Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Samuringa posted:

Despite taking place in the far future and in a completely different star system from Earth, Titanfall 2 still has a very German villain, hamming the gently caress out and generally being a dickbag. Not gonna say he was a Nazi, but also ain't gonna say he wasn't...

The dudes name was General Marder, and his top henchman was called Blisk, theyre definitely space Nazis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Inspector Gesicht posted:

They should have called the reboot "Dude Killer" because you raid gently caress-all tombs in that game

You can actually raid hella lotta tombs

They're optional though.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Gnome de plume posted:

At that stage of her career she's more about filling tombs than emptying them.

When you think about it, bodying entire populations of people at once so that they all have to be buried in mass graves is futureproofing for the tomb raiding industry.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Biplane posted:

The dudes name was General Marder, and his top henchman was called Blisk, theyre definitely space Nazis.

I meant this dude, in particular, the one with the gratuitous german

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPeMHJbm-dc

exquisite tea posted:

Yeah, I think so. In particular I've been playing Endurance Mode which puts you on a procedurally generated wildnerness tileset where you have to survive as long as possible fighting off hunger and cold while raiding tombs for phat loot. It's brutally hard and very addictive. I think it used to be its own DLC but now it comes packaged with the anniversary edition if you got that. Anyway if you pick the game back up I highly recommend it.

I'll probably rebuy it for the ps4 someday, it's a disservice to play such a pretty game on low settings.

Samuringa has a new favorite as of 01:54 on Mar 26, 2018

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Samuringa posted:

I meant this dude, in particular, the one with the gratuitous german

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPeMHJbm-dc

I'll probably rebuy it for the ps4 someday, it's a disservice to play such a pretty game on low settings.

it's pretty cheap for consoles, I got a copy of it at Gamestop for $15 or so

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Biplane posted:

Blisk is South Space African, but yeah hes evil as hell.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

exquisite tea posted:

When you think about it, bodying entire populations of people at once so that they all have to be buried in mass graves is futureproofing for the tomb raiding industry.

So basically you're saying Ken M was right?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The violence in the new tomb raider games is very graphic and brutal and imo is sometimes disturbing to view

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
During one of the days in Night in the Woods, you can talk to an NPC who's in a backyard wrestling league.

And then he never appears again.

I wanna do/see backyard wrestling. :sigh:

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
I just downloaded the demo for Yakuza 6. I’ve never played a Yakuza game before. Skipped a ton of cutscenes since it’s a demo, got in to a fight with some thugs out on the street.

Tossed one like a rag doll, took out the other two, then as the first one stood up I accidentally kicked a pylon, hit the guy in the head, and knocked him out. :darksouls:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Dr Christmas posted:

During one of the days in Night in the Woods, you can talk to an NPC who's in a backyard wrestling league.

And then he never appears again.

I wanna do/see backyard wrestling. :sigh:

The crusties?

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

No, just a town NPC standing by himself. He appears on one of the earlier days.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I just downloaded the demo for Yakuza 6. I’ve never played a Yakuza game before. Skipped a ton of cutscenes since it’s a demo, got in to a fight with some thugs out on the street.

Tossed one like a rag doll, took out the other two, then as the first one stood up I accidentally kicked a pylon, hit the guy in the head, and knocked him out. :darksouls:

You are going to absolutely adore this series then :allears: If you ever see Yakuza 0 or Kiwami for a good price I implore you to pick it up

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Danaru posted:

You are going to absolutely adore this series then :allears: If you ever see Yakuza 0 or Kiwami for a good price I implore you to pick it up

Is the first Yakuza the only one with the terrible shooter section at the end? Do the others actually play consistently, cause if so I may just look up the ending and move to Yakuza 2.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

Is the first Yakuza the only one with the terrible shooter section at the end? Do the others actually play consistently, cause if so I may just look up the ending and move to Yakuza 2.

There's a shooter section in both 0 and Kiwami. Maybe 2 as well! It's a Sega thing.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Oxxidation posted:

There's a shooter section in both 0 and Kiwami. Maybe 2 as well! It's a Sega thing.

I was just asking because they are borderline unplayable and totally unfun and ruin the games.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

I was just asking because they are borderline unplayable and totally unfun and ruin the games.

They're deeply stupid.

*extremely Kiryuishly* "To kill someone is to cross a line that can never be uncrossed" *turns dramatically away from corpse-strewn highway totally on fire*

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Danaru posted:

I can preorder 6 for $100 and get 0 included. Is that okay? Does the series go on sale for cheaper?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I want to play Yakuza. Hurry up with a PC port.

For now I'll just play Sleeping Dogs again.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
That's exactly what I did last month.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

BioEnchanted posted:

Huh, a friend and I were just talking about how annoying and stupid the forced shooter sections in Banjo-Tooie are. Come on game, that's not your genre! Just give me the goods I came here for, don't waste my time and sap the momentum of the game over this poo poo.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

They're deeply stupid.

*extremely Kiryuishly* "To kill someone is to cross a line that can never be uncrossed" *turns dramatically away from corpse-strewn highway totally on fire*

I don't even own a gun, I say as I pull a swordfish converted into a howitzer out of my pocket.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.

Bussamove posted:

I don't even own a gun, I say as I pull a gun of the exact same model that was used to frame me for murder out of my pocket and begin shooting people with it.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I can see their parachutes! They're okay!

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejxklDwvGx0

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

As JRPGs go, Yakuza is a lot closer to Earthbound than Skyrim. People don't die till you get into a cutscene and none of your random encounters are killed.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

RareAcumen posted:

As JRPGs go, Yakuza is a lot closer to Earthbound than Skyrim. People don't die till you get into a cutscene and none of your random encounters are killed.

