Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
the only problems with eureka is figuring out what shows to watch

I watched and really enjoyed Coco. Super predictable but man Pixar still makes some really pretty movies.
Then I watched Annihilation and a couple RedLetterMedia reviews. By the end I was mostly just watching youtube and I think I was watching a streamer on Twitch playing something that looked a lot more engaging than Eureka is.

Also I spent a lot of time arguing in this thread about Eureka, that was a thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
if everyone plays eureka the optional way nobody gets loot, which I heartily endorse

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Shere posted:

I've seen that, and I've seen a group of 75-80 people all die to Hazmat because they didn't kill the blue add, because most of them just aren't doing anything after they tag the boss.

I mean, its very possible a very non insignificant can't actually do anything cause they're low leveled, cause the only way to get levels without putting a gun in your mouth is to leech off NM trains. Its like those people who drag mobs to cleave the group of sub level 7 players because they "aren't contributing"

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Umm just kill literally 3000 of the same mob per level like Yoship intended.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Leal posted:

I mean, its very possible a very non insignificant can't actually do anything cause they're low leveled, cause the only way to get levels without putting a gun in your mouth is to leech off NM trains. Its like those people who drag mobs to cleave the group of sub level 7 players because they "aren't contributing"

Comedy option, but

I'm gonna hazard a guess and say most of those people aren't in fact too low level to contribute

(also this is a sabotender spawn)

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

HenryEx posted:

Comedy option, but

I'm gonna hazard a guess and say most of those people aren't in fact too low level to contribute

(also this is a sabotender spawn)

I haven't played in a while, but isn't this like the third time they've taken a crack at this sort of content and they've never even come close to making one that doesn't suck. Maybe they should just give up.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
With Sabotender, stuff dies so fast that with 3 level 20s, all the cactaurs will die so fast that you can’t get an attack in anyway.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I like Eureka vastly more than either Diadem.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
They're politely letting people who actually need to kill those to level have them. Good on those guys.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
The next shoe to drop is the fact that the first wave of people who were interested in doing it are now hitting the end point, which is going to leave a ton of people who haven't spent 2-4 hours a day for the past week in the lurch.

So basically, just like Diadem, if you weren't here on the ground floor it's going to become a ghost town.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
I see people all the time who come in mounted(and stay mounted), don't bother killing any mobs to help spawn (even if they are some of the only high levels ones and could greatly speed up killing by participating) who once the NM does spawn poke it once and then go back to afk and remount to afk at next spot.

Happens a lot that people just go into full leech mode, cause someone else probably will do the work for them, its normal behavior in MMOs even if it may be annoying as hell to see occurring time and time again.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Yoshi-p said a lot of the dev members leave the company as soon as their work is done, so they can go home and play Eureka. Yoshi-p himself is refraining from playing Eureka.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Shere posted:

The next shoe to drop is the fact that the first wave of people who were interested in doing it are now hitting the end point, which is going to leave a ton of people who haven't spent 2-4 hours a day for the past week in the lurch.

So basically, just like Diadem, if you weren't here on the ground floor it's going to become a ghost town.

Diadem didn’t have a clearly defined reward structure. (At least Diadem 1). It was just getting the brass/Iron spoils for loot and also random loot from chests. I don’t remember how Diadem 2 worked.

Eureka will have people working on it for a while. Many people will be working for relics for multiple classes. Some people may just want to do it for any possible story as zone two will likely require completion of zone one.

Right now there are many many instances of Eureka up at a time. I find it hard to imagine a time when less than 144 people in the entire datacenter will want to be there.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

HenryEx posted:

Have you ever seen a fate train consisting of 80+ people standing in front of a mob group needed to spawn a NM, and noone attacks anything becuase everyone is afk. For 10+ minutes. Occasionally a brave and severely underleveled soul runs out to pull a mob into the group, gets one shot and takes some of the afk crowd with them.

Every few minutes, some healers come alive and rez the corpses, then go back afk.

I've actually seen this several times today. The saddest thing.
But think of all the community getting built!

