Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Augus posted:

probably far from the first to ask this question but
if I bought Skyrim Special Edition is it possible to convert it to Vanilla Skyrim so that I can use all the mods that only work with Vanilla Skyrim or am I once again hosed because of Bethesda's rear end-backwards way of handling things

Bethesda is dumb as gently caress and huge idiots about lots of things but the differences between x86 and x64 software isn't something you can blame on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I mean they could just, like, give you old Skyrim if you buy new Skyrim or something.
oh well

EDIT:

Agents are GO! posted:

SE has much better performance. What mods did you want to use thatre unavailable? conversion for some mods is really easy.

A lot of stuff like Ultimate Combat and trainwiz's stuff seems to only be made for Vanilla Skyrim. Am I missing something regarding mod compatibility between versions? The op isn't really clear about it and I can't seem to find good info anywhere else

Augus fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Mar 25, 2018

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Augus posted:

probably far from the first to ask this question but
if I bought Skyrim Special Edition is it possible to convert it to Vanilla Skyrim so that I can use all the mods that only work with Vanilla Skyrim or am I once again hosed because of Bethesda's rear end-backwards way of handling things

SE has much better performance. What mods did you want to use thatre unavailable? conversion for some mods is really easy.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Help please. I've been following this guide

Everything was going smoothly. I installed everything, downloaded and activated my mods via NMM, then ran LOOT to organize, then ran Wyre Bash.

Unfortunately Bash ran into an issue: "The action can't be completed because the folder or a file in it is open in another program. Close the folder or file and try again. Docs folder."

In the process of re-installing Bash, I think the problem is that the Skyrim folder in my steam folder is located in the program files. As the following prompts:

The re-install led to the same problem of "Folder is open in another program."

The google results I've found for this are:
1. Reinstall Skyrim Outside of Program Files... Which meh....
2. Windows issues from forum posts made in 2014.

What should I do?

You probably should move your steamapps dir out of Program Files, but that particular issue occurs with Mod Organizer and the newer Windows 10 updates. Check the Mod Organizer discord #builds channel and you should find a dev version that doesn't have the problem with Bash.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Agents are GO! posted:

there are programs out there that will move your install. Just do it.

Cool, does t move everything or just the game? Also, do you have a recommended program link?

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

"And Tomorrow I can get Scared Another Day..."
Hi There! I have an original Skyrim (not SE) modding question, and I hope it hasn't been overly asked and/or isn't going against the op.

I have Some Custom armors (Divine Elegance, Tera Armor for women), and I'd like to get Frostfall. Do the custom armors have coverage and warmth values? If they don't, does Frostfall itself come with anything that would allow me to add values, like Hunterborn's Taxonomy option (which is super loving useful for immersive creature's sixty-five versions of spiders)?

Thanks for any help in advance. I just wanted to know before I downloaded it. :kimchi:

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
Check if Frostfall has any documentation about supporting non-vanilla armours. My guess is that it handles things via keywords, in which you could easily add those.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Ojjeorago posted:

No More Creation Club News.

On an unrelated note, how has no one posted about MILK yet?

Excellent, thank you. Also that other mod :lol: Might have to give that a try sometime.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Gyshall posted:

You probably should move your steamapps dir out of Program Files, but that particular issue occurs with Mod Organizer and the newer Windows 10 updates. Check the Mod Organizer discord #builds channel and you should find a dev version that doesn't have the problem with Bash.

Cool I will check that out. But I was using NMM?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Cool, does t move everything or just the game? Also, do you have a recommended program link?

Sorry, I did it manually, didnt know about the programs myself until later.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Are there any good guides for making a player home mod?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Freakbox posted:

Hi There! I have an original Skyrim (not SE) modding question, and I hope it hasn't been overly asked and/or isn't going against the op.

I have Some Custom armors (Divine Elegance, Tera Armor for women), and I'd like to get Frostfall. Do the custom armors have coverage and warmth values? If they don't, does Frostfall itself come with anything that would allow me to add values, like Hunterborn's Taxonomy option (which is super loving useful for immersive creature's sixty-five versions of spiders)?

Thanks for any help in advance. I just wanted to know before I downloaded it. :kimchi:

I'm pretty sure that you can change how much coverage a specific armor gives you in the ingame Frostfall utility.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Tyty posted:

Nope.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Freakbox posted:

Back when I ran frostfall on skyrim it would apply average coverage and warmth on all equipment that wasn't configured for it. You could then customize each piece in the mcm, and it could take in account if it had a built in cloak or hood.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

as far as I can tell there are guides on how to make your favorite waifu a follower and that's it. this says something, probably.

