Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Politicians basing their policies on widely shared facebook posts.

Good to see our racist uncle's finally got a job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

it’s insanely cool that we can trace a fairly straight line from nazis through news corp commentators to senior cabinet members

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
lol the Australian had to change their articles late overnight from saying newspoll was a clear reflection of people’s views on shortens great big new tax when they got the actual results

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Solemn Sloth posted:

lol the Australian had to change their articles late overnight from saying newspoll was a clear reflection of people’s views on shortens great big new tax when they got the actual results

What were the results?

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

turnbull bad, shorten rad

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

Apart from all the other racist poo poo in this, referring to Zimbabwe as "Rhodesia"

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

tithin posted:

What were the results?

Zero change on 2pp, still 53-47 Labor lead, Labor +1 in primary

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Solemn Sloth posted:

Zero change on 2pp, still 53-47 Labor lead, Labor +1 in primary

THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN MURDOCH :CLAP: :CLAP :

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Guardian posted:

Granting a visa to a foreign au pair was in the public interest, Peter Dutton has said, after using his ministerial powers to intervene in her case.

The visa was granted after a young woman’s bid to enter Australia was ruled unlawful following her detention at Brisbane airport.

The young woman had her eVisitor visa cancelled at the Brisbane airport on 17 June 2015, rendering her an “unlawful non-citizen” under migration laws.
The changing shape of Australia's immigration policy
Read more

AAP understands she made a phone call to a contact while detained at the airport and was “quickly” granted a new visa which allowed her to lawfully enter Australia.

A document tabled in parliament shows the woman was granted a tourist visa (subclass 600) after Dutton, who was the immigration minister at the time and is now the home affairs minister, used his ministerial discretion to intervene in the case.

“Having regard to this person’s particular circumstances and personal characteristics, I have decided to exercise my discretionary powers … as it would be in the public interest to grant this person a visa,” the parliamentary document says.

“I have decided that as a discretionary and humanitarian act to an individual with ongoing needs it is in the interests of Australia as a humane and generous society to grant this person a [visa].”

An immigration official familiar with the visa cancellation process at the airport was “very surprised at this unusual set of events”.

“It is not very common for visas to be granted at the border after the visa a person arrived on is cancelled,” the source told AAP. They said usually people were put on the next available flight home.

Analysis of ministerial discretion statements for 2015 tabled in parliament shows the bulk of these visas are granted to asylum seekers requiring bridging or temporary humanitarian visas or former residents returning to Australia.

A former department official told AAP under the ministerial discretion powers “the minister is God. He can do whatever he likes.”

Ministerial submissions concerning the au pair did not involve consultation with the department secretary or the head of customs.

Dutton has declined to explain why it was in the public interest to grant a visa to the woman and refused to shed light on her “ongoing needs”. Dutton has denied he personally knew the au pair and that she worked for him or his family. The minister and his wife, Kirilly, have three young children.

“The decision did not breach the statement of ministerial standards,” Dutton told AAP in 2016.

Ministerial standards under the Turnbull and Abbott governments state: “It is critical that ministers do not use public office for private purposes.

“Ministers are required to ensure official decisions made by them as ministers are unaffected by bias or … considerations of private advantage.

“Ministers must ensure they act with integrity – that is through the lawful and disinterested exercise of statutory and other powers available to their office.”

Over the past two years Dutton’s department has been trying to suppress key details of the case and the reasons underpinning the decision.

AAP sought access to details surrounding the case under freedom of information laws, but documents supplied were heavily redacted citing privacy concerns. AAP is now awaiting an outcome from the administrative appeals tribunal.

During the tribunal’s hearing earlier this month, AAP argued the news outlet was not seeking the woman’s name and that releasing details which might relate to her employer would not specifically identify her.

AAP’s lawyer Surya Palaniappan said there were strong public interest grounds for disclosing further information from the FOI documents.

“Even if the minister has somewhat of an unfettered discretion under the Migration Act, he’s nevertheless subject to these [ministerial] standards,” she told the hearing.

The department’s lawyer, Brooke Griffin, argued disclosure of personal information of the au pair, including country of origin, employer and conversations with Border Force officials, would be unreasonable because it would breach privacy and make her identifiable.

