Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

My Lovely Horse posted:

roll for knowledge
I've gone all in on the idea that you never tell anyone anything false on a failed perception or knowledge roll -- you tell them something they don't want to hear.

If they're rolling about something plot critical they find out what they need, but something bad happens. They don't have much time, some previously unknown danger rears its head, or you give them a painful choice. Or suddenly, ninjas attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I wouldn't even bother with PHB1 - Rules Compendium has all the errata baked in and all the rules in one better-laid-out book, and you just use a builder for player options.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

Moriatti posted:

but Solo design is still wonky so boss fights are gonna be a problem.

This is unfortunately really true. A solo needs multiple turns and some way to handle things like dazes and stuns, but that gets kinda unfun to go "Actually your stun did nothing, loser." The only solo I've had a challenge from that didn't feel cheap was a solo with multiple turns that burst into flames when dazed, stunned or dominated.

If you have a solo, make it like a level lower, throw in some minions or something.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Gharbad the Weak posted:

This is unfortunately really true. A solo needs multiple turns and some way to handle things like dazes and stuns, but that gets kinda unfun to go "Actually your stun did nothing, loser." The only solo I've had a challenge from that didn't feel cheap was a solo with multiple turns that burst into flames when dazed, stunned or dominated.

If you have a solo, make it like a level lower, throw in some minions or something.

Yeah, just a page ago though there was this post which is great for building some cool solos:

Kaza42 posted:

http://blogofholding.com/?p=512
This has the revised monster manual math on a business card, and is always a great baseline for adjusting or creating monsters.

I would also recommend anyone making a 4e solo boss fight to read this. It covers some of the common problems with solos, and presents a system for doing staged boss fights that feel more epic and cut down on the issues

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

Moriatti posted:

Yeah, just a page ago though there was this post which is great for building some cool solos:

Oh man, I totally missed that, thanks

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Oh man, I totally missed that, thanks

No problem.
Worth noting, this is a good general suggestion even if it's not against a solo.
If the party has tracked an evil mercenary group to their hideout, having 3 phases as the base gets on higher and higher alert the final phase being against the bamdit leader is a really cinematic and cool "boss fight" even though the leader might be a standard leader class/elite brute with a couple of goons instead of a true solo.
Especially if their plan or ambush leads to stuff like the hideout being on fire or if the bandits holed up in a room witn some ballistae, etc.,

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

ross the boss posted:

I bought a bunch of 4e books on eBay and DTRPG because honestly I'm getting sick of playing 5e and I can probably convince my group to play a 4e Dark Sun Campaign if I sell them on the combat being way less boring.

I've got PH1, the Essentials books (sans Monster Vault, that thing is expensive), and the Dark Sun setting and monster books. Should I get anything else?

Also, I am basically new to DMing anything but BECMI/BX so any advice re creating adventures/encounters? It seems like more prep than I am used/willing to do. Do the Dark Sun published adventures (Marauders of the Dune Sea? what else is there?) really suck? Is there a way to run a sandboxey game in 4e?

Check your PMs.

BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

So in the OP under the math fixes, sections, it's mentioned that inherent bonuses have some "weirdness" with masterwork armor when it comes to the defense bonuses. Could anyone expound on this a bit? Is it just that even with the magic item treadmill being replaced by inherent bonuses, the bonus from masterwork armor is still needed to keep player AC up to speed with monster attack bonuses?

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

BattleCake posted:

the bonus from masterwork armor is still needed to keep player AC up to speed with monster attack bonuses?

Yeah basically. You still need to upgrade the base armor, even if the enhancements scale automatically.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Dick Burglar posted:

Check your PMs.

I'm doing similar stuff, can you PM me whatever you PM'd this guy?

Free Triangle
Jan 2, 2008

"This is no ordinary poster boy!
No ordinary poster!"
We're approaching paragon tier and I need some build advice. If I already have Improved Defenses on a fighter should I consider picking up Superior Will? I'd only be gaining +1 will, but I'd also get a free save on stun/daze effects.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The free save makes it one of the more powerful standalone feats in the game, yes. Even better, it's a free save even against effects that don't normally allow a save.