Anyway if it was possible to get level synch or sidekick XP or some drat thing to get over the hump, so you can dabble and actually accomplish something, Eureka would at most be "I hope this isn't the new primary direction of the game, I want more dungeons and poo poo." Part of my own giant heap of corrosive chemical salt is that I spent like an hour doing what I was told, including grouping, and got literally 0 XP out of it - not like, a paltry sum, literally zero.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
I didn’t really feel strongly one way or the other about eureka until they indicated they are doing it three more times. Like it’s not content for me, but that’s fine, plenty of people like this sort of thing and not everything in the game needs to be targeted towards me and variety is good and necessary in an mmo and I’m glad people who dig this are getting it and having fun. But three more full loving maps? That’s an insane amount of dev time and resources for this one sliver of the player base. That’s nearly an entire expansion worth of zones dedicated to this. I feel like people who enjoy fishing just got 4 loving zones worth of content. I mean, that’s it, this is the rest of Stormblood, this is the side content for the rest of the expansion. It’s impossible that this doesn’t change the identity of the game and forces people to decide whether it’s for them or not.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Maybe overreacting a tad.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
they're not wrong

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
It's unfair to compare it to fishing, because there are presumably dozens of people that like fishing.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
Maybe, but side content is important to mmos and they just basically dedicated all of theirs to one specific sliver of the player base. Doing it once is fine, but three more times? Yeah I’d say that changes the identity of the game when they are just going to keep targeting the same demographic with the same type of content over and over for a year.

It’s such a half measure too, the hell grinders who actually love this place are already nearly done with it.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
The biggest draw to eureka is that it’s going to be a good way to cap out on all my poo poo really quickly at 20. I can get mendacity quickly and gear up whatever I need to fairly quickly as well

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Minrad posted:

the only problems with eureka is figuring out what shows to watch

I watched and really enjoyed Coco. Super predictable but man Pixar still makes some really pretty movies.
Then I watched Annihilation and a couple RedLetterMedia reviews. By the end I was mostly just watching youtube and I think I was watching a streamer on Twitch playing something that looked a lot more engaging than Eureka is.

Also I spent a lot of time arguing in this thread about Eureka, that was a thing

I’ve got a recommendation! Nothing spectacular, but a fun show.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eureka_(U.S._TV_series)

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Kinda went downhill after a few seasons (after Tony Stark was taken out of the show imo) but the first seasons are good fun.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

Maybe, but side content is important to mmos and they just basically dedicated all of theirs to one specific sliver of the player base. Doing it once is fine, but three more times? Yeah I’d say that changes the identity of the game when they are just going to keep targeting the same demographic with the same type of content over and over for a year.

It’s such a half measure too, the hell grinders who actually love this place are already nearly done with it.
Okay but hold your horses, we're only two patches deep into Stormblood so claiming the game is ruined forever because they're doing Eureka is a little crazy. If in a year when the next expansion is coming out its been nothing but Eureka for the whole patch cycle then okay come back and I'm sure everyone will agree with you. Like, they're probably still going to do a new deep dungeon at some point and blitzball and whatever else it is that you're expecting. Not like this game has the highest bar for side content anyway, over the course of HW we got what POTD, Aquapolis, Verminion, and Diadem, so we're already halfway there for SB.

Looking at Anemos, I really doubt it takes them many more man-hours to make one of these zones than a new intricately designed dungeon, especially now that the upfront technical and mechanical stuff is out of the way, and they're making one dungeon fewer per odd patch so hey.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

I mean, that’s it, this is the rest of Stormblood, this is the side content for the rest of the expansion. It’s impossible that this doesn’t change the identity of the game and forces people to decide whether it’s for them or not.

You're forgetting about the big sky tower, aka POTD 2.0.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

When's the next live letter anyway, 4.3 is soon

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Chucat posted:

Yeah sorry, I knew I forgot something, I didn't add it because it was a given to me.

Basically in a non-memey way, your AoE rotation is pretty much doing as many Fire 3 boosted Flares as possible, because it blows Fire 2 damage out of the water (Fire 2 does 80 damage, Flare does 260 to 78 damage), before 4.0, you lacked Umbral Hearts and were limited by the cooldown of Transpose, so you did the following:

Fire 3 --> Flare --> Transpose --> Fire 3 --> Fire 2 --> Fire 2 --> Flare --> Transpose --> Fire 3 --> etc

4.0 added Umbral Hearts, which allowed you do double Flare every cycle, and it also gave you an AoE thunder, both of which are better than Fire 2 which would make your rotation.

Blizz 3 --> Blizz 4 --> Fire 3 --> Flare --> Flare --> Transpose --> (Foul) --> Blizz 4 --> Fire 3 --> Thunder 4 --> Flare --> Flare --> Transpose etc (basically you're replacing the 2 Fire 2s with the stuff you get at Stormblood, pre-Stormblood you'd still be using Fire 2s)

HOWEVER, in 4.2, the Transpose cooldown was drastically lowered, which, as I mentioned earlier, is the limiting factor in your Flares and why you're casting lovely Fire 2s, which means you can now do, pre-68.

