Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Sort of, but under that you've got stuff like Marge teaching Lisa to repress her emotions, Homer teaching Bart to fight dirty and never try at life, and Homer attempting suicide in like the second or third episode.

That’s as may be, but what they rallied around was Bart going “underachiever, and proud of it, man”, like that was a thing the show was promoting.

It was a hilariously shallow reading they went for is what I’m saying.

E: also he said hell and drat

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Mar 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Data Graham posted:

That’s as may be, but what they rallied around was Bart going “underachiever, and proud of it, man”, like that was a thing the show was promoting.

It was a hilariously shallow reading they went for is what I’m saying.

E: also he said hell and drat

It just struck me how surreal it is that I personally lived through an era where a television show was controversial because it featured a child being disrespectful to his parents. I feel like I was born in the 40's.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i remember having several friends whose parents explicitly forbade them from watching it, even at a friend's house. I remember one day being at one such friend's house and a fuckin' commercial for the show came on and his mom started yelling from across the house until we explained "no it's just a commercial"

This would have been up through the mid-90s.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Data Graham posted:

And now we're in the era when South Park is passé and establishment

South Park is the most status quo poo poo on TV. It's loving boring now.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Sort of, but under that you've got stuff like Marge teaching Lisa to repress her emotions, Homer teaching Bart to fight dirty and never try at life, and Homer attempting suicide in like the second or third episode.

I think it was balanced out by stories that had quite a strong moral centre. I mean, there's an episode where Lisa is so guilty about stealing cable she has visions of hell. Bart sells his soul and it shows the torment he goes through, and even Homer being photographed with a belly dancer was seen as something scandalous that he had to learn from.

The Homer suicide, yeah that was a weird one. Whenever I re-watch I find the tone of that episode really strange.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLp9frMVbyY

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Drink-Mix Man posted:

It just struck me how surreal it is that I personally lived through an era where a television show was controversial because it featured a child being disrespectful to his parents. I feel like I was born in the 40's.

I still remember watching a rerun of the Homer Badman episode at my grandparents house and my grandma was loving appalled at the scene when his robe was blown and you saw his butt briefly.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

explosivo posted:

I still remember watching a rerun of the Homer Badman episode at my grandparents house and my grandma was loving appalled at the scene when his robe was blown and you saw his butt briefly.

Did she live through the part where he sleeps nude in an oxygen tent that gives him sexual powers?

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!
WARNING: DRAMATIZATION, MAY NOT HAVE HAPPENED

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I remember a friend's mom didn't like that Bart called Homer by his name instead of dad. The 90s were so quaint.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

My parents used to record every episode of the simpsons then watch it before me or my older brother were allowed to watch it (I was 6, he was 11).

they stopped after four episodes when they realised the controversy was stupid manufactured outrage about literally nothing

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i watched the simpsons all the time as a kid, but for some reason my mom didn't want me watching king of the hill. eventually i asked her about it and she couldn't remember why. two years of my young life without great comedy.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

i watched the simpsons all the time as a kid, but for some reason my mom didn't want me watching king of the hill. eventually i asked her about it and she couldn't remember why. two years of my young life without great comedy.

They advertised it as "From the creator of Beavis and Butthead" which is how it got banned by my parents.... until they actually saw it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I grew up in California with pretty laid-back parents. When I was 14, we had a family vacation to the East Coast where for whatever reason they sent me and my younger brother ahead to stay with our super-religious aunt and uncle and their huge family in Ohio for a few days before we all caravanned out to the East in their RV to meet up with my folks.

We were in the well-established family habit by that point of watching the Simpsons, so when it came on that week as usual we suggested watching it, and of course the relatives would have none of such blasphemy in their house. I decided to plead its merits and explain how the controversial stuff was overblown and it really wasn't bad at all and especially wasn't objectionable on religious grounds. Finally they relented and we all sat down to watch it together:

"Homer the Heretic" :hmbol:

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Data Graham posted:

I grew up in California with pretty laid-back parents. When I was 14, we had a family vacation to the East Coast where for whatever reason they sent me and my younger brother ahead to stay with our super-religious aunt and uncle and their huge family in Ohio for a few days before we all caravanned out to the East in their RV to meet up with my folks.

We were in the well-established family habit by that point of watching the Simpsons, so when it came on that week as usual we suggested watching it, and of course the relatives would have none of such blasphemy in their house. I decided to plead its merits and explain how the controversial stuff was overblown and it really wasn't bad at all and especially wasn't objectionable on religious grounds. Finally they relented and we all sat down to watch it together:

"Homer the Heretic" :hmbol:

that episode literally states that god is real and prayer works but also there other religions and they are good people but their gods are lies

surely fundie morons would love that poo poo?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Quote-Unquote posted:

that episode literally states that god is real and prayer works but also there other religions and they are good people but their gods are lies

surely fundie morons would love that poo poo?