Keep in mind that you can retrain heroic tier feats into paragon tier feats (so long as you don't break a prerequisite chain), so you can get two paragon feats at level 11.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
As a fighter I took both, but wound up by the middle of Paragon with all three Superior defenses so I retrained out of Improved somewhere around 14 or 16. The riders all come in handy at various points and I'm tanky as gently caress as a result. If you're not totally feat-starved it's something to shoot for.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Kay, so. I wrapped up my 1-20 game, and my Bard player wants to run a 21-30 continuation. So now Im trying to make a bard with no idea what Im doing. Goal is offtanking and loving with the DM's carefully planned encounters.

quote:

Level 20 valor bard / warchanter (MC paladin / warlord)
Str 9
Dex 14
Con 18
Int 13
Wis 11
Cha 25

Racial
+2 stealth, bluff
Trained in Arcana, Acrobatics, Perception, Bluff, Intimidate, Insight, Acrobatics
+1 in untrained skills, +3 from feat
Resist fire 15 (5+½ level)
+1 to hit vs bloodied

Infernal wrath racial
Devil’s pawn theme

Bardic training (ritual caster)
Bard of valor
Majestic word
Song of rest
Words of friendship

Feats
Obviously I have more than 12 feats.

Soldier of the faith
Wrath of the crimson legion
Resourceful leader
Bard of all trades (+3 to unskilled)
Bardic wayfarer
Walker of the dark path
Improved majestic word
Improved valor
White lotus riposte
White lotus master riposte
Superior will
Improved init
Imperious majesty
(inherent bonuses free from Dark Sun rules)
(expertise bonuses free for primary weapon)

Powers
too many powers, wanting to add some warlord/paladin powers to offtank, will need to drop others

2 at will
4 encounter
4 daily
5 utility

Guiding strike (at will) (level 1)
Warsong strike (at will) (level 1)

Shout of triumph (encounter) (level 1)
Echoing weapon (encounter) (level 3)
Prescient warning (encounter) (level 7)
Victorious smite (encounter) (level 11) (paragon)
Foolhardy fighting (encounter) (level 13)
Song of summons (encounter) (level 17)

Stirring shout (daily) (level 1)
Timeless trek in mithrendain (daily) (level 5)
Wail of anguish (daily) (level 9)
Strike up the dance (Daily) (level 15)
Satire of prowess) (daily) (level 19)
Visions of victory (daily) (level 20) (paragon)

Moment of escape (utility) (level 2)
Revitalizing incantations (utility) (level 6)
Mantle of unity (utility) (level 10)
Battle chant (utility) (level 12) (paragon)
Song of sublime snowfall (utility) (level 16)

For items, he's giving me 375kgp. I was looking at

quote:

Rituals:
Travellers chant
Lullaby
Song of sustenance
Song of restfulness

Items
Battle harness scale mail
Blade of the eldritch knight
Timeless locket
Iron armbands of power
Eladrin boots
Gloves of dimensional repulsion
Helm of battle
Eladrin ring of passage
Ring of the dragonborn emperor
Belt of sacrifice
Backlash tattoo

Where do I go from here? :confused:

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Free Triangle posted:

We're approaching paragon tier and I need some build advice. If I already have Improved Defenses on a fighter should I consider picking up Superior Will? I'd only be gaining +1 will, but I'd also get a free save on stun/daze effects.

It's definitely a good option if you don't have a feat heavy build (Polearm Fighters I'm looking at you). If you do so retrain Improved Defenses into Superior Fortitude as Resist 3/Tier vs ongoing is well worth moving some Ref into Fort for. (If you do this you'll eventually want to see if you can get Superior Reflexes by Epic). The only question is how close to Paragon are you and whether there are any Paragon feats you are eyeing; it's very common to retrain your final feat or two at Heroic for a Paragon feat or two when you hit 11 and possibly 12.

Free Triangle
Jan 2, 2008

No ordinary poster!"
Unfortunately it is a polearm fighter, so my first two paragon feats are polearm gambit and impaling spear.

I'm leaning towards superior fort/will and maybe skipping reflex? What generally happens if you fail a reflex check at higher levels?

Edit: we're about to hit level 9.