Fire 3 --> Flare --> Transpose --> Fire 3 --> (Sharpcast Thunder 2/4) --> Flare --> Transpose --> etc

Edit: I'm lazy and I don't include stuff like Swiftcast, Triplecast and Convert and so on.

awesome, thanks

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

homeless snail posted:

Okay but hold your horses, we're only two patches deep into Stormblood so claiming the game is ruined forever because they're doing Eureka is a little crazy. If in a year when the next expansion is coming out its been nothing but Eureka for the whole patch cycle then okay come back and I'm sure everyone will agree with you. Like, they're probably still going to do a new deep dungeon at some point and blitzball and whatever else it is that you're expecting. Not like this game has the highest bar for side content anyway, over the course of HW we got what POTD, Aquapolis, Verminion, and Diadem, so we're already halfway there for SB.

Looking at Anemos, I really doubt it takes them many more man-hours to make one of these zones than a new intricately designed dungeon, especially now that the upfront technical and mechanical stuff is out of the way, and they're making one dungeon fewer per odd patch so hey.
They would have had to be complete idiots to not basically do all the Eureka stuff at once, perhaps leaving things partly finished so they could do adjustments and refinements, and are just now planning to release it gradually over time.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The next Eureka map is just gonna be Anemos rotated 90 degrees to the right like the housing district expansions, and with differently titled areas.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

HenryEx posted:

The next Eureka map is just gonna be Anemos rotated 90 degrees to the right like the housing district expansions, and with differently titled areas.

gently caress. I was just about to post this. “Take the same map, rotate, and add snow.”

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Mordiceius posted:

gently caress. I was just about to post this. “Take the same map, rotate, and add snow.”

Nah, desert theme usually comes before snowy tundra theme.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
there's been a pretty notable influx of new blood recently so it's a good time to link an important part of ffxiv lore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHgznsj9Brc

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Oh, while we're at it, the only tune better than Under the Weight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ssnaiquvns

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Oh, while we're at it, the only tune better than Under the Weight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ssnaiquvns

How did you find the unused theme for Titan (Ultimate)?

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I'm taking a break from Eurethra to level White Mage from 50 to 60, and I'm running out of mana a lot. Any tips on how not to do that?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Are you spamming Holy or something? I don't recall having MP problems. Lucid Dreaming, maybe? I think there's a skill in that range that also lowers MP cost.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Solitair posted:

I'm taking a break from Eurethra to level White Mage from 50 to 60, and I'm running out of mana a lot. Any tips on how not to do that?
Some of it is probably the gear chain so just keep running. Lucid Dreaming is important, as is learning how to edge your tanks and DPSes.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Solitair posted:

If you're not using it, the "refresh" buff granted by Lucid Dreaming is in fact a %-based MP restore per tick (the fact that the tooltip for this incredibly critical spell is is completely incoherent to non-FF11 players is one of my pet peeves in this game). A bigger MP pool will increase the value of each tick, which is one of the reasons you really do want some piety at level cap.

Otherwise, remember that Assize restores some mana when you use it, and its cooldown is reduced by spending lily charges on it.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Are you spamming Holy or something? I don't recall having MP problems. Lucid Dreaming, maybe? I think there's a skill in that range that also lowers MP cost.

Thin Air is 62 and basically turns WHM from the hungriest class to the most efficient just by existing. WHM 46-61 really does have brutal mp problems compared to level cap.

Reiterpallasch fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Mar 26, 2018

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Solitair posted:

You really shouldn't be running out of mana so quickly. Some tips:

1) You do have Lucid Dreaming on your bar, right? If not put it on there ASAP.
2) Use Assize on cooldown in dungeons and honestly in pretty much every story trial too.
3) Don't be spamming Medica II or whatever. Use it and let it tick.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
you can absolutely go oom easily in heavensward leveling dungeons if you're playing aggressively and the dps is bad, even if you do everything else right.

e.g if the tank does the big with-knights pull in the vault and the dps aren't aoeing properly, you are going to be running on fumes by the end of the encounter, i guarantee it. i probably bottom out on mp at least once per exdr at level cap, and whm is way more efficient at 70 than at 50-something.

that said, all of that advice is sound so if you're not doing it you should be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
So I figured out my problem: I was relying too much on Cure and Medica. The first time I ran Vault today it was a pain in the rear end, and not just because the rest of my party didn't have mechanics down. The second time I used Regen, Assize, cooldowns (Lucid Dreaming included) and the occasional Holy for its stunning effects.