Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
FM 2018 is 50% off on steam btw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

Wirth1000 posted:

FM 2018 is 50% off on steam btw.

I just bought it and holy poo poo what is up with the laggy menus? Thus far, it's basically unplayable because of the lag (and I have a pretty solid gaming comp). There's got to be a fix or something I'm overlooking.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

joshtothemaxx posted:

I just bought it and holy poo poo what is up with the laggy menus? Thus far, it's basically unplayable because of the lag (and I have a pretty solid gaming comp). There's got to be a fix or something I'm overlooking.

It's your tactics mate

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
I'm still playing FM17, I've won the Premier League 5 years in a row (Champion's League 3 out of those 5 years) as Nottingham Forest, so I decided to manage England as well to liven things up a bit.

As you'd imagine, they're basically poo poo, but I just had the dumbest loving match of all time with them, which reminded me how great FM is as a game no matter the bugs, the dumb things, the problems

my striker scores 4 goals from the 89th minute on to put us up 4-1 in extra time, then they immediately score 3 in a row to equalize. Then my lovely goalkeeper (the #1 for 17th placed Leicester) makes 3 wonder saves in a row to win the shootout

It's moments like these that keep me playing into 2029\

That and Jose Mourinho constantly feuding with me in the press, he had won 7 out of 8 titles before my winning run, and has finished 2nd to me every year since. Needless to say, I talk about how his dinosaur football can't win, how jealous of me he is, and so on every time it's a possible option. Which is way more fun than it should be

Marquis de Pyro fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Mar 29, 2018

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Never loving manage in the Malaysian league. Not because it's a garbage league full of garbage players but.... gently caress. The names. It's the most frustrating loving thing ever to keep track of who is who!!!

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Well, that's easy, there's Muhd, and then there's Mohd. Oh, and Muhd. And Mohd. And let's not forget Muhd.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Ok but Wempy is a simply fantastic name

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Hell I'd sign him just so I could have a guy named Wempy on my team

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Bogan Krkic posted:

Ok but Wempy is a simply fantastic name

Guaranteed to pay you back in the future for the hamburgers you pay him today.

Shroud
May 11, 2009
From SI:

quote:

Another piece of information on this one for you. Your youth staff will also slightly influence the PA of your 'best' or extreme newgens. All of your youth staff act in this way, but the HoYD's impact is twice that of other youth coaches. This will not affect every newgen nor the average newgen but rather only the "star" or "freak" newgens that may occasionally come through the system. It is also important to note that this is only one part of a larger equation when it comes to star/freak newgen PA.

quote:

What are the desirable attributes in those staff to maximize the PA of said players?

quote:

Judging Player Potential and Working With Youngsters.

I would like to stress that 20 & 20 here does not come close to guaranteeing maximising those player's possible PAs though; there are several factors involved along with a healthy slice of luck.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Wirth1000 posted:

Never loving manage in the Malaysian league. Not because it's a garbage league full of garbage players but.... gently caress. The names. It's the most frustrating loving thing ever to keep track of who is who!!!

To be fair this is doubtless exactly what a Malaysian trying to manage newgens in the English leagues thinks about the endless sea of Pete Joneses and Richard Thomases and Lee Williamses

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

been managing west ham for a few seasons and finally got a league title win. asked board to buy the stadium. they said no. i said please. they said okay. a few weeks later our bank balance goes from 40M to -1.2B :stare:

guys i didnt mean you to put it on the club debit card, wtf

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Ah the Arsenal experience

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i sold my best centre half and my best central midfielder for a combined 130M, seems like a drop in the ocean but i have a couple of kids who can replace them in the squad hopefully.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

St Evan Echoes posted:

been managing west ham for a few seasons and finally got a league title win. asked board to buy the stadium. they said no. i said please. they said okay. a few weeks later our bank balance goes from 40M to -1.2B :stare:

How far into the future are you that they left the Olympic Stadium?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Mickolution posted:

How far into the future are you that they left the Olympic Stadium?
it is the olympic stadium, i didn’t really expect them to buy it out tbh but i was curious if we could expand it

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

St Evan Echoes posted:

it is the olympic stadium, i didn’t really expect them to buy it out tbh but i was curious if we could expand it

Ahh, sorry. Read it as "build" not "buy" the stadium. Seems like a terrible decision on behalf of the club, so right in keeping with how they're run in reality...

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Mickolution posted:

Ahh, sorry. Read it as "build" not "buy" the stadium. Seems like a terrible decision on behalf of the club, so right in keeping with how they're run in reality...
turns out sullivan’s dullard son is now in charge of premises management as well as transfer reporting

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

St Evan Echoes posted:

Why the gently caress would you buy a stadium?

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

sassassin posted:

Why the gently caress would you buy a stadium?

Pretty sure you get the full profits made from it rather than just a fraction.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

St Evan Echoes posted:

A few years ago Arsenal got taken over a season or two after building a new stadium named after me. My bank balance had been hovering around a billion for a few years, went up to ~1.5 billion right after the takeover, and then dropped to ~300 million in the summer because the new chairman put the rest in a “strategic reserve fund” or something.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Bobby Digital posted:

A few years ago Arsenal got taken over a season or two after building a new stadium named after me. My bank balance had been hovering around a billion for a few years, went up to ~1.5 billion right after the takeover, and then dropped to ~300 million in the summer because the new chairman put the rest in a “strategic reserve fund” or something.

