Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Autism Sneaks posted:

mostly "what the gently caress do I do with all these Commanders now???"

Throw them on the pile of 7th Ed Riptides I’m sure they also have lying around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurlapNapkin
Feb 11, 2013

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I was watching InControl's codex review for Necrons, and he mentioned in the beginning that a significant number of Tau players were not happy with the new Tau codex. The subtext made it seem like it was more about changing the style rather general weakness.

What's the deal my friends? Fluff changes? Rule changes to orient the army differently?

My (weird and specific) take on this is that it feels pretty low-effort. The result is quite unbalanced internally, with a few very potent units that compete well in the game at large, and a few that are very poor choices (and very cool models). It carries on from the index as an army with an abundance of non-bos and redundancy in its special rules. Basically it feels like there wasn't any passion for the faction from the designers, and they didn't care to make building lists or playing with them an enjoyable experience.

I think wargear selection and model customization are awesome in 8th, and Tau have a lot more modularity than most factions. Unfortunately weapon options are not very balanced, and support systems don't really provide units with new role options.

We got an even more amazingly broken (for Tau) HQ option, but no improvement or customization options were added for the more mundane HQ choices. For such a cooperatively themed army, our leader buffs are still very weak and/or limited.

I like a lot of the strategems flavor wise, and they're interesting enough to compete with eachother. So that wasn't all bad. Generally CP for CP you're going to get a lot weaker effects than other codex armies, but this is fine and I'm just happy there's lots of decent options.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

BurlapNapkin posted:

My (weird and specific) take on this is that it feels pretty low-effort. The result is quite unbalanced internally, with a few very potent units that compete well in the game at large, and a few that are very poor choices (and very cool models). It carries on from the index as an army with an abundance of non-bos and redundancy in its special rules. Basically it feels like there wasn't any passion for the faction from the designers, and they didn't care to make building lists or playing with them an enjoyable experience.
Cool thanks for the response. What are BOS?

And the main problem is that there are a few units that are actually good in the 40k meta so most armies will gravitate to those?

PierreTheMime posted:

Throw them on the pile of 7th Ed Riptides I’m sure they also have lying around.

oh snap, did they make all the cool battlesuits suck now?

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I was watching InControl's codex review for Necrons, and he mentioned in the beginning that a significant number of Tau players were not happy with the new Tau codex. The subtext made it seem like it was more about changing the style rather general weakness.

What's the deal my friends? Fluff changes? Rule changes to orient the army differently?

I guess it mostly feels like they could not decide how they wanted Tau to play, so they just made them play like lower model count guard, just a pile of firewarriors and firesupport units mostly sitting static. This is not strictly awful, but if people complained playing as/against tau was boring before this is not fixing that.

There are also a set of issues which are super strange, like some of the most iconic units are straight up awful, crisis suits and railgun hammerheads. Plus there is a bunch of weird skornegy amongst units, stratagems and sept traits, stuff like the sept trait which requires standing still is the only one with a movement base stratagem.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

SteelMentor posted:

Really hope they're not replacing the current box, it's not a bad one while this one is... not great with the current rules for Wyches.

Deified Data posted:

Unlike a lot of start collecting boxes I'd say this one is awful for starting an army but decent for supplementing one, which was probably its intention.

Sadly looks like it is indeed replacing it. It appears to have been expunged.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Duct Tape posted:

Finished up my 6th mini, absolutely loved how he turned out.

But how do I attach this guy to his base? Right now he's just resting on it, and I'm a bit lost. Should I scrape some texture paint off and try to superglue, or should I greenstuff/pin him to the base?

You're killing it with these! Awesome job, I can't wait to see more of your stuff.

I would scrap texture paint off both his feet and where you want to stick him on the base, and use plastic cement. That should give a really strong bond without needing pins. Super glue is good if you actually want to be able to snap him off later for some reason (rebasing.)

