Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Really Pants posted:

Is repeating skirmishes the only way to level up troops?

I do wish the level recommendations were all a little more precise.

fwiw i've done ones that were well above my level and gotten through them, they're not that bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm kinda curious, don't care to know *who* they are but how many party members do you end up getting in this game. I just met the 5th or at least I assume I did, he's only temporarily teaming up and I can't get over how much I don't care for Hammer man and his daughter that I constantly forget exists.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm kinda curious, don't care to know *who* they are but how many party members do you end up getting in this game. I just met the 5th or at least I assume I did, he's only temporarily teaming up and I can't get over how much I don't care for Hammer man and his daughter that I constantly forget exists.

I've been assuming six by the amount of space in the save icon

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I can't get over how much I don't care for Hammer man and his daughter that I constantly forget exists.

Tani is cool :mad:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

There's six also Batu and Tani rule

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Just going off the pattern their weapons have, I'm assuming 6th character uses hammers/axes and guns, which sounds like a fun combination. I really like the 5th characters moveset, it's so flashy.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The boss fight against the dragon made me feel like I was playing Monster Hunter again

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

precision posted:

The boss fight against the dragon made me feel like I was playing Monster Hunter again

camera and all :v:

just beat that up, along with my first tainted, a 22 magma slime at level 20. Magmanamous or something like that. Those things are no joke :stare:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Regy Rusty posted:

There's six also Batu and Tani rule

Batu is a child murderer and hasn't done a single redeeming thing yet and Tani feels like she hasn't had a line since I got her. She just kinda insta faded into the background.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I like Tani, but she really doesn’t get enough opportunities to show personality.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

just lol if you think the air pirates were serious about killing people

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Batu is a child murderer

We've all been there, you know how it is

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo

Wendell posted:

I like Tani, but she really doesn’t get enough opportunities to show personality.

I was really hoping she'd be more of a hardass, after her "WOT ARE YOU DOING" intro.
Still, her, Evan and Roland have been my party from minute one because they're my favourite characters.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The end of the Hydropolis chapter makes no sense at all lmao

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Alright.
Does the city building in this game feature you running all around to find NPCs to recruit to your city/castle/whatever?
Is there anything to fill the void of collecting monsters?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Regy Rusty posted:

The end of the Hydropolis chapter makes no sense at all lmao

OK so it made no sense to me either at the time but I think I sorta get it now? Kinda?

So, city was stuck in a... Time reset... Thing? But it only worked so long as there was the exact same number of people in the city so no one was allowed to die or be born. But apparently it wasn't a full time reset because people mention the rules changing and like, multiple days happening, so it's a weird not really a time loop? So did no one die of old age or something? But then the queen gave it up so as soon as anyone dies in the city the city will get... De-time-looped? Ok nevermind I don't get it at all. It's utterly incomprehensible. Also why did she go with snake-head-man? So many things about that chapter make no loving sense.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Infinity Gaia posted:

OK so it made no sense to me either at the time but I think I sorta get it now? Kinda?

So, city was stuck in a... Time reset... Thing? But it only worked so long as there was the exact same number of people in the city so no one was allowed to die or be born. But apparently it wasn't a full time reset because people mention the rules changing and like, multiple days happening, so it's a weird not really a time loop? So did no one die of old age or something? But then the queen gave it up so as soon as anyone dies in the city the city will get... De-time-looped? Ok nevermind I don't get it at all. It's utterly incomprehensible. Also why did she go with snake-head-man? So many things about that chapter make no loving sense.

It's complete nonsense because what they presented would also require being totally cut off from the outside world and not only do you get in no problem, no one in or out of the country things anything is strange about it. Leander would also not be able to have any of the knowledge he does because no one but the queen should have memories outside of the loop or else they'd all realize they'd been alive for 300 years, yet as you said they notice the rule changes.

It's very very silly and as far as I can tell is completely pointless so I don't know why it's part of the story at all???

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ChrisBTY posted:

Does the city building in this game feature you running all around to find NPCs to recruit to your city/castle/whatever?

