Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
The box switches are definitely an interesting idea. I really like how keypresses feel with o-rings, and they're not compatible with the box style stems, which would take some getting used to, but I may not need them either with such a heavy spring. Only other downside I see to those is that they use a spring with a different radius than a traditional MX spring, so I can't replace the spring if I decide I still want to go heavier than 70g. The price is kinda amazing, though, at $3 for 10 switches. That's low enough that it's probably worth the gamble.

Edit: Screw it, why not. I'll try them on the K-Type, and see what I think.

G-Prime fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Mar 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

The Postman posted:

In the market for my first mechanical keyboard and figured I'd ask for a general recommendation before I went straight for something from the Quick Picks list. I definitely want to go full size and I'm leaning towards the WASD.

Is this still a pretty solid starter purchase or should I consider any other options more?

I was in the same boat as you a month ago, and after trying a few mechanical gaming keyboards, decided on the Code: https://codekeyboards.com/

My understanding is that it's basically a WASD, but backlit (as it appears that none of the WASD offerings are backlit).

I haven't used it a TON yet, but it's quite nice. Would recommend.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
Fwiw the Code pretty much is the back-lit WASD offering, just slightly different branding and a collab with an outside designer. WASD sells it on their site (it's one of their two lines), they just also built out a separate site iirc. It's a great keyboard, seconding the recommendation.

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

IS THAT A STUPID NEWBIE AVATAR? FUCK NO, YOU'RE GETTING A PENTAR

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Products
It's time to get a real keyboard.

What's the goto Cherry Brown, non-gamer ten keyless? Everything has crazy LED lights and stuff I'm never going to use! I just want to type.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop

Hummer Driving human being posted:

What's the goto Cherry Brown, non-gamer ten keyless? Everything has crazy LED lights and stuff I'm never going to use! I just want to type.

I got the Filco Majestouch 2 TKL and have been happy with it. The stock keycaps felt a little flimsy, but otherwise it's a solid board with no frills.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
When can RealForce RGB boards be found for sale? Is it seasonal availability or what?

Actually, has anyone heard any more news on the Realforce RGB TKL that Topre apparently announced?

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe

I was looking for the same thing and ended up getting a Leopold 750, though I've heard the Filcos are nice too. The Leopolds come in good color schemes.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I was looking at the Filco Majestouch 2 TKL as mentioned by Spiggy and the Cooler Master Masterkeys S TKL.

I went with the Cooler Master as it was a bit cheaper here in the UK, but I don't think you would go wrong with either from the research I did online.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Techokami posted:

When doing my desktop computer refresh, I took things in a different direction for the keyboard. I got an Apple Extended Keyboard II, which has the same layout as a regular PC keyboard but with nice Alps White Dampened switches. To go from ADB to USB, I used this guide and this repo as a guide and created an adapter with $3 in parts from Digikey and a Teensy 2.0. The creator of the software used on said Teensy makes pre-made adapters for $35, which is your best non-DIY bet as all the older ADB to USB adapters that came around after Apple switched to USB with the iMac are now stupid rare and hella expensive.

Welcome to the AEK club :hfive:

These keyboards are loving amazing and I'm just worried that by the time my current one (which is already 30 years old) wears out, it'll be impossible to find another.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Mar 25, 2018

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
SA Carbon group buy is being delivered now, huzzah. Got my ErgoDox completed:

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

IS THAT A STUPID NEWBIE AVATAR? FUCK NO, YOU'RE GETTING A PENTAR

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Products

Dead Goon posted:

I was looking at the Filco Majestouch 2 TKL as mentioned by Spiggy and the Cooler Master Masterkeys S TKL.

I went with the Cooler Master as it was a bit cheaper here in the UK, but I don't think you would go wrong with either from the research I did online.

I went for the Cooler Master for your same reasons. Thank you all for the advice. All three suggestions looked fine for what I need.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Just how much do rubber o-rings dampen sound?

Fats posted:

I was looking for the same thing and ended up getting a Leopold 750, though I've heard the Filcos are nice too. The Leopolds come in good color schemes.
I don't know the situation now, but a lot of my leopold PBT keycaps snapped where the stem goes in just from typing and gaming. WASD/R/T/Y/J/K/L all did.

I've replaced them with the ducky ABS caps I had laying around and those have held up just fine. The ABS caps are shiny and get fingernail imprints sometimes, but they seem to hold up fine in the medium term.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Mar 26, 2018

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe

Khorne posted:

I don't know the situation now, but a lot of my leopold PBT keycaps snapped where the stem goes in just from typing and gaming. WASD/R/T/Y/J/K/L all did.

I've replaced them with the ducky ABS caps I had laying around and those have held up just fine. The ABS caps are shiny and get fingernail imprints sometimes, but they seem to hold up fine in the medium term.

Hm, that’s worrying. This thing is destined for work, so I guess I’ll see how it holds up.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Fats posted:

Hm, that’s worrying. This thing is destined for work, so I guess I’ll see how it holds up.
Honestly, PBT are supposed to be better. I might really slam keys hard compared to most people. Especially in games that require fast and accurate input. While typing I can mostly avoid bottoming out, but while gaming it's slam city.