That's basically to stop it going over the 2.2 billion mark and rolling over to a negative number. The game does remember that you have that money if you ever crash and burn and end up broke.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Ahhhh okay. First time I’d ever had that much money so I didn’t know what the gently caress

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
I should be hitting a similar point soon too. I spent a fortune for a few years to make arsenal a powerhouse while buying all the best regens but now my youth system has fully taken over I'm basically printing money.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I had an end of season team talk that everyone liked and then the wrapup screen showed that half the team, whose morale had already been perfect, is now abysmal.

I initially freaked out but thankfully when I checked my squad status everyone was fine, so I guess it's just a graphical overflow bug.

I still suck though, I buy a guy whose stats are the best on the team and his morale and training are good but he's just nothing but mediocre, while a different guy I almost sold off because his attributes are weak for the newly promoted level is awesome, and I don't really understand soccer so I don't get it :shrug: The guy who inexplicably sucks has a Professional personality too.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Apr 11, 2018

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Eric the Mauve posted:

I had an end of season team talk that everyone liked and then the wrapup screen showed that half the team, whose morale had already been perfect, is now abysmal.

I initially freaked out but thankfully when I checked my squad status everyone was fine, so I guess it's just a graphical overflow bug.

I still suck though, I buy a guy whose stats are the best on the team and his morale and training are good but he's just nothing but mediocre, while a different guy I almost sold off because his attributes are weak for the newly promoted level is awesome, and I don't really understand soccer so I don't get it :shrug: The guy who inexplicably sucks has a Professional personality too.

Sounds like it may be your tactics mate

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Eric the Mauve posted:

FM in a nutshell

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Also what the gently caress is with the facegen in 18? They deliberately made it godawful, far worse than it was 10 years ago, and also went out of their way to break all facegen mods. It's a huge gently caress-you to players that they actually went out of their way to implement and I must be missing something because I can't comprehend why.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Does anyone here play any of the old FMs?

Peak FM for me (and the best) was FM 2014. Everything since I've kind of just fizzled out at the 20 to 50 hr mark or so... meanwhile I've got over 700 hours in FM 2014.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

If I could somehow get my hands on 14 I would. You're not the first person I've heard say that. As a brand new player to the series 18 seems pretty awesome to me though, aside from the weirdly worse-than-Oblivion newgen faces

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Wirth1000 posted:

Does anyone here play any of the old FMs?

Peak FM for me (and the best) was FM 2014. Everything since I've kind of just fizzled out at the 20 to 50 hr mark or so... meanwhile I've got over 700 hours in FM 2014.

I still play FM11

Every now and then I buy a new one on a big sale and try to get into it but the newer interfaces seem super overcomplicated to me, like they added way too many layers in between "make tactics, sign players, play games". I'm sure it would be fine if I had been buying each version and switching every year because the changes would be iterative but doing like seven versions' worth of changes at once feels like a completely different game so I return to my comfort zone and like 20-season FM11 game where I know how everything works and everyone is a regen now.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I wish I had my save from FM2014 where it was like 50 years in and the world was bizarre and interesting.

And as silly as this sounds I also loved when you were doing everything well and you'd just get this email about a job offer with this much money and do you wanna take it or not.

I hate the stupid loving interview poo poo with the board and everything so much.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Whoops. It wasn't FM2014. It's FM2013 with 788 hours played.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Wirth1000 posted:

Whoops. It wasn't FM2014. It's FM2013 with 788 hours played.

the four FMs I own are apparently:

FM11, 1,254 hours played
FM13, 74 hours played
FM15, 12 hours played
FM17, 81 minutes played

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I just installed and fired up FM2013. It .... it feels like home. Everything is so much more simplistic and streamlined without a bunch of bloat in every regard. I think I'm gonna try and play it again for a bit.

vyelkin posted:

the four FMs I own are apparently:

FM11, 1,254 hours played
FM13, 74 hours played
FM15, 12 hours played
FM17, 81 minutes played

I'm at...

FM2010 - 83 hours
FM2012 - 83 hours
FM2013 - 788 hours
FM2014 - 90 hours
FM2017 - 115 hours
FM2018 - 23 hours

Weird that I decided to gently caress off 2010 & 2012 at 83 hours both.... FM2018 is the least played by far and I'm already completely over it.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

FM11 1834 hours
FM12 1255 hours
FM13 868 hours
FM14 40 hours
FM15 1061 hours
FM16 n/a
FM17 151 hours

Earlier non-Steam editions - probably even more than FM11 while I was at uni.

Help me, I'm sick.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
It's ok.... it's ok.... 5209 hours is only 219 days or so. You're good.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i have four figures on at least FM11-15 but i do tend to leave it running for days at a time

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

St Evan Echoes posted:

i have four figures on at least FM11-15 but i do tend to leave it running for days at a time

Yeah a lot of those FM11 hours for me are having it running in the background while doing other stuff, the processing times aren't exactly lightning fast and it's easy to go on the internet or read articles or whatever while it chugs along from day to day, especially once you're ten seasons in and there aren't very many surprises anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I literally can't imagine any other way of playing FM. It's always been a windowed mode in the background affair.