Also you should post in the miniatures painting thread too! Most people cross post and I think your questions might get answered faster there.

BurlapNapkin
Feb 11, 2013

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Cool thanks for the response. What are BOS?

And the main problem is that there are a few units that are actually good in the 40k meta so most armies will gravitate to those?

Sorry weird slang I guess. A Non-Combo, a pair of rules that instead of synergising or interacting in any way, do not. In the case of Tau, we have a lot of duplicate effects. So it's not so much that one rule cancels another (a common use of the term 'nonbo'), but more that you just have no reason to use both a marker light and storm of fire.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

No, that was more a throwaway joke about how the people most hurt by the Commander change were the ones fielding almost exclusively those, similar to how all Tau competitive Tau lists in 7th Edition used the "triptide" formation of 3 Riptides and generally had more in addition to the formation plus a few spare suits and drones to fill requirements. They've actually fixed up Riptides quite a bit and made the army pretty decent, Crisus Suits and tanks aside (:smith:). Properly supported Fire Warriors are good now, which is a nice thing to see.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Does anyone here in the US have a store with Gangs of Commoragh still in stock? I'm trying to find one and would pay shipping plus a few bucks for your trouble if you see one anywhere.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
About basing sizes,

is the rule they have to be on the size provided with the model? Or could I say, put a Lord of Contagion on a 40mm instead of the 50mm it comes with?

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

goodness posted:

About basing sizes,

is the rule they have to be on the size provided with the model? Or could I say, put a Lord of Contagion on a 40mm instead of the 50mm it comes with?

I've always played with "if it came that way it's cool" but I'm not sure of the official stance. I know if you put most models on smaller bases than what they come with people might consider it modelling for advantage.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

As someone who is just slowly getting back I am super stoked to see Dark Eldar stuff again. Is it just a 8e rules update or will there be new models or is it too early to ask for any of that stuff?

I got my "serious" start in 5e with Dark eldar so a lot of my fond memories are with them and venom spam, abusing flickerfield saves, and with kabalite warriors everywhere.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Reynold posted:

I've always played with "if it came that way it's cool" but I'm not sure of the official stance. I know if you put most models on smaller bases than what they come with people might consider it modelling for advantage.

It just seems weird that he is on a 50mm, if anything wouldn't that be better to extend aura? I was thinking it should match other terminator armor models

e: And is proxying the Lord of Contagion as a Chaos Lord in Term Armor acceptable in official tournaments? I would expect 3rd party miniatures to be banned but it seems like a toss up on proxies.

goodness fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Mar 26, 2018

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Evil Canadian posted:

As someone who is just slowly getting back I am super stoked to see Dark Eldar stuff again. Is it just a 8e rules update or will there be new models or is it too early to ask for any of that stuff?

I got my "serious" start in 5e with Dark eldar so a lot of my fond memories are with them and venom spam, abusing flickerfield saves, and with kabalite warriors everywhere.

Just a rules update, maybe with some kinda variant of an existing plastic kit if they can fumble one together.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dark Eldar don't have a big gently caress off robot yet. Not that i'd want to see that but i can see them trying to shoehorn one in. If they ever did, i think a giant Talos/Chronus thing would be pretty cool.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Duct Tape posted:

Finished up my 6th mini, absolutely loved how he turned out.

But how do I attach this guy to his base? Right now he's just resting on it, and I'm a bit lost. Should I scrape some texture paint off and try to superglue, or should I greenstuff/pin him to the base?

This looks great! Love the fluid jars. Yeah, scrape off some texture and use plastic glue. There’s one connection point on the bottom that’s a little double piece. I use that and the cane.

Slapped together the Armigers tonight and got one painted. Waiting for the texture to dry to finish the base, and still gotta apply transfers.

Don’t ever talk to me or my son again.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

BurlapNapkin posted:

I think wargear selection and model customization are awesome in 8th, and Tau have a lot more modularity than most factions. Unfortunately weapon options are not very balanced, and support systems don't really provide units with new role options.