Cursed Post

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Yakuza games are great but I don't think I've ever finished one. I usually get too distracted walking through town drinking, doing minigames, and teaching punks the error of their ways by dropping mailboxes on their faces.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

exquisite tea posted:

Been playing a lot of the Tomb Raider reboots this week and I just love Lara's totally unhinged expressions while she's brutally executing dudes. Crucially, her sudden and instantaneous transformation from nerdy archaeology grad into history's greatest monster is all played completely straight. The girl got issues.

I like the one where she straight up brains a dude with a rock.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

"Good heavens Lara, they surely didn't teach you that at cotillion!" :monocle:

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
One thing I'm really loving in Yakuza 0 is that they give you the ability to skip random battles (by comically throwing money in the air) at the point where the minigame/sidequest/business sim stuff starts to get really good. Running back and forth across the map to do stuff doesn't bug me too much, but if I had to get into 2 or 3 fights every time it'd get annoying.

Also, Kiryu's heat move where he picks up an enemy and swings him in a circle hitting the rest of the enemies never gets old.

lamey_whinehouse
Jul 5, 2007

by Smythe

Twitch posted:

One thing I'm really loving in Yakuza 0 is that they give you the ability to skip random battles (by comically throwing money in the air) at the point where the minigame/sidequest/business sim stuff starts to get really good. Running back and forth across the map to do stuff doesn't bug me too much, but if I had to get into 2 or 3 fights every time it'd get annoying.

Also, Kiryu's heat move where he picks up an enemy and swings him in a circle hitting the rest of the enemies never gets old.

My favorite Kiryu heat move (I think it's in Yakuza 0) is triggered when he has a bicycle in his hand, and he gets on the bike and rides it into the enemy. So hilariously stupid.

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

I was personally a fan of Majima's completely nonlethal "kick a knife into a man's chest, rip it out, and then slash open his stomach a couple times."

Heat moves involving umbrellas are always my favorites, so I also loved opening an umbrella in a guy's face and knocking him on his rear end.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
The remake of Shadow of the Colossus has been my total obsession for the last few days.

It’s kind of a little thing even though it’s absolutely crucial is that the game is absolutely faithful to the original. I’ve beaten SOTC a billion times, and even though this is one of the prettiest games I’ve ever seen, it controls and handles just like the game I’ve known for years.

It’s incredible how they managed to cram a ton of new little details into the art and world and yet it still looks perfect. A couple of reviews mentioned how they under-did the bloom lighting of the original, but they more than made up for that with the new lighting engine being totally gorgeous, especially in the “cinematic” mode.

Also: being able to screw with visual filters and keep playing the game with them on is great, given how pretty the whole thing is. :allears:

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
In the original Tomb Raider series, Lara's basically a murderous psychopath if you look at that through that lense. TR2 she kills like 50 dudes on her property in a bathrobe, then cut to her about to undress for the camera and bam she shoots you, the player with a shotgun for being a perv (you have no input in this). In TR3 she straight up shoots up Area 51. Take that MPs this is archeology. There was basically no character writing, she was the hot chick with guns 90s female character stereotype.

The new TR went with realistic violence and some found it disturbing and grody. And that should be a natural reaction when you see "realistic" violence. People notice that Lara's expression is now of anger and fear while she goes primal on the rapey killers. People she kills are one dimensional as is the shooty game tradition, but she ain't smirking making quips along the way. I loving love that because a sane person should react that way. She ain't a monster yet, she becomes one once she becomes the cold blooded killer who just straight up kills us government employees who have the macguffin she wants.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Dewgy posted:

The remake of Shadow of the Colossus has been my total obsession for the last few days.

It’s kind of a little thing even though it’s absolutely crucial is that the game is absolutely faithful to the original. I’ve beaten SOTC a billion times, and even though this is one of the prettiest games I’ve ever seen, it controls and handles just like the game I’ve known for years.

It’s incredible how they managed to cram a ton of new little details into the art and world and yet it still looks perfect. A couple of reviews mentioned how they under-did the bloom lighting of the original, but they more than made up for that with the new lighting engine being totally gorgeous, especially in the “cinematic” mode.

Also: being able to screw with visual filters and keep playing the game with them on is great, given how pretty the whole thing is. :allears:

Bloom was one of those graphical advancements that once it became widely known was absolutely everywhere to the point of parody. Even the flowers in Twilight Princess and rocks in Oblivion had bloom filters, poo poo was ridiculous. Now that games have better underlying tech and some neat postprocessing tricks like subsurface scattering etc. that distinctive bloom technique of the mid-2000s has been greatly scaled down for softer, more normal-looking light sources.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

exquisite tea posted:

Bloom was one of those graphical advancements that once it became widely known was absolutely everywhere to the point of parody. Even the flowers in Twilight Princess and rocks in Oblivion had bloom filters, poo poo was ridiculous. Now that games have better underlying tech and some neat postprocessing tricks like subsurface scattering etc. that distinctive bloom technique of the mid-2000s has been greatly scaled down for softer, more normal-looking light sources.

If something is going to have bloom, it ought to be flowers.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

exquisite tea posted:

Yeah, this was definitely true. Fable was the other big one, though SOTC on PS2 really made amazing use of it to add depth to the relatively low fidelity models and textures. The remake doesn’t need to cheat like that though.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

exquisite tea posted:

I actually liked how Oblivion was nothing but bloom. It made the game seem significantly less serious and made it easier to just have fun with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

SotC is unassailable because Team Ico was pulling some dark magic to get that thing running on PS2 hardware. The game made your Playstation sound like it was about to explode just reading the disc.