“There is no evidence whatsoever, before the tribunal, of any personal link between the minister and the [au pair],” Griffin told the tribunal.

“Nor could it be said that the release of the personal information … will shed any light whatsoever on the allegation … at the moment it is mere speculation.”

Tribunal member Chris Puplick, a former Liberal senator, promised to make a decision on the case “reasonably expeditiously” but gave no time frame

swimsuit
Jan 22, 2009

yeah

but are they facebook official, mistah speakah?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Zenithe posted:

As a Wesfarmers employee I sure can't wait for my pay r-aaaahahaha AAAAAHAHAHAA

Don't you work in their fuel arm? I heard they were splitting that part of the company off from the rest.

What's going to happen to your pay scale when all the old Westfarmer agreements are no longer valid?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

lol hopefully it’s some shady poo poo.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

put both hands in posted:

Apart from all the other racist poo poo in this, referring to Zimbabwe as "Rhodesia"

Jesus loving Christ.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Gorilla Salad posted:

Don't you work in their fuel arm? I heard they were splitting that part of the company off from the rest.

What's going to happen to your pay scale when all the old Westfarmer agreements are no longer valid?

We got new agreement with a pay raise!

From $22.05000 an hour.

To $22.40790 an hour.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Well, have to say that's the opposite to what I expected.

Hope you get to keep your weekend/public holiday/vacation loadings, too.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

drat, Di Natale is getting out of control

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
We have been on a pay freeze since 2014 due to an expired agreement, so that’s supposed to be four years of cost of living increases. Loading is the same, poo poo. E.g this Easter Sunday is time and a half because penalty rates don’t stack.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/TonyAbbottMHR/status/978051616296255488

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

“there is no evidence of a personal link between the minister and the au pair because we have redacted all the evidence, therefore we should not have to provide unredacted evidence”

lawyers are cool

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

"Dutton affair with au pair"

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
The media seems to be completely ignoring the completely insane new welfare crackdown legislation demanded by one nation.

Ross Gittens (thank gently caress he exists, seriously) did an excellent writeup

https://www.theage.com.au/business/the-economy/we-have-a-bad-case-of-misdirected-compassion-20180325-p4z64c.html

quote:

The unemployed will no longer be back-paid to the day they lodged their claim, meaning the longer Centrelink takes to process that claim, the longer the jobless go without (or have to go cap-in-hand to outfits like the Salvos) and the more pennies the government saves.
Let’s hope it doesn’t make lengthening processing times a KPI.
Until now, the legislation has protected people who can’t complete and lodge their claim because they’re in hospital, are homeless, are escaping domestic violence, or are victims of natural disaster or fire. Sorry, such pathetic excuses will no longer be accepted.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Yes, keep on fighting between one another, Liberals :devil:

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
See, I asked my closeted racist brother his opinion on the South Africa thing.

And by that I mean "he brought it up because he thinks he's oh so much smarter than his loony sister".

So here it is, straight from the racist horses mouth:

Firstly, South Africans "will fit in better".

Secondly, they have "desirable skills"

He couldn't decide if they were refugees or skilled migrants (or at least didn't give me a straight answer), but claims Australia has "absolute discretion" over who to let in, so why not let in the people who are going to fit in and aren't terrorists.

Also, Islam is not a race so I couldn't call him racist. I pointed out Anti-Semitism is considered a type of racism despite Judaism not being a a race, either (he didn't say anything to that). And also domestic violence and furniture falling on people kills or injures more people than terrorism alone, so he's got warped priorities, but he kinda implied there was nothing we could do about those things.

Then again, this is the same guy who a while back, when I pointed out Ivan Milat was a white guy, said Milat was a Slav and therefore that's different.

Kill me now, dude has been brainwashed by white male privilege and right wing media. I think the funniest thing is that when I consider our individual circumstances, he should be the hippy dippy left leaning one while I should be the one saying "gently caress you got mine" and crushing the least well off under my boot.

