Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Cross Lubbins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

G0RF posted:

They had far more people spending far more time developing the Mining Ship than the Mining Mechanics.

To be fair, doors are hard.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Nyast posted:

W... wait... did he just say that they started working on MINING at the beginning of this year ?

Wasn't it supposed to be in 3.0 ? Did I miss something ?

Why isn't there a backer outrage about this ? How can they have scheduled mining in 3.0 if they hadn't even started working on it ?

You don't understand ROBERTS AGILE development.

Chris is a slippery one, "[basic mining in 3.0] is something that we're absolutely trying to achieve."

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

ps: Oh look, someone actually paid 10 bux to post Red text. loving lame. At least add a loving avatar you lazy, incompetent prick. :argh:

:rolleyes:

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

happyhippy posted:

To be fair, doors are hard.

Before Star Citizen came along I’d never have believed it. But thanks to their revolutionary transparency via Open Development, I now see it plainly.

Just Friday, I learned all kinds of new things. Like that year 6 of Development is when a Space Sim centered on flight and combat should actually start paying attention to their Flight Model. I’d have thought stuff like that was Year One priority subject to constant refinement and improvements in the years after but it’s not. At all. Chris Roberts himself said it and he’s a founding father of space gaming so he outta know!

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

G0RF posted:

Before Star Citizen came along I’d never have believed it. But thanks to their revolutionary transparency via Open Development, I now see it plainly.

Just Friday, I learned all kinds of new things. Like that year 6 of Development is when a Space Sim centered on flight and combat should actually start paying attention to their Flight Model. I’d have thought stuff like that was Year One priority subject to constant refinement and improvements in the years after but it’s not. At all. Chris Roberts himself said it and he’s a founding father of space gaming so he outta know!

poo poo like this is why "you just don't understand game development" gets funnier every time I hear it

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Lol

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

phosdex posted:

am I mixing up the idiots or was lando the one who claimed he was a former owner or someone high up in a minor league baseball team and then it turned out he was a concessions guy?

Can confirm Lando was a higher up in the minor leagues. He would start on the top row of the stadium and work his way down: "Hot dogs, peanuts, beer here!"

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/DualShockers/status/977986736327290881

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer
Lol

F1 racing semi-catamaran c/w space-rudder

Is it supposed to land upside down?

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Alan Smithee posted:

you really gonna pedant me in here gently caress off

see you in the trump thread I guess

lol

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
bring back the bearplorable posting from earlier

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
Ubernerd speculating on how Land Claims may turn into player Hangar Storage locations feels pretty on point. Mitauchi “our outposts are destructible though aren’t they?”

That’s why you really need the assurance of UEE protection!

CIG hasn’t explicitly stated it but I do suspect the plan is to combine Land Claims plans with Player Hangars, with a hard pivot to selling real estate (land claims + structures of varying sizes / expenses.) They have so many players so deeply invested in ships yet tired of buying more. (Viola now players can visit each other’s Hangars... in theory...)

They also are long overdue to make ships purchaseable via in-game currency. But if they oblige players who want a planetary home to buy or rent hangars (rentals being the equivalent of a monthly subscription in all but name) they could make real estate a new revenue center as they trade ship monetization for real estate sales (with cash.)

This is, I suspect, the central driving development priority for the PU this year — with CitizenCon being where the grand pivot to real estate debuts. Erin told “Bluesky” BoredGamer that of all the things he was most excited about for the PU this year, Land Claims were atop the list. Ship exhaustion is obvious from the extended Sales but with whales so deeply invested in ships, the desire to give them a proper home on a planetary body will be palpable. And the Cliffords of the world will splurge on a sprawling luxury estate where his second life can begin in earnest. (Or his third, I guess, due to living The Miku Life on the side.)

Structures / Hangars / Estates are far simpler assets to generate and their procedural structure tech can be a money printer that doesn’t end up with a 2+ year pipeline like ships do. No complicate physics grid concerns either...

EDIT: This Space Bro Show really is great. Their umbrage about CR craptalking Sea of Thieves is refreshing. How funny they don’t seem to realize Chris does this frequently.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Mar 25, 2018

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

That's Not How Capitalisation Works

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
Star Citizen gets new trailers.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

SomethingJones posted:

Star Citizen gets new trailers.

And not much else.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

G0RF posted:

Even as they’re affirming the major changes, the old habits of revision and hubris die hard. Neither can admit what a debacle 3.0 has been and Chris’s Sea of Thieves snarking (“we have far more gameplay and are so much bigger”) is truly classic but the fact that no one is playing his supposedly deeper game while his loyal streamers are actually playing the shallow, smaller Sea of Thieves shows just how much people actually DO care about Fun. That cliched virtue that Chris seems to have forgotten about long ago actually is kind of important. Whodathunk?