Anyway for home mods your best bet is to find a home mod of similar scope and features that you want, and open it up in the CK to see what it does and start experimenting. I suggest starting small.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

In all honesty, as somebody who is working on a Skyrim house mod right now (Master Eno's Cloister), the best advice I can give you is start. Just start doing it. Everything will work out.

The second-biggest advice I'll give you is "make hitting CTRL-S every ten seconds" an ingrained reflex.

Finally, make sure to create a Location with the proper Keywords so you get all the benefits of a player home (Well Rested, etc.)

Fake Edit: Also, you should probably make it Hearthfire Multiple Adoptions compliant, because this is the easiest wait to move your ~*~waifu~*~ to a new home.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
It also helps to learn how to use TESEdit. It makes fine-tuning things a lot easier. The Creation Kit has various settings for objects hidden in a ton of different locations; TESEdit lists every setting from every mod for the object you pick in a single table. Don’t expect TESEdit to do any sanity checking for you, though.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Tyty posted:

If you've never done any CK work before: Start with the basic tutorial for creating a interior cel, adding clutter, creating a navmesh, etc.
Be aware though that this will be a lot of work. Especially if you need to learn everything, so start with something small.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Any convenient, working transmogrification (change the look of one armor to another) mods out there?

An alternative, I guess, would be something that lets me craft any piece of armor with whatever stats I choose.

[Old Skyrim]

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Don't remember installing this jank rear end dragon riding mod... oh it's from dragonborn

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Any idea what mod this is from? They sometimes pop up from freshly dead foes, but do nothing. No idea what they're for.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Any idea what mod this is from? They sometimes pop up from freshly dead foes, but do nothing. No idea what they're for.

Wheneever you are in doubt, open console and try to select the object in question. The hex ID will cue you in to which mod the content belongs to.

Example, 01###### will belong to the base vanilla Skyrim content. Assuming load order aligns with DLC release order, then 02###### will be Dawnguard, 03###### will be Hearthfire, and 04###### will be Dragonborn. (I think. Maybe vanilla skyrim content starts at 00######). Values are in Hex, so remember, values such as 12 is not "twelve", but rather corresponds with "eighteen" (0C would be twelve).

Anyway, check those first two digits, and then check your load order.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

If you have Imperious installed, it might be a misfire of the Dunmer racial ability that NPCs can use.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Kiggles posted:

Wheneever you are in doubt, open console and try to select the object in question. The hex ID will cue you in to which mod the content belongs to.

Example, 01###### will belong to the base vanilla Skyrim content. Assuming load order aligns with DLC release order, then 02###### will be Dawnguard, 03###### will be Hearthfire, and 04###### will be Dragonborn. (I think. Maybe vanilla skyrim content starts at 00######). Values are in Hex, so remember, values such as 12 is not "twelve", but rather corresponds with "eighteen" (0C would be twelve).

Should've kept a save file. Happens rarely.

Agents are GO! posted:

If you have Imperious installed, it might be a misfire of the Dunmer racial ability that NPCs can use.

I do. Might be it.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Kiggles posted:

This won't work if that's something created dynamically by the engine, in that case it will show "FF" as the first two. I vaguely remember this being a problem with some mods.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Per this thread's advice, I have uninstalled Skrim SE and Steam and moved them out of program(x86) to C:\Games

I am following this tutorial:
https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/wiki/beginners_guide_sse

However once again when I try and rebuild the Wrye Smash is presenting me with "Action can't be completed because the folder or file in it is open in another program"

WTF is going on with docs? Nothing else is open (not steam, nmm, skyrim, etc.) And I tried running it as an administrator but it still hasn't worked.

e: Maybe I have too many mods in NMM? I went ham and grabbed a bunch. Would that cause an issue?

e2: deleting some of my mods, looks like some are for oldrim

e3: working my way through recommendations here https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/6837/?showtopic=5213770&p=56346346&tab=posts

e4: guess I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling everything, always worth a shot

JIZZ DENOUEMENT fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Mar 29, 2018

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I had that problem when I had the wrong version of Python installed. Grab the Wrye Bash standalone.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Per this thread's advice, I have uninstalled Skrim SE and Steam and moved them out of program(x86) to C:\Games

I am following this tutorial:
https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/wiki/beginners_guide_sse

However once again when I try and rebuild the Wrye Smash is presenting me with "Action can't be completed because the folder or file in it is open in another program"