Yes, in huge amounts.

quote:

Is there anything to fill the void of collecting monsters?

You get weird little elemental helper sprites called Higgledies. There are a bazillion of them, some you have to make in your kingdom, some you have to find out in the world and recruit by offering the right item.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Wheeeee!
Looks like I know what I'm buying to fill the void until PoE 2 comes out in May.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

It's complete nonsense because what they presented would also require being totally cut off from the outside world and not only do you get in no problem, no one in or out of the country things anything is strange about it. Leander would also not be able to have any of the knowledge he does because no one but the queen should have memories outside of the loop or else they'd all realize they'd been alive for 300 years, yet as you said they notice the rule changes.

It's very very silly and as far as I can tell is completely pointless so I don't know why it's part of the story at all???

Immediately after this a new Leafbook post popped up that said "For years, I have longed to climb up to the highest point I could find and gaze at the world around me, but the law forbade it." They don't seem to have put any thought into this plot point at all.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Also is this game really not connected to the first at all? Spoilers but it's for literally the first hour. I mean it could just be cheeky having you recreate the first games story as a trial or whatever but if things get any more indepth then that I'm going to be at a loss because I remember basically nothing about the first game outside a handful of locations and that some of the not-pokemon being cute.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Also is this game really not connected to the first at all? Spoilers but it's for literally the first hour. I mean it could just be cheeky having you recreate the first games story as a trial or whatever but if things get any more indepth then that I'm going to be at a loss because I remember basically nothing about the first game outside a handful of locations and that some of the not-pokemon being cute.

By all indications the first game is only connected in that it's set in the same world so far in the past that its events have turned to legend.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Chapter 5's ending is kind of jumbled up. All I can think is that there just wasn't room in the schedule for them to go back and give it another editing pass.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Mar 26, 2018

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Oh thank God more people are making it to the end of chapter 5/hydropolis and being just as loving confused as me

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Any suggestions on Cetus tweaks? Using Roland, Evan, and Batu.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Yeah the story is getting worse as it goes along (into Chapt. 5 now). The pacing is just a problem, which seems weird given the supposed length of the game. I might just be reacting to the last few hours being, effectively, a long tutorial for the kingdom builder where it felt like the game was really spinning its wheels.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

VanillaGorilla posted:

Yeah the story is getting worse as it goes along (into Chapt. 5 now). The pacing is just a problem, which seems weird given the supposed length of the game. I might just be reacting to the last few hours being, effectively, a long tutorial for the kingdom builder where it felt like the game was really spinning its wheels.

I'm getting a very strong feeling the plot is gonna be by far the worst part of this game.

Thank god the kingdom building is scratching an itch big time so I don't care.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Regy Rusty posted:

I'm getting a very strong feeling the plot is gonna be by far the worst part of this game.

Thank god the kingdom building is scratching an itch big time so I don't care.

I mean, it’s not....bad.

It feels like the DC comics movies in that there are good pieces, but it just doesn’t really feel like they’re fitting together right?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Nah, I'd say it's pretty bad. Almost all the characters work on total nonsense logic and it feels completely directionless. Like none of the motives for anyone make a lick of sense outside Evan and it's kind of stupid.

Game is fun and I love town building so I still like it but this is the first game in a long time where I've just checked out almost completely. I'm in chapter 5 and I'm apparently going to be hit by the nonsense zone if this thread is anything to go by.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I mean I can kind of see where Roland is coming from (Dude gets saved from nuclear radiation through the magic of being isekai'd so he decides to make the best of it) but everyone else is a little bizarre.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Like, if there was some downtime and some insight I might be able to buy it a bit better but he survives a nuclear warhead and is thrust into a harrypotter magic world where he has to babysit a catboy and gun down some mice (one of which turns into a centaur???) and his first thought once it's all clear is "yeah they can handle that mess themselves nobody will miss the president of the united states, my family doesn't matter gently caress it I'm throwing my lot in with you 10 year old boy let's make you a king of the entire planet that I've never seen before."