One of the cutest things about Chris is that it always feels like he's out of touch with everything going on around him.

We've only actually seen him try to play his own game one time, and that single time spawned years of hilarious gifs and other things. But the root of it was he had no idea about his own game. He acted and played it as if it was the first time he's ever seen it. He commented on such things as bashing his own chat interface, etc.

So from the standpoint where he really doesn't know and probably most importantly doesn't care about what his own game can actually for real do, all he needs to do is assume. So he goes on record bashing other games and studios because he can only assume his is better. For him though, his assumptions are his for real belief.

This is sort of his wizardry that has helped to keep his dumpster fire burning though. His complete inability to recognize the failure of his game and just blindly ignore its condition and tout it like its better than anything has given people willpower to believe in his lies.

Unfortunately however, because he's also got this sycophantic-like part public and people whom already believe his game is better than most AAA products as is, it's going to be tough for him to believe anything less.

There's a hilarious possibility that all the paid internet management companies he has doing social media crowd control are some of the people he listens to and is told about. It's very likely he has no idea what those users are. So his companies finger on the pulse may be dead set on listening to the people they are paying to turn the tide of belief. Pure misunderstanding.

Now how to explain how they continually make the same amount of money each year even at this stage of doubt and shaking belief? Dunno! :)

My best guess here is there is a larger bank account nobody knows about that is continually piping a set amount of money into CIG at pretty even intervals. May be in the form of those magical "completionist packages" that just randomly get sold about once a day or something but naturally nobody ever claims to be the buyer of. I would be hard pressed to believe any company working via donations would continually make almost the same amount of yearly revenue. Especially when confidence is lowering.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

G0RF posted:

Ubernerd speculating on how Land Claims may turn into player Hangar Storage locations feels pretty on point. Mitauchi “our outposts are destructible though aren’t they?”

That’s why you really need the assurance of UEE protection!

CIG hasn’t explicitly stated it but I do suspect the plan is to combine Land Claims plans with Player Hangars, with a hard pivot to selling real estate (land claims + structures of varying sizes / expenses.) They have so many players so deeply invested in ships yet tired of buying more. (Viola now players can visit each other’s Hangars... in theory...)

They also are long overdue to make ships purchaseable via in-game currency. But if they oblige players who want a planetary home to buy or rent hangars (rentals being the equivalent of a monthly subscription in all but name) they could make real estate a new revenue center as they trade ship monetization for real estate sales (with cash.)

This is, I suspect, the central driving development priority for the PU this year — with CitizenCon being where the grand pivot to real estate debuts. Erin told “Bluesky” BoredGamer that of all the things he was most excited about for the PU this year, Land Claims were atop the list. Ship exhaustion is obvious from the extended Sales but with whales so deeply invested in ships, the desire to give them a proper home on a planetary body will be palpable. And the Cliffords of the world will splurge on a sprawling luxury estate where his second life can begin in earnest. (Or his third, I guess, due to living The Miku Life on the side.)

Structures / Hangars / Estates are far simpler assets to generate and their procedural structure tech can be a money printer that doesn’t end up with a 2+ year pipeline like ships do. No complicate physics grid concerns either...

EDIT: This Space Bro Show really is great. Their umbrage about CR craptalking Sea of Thieves is refreshing. How funny they don’t seem to realize Chris does this frequently.

Where did CR poo poo on Sea of Thieves? I must have missed that.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Beet Wagon posted:

SomethingJones posted:

I mean, you know... SEA OF THIEVES just came out and, you know, we have like MORE VARIETY OF MISSIONS, a HELL OF A LOT MORE SHIPS, a BUNCH MORE STUFF that you can do, and a LOT MORE AREA TO PLAY IN

But you know THEY spent a lot more time polishing some of their... their BASIC STUFF... I know people complain that they still want more FEATURES and that, cos gamers are generally like, 'I WANT MORE! I WANT MORE!' all the time... But I mean, we've been talking internally about, you know, Star Citizen is not a SPRINT it's a LONG... ha-haha! It's... It's... very... you know... it's more than a MARATHON you know, it's more like a WALK AROUND THE WORLD

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Beet Wagon posted:

Dark Off posted:

you know CR reminds me of pat roper
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IujP9GDcp-Y&t=361s
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Games_by_Apollo

now compare that to latest rtv.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYmIVatNQrg&t=610s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYmIVatNQrg&t=928s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYmIVatNQrg&t=2801s

you can find tons of more examples in other news pieces CR has done.
More lethal fps than call of duty.
better than elite dangerous.
etc..

