Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Lorini posted:

I'm running into those guys and they are murdering my party. I'm fairly sure I'm underleveled.

Hey is anyone using Tani? I'm not and now am wondering if I should.

Nah one of the purple fights got me a hammer for her dad that was 3x as good as any other weapon so I've been on him nonstop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I use whoever I have the strongest ranged weapon for at the time

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

I use whoever I have the strongest ranged weapon for at the time

You do your fighting mostly at range? I'm doing melee, again maybe that's the issue as well. Or maybe I just suck :(

Btw, there's an online manual.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

if you're talking about the tainted enemies its ok not to fight them when you first run into them. the slime beat my rear end the first time i tried so i came back a little later (and it was still rough then because he's actually one of the hardest ones)

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The slime is hard because he's got 0 windup to his attacks at melee range, and can go invulnerable to melee attacks. Other tainted enemies may be easier just because their attacks are easier to dodge.

Definitely make use of the tactics menu - get 5 levels into the enemy type bonuses and you can have max possible damage against the tainted enemy you're facing which helps a lot.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

i've just been putting all my points into the "arts of war" pane, the one that has sliders to make ranged attacks charge faster or give you more iframes

though i think you can just refund all of them so i guess i can change later if i have to

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

5 points of type damage and element resist can make a level 29 enemy easier than a level 22.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The thing about the monster affinities pane is that you really ONLY need to get it to level 5 since the only time you really need it is on tainted enemies or other bosses and they tend to be one type at a time. I'll probably do 5 levels in elemental defense as well before focusing on Arts of War till it's maxed.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Speaking of Tainted Monsters does anyone know where #2 is? I expect it's in a cave somewhere I missed since it's not on my list yet.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

How much weapon variety is there, and how much do individual weapons matter?

I just got the game today and I'm not too far yet (just got access to higgledies), I'm mostly wondering if it's worth it to switch to manual weapon switching at any point from the standard semi-auto. Are there times later on where you want to stay with a weapon even if it has less Zing meter built up because it's going to be the best weapon for the job, or do you basically always want to just use whatever has the highest Zing, then swap immediately after spending it?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Harrow posted:

I just got the game today and I'm not too far yet (just got access to higgledies), I'm mostly wondering if it's worth it to switch to manual weapon switching at any point from the standard semi-auto. Are there times later on where you want to stay with a weapon even if it has less Zing meter built up because it's going to be the best weapon for the job, or do you basically always want to just use whatever has the highest Zing, then swap immediately after spending it?

You want to use whichever weapon does the most damage, either actual number or if it happens to have an elemental effect that matches the weakness. I only switch to weaker weapons to use Zing skills.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
I've only played like the first 30 minutes of this game and I've come to the realization that higgledies are the greatest and cutest things ever in a game.

The first time the game teaches you how to use them was hilarious. 'Ok, click on them and --- wtf a cannon'

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

You want to use whichever weapon does the most damage, either actual number or if it happens to have an elemental effect that matches the weakness. I only switch to weaker weapons to use Zing skills.

That makes sense. I'm assuming switching to manual is a good idea, then, so the game doesn't automatically switch away when my strongest weapon's Zing is gone?

Are there multiple weapon types per character or can Roland/Evan only use swords (with other characters using different melee weapons, I assume)?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Harrow posted:

That makes sense. I'm assuming switching to manual is a good idea, then, so the game doesn't automatically switch away when my strongest weapon's Zing is gone?

Are there multiple weapon types per character or can Roland/Evan only use swords (with other characters using different melee weapons, I assume)?

Yeah I use manual on everyone. And they all only have one weapon type.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lorini posted:

Hey is anyone using Tani? I'm not and now am wondering if I should.

My party has been Evan, Tani, and Tani's Dad and they wreck poo poo. I got lucky with drops and Tani has a Rare/Legendary/Epic/Whatever bow that causes Confusion. I just wish there was an AI setting where I could tell her to only use ranged/magic attacks. Plus she's cool.

I'm not sure what item "Rank" actually is. A sidequest needed me to show the dude "rank 5" armor, and all I had to show him was a blue 2-star item?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I will never stop playing as Roland unless the game literally forces me to swap off. I want to shoot fairies

Also speaking of which Roland is surprisingly okay seeing dog people and the like. Oliver was a little kid so I can kinda see him being like "oh okay" but Roland? Kinda expected him to be confused as gently caress at the very least.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Like all of us, Roland has had many dreams of waking up in furry paradise. He’s been ready for this for a while!

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

precision posted:

My party has been Evan, Tani, and Tani's Dad and they wreck poo poo. I got lucky with drops and Tani has a Rare/Legendary/Epic/Whatever bow that causes Confusion. I just wish there was an AI setting where I could tell her to only use ranged/magic attacks. Plus she's cool.

I'm not sure what item "Rank" actually is. A sidequest needed me to show the dude "rank 5" armor, and all I had to show him was a blue 2-star item?

in the items description theres a little shield icon with a number in it. it also get called grade. thats what your looking for.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Lorini posted:

This is the Nu Bi quest. The target is Magmanimus. But ok I’ll hope to stumble into the monster at some point.

I was wrong about the location; Sundown Coast is another quest monster. Magmanimus should be somewhere on Shipshire Cape to the south.

precision posted:

See the little yellow star & red ribbon, down in the bottom-right corner? That's the item's rank. At the outfitter and weaponsmith you can toss in a bunch of catalyst items to craft equipment at a higher rank, or improve an existing piece to raise its rank. Or just luck into a drop that's high enough already.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I will never stop playing as Roland unless the game literally forces me to swap off. I want to shoot fairies

i used to rotate out becuase i though people in the reserve get less xp, but they can keep pace so i just play as roland and maybe evan if i need a specific elemental spell for a region.

love my anime president and his gun-magic

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I love that the text is unreadable when it's those overworld quotes and the weapon grade number is just a blurry hunk of gibberish.