When I type the keys coming up are loud as hell and when I game the keys bottoming out are loud as hell.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,

Khorne posted:

Not a ton, honestly. What they do is make it significantly harder to bottom out, which inherently reduces the noise the switches make, because there's not that hard impact at the end.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

Khorne posted:

Not much. It helps dampen the downstroke, but upstroke noise stays the same. If you really want to go silent, you can get silent switches (they have rubber on the end of the switch slider dampening the sound) and get silencing clips (like a housing for the switch that blocks the sound). Though with that much money invested in those things, I'd just go rubberdome.

mewse
May 2, 2006

The gateron silents are affordable

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
Yeah, but silencing clips are not. Zealllllllll

Constellation I fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Mar 26, 2018

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Constellation I posted:

Holy poo poo those are expensive when they cost literal pennies to manufacture.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Khorne posted:

To add to the experiences shared so far, I would say they actually make a decently significant change in noise for SA profile keycaps. In addition to stopping the bottom-out sound, they also fill up some of the empty space inside the keycap, reducing the resonance some. However, due to the design of Signature Plastics's SA profile, you will need a strange series of O-rings per keycap. For Kailh switches that have a total travel of 3.6mm, you will need to add another 1.5mm O-ring per keycap on top of the linked recipe.

As mentioned above, O-rings do nothing for BOX switches, except make your keycap more likely to pop off.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

Fats posted:

Just spent way too much on the TKL version of this, also with MX clears. I've never had a fancy keyboard, so naturally my first one was a weirdly esoteric model I had to order from some dude in South Korea.

Oh I thought widebasket sold out. I have already moved on to a custom WASD with MOD-H switches, lol. They feel great. The MX Clear Leopolds are not bad either.

Slurps Mad Rips
Jan 25, 2009

Bwaltow!

Constellation I posted:

GMK is manufacturing QMX silencing clips for half the price. Still ridiculous considering price to manufacturing cost, but if you really want to get all up in those clips, it’s doable. Like Zealencios, they only fit cherries and gateron manufactured switches.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
After a few months of consensus posting from the thread I've decided to move Kalih up to Good Cherry Clones from Nope. Any other changes people would like to see to the OP?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Is there software that tracks key presses so I can get an idea of how often I use things like function keys, arrows and numpad?

I feel like that would help me decide what level of compact keeb is right for me.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

After a few months of consensus posting from the thread I've decided to move Kalih up to Good Cherry Clones from Nope. Any other changes people would like to see to the OP?

Chyrosran22's Youtube channel is full of vintage keyboard reviews, and may be useful if people want to buy old poo poo on eBay instead of picking up a Code or a Unicomp or whatever. It's also a fun time sink if you want to nerd out about old keyboards, and even has the dorkiest background noise video you can possibly listen to.

mewse
May 2, 2006

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Is there software that tracks key presses so I can get an idea of how often I use things like function keys, arrows and numpad?

I feel like that would help me decide what level of compact keeb is right for me.

Haven't used it but this looks promising: https://whatpulse.org/

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005

Move Cherry switches to nope.

HEY NONG MAN posted:

https://whatpulse.org/

Pretty decent heatmap for keyboards and other things.

Constellation I fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Mar 27, 2018

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Just got an email from WASD that says they’re gonna start selling CODEs with zealios.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Just got an email from WASD that says they’re gonna start selling CODEs with zealios.

Whoa how much is that going to cost?

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
$190 for TKL, $200 for full.

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/code-keyboard.html

mewse
May 2, 2006

Maybe something about romer-g (decent but weird?) and these vids about desoldering switches

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ja4U75kF1Jw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_dvf45hN6Y

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Constellation I posted:

Move Cherry switches to nope.

They're not that bad, are they? I've heard the retooled Browns are pretty good, at least.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm mostly joking, but the retooled Cherry MX switches are a lot less scratchy, so they closed the gap on that. But with all the options out there, there's really no reason to go with Cherry switches other than if they come with the board you're buying.

Linears - Gateron and Kailh Box are smoother.
Tactile - Almost anything else is better than Cherry Browns. Clears are great, but people also want them lighter, which is what led to "ergo" Clear options which eventually led to things like Zealios.
Clicky - definitely the worst type compared to all the other clones. Like I'd take how an Outemu Blue sounds and feels over Cherry MX Blue any day. Not to mention nowadays you have more options such click-bars and improved traditional sleeve jacket clickies like Kailh Gold, etc.

It's a good thing that there's a lot more options out there now for hotswappable sockets in consumer keyboards, so people can really try and figure out their preferences in terms of switches.

Constellation I fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Mar 28, 2018

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Ah, gotcha. I agree that all the clones out there are better than the venerable OG Cherry switches, at least for tactiles, which are the only ones I have experience with. Gateron Brown was smoother than Cherry MX Brown, but its significantly lower actuation point made typing a little awkward with sculpted SA caps.

I've had good experiences with Kailh switches so far. Just switched from BOX Brown to Pro Purple, but both are quite good and I'm not sure I can name a favorite between the two. Speed Copper was pretty all right too, but I ended up selling those off.

Very much looking forward to the NovelKeys BOX Royal!

mewse
May 2, 2006

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

Very much looking forward to the NovelKeys BOX Royal!

I just ordered box navys

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
dat bump

Slurps Mad Rips
Jan 25, 2009

Bwaltow!

Not even close my dude

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I have em and don't like em (sorry mgsickler) and I'm talking about tactiles not clickies, sir

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Input Club have posted their force curve of the BOX Royal :awesomelon:

I am somewhat concerned that sudden and sharp drop-off after the bump will make it very hard not to bottom out on these switches, but that bump...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arpanets
Feb 27, 2012

These BKE Redux Extremes are kinda ridiculous - they didn't feel that extreme until I put them in the board. Still better than the previously variable weighting it had.

And at the very least, it'll force me to carefully contemplate every character of code I write.