Free Triangle fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Mar 26, 2018

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Retraining feats up a tier is entirely possible, yes, but I tend not to do it because...I dunno, maybe it's just me, it just doesn't feel good. It means even MORE in advance planning for poo poo, which I hate, and honestly, 4e games are rarely so cutting edge that you have to do it. That said, retraining Improved Defenses to Superior Will is more of a sidegrade then upgrade, so don't feel TOO bad about it and worry that it's OP or whatever. And as others have said, there really isn't anything wrong with having both - the scaling bonus to the defense is easily the lesser part of Superior Will compared to the save it grants.

As for both epic bards (and kinda for fighters too), most my advice is going to be all but literally copy-pasted from their respective handbooks...so give those a look if you haven't! Fighters and bards. But, I practically have to give my general handbook warnings: remember, just picking the teal options vaguely isn't going to give you a super strong character - actually look at what your doing and see if things work together, both with your character and with the team. 4e is and has always been all about synergy between options and players. Likewise, on the opposite end, don't get despondent over choices that aren't the best; 4e has a decently low power ceiling (outside of certain absurdities) and a decently high power floor - outside of dumping your attack stat, it's hard to kneecap your own character, so don't stress about needing to be the strongest/best.

Free Triangle
Jan 2, 2008

No ordinary poster!"
Thanks for the advice, while I'm approaching polearm gamble would it be worth retraining swift spear to forced opportunist so I can push away non-reach melee opponents? Or would you grab both?

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

Loel posted:

Kay, so. I wrapped up my 1-20 game, and my Bard player wants to run a 21-30 continuation. So now Im trying to make a bard with no idea what Im doing. Goal is offtanking and loving with the DM's carefully planned encounters.

For items, he's giving me 375kgp. I was looking at

Where do I go from here? :confused:

Eternal Seeker Epic Destinycan let you randomly poach powers from different classes if you don't want to spend feats, while Avangion has a couple of neat features for supporting your party. If you want to off-tank then Demand Respect at level 23 and Discipline the Unruly at level 25 let you punish the hell out of people even if they're already marked by someone else, which lets you inflict some severe damage.

What's the rest of your party look like? If your party's MBAs are good then swapping one of your at-wills for Staggering Note is fun.

Free Triangle posted:

Thanks for the advice, while I'm approaching polearm gamble would it be worth retraining swift spear to forced opportunist so I can push away non-reach melee opponents? Or would you grab both?

Spiked Chain is a somewhat less feat-intensive gimmick if you want a reach weapon with forced movement. The main thing you lose is polearm gambit, but you can get a lot of work with flail expertise (flail attacks that slide knock prone), lashing flail (flail MBAs slide) and dragging flail (slide people you knock prone with a flail).

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Free Triangle posted:

I can't find Forced Opportunist. If you mean Agile Opportunist think how often you get pushed (not often) and you already have uses for your interrupt. The fighter is possibly the least useful class for Agile Opportunist.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

LightWarden posted:

Eternal Seeker Epic Destinycan let you randomly poach powers from different classes if you don't want to spend feats, while Avangion has a couple of neat features for supporting your party. If you want to off-tank then Demand Respect at level 23 and Discipline the Unruly at level 25 let you punish the hell out of people even if they're already marked by someone else, which lets you inflict some severe damage.

Ah, neat :D What are some good warlord/paly powers to grab before 20?

quote:

What's the rest of your party look like? If your party's MBAs are good then swapping one of your at-wills for Staggering Note is fun.

Checking into that now :D

Free Triangle
Jan 2, 2008

No ordinary poster!"

neonchameleon posted:

I can't find Forced Opportunist. If you mean Agile Opportunist think how often you get pushed (not often) and you already have uses for your interrupt. The fighter is possibly the least useful class for Agile Opportunist.

Woops I mean forceful opportunist, it allows you to push on attacks of opportunity, while swift spear allows you to pull on oppies.

Basically swift spear would make the fighter more sticky, but forceful opportunist would up his survivability (especially combined with polearm gambit)

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Free Triangle posted:

Woops I mean forceful opportunist, it allows you to push on attacks of opportunity, while swift spear allows you to pull on oppies.