We got an even more amazingly broken (for Tau) HQ option, but no improvement or customization options were added for the more mundane HQ choices. For such a cooperatively themed army, our leader buffs are still very weak and/or limited.

I like a lot of the strategems flavor wise, and they're interesting enough to compete with eachother. So that wasn't all bad. Generally CP for CP you're going to get a lot weaker effects than other codex armies, but this is fine and I'm just happy there's lots of decent options.

This would be about right. The list is perfectly reasonable in terms of power but they picked the coward's option of limiting Commanders to 1 per detachment without fixing the xv8 in the elite slot, markerlights are just a little weird, kroot don't seem to have a lot of support, some wargear prices are a little weird when you move the Riptide sized suits and the Stealth Suits, etc. There's also some issues with weapon diversity. Ion weapons are best in slot wherever they show up, from hammerheads (Railheads are worthless) to suits to pathfinders.

The one thing that really demonstrates the Tau problem to me is their plasma rifle. Originally, plasma didn't have different profiles. All plasma would overheat on a 1. Tau got around this by having plasma at -1 strength but it would never backfire. I didn't play for a bit but at some point everyone got plasma with two profiles. One that was safe and a risky version in case you needed the extra power. Tau never got that, so now they just have lovely plasma. Bump their plasma up to 24" Rapid Fire 1 S7 AP-3 D2 with no overheat and they're back up to "this is a cool toy Tau get" and people would probably take it.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Zuul the Cat posted:

This looks great! Love the fluid jars. Yeah, scrape off some texture and use plastic glue. There’s one connection point on the bottom that’s a little double piece. I use that and the cane.

Slapped together the Armigers tonight and got one painted. Waiting for the texture to dry to finish the base, and still gotta apply transfers.

Looking good, and the exact same scheme I did other than unfortunately after being immensely proud of how I'd airbrushed the shoulder pads, I realised I'd done them so that one has white half at front and the other has black at the front.

Im telling myself that this is purposeful to show that Armigers are junior household members.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
My only experience with Tau is the version they launched as so I don't comprehend all the changes and new units.

I mostly remember them for the "rear end in a top hat bunny hopping" jump suits and the "don't even bother trying to shoot me" stealth suits.

I was using World Eaters back then though :v:

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Zuul the Cat posted:

Love these. Looks great next to the big Knight.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Xenomrph posted:

Protip: always know where the tip of your brush is if you’re going to keep your brush in your hand while you pick up other stuff.

:negative:

Patch job came out alright

Also the blue is starting to come together.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Adepticon #3 down. Best one yet, if you didn’t come and had the opportunity you’re missing out.

Will try to get a comprehensive post with quite a few pictures, but highlights include winning Zone Mortalis, getting to play on the WarhammerTV and singing after hours with The Sex Cannon while chatting with Duncan Rhodes.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Crosspostin'

adamantium|wang posted:

Finished the Demolisher.

Realised after I packed everything away I hadn't shot the lead Russ but here's a bodgy shot of the squadron. May revisit them with isopropyl alcohol and powder later but they're done for now.

Also stuck a couple of older guardsmen on test bases, they're simple to do and are growing on me.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Sick. How close are you to finishing the army?

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
I've got a good way to go sadly. Can salvage about 35 painted infantry out of ~70 but they all need to be rebased. The Sentinel pair are good and after these 3 Russ I have a Command Executioner and Hydra to do plus build a Hellhound and salvage a very old metal Griffon that I refuse to exclude from the army.

And that's all if this month's FAQ doesn't raise all my points costs again.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

drat, those are fine.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Those are some righteous tanks, goddamn.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Might as well ask in here too.

Groetgaffel posted:

So I'm painting Celestine with white armour and purple cloth.

I'm not sure what colour to paint the birds in. Any suggestions?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Groetgaffel posted:

Might as well ask in here too.