What is with all the Japanese games I've played lately having ultra tiny text

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I love that the text is unreadable when it's those overworld quotes and the weapon grade number is just a blurry hunk of gibberish.

What is with all the Japanese games I've played lately having ultra tiny text

Possibly relevant GDC tweet:

https://twitter.com/SorenJohnson/status/977255234186592258

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
The lipstick y'all :negative:

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

i don't play as roland because it's fun to hear him just emptying his gun into some poor monster every now and then

anyway i just fought a tainted orc guy only 6 levels higher than me in a boat cave and it was a real painful experience, could only do any damage at all with magic. make sure you're upgrading those spells, they're really good. and i got a cool sword for beating him.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Harrow posted:

Manual if you just wanna attack stuff and handle the toggle for upgraded skills yourself or semi-manual if you just want to use skills whenever you want.

Don't dwell too much on zing meter making your attacks hit harder, it's mostly for unlocking the upgraded skills which are way better. Personally I'm just doing semi-manual cause the game is easy enough and the upgraded skills are very flashy/fun without having to remember to toggle weapons regularly.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

i like to save zings to knock down monsters when they're charging up their big attacks, really life saving sometimes

e: i love this boat

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Lol I found a higgledy whose special power is to summon a GIANT higgledy with a shield, sword, and armor to fight the enemies

Game owns

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

is the game good and worth 60 bucks? how long is it i dont see anything on howlongtobeat

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

What does charging skills do, again?

Also, in Skirmishes does Military Might mean anything other than being your pool for Special Tactics? Or do I need to hold on to it for something?

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Ramadu posted:

is the game good and worth 60 bucks? how long is it i dont see anything on howlongtobeat

Yes, it is.

Reviews were saying everywhere from 30 to 50 hours. Depends how many side quests you get involved in!

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Ciaphas posted:

Also, in Skirmishes does Military Might mean anything other than being your pool for Special Tactics? Or do I need to hold on to it for something?

you mean like with 100% zing? they're stronger and bigger and usually have some elemental bonus to them. spells just do more damage

military might is pretty much your hp, you spend it to revive your troops when they get knocked out.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

lets hang out posted:

you mean like with 100% zing? they're stronger and bigger and usually have some elemental bonus to them. spells just do more damage

military might is pretty much your hp, you spend it to revive your troops when they get knocked out.

I meant when you hold the button, it looks like he kind of stands there and charges something but I haven't seen a difference

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

I meant when you hold the button, it looks like he kind of stands there and charges something but I haven't seen a difference

That's for Higgledies

Regy Rusty posted:

So here's how they work: Each hero higgledy has a certain number of followers it can summon. You can see that clearly listed on their stat screen. For powering up skills it's only those followers, not the heros, that matter, but you can combine followers of the same type from multiple heroes.

So for example, take Roland's first skill. It requires 4 non-elemental higgledies. Your starting non elemental higgledy only has 3 followers, so you can't power it up. His second skill however requires 4 wind higgledies, and your first wind hero has 4 followers, so you can power up his second skill. To do so, you need to run over to the higgledies and hold down the skill button so he sucks them up. A little circular bar around the skill will fill up, and when you've sucked up the right number of them the symbol changes so you know you can let go and use the powered up skill.

Here's the important bit though - at least for these first levels of powered up skills, the ones made from absorbing higgledies are exactly the same as using the skill with 100% zing. So for now at least, the higgledies are just providing you a way to use your better skill without needing the zing. The skills have two slots under them though so I suspect eventually you unlock even stronger versions of them that can only be activated by sucking up large numbers of them.

Aside from that, you can mostly just leave them to their own devices. They'll attack using their attack stat on their own, and sometimes heal or buff you based on what skills they have. Keep an eye out for them wanting to use special skills and stock your party with ones you like. There's definitely going to be more to them as the game goes on, but for now they're pretty much just a bonus.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Oh yeah, I forgot they explained that! Thanks.

I should really just stop playing for a bit and read that manual but must find more people for my kingdooooom

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

Apart from reinforcing your squads, you can also spend it to rebuild destroyed buildings.

Ciaphas posted:

You can charge up normal ranged attacks for extra damage, but skills just get the Higgledy boost.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot they explained that! Thanks.

I should really just stop playing for a bit and read that manual but must find more people for my kingdooooom

Yeah, recruiting people is really enjoyable!

Once I’ve completed this game I expect a new Suikoden game to release, or I will be quite cross.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

honestly by this point i consider the kingdom to be the main game and the plot just something to do when i run out of people to recruit

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Is repeating skirmishes the only way to level up troops?

I do wish the level recommendations were all a little more precise.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Still enjoying this at about 16 hrs in but man they didn’t even try with the story did they. I guess there’s still time for it to improve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?
So I went dimension door questing and if you want really good equipment (more than 100 attack above my other equipment), you can do the final tenth, on the island to the east one as long as you keep the Danger Level at 1 or maybe 2.

Didn't want to lose everything, so left just before its final boss. Good thing that I didn't try, too, it's apparently a post-game thing.

Look, I didn't know the dungeon wasn't really meant to be done at L55-57. If a game spells out I've reached a temporary point of no return, you can be drat sure I'll do all the side quests available to me.

Pennfalath fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Mar 25, 2018

• Locked thread