WTF is going on with docs? Nothing else is open (not steam, nmm, skyrim, etc.) And I tried running it as an administrator but it still hasn't worked.

e: Maybe I have too many mods in NMM? I went ham and grabbed a bunch. Would that cause an issue?

e2: deleting some of my mods, looks like some are for oldrim

e3: working my way through recommendations here https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/6837/?showtopic=5213770&p=56346346&tab=posts

e4: guess I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling everything, always worth a shot

NMM and that reddit beginners guide are both poo poo. Use Mod Organizer 2 and this guide series.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Also you really shouldn't need Wrye Bash for anything these days. Use MO2 and just make a TESEdit merged patch.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Installed SSE and modded the gently caress out of it after years of being away.

What kind of ENB mods/settings should I use to NOT make the game dark to the extent of being almost completely unplayable? Whatever I did hosed the lighting up so badly that the other 3 people on the cart headed towards Helgen looked like featureless shadow boogiemen.

Maybe I should just install old Skyrim

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
Climbing back in the saddle for the VR release (AKA I've had it installed for hours and have yet to play it because mods), so bear with me on this one: Has any companion mod been released that rivals or surpasses Inigo in quality/content? Went through a phase of trying a shitton a few years back and nothing really measured up.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Climbing back in the saddle for the VR release (AKA I've had it installed for hours and have yet to play it because mods), so bear with me on this one: Has any companion mod been released that rivals or surpasses Inigo in quality/content? Went through a phase of trying a shitton a few years back and nothing really measured up.

I assume it is but is Skyrim VR just SSE? With VR junk stuck on top? Is there anything else that's needed to do?

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

KakerMix posted:

I assume it is but is Skyrim VR just SSE? With VR junk stuck on top? Is there anything else that's needed to do?

I believe you do have to stoop to using NMM at this point, so I'm learning the fun quirks that entails. gently caress their mod tags, by the way. Other than that it seems to be a pretty basic directory swap and enabling mods in skyrim.ini like with F04VR, from what I'm reading so far, except with better performance and UI.

Edit: Except, of course, you need to ditch any mods that overhaul the UI and I'm avoiding SKSE out of fear of the MCM. Interested to see if Frostfall will work since that's a pillar in my load orders -- at this point I'm not sure I could play Skyrim without it.

Kraven Moorhed fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Apr 3, 2018

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
wait what’s wrong with SKSE or the MCM

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Look all I wanna know is how to get titties into my face ok

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

KakerMix posted:

Look all I wanna know is how to get titties into my face ok

I got you, fam. Assuming you're open to Todd Howard's.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
drat. New Skyrim update; now the wait for a new version of SKSE...

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Hopefully they can make a version that works with Skyrim VR while they're at it.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Im pretty sure they're not going to make a Skyrim/Fallout4 VR Script Extender, according to the F4SE website, they don't have the equipment or inclination.

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Brhuce Hammar: Legacy. :colbert: Interesting NPCs also has a few followers I'm rather fond of. Also, the B-Team which Im working on converting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

BabyRyoga posted:

Installed SSE and modded the gently caress out of it after years of being away.

What kind of ENB mods/settings should I use to NOT make the game dark to the extent of being almost completely unplayable? Whatever I did hosed the lighting up so badly that the other 3 people on the cart headed towards Helgen looked like featureless shadow boogiemen.

Maybe I should just install old Skyrim

i'm gonna suggest first trying to undo whatever you did that hosed it up instead of trying to install more mods to fix a modding fuckup that will inevitably break something else where you'll want to install another mod ... you see where this is going.

Take a look at your mod list, find anything which touches environment/lighting, and get rid of them one at a time, see what happens. Then you can figure out if there's one mod at fault, or if it was two mods fighting, missing pre-reqs, wrong load order, whatever.

Agents are GO! posted:

Also you really shouldn't need Wrye Bash for anything these days. Use MO2 and just make a TESEdit merged patch.

is there any value whatsoever in doing both? I make and use merged patches, so I'm not trying to argue you're wrong, just curious if there's anything a bashed patch will touch that a merged one won't.

Agents are GO! posted:

I had that problem when I had the wrong version of Python installed. Grab the Wrye Bash standalone.

Yeah, python 2.x vs 3.x is something I run into fairly frequently, and the error messages are never helpful. You just have to know "hey python threw a really stupid error that makes no sense in context, maybe I should check what version to use"

or get the standalone, skip that problem, who cares.

Psion fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Apr 4, 2018