It's insanely stupid and I did a double take at how fast it was. Then it just got dumber and dumber and I checked out.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Who're people maining in combat? My party is Evan, Roland, and Batu. I keep trying to use Evan since the game obviously wants me to, but Roland's AoEs are really awesome when doing overworld stuff, which is most of the game

e:Does danger level affect loot?

Blast of Confetti fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Mar 26, 2018

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I think it does, it mentioned greater rewards in the tutorial prompt.

Also I wasn't paying attention to much of the voice work because it's pretty middling. Soon as Leander got mad though I had a "holy poo poo hold up is that shulk" and I'm laughing my rear end off. Well there's one voice I could listen to I guess :allears:

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Like, if there was some downtime and some insight I might be able to buy it a bit better but he survives a nuclear warhead and is thrust into a harrypotter magic world where he has to babysit a catboy and gun down some mice (one of which turns into a centaur???) and his first thought once it's all clear is "yeah they can handle that mess themselves nobody will miss the president of the united states, my family doesn't matter gently caress it I'm throwing my lot in with you 10 year old boy let's make you a king of the entire planet that I've never seen before."

It's insanely stupid and I did a double take at how fast it was. Then it just got dumber and dumber and I checked out.

I think it's either laziness or trying to play up Roland as ludicrously genre-savvy. The true secret of the president of the not-USA is that he's a huge weeb so when he found himself in an alternate world with cat and mouse people as a younger version of himself he just went "Score, time to live out my anime dreams."

Jokes aside, I do think he probably realized nearly immediately that he couldn't exactly just go home, no one knows how he got there and crying about it won't help. So might as well just help this random catboy become king of the world. Maybe that's even him being extra genre savvy. "You know, in these kinds of stories the summoned hero has to do some sort of important task and I did get teleported literally into this kid's bedroom, so that's PROBABLY it."

That's my headcanon anyways.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Not far enough into the game yet to say, really, having just finished chapter 4, but it feels more like they're just echoing really positive, but un-nuanced, children's fairy tales in the characters like they are in the story

Motivations and suchlike don't need to make much sense in the face of that

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Mar 26, 2018

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Nah, I'd say it's pretty bad. Almost all the characters work on total nonsense logic and it feels completely directionless. Like none of the motives for anyone make a lick of sense outside Evan and it's kind of stupid.

Game is fun and I love town building so I still like it but this is the first game in a long time where I've just checked out almost completely. I'm in chapter 5 and I'm apparently going to be hit by the nonsense zone if this thread is anything to go by.
I thought it was fitting when Batu joins he literally says something like all right it's time for a life of servitude.

The dialog seems so stupidly self aware at times I can't help but laugh. I mean the game practically starts with a rat stroking his goatee.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
I definitely love the game. My most significant criticism is that I do wish the game was more difficult. I am fighting as many high-level enemies as I can to have more fun, and that has the effect of over leveling me.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JackDarko posted:

I definitely love the game. My most significant criticism is that I do wish the game was more difficult. I am fighting as many high-level enemies as I can to have more fun, and that has the effect of over leveling me.

If you're on PC there's a CheatEngine table posted a few pages ago to tweak it

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I'm still a bit unclear on what increases your kingsguilder revenue- should I be initially pouring huge amounts of money into the small pool of upgrades that lets me level up my kingdom, or should I just spam a bunch of smaller buildings I don't have the people to staff yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Omi no Kami posted:

I'm still a bit unclear on what increases your kingsguilder revenue- should I be initially pouring huge amounts of money into the small pool of upgrades that lets me level up my kingdom, or should I just spam a bunch of smaller buildings I don't have the people to staff yet?

Influence determines your income, your best investments are unique buildings like the curse removal/tavern as they are way bigger boosts then say a mining camp. Once you can build the square save up for it then Institute as it has useful upgrades. Unfortunately the grind is high and if you play the game with any sort of speed you will outpace your kingdom by far.

• Locked thread