Basically swift spear would make the fighter more sticky, but forceful opportunist would up his survivability (especially combined with polearm gambit)

Assuming you're going for a fairly standard polearm package then the Forceful Opportunist/Spear Push/Polearm Momentum/Polearm Gamble combination is more than slightly horrifying to enemies - step next to the fighter and end up looking at the sky, two squares away, and marked; Swift Spear doesn't get Spear Push so it doesn't get Polearm Momentum. And four feats (plus Expertise and probably Weapon Focus - and possibly greatspear or gouge proficiency) is a huge investment giving you not many feats to use on other stuff.

neonchameleon fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Mar 28, 2018

Free Triangle
Jan 2, 2008

No ordinary poster!"
Ah, I just realized polearm momentum says push OR slide, so its incompatible with swift spear. Thanks for the advice goons!

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

quote:

Looks like we have Rogues, Cleric, Psion, Warlock, depending on who is showing up.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,

Loel posted:

Ah, neat :D What are some good warlord/paly powers to grab before 20?

Warlord level 13: Death from Two Sides means you make an MBA and your ally makes an MBA, and if you both hit, it's a crit for your ally, which is great.

If you have the Combat Virtuouso feat then you can use Strength-based powers with your Charisma mod for the attack roll (not the damage modifier, but who cares with warlord powers?). In that case, Hail of Steel (Warlord level 17) becomes an excellent choice because if you land a hit then every single one of your allies gets to unload a basic attack on your target. It's one of the best enabling powers in the game other than Valorous Charge (Cleric level 27), which is excellent if you pick it up through something like Eternal Seeker. Technically it's possible to have both Hail of Steel and Valorous Charge on a War Chanter bard, and then pick up both the Martial Mastery and Divine Mastery feats so you can have four straight turns of "everyone go ham with +Con to hit and damage". Incredibly excessive though.

If you're still looking for tanking powers, Valorous Strike (Paladin 1)/Castigating Strike (Paladin 13) are mass-sanction abilities that challenge your enemies to attack you, but without a paladin's full kit of feats like Weakening Challenge they can be a little weak, especially if you don't have the defenses to take the hits.

Since you're a tiefling you qualify for Secrets of Belial, which lets you straight up swap one of your utility powers for a utility from any class and there's a lot of good options out there.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Loel posted:

Looks like we have Rogues, Cleric, Psion, Warlock, depending on who is showing up.

Might I suggest reflavouring a paladin as a bard aand being a tankbard?

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Paladin MC bard is also a good build. Bard MC opens Paladin up to the Avangion ED, which is a nice one for paladins.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

"Huh, maybe I should have checked the XP guidelines."

Yeah maybe you should have, guest DM. Maybe you should have. It might have prevented you from setting us up against four double strength encounters in one session.

I swear, this is the kind of stuff that puts people off the system for good.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

My Lovely Horse posted:

"Huh, maybe I should have checked the XP guidelines."

Yeah maybe you should have, guest DM. Maybe you should have. It might have prevented you from setting us up against four double strength encounters in one session.

I swear, this is the kind of stuff that puts people off the system for good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAYMs_NsYsY

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

LightWarden posted:

If you have the Combat Virtuouso feat then you can use Strength-based powers with your Charisma mod for the attack roll (not the damage modifier, but who cares with warlord powers?). In that case, Hail of Steel (Warlord level 17) becomes an excellent choice because if you land a hit then every single one of your allies gets to unload a basic attack on your target. It's one of the best enabling powers in the game other than Valorous Charge (Cleric level 27), which is excellent if you pick it up through something like Eternal Seeker. Technically it's possible to have both Hail of Steel and Valorous Charge on a War Chanter bard, and then pick up both the Martial Mastery and Divine Mastery feats so you can have four straight turns of "everyone go ham with +Con to hit and damage". Incredibly excessive though.

Are you getting both of those from eternal seeker or multiclass swap feats?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Funny thing is he somehow managed to hit a sweet spot, or a bitter spot I guess, where they were all completely nonthreatening, just took twice the time to play through. I try not to metagame, knowing the system as well as I do, but when you're in a level 10 party, and your DM opens the second phase of an encounter with "the beholder shows up, and the mages among you realize he's prepared with protective spells, he gets +2 to all defenses and regeneration 10" you kinda hope for the TPK because the alternative is a very, very long fight.