Cr is always looking at competition thinking that he can do that better and bigger.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

He's not slamming Sea of Thieves, he's having a stroke. Don't make fun of people like that.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

The Titanic posted:

One of the cutest things about Chris is that it always feels like he's out of touch with everything going on around him.

We've only actually seen him try to play his own game one time, and that single time spawned years of hilarious gifs and other things. But the root of it was he had no idea about his own game. He acted and played it as if it was the first time he's ever seen it. He commented on such things as bashing his own chat interface, etc.

So from the standpoint where he really doesn't know and probably most importantly doesn't care about what his own game can actually for real do, all he needs to do is assume. So he goes on record bashing other games and studios because he can only assume his is better. For him though, his assumptions are his for real belief.

I've thought for quite some time now that he genuinely has no hands on with the production and everyone just keeps him happy by checking off their tasks.

Just keep the boss happy and off your back.

And Erin is hosed because his job is to keep his lot employed so he'll be doing similar.

'X' is now in the game Chris.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

:aaaaa:

Jesus, even with the somewhat tepid reviews of Sea of Thieves's amount of content, would absolutely not be stacking my poo poo against anybody else's poo poo right now if I were CR. The irony here is he actually spells out why what he's saying is moronic as poo poo: "if it all works together..."

Well bad news thumbdude, it doesn't. That's why you're always going to lose comparing yourself to another game right now. Because in SoT you actually can multicrew a ship, and it works. You can be the hull-patching dude, and it'll work. And more than that, it's fun. When Star Citizen has that, then you can start talking about "number of missions" or number of ships (lol) and poo poo.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

AlbieQuirky posted:

He plays aging nerds like Yo-Yo Ma plays the cello. :colbert:

:lol:

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

The Titanic posted:

He was clearly seeing the chat interface for the first time. That had been in for a while. He literally had never recently played the game he is developing. I suspect he had exclusively seen other people play the game and demonstrate things to him. How could you ever make a game like that?

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Crobbers is probably mad at sea of thieves because it has actual fun in it. Or because the water has more fidelity in it than star citizer. Or because it is successful. Or or or

https://i.imgur.com/xvAhpNk.mp4

edit: Has anyone said "Brown sea of thieves"?

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

G0RF posted:

What about the players who already have hangars, but don't want to purchase land? I wonder how that's going to go.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/977222663025381376
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/977630154129371136
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/977638921143312384

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

The Titanic posted:

you just don't understand conman development

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

Slow_Moe posted:

Crobbers is probably mad at sea of thieves because it has actual fun in it. Or because the water has more fidelity in it than star citizer. Or because it is successful. Or or or

I imaging this will lead next to Croberts planning a Waterworld, and of course, specialized JPGs that can take advantage of both space and ocean environments.

I mean, spaceships are basically submarines, but spaceships are not like sailing ships.

However a few customized JPG designs can take care of that omission.

ATTENTION CIG interns: please have Croberts send me 1% royalties on every sailing-ship.jpg sold in exchange for my idea: thank you.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Another engine switch incoming.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Crops Rivulets

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

kw0134 posted:

He's not slamming Sea of Thieves, he's having a stroke. Don't make fun of people like that.

Both hands were moving so I assumed he was fine and just doing 'ships'

Pixelate fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Mar 25, 2018

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Slow_Moe posted:

Don't go in the water

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Should I feel dirty for wanting to play Sea Of Thieves?

Looks like a loving hoot to play, even has drinking and puking in it. :thumbsup:

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Sabreseven posted:

Should I feel dirty for wanting to play Sea Of Thieves?

Looks like a loving hoot to play, even has drinking and puking in it. :thumbsup:

Its exactly the opposite of star citizen in every way

It's a game. And its released

You can hop into a game with other people and multi crew a ship , usually within 1 minute

Pvp and pve both work

The water is very fidelitious !

You can drink and play sea chanties with your crew

And best of all you can totally ruin someone's day , all using the ingame mechanics

It may not be around 6 months from now due to lack of content and variation but it is a total riot to play right now

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

nnnotime posted:

I imaging this will lead next to Croberts planning a Waterworld, and of course, specialized JPGs that can take advantage of both space and ocean environments.

He's probably already asking for that invisible Cryengine water to be made visible again.

Pixelate fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Mar 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
New Battlescape update made gas giant a lot more gassy and added some cool new battle locations.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GN0TXZR2Z64