author's going to turn it around before you have to admit that, no, they're actually saying what it looks like they're saying.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Emrikol posted:

Yeah, I finally hit my limit with another comic yesterday. There's only so far you can keep telling yourself that the author's going to turn it around before you have to admit that, no, they're actually saying what it looks like they're saying.

Which?

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015

Endtown.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

What the hell is Endtown trying to say?

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
It's hard to just summarize because there's so much, and never quite anything so clear-cut that it's totally undeniable (hence the long-drawn-out "this looks bad, but let's wait and see if it's going somewhere" reaction), but the shortest way I can put it is that I think Black Lives Matter broke Aaron Neathery's brain.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Emrikol posted:

It's hard to just summarize because there's so much, and never quite anything so clear-cut that it's totally undeniable (hence the long-drawn-out "this looks bad, but let's wait and see if it's going somewhere" reaction), but the shortest way I can put it is that I think Black Lives Matter broke Aaron Neathery's brain.

Please explain for the class this sounds great/awful :allears:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I checked and I guess the current storyline is about how civil rights activists are just murderers who want to commit genocide

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Emrikol posted:

Yeah

But also the cops are straight up literal triggerhappy fascist rats and there's some kind of shadowy conspiracy to frame black wolves as the scapegoats for uuuuh cannibalism, and also the real power behind the government is some Mary Sue Dr. Who motherfucker, so outside a kinda general "every side sucks, people are terrible" lazy cynicism vibe I'm having a hard time pulling anything coherent out of it. Comic shoulda probably ended cleanly after the arc about that dude and his cow wife, I don't think the guy had any idea what to do with it afterward.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Mar 24, 2018

rose of sharon
Mar 21, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Comic shoulda probably ended cleanly after the arc about that dude and his cow wife
the classic hero's journey plot beat

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
It sounds worse than the hit Netflix movie Bright.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

If your webcomic doesn't have cow marriage, why are you even making it

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

What the hell. I was absolutely sure that Alison destroying the wall would gently caress up Patrick, leading to an arc where she realizes that using force to make people do things is wrong (hello, spoiled rich kid's wealthy, well-connected, and likely vengeful family!), but apparently not. I loved the bulk of this comic up until now, but I'm probably going to drop it if things don't improve.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Elephant Parade posted:

What the hell. I was absolutely sure that Alison destroying the wall would gently caress up Patrick, leading to an arc where she realizes that using force to make people do things is wrong (hello, spoiled rich kid's wealthy, well-connected, and likely vengeful family!), but apparently not. I loved the bulk of this comic up until now, but I'm probably going to drop it if things don't improve.

lol

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Elephant Parade posted:

I am very sorry

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Elephant Parade posted:

lmao

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Elephant Parade posted:

Better late than never

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Elephant Parade posted:

What did you love about it? Was it all the pasta? Or was it how big Clevin's dad is?

• Locked thread