Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

Fantastic Four 57

With the way Doom is rolling his eyes there, I can't help but read it in the most sarcastic voice possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Glorified Scrivener posted:

Also, early Banshee looks a bit... rough.

In the 1969 feature-film The X-Men, Banshee was played by George Best.

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007

Glorified Scrivener posted:

Also, early Banshee looks a bit... rough.

They literally based Banshee's design after the old anti-Irish "Irish Ape" caricatures of the 19th century. The US has always been awful towards immigrants.

Mutant Headcrab fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Mar 25, 2018

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
ah yes the virulent anti-Irish sentiment of the 1960's strikes again

now do one about the racist psychology and anti-German sentiment behind why Nightcrawler is a blue elf

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
cursed image

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Mutant Headcrab posted:

They literally based Banshee's design after the old anti-Irish "Irish Ape" caricatures of the 19th century. The US has always been awful towards immigrants.

Yeah, but it's good to be racist against the Irish.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

site posted:

cursed image

Could he... could he turn into a gun?

I mean, if he could turn into a dinosaur...

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

site posted:

cursed image

Why

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
What the gently caress is the tail?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mulva posted:

You already know the answer.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

SomeJazzyRat posted:

He could turn into a gun but not shoot bullets, sure

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

SomeJazzyRat posted:

He can't form complex machines. Guns and explosives have chemicals, moving parts. He doesn't work that way. But he can form solid shapes.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Endless Mike posted:

He could turn into a gun but not shoot bullets, sure

Well, he could shoot bullets but then the comics could only be sold to adults.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Well he can make a gun out of wood...

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

David D. Davidson posted:

Well he can make a gun out of wood...

That can't shoot bullets.

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012

Mulva posted:

Obviously he's just stretching his tailbone.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Mulva posted:

His prolapsed rectum.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Skwirl posted:

That can't shoot bullets.

Guaranteed to emotionally and spiritually destroy even the most powerful supervillain, though.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Of course he could shoot bullets, they would just be made of his skin and not very damaging because skin isn't gunpowder.

The real question is, why would he turn into a gun when he could turn into a trebuchet?

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Okay. But if I'm hearing this right if he, say, turned into an AR-15 and loaded him with manufactured bullets of the correct calibur, it wouldn't fire?

But if you took a gun-shaped Richards and put those bullets in his mouth and he spit them out, would it be considered 'firing' those bullets?

Just asking for an all powerful and benevolent friend.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Okay. But if I'm hearing this right if he, say, turned into an AR-15 and loaded him with manufactured bullets of the correct calibur, it wouldn't fire?

But if you took a gun-shaped Richards and put those bullets in his mouth and he spit them out, would it be considered 'firing' those bullets?

Just asking for an all powerful and benevolent friend.
Would you consider it "firing bullets" if you put them in your own mouth and then spit them out? He doesn't have any super breath abilities.

He's not Plastic Man in terms of his ability to control his body, He might be able to function as a slightly worse version of those guns made with a 3d printer.

Kevin Palpatine
Dec 20, 2017
so wait if plastic man and reed richards got in a fight, then reed would get clowned? I guess this depends on whether or not he's allowed to use science-y inventions

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Kevin Palpatine posted:

so wait if plastic man and reed richards got in a fight, then reed would get clowned? I guess this depends on whether or not he's allowed to use science-y inventions

Plastic Man would absolutely wreck Mr. Fantastic in a straight up fight.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Skwirl posted:

Would you consider it "firing bullets" if you put them in your own mouth and then spit them out? He doesn't have any super breath abilities.

He's not Plastic Man in terms of his ability to control his body, He might be able to function as a slightly worse version of those guns made with a 3d printer.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Reed is generally not very imaginative with how he shapeshifts.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

goatface posted:

Reed is generally not very imaginative with how he shapeshifts.

He saves his imagination for his next "This would be a warcrime if anyone thought about it too hard Gun" or "portal to a really dangerous place into which I've placed no appreciable security measures."

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Kevin Palpatine posted:

Reed is a scientist, then a father, then a person with super human abilities. Plastic Man defines himself by doing the weirdest poo poo imaginable with his powers. Mister Fantastic would admire his spontaneity, as he explains the device he made that turns Plas into a immobile lump.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Of the three 'well known' stretchy heroes, if you just go by their power set, Plastic Man would wreck everyone's poo poo, and Elongated Man would be able to poo poo on Reed Richards. (Elongated Man's power set, it is worth remembering, was created when he was a Flash supporting character and he's defined as being able to stretch so fast he can *keep up with the flash* and his punches are rocket-fast. He's one of those guys who rarely gets used to the specifications that his powers say he should have,)

Of course Reed Richards has the second power of SCIENCE which would probably let him turn Plastic Man into a rubber duck or something if the writer cared enough.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Reed's primary power is being an rear end in a top hat. His secondary power is superscience. Then comes the stretching stuff.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Reed Richards has an interesting power but Plastic Man is a straight-up cartoon character. They're not even in the same League. The DC version of Reed in terms of powers is Elongated Man.

Edit: Waited too long to post. That's what I get for watching Drag Race.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Of the three 'well known' stretchy heroes, if you just go by their power set, Plastic Man would wreck everyone's poo poo, and Elongated Man would be able to poo poo on Reed Richards. (Elongated Man's power set, it is worth remembering, was created when he was a Flash supporting character and he's defined as being able to stretch so fast he can *keep up with the flash* and his punches are rocket-fast. He's one of those guys who rarely gets used to the specifications that his powers say he should have,)

I can't think of a time that Elongated Man was really depicted as stretching as fast as the Flash, just the silver age writing of ill defined powers and letting people get one over on the Flash even though Barry should have been able to wreck everyone at anytime with no effort. I mean, here's the cover of Ralph's first appearance:

It doesn't make a lick of sense however you want to slice it unless you just shrug and go, "Eh, comics."

Really, Ralph's abilities and Reeds are pretty much identical in how they've been depicted over the year.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Yeah but can any of them live up to Flatman?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Luffy, due to generic shonen power-ups.
Not posting manga because hatred.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
please like my Mr Fantastic pitch where he winds up his bladder like a toothpaste tube and pees with the requisite force to cut steel to penetrate Doom's armor

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I never got very far into One Piece but Luffy's weakness is worse than Green Lantern's aversion to yellow. You can't swim? Time to become a pirate!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
There's very few characters in any comic universe that Plastic Man couldn't clown with genuine effort put in. He's basically immortal, and his powers are apparently instantaneous, with the only limits being he can't do any colors not already seen on him.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Samuringa posted:

I never got very far into One Piece but Luffy's weakness is worse than Green Lantern's aversion to yellow. You can't swim? Time to become a pirate!

aint his fault he lives on a 95% water world.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Choco1980 posted:

There's very few characters in any comic universe that Plastic Man couldn't clown with genuine effort put in. He's basically immortal, and his powers are apparently instantaneous, with the only limits being he can't do any colors not already seen on him.
Which, helpfully, include yellow!

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Say Nothing posted:

Luffy, due to generic shonen power-ups.
Not posting manga because hatred.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Wait. Which Reed Richards?

Because I think Ultimate Reed/The Maker might give Plastic Man a run for his money given how much more... comfortable that version of Reed is with his power set.