At one point during encounter #3 he said "okay, these guys are practically defeated, there's one's escaping, if no one wants to stop him we can call it a fight right here" and his girlfriend replied "I want to try and stop him, he might raise an alarm." That didn't help. Yes, you and I wouldn't have calling a too long fight depend on a player's decision, or if we made that mistake we'd say "yeah okay you manage to stop him" but this guy would not.

We should have just all taken the overpowered familiars.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Double post for a separate question, I'm thinking of running one-shots for this group, but they absolutely need to be one session games, and I've noticed I have trouble planning a session when I have only four encounters to play with. And for obvious reasons I now want to avoid overly long and boring fights. Is "enemies get half HP and deal double damage" still a viable method to make fights more snappy, and does it combine well with using more, but weaker encounters? Say I have 6 PCs, and instead of playing 2 encounters with 6* enemies each before a milestone, they get 3 with 4* enemies each, but the enemies are double strength/half HP?

*to be replaced by minions as required, of course

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

My Lovely Horse posted:

Funny thing is he somehow managed to hit a sweet spot, or a bitter spot I guess, where they were all completely nonthreatening, just took twice the time to play through. I try not to metagame, knowing the system as well as I do, but when you're in a level 10 party, and your DM opens the second phase of an encounter with "the beholder shows up, and the mages among you realize he's prepared with protective spells, he gets +2 to all defenses and regeneration 10" you kinda hope for the TPK because the alternative is a very, very long fight.

At one point during encounter #3 he said "okay, these guys are practically defeated, there's one's escaping, if no one wants to stop him we can call it a fight right here" and his girlfriend replied "I want to try and stop him, he might raise an alarm." That didn't help. Yes, you and I wouldn't have calling a too long fight depend on a player's decision, or if we made that mistake we'd say "yeah okay you manage to stop him" but this guy would not.

We should have just all taken the overpowered familiars.

Oh this is the OP familiar group? gently caress.

It sounds like your DM has no idea wtf he's doing, in a very "I think this works like 3E" way, and should stop and learn the basic game before he goes all-out house ruling the gently caress out of everything. Barely anything in 4E has regen, for example, including players.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
Also monster stat blocks assume they're as prepared as they generally will be. Boosting its stats by 2 is effectively giving it an extra 2 levels.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,

Yukari posted:

Are you getting both of those from eternal seeker or multiclass swap feats?

Hail of Steel requires a multiclass swap since you need Combat Virtuoso to land the attack, but you can get Valorous Charge on an Eternal Seeker swap no problem since it's just "everyone in AoE charges or makes a basic attack, gains +Con to defenses".

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

dont even fink about it posted:

Oh this is the OP familiar group? gently caress.

It sounds like your DM has no idea wtf he's doing, in a very "I think this works like 3E" way, and should stop and learn the basic game before he goes all-out house ruling the gently caress out of everything. Barely anything in 4E has regen, for example, including players.

I feel like people bounced off of 4th edition precisely because of DMs like this guy.

I had a DM who had us fight against a +8 level standard monster as a solo because the xp tables said it was OK.

No, only being able to hit on a 18 isn't OK.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

KPC_Mammon posted:

I feel like people bounced off of 4th edition precisely because of DMs like this guy.

I had a DM who had us fight against a +8 level standard monster as a solo because the xp tables said it was OK.

No, only being able to hit on a 18 isn't OK.

It's extra funny because the DMG explicitly says "never adjust a monster's level by 5 or more."

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Lemon-Lime posted:

It's extra funny because the DMG explicitly says "never adjust a monster's level by 5 or more."

This was the same DM who had us fight against a level 6 Assassin when we were level 4 in 3rd edition. The prestige class. Without having to take any other levels in anything else.

No, we couldn't save against DC 20 to avoid death.

Some DMs shouldn't DM.

edit: It is a lot more noticeable in 4th since everything is tightly balanced if you play correctly.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Apr 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Man at least that guy looked at the XP tables.