This is what the average Aussie racist voter thinks. I don't think anything is going to change until the major media companies in control of the narrative start portraying the facts in an less biased way that shows the likes of Dutton for what he is - pandering to the racist vote.

froglet fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Mar 26, 2018

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
SANTA Sabina College furore over gender fluidity and the teaching of Islam is a microcosm of a wider battle for our culture, writes Miranda Devine.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
It's too easy for it to be his au pair with his big denials that I never hired her. It's probably a big donor's or possibly another party member, so just as scummy but he's not lying so no harm no foul :smugdog:

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
Kebab shops' refusal to offer non-Halal Halal snack packs is discrimination and a microcosm of a wider battle for our culture, writes Miranda Devine

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

i'm going to poo poo my dacks when it turns out to be barnaupair joyce's

do it on my face
Feb 6, 2005
°
http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-26/proposal-for-victims-of-crime-access-perpetrators-superannuation/9587154

ABC News posted:

Victims of crime could be allowed to access their perpetrators' superannuation as part of compensation, under proposed legislation being worked on by the Federal Government.

This can only end well

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

How come in every photo Kelly O'Dwyer looks like she's just been told that there's a cake nearby

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

make more criminals reliant on the pension, thereby adding the ex-con voting block to the pension voting block which is solidly liberal. that’s praxis

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

bell jar posted:

How come in every photo Kelly O'Dwyer looks like she's just been told that there's a cake nearby

She looks like she's about to tell everyone in earshot about her pet cats too.

Or she looks like someone who would have some.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Haha, Bernardi having a mini-meltdown on Twitter this afternoon.

https://twitter.com/AuConservatives/status/978078964265529344
https://twitter.com/AuConservatives/status/978098637308772352
https://twitter.com/AuConservatives/status/978099323274649601
https://twitter.com/AuConservatives/status/978099574412750848
https://twitter.com/AuConservatives/status/978099949345767424
https://twitter.com/AuConservatives/status/978100148197732352
https://twitter.com/AuConservatives/status/978100342792404992
https://twitter.com/AuConservatives/status/978101214700191744

Not sorry for the wall of tweets, they're more delicious as a group.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Cool, can we apply this to the banking royal commission?

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

Senor Tron posted:

Haha, Bernardi having a mini-meltdown on Twitter this afternoon.

https://twitter.com/AuConservatives/status/978099949345767424

Not sorry for the wall of tweets, they're more delicious as a group.

we also believe in smaller political parties

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Cory go on Boonta Vista.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I can finally use my Super to pay for a house

After I use my Super to pay the debt collectors, Centrelink, Telstra Health and Dominoes Pizza.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Amethyst posted:

The media seems to be completely ignoring the completely insane new welfare crackdown legislation demanded by one nation.

Ross Gittens (thank gently caress he exists, seriously) did an excellent writeup

https://www.theage.com.au/business/the-economy/we-have-a-bad-case-of-misdirected-compassion-20180325-p4z64c.html

That's bad.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

The year is 2254

I park at a car park to go see a movie

The parking officer asks if I have enough Frequent Flyer points to park here. I take a draw from my Electronic Cigarette and say no. Then I proceeded to write down my superannuation information. I walk down Elizabeth Street, recently renamed to Howard Avenue to go see a movie.

I get turned away, this theatre is only for BUPA customers.

I pull out my smart watch and ask Alexa to buy some groceries, she asks me if I would like to subscribe to Prime video for a 0.5% discount off my next purchase. I accept and put the bill on my super.

My workers collar vibrates, it's time to get on my e-bike and deliver food to a man named Frank.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Anidav posted:

The year is 2254

I park at a car park to go see a movie

The parking officer asks if I have enough Frequent Flyer points to park here. I take a draw from my Electronic Cigarette and say no. Then I proceeded to write down my superannuation information. I walk down Elizabeth Street, recently renamed to Howard Avenue to go see a movie.

I get turned away, this theatre is only for BUPA customers.

I pull out my smart watch and ask Alexa to buy some groceries, she asks me if I would like to subscribe to Prime video for a 0.5% discount off my next purchase. I accept and put the bill on my super.

My workers collar vibrates, it's time to get on my e-bike and deliver food to a man named Frank.
All this because you stayed in Queensland, now known as PaulinesLand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

E_Diary.Exe 23/01/2042

Saw a brown person today. Prayed at Dutton shrine to wish for good fortune and to ward away evil spirits. Read news report about the arrest of underground rebel union officials. May the church of Dutton purge them.

• Locked thread