I dunno, doves are pretty iconic from both the religious and John Woo aspect of things. If you want an offsetting color, a yellow would work. You could also paint them like little baby phoenixes (pheonii?) which would look nice and have a pretty obvious link to Celestine.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

PierreTheMime posted:

I dunno, doves are pretty iconic from both the religious and John Woo aspect of things. If you want an offsetting color, a yellow would work. You could also paint them like little baby phoenixes (pheonii?) which would look nice and have a pretty obvious link to Celestine.

Phoenixes sounds good, think I'll give that a shot.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Custom ancients painted, pretty pleased with how he turned out.

Uroboros posted:

Adepticon #3 down. Best one yet, if you didn’t come and had the opportunity you’re missing out.

Will try to get a comprehensive post with quite a few pictures, but highlights include winning Zone Mortalis, getting to play on the WarhammerTV and singing after hours with The Sex Cannon while chatting with Duncan Rhodes.
Well I know I'll have to stay up 'til fuckass o'clock in the morning to get tickets next year, hopefully I'll have better luck.

Also some wretched bastard managed to ship glitter with one of my ebay purchases so now I have that to be wary of in my painting area.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

adamantium|wang posted:

I've got a good way to go sadly. Can salvage about 35 painted infantry out of ~70 but they all need to be rebased. The Sentinel pair are good and after these 3 Russ I have a Command Executioner and Hydra to do plus build a Hellhound and salvage a very old metal Griffon that I refuse to exclude from the army.

And that's all if this month's FAQ doesn't raise all my points costs again.

Ah man you've been posting these awesome tanks for ages now, I figured you were nearly there. I'm looking forward to seeing it all as a group.

And yeah, this FAQ is making me sweat a little since I've just about figured out what I'm taking to London GT in May (subject to testing) and then it's probably gonna all get hosed up again.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Artum posted:

Also some wretched bastard managed to ship glitter with one of my ebay purchases so now I have that to be wary of in my painting area.

Embrace the sparklemarines.

Make blood angels :v:

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/03/26/codex-drukhai-preview-assembling-your-raiding-party/

This looks cool. DE get bonus CP for taking Patrol detachments, and can take multiple warlord traits to represent lots of sub-factions banding together.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Neurolimal posted:

Embrace the sparklemarines.

Make blood angels :v:

MODS

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

xtothez posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/03/26/codex-drukhai-preview-assembling-your-raiding-party/

This looks cool. DE get bonus CP for taking Patrol detachments, and can take multiple warlord traits to represent lots of sub-factions banding together.

Yeah, getting four CP for taking three patrols is pretty good. Also, if you have an Archon, Succubus and a Haemonculus, you can spend a CP to give them all a warlord trait.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

xtothez posted:

This is a really creative approach. Tau seems to have been a bit of a stumble but Necrons look great and this is a good sign for DE.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

xtothez posted:

This is pretty cool, but I wonder how they'll marry it up with the standard 3 detachments that most people use.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

To add to what's been already said, it's also being released after a long string of really good and interesting codex's, so it's a little disappointing when it doesn't really shake anything up for anyone not using Farsight. It also doesn't really do too much for alternate styles (both visual and play), since they seemed focused on essentially robots-fire warriors-farsight and then a Kroot-friendly sept that feels really half-baked.

Personally, after all the fanservice-tastic codii I was kind of hoping for more on the Tau alliance races (vespid, kroot, gue'vessa). All this said it's not bad by any means, it just pales in comparison to the Necron codex being worked on alongside it; significant fluff difference between "alright well B'eg Buassa can use two swords now" and "guess what? teleporting gold necrons. Get your leaf paint out motherfuckers".

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Mar 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
The Dark Eldar stuff seems cool but what's really got me interested is that we're finally seeing our FAQ some time this week. It's going to be really interesting seeing how things shake out because I'm guessing we'll see some major nerfs to a lot of the stuff the I've seen people complaining about in here