Yeah but try watching it live when you don't know how it's going to turn out.

"OMG this show is depicting Homer rejecting the church and having a great time, turnitoffturnitoffturnitoff"

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Data Graham posted:

Yeah but try watching it live when you don't know how it's going to turn out.

"OMG this show is depicting Homer rejecting the church and having a great time, turnitoffturnitoffturnitoff"

okay fair enough

I really like that episode. There's the "god is real" stuff when the fire spreads to Flanders' house but overall the message is "who gives a poo poo what you do/don't believe in just help out your community and trust in your friends and neighbours"

And now I type that out I realise why fundies would find it so offensive. it's literally the message of Jesus, which must be rejected by all good Christians at all costs.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Peter Daou Bundy posted:

I wonder when the absolute cut off point is where you'd be hard pressed to even find one thing funny at all about an episode is.

I remember the exact moment I saw one of these, but I forget the episode (imagine that). It was when I was a junior in high school or something. And I remember it was the moment I suddenly became aware I was still watching, but I didn't laugh at all the entire episode. And it had been like that for a while. I just watched them out of habit.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Quote-Unquote posted:

okay fair enough

I really like that episode. There's the "god is real" stuff when the fire spreads to Flanders' house but overall the message is "who gives a poo poo what you do/don't believe in just help out your community and trust in your friends and neighbours"

And now I type that out I realise why fundies would find it so offensive. it's literally the message of Jesus, which must be rejected by all good Christians at all costs.

Yeah. I don't know if we even successfully finished the episode that night. They were giving us the side-eye for days after.

My extended family was full of people who were bad at watching the Simpsons in general. I finally convinced my puttin-on-airs New Yorker grandma that it wasn't just a goofball kids' cartoon and sat her down to watch "Last Exit to Springfield" when it aired live. She only paid vague attention to it, and finally at "And that's the tooth" she broke into patronizing applause and said "good show, good show" which drowned out the "Oops, I left the gas on" stinger which changes it from "ridiculously dumb hackneyed pun laugh-to-credits ending" to "clever winking subversion twist ending", and of course she was already standing up to leave and missed the whole thing :cripes:

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

DeadButDelicious posted:

The NASA episode has some of the best gags of that season for certain.

"Second comes right after first!"

"...Homer, you already dialed the phone."

Someone loving explain to me why Dan Castellaneta pronounces NASA like Nassau

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

GoutPatrol posted:

Someone loving explain to me why Dan Castellaneta pronounces NASA like Nassau

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
i think the first episode of the simpsons that made me realize that new simpsons wasn't the must-see event that it was in the past was the episode with joe strummer

the only thing i remember about the episode with joe strummer was that joe strummer was in it :geno:

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

My mom let me watch the simpsons for the first time around three or four years old? she saw no problem with it but i was frequently being put to bed by the time it came on so it was rare i would watch it regularly until i was older. but i loved bart, i had a bart simpson doll for a real long time just because it was bart

by the time i could watch the simpsons, it was the bart joins a boy band era of the simpsons, and that was already at a point where i vastly preferred watching the UPN reruns over actually watching a new episode.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I miss King of the Hill but it makes me happy it never got bad. Even the worst episodes were still decent.:unsmith:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SeANMcBAY posted:

I miss King of the Hill but it makes me happy it never got bad. Even the worst episodes were still decent.:unsmith:

They're talking about a revival, probably aging the characters too.

http://y105music.com/king-of-the-hill-revival-time-jump-mike-judge/

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

PostNouveau posted:

They're talking about a revival, probably aging the characters too.

http://y105music.com/king-of-the-hill-revival-time-jump-mike-judge/

hrrrrrgghhhhh I have mixed feelings about this, gently caress

I mean it was the best show ever but leave it the gently caress alone this never works well

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Code Jockey posted:

hrrrrrgghhhhh I have mixed feelings about this, gently caress

I mean it was the best show ever but leave it the gently caress alone this never works well

I dunno, maybe Mike Judge will have a big hand in it. He usually puts out good stuff. I sure could go for more King of the Hill.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Christ, all you people who were banned from watching the loving Simpsons as kids, you must have been in America, right? I'm sure there was no outrage over it in the UK. There was no outrage over drat South Park, in fact I remember them hyping it up in the morning on early morning family show The Big Breakfast ahead of its premier.

A Haunted Pug
Aug 10, 2007

Here in Spain it was first broadcast at almost midnight and it was very heavily advertised as "a cartoon... for adults!!!" so of course a lot of parents were a bit concerned. I remember my sister and I watched a couple of episodes without them knowing, but we were allowed to watch with our parents soon enough.

It is pretty funny how everyone's perception of the show changed, actually: The Simpsons here went from "only on Thursdays at like almost midnight" to "everyday at lunch, usually two episodes in a row" in just a few years. I think by the time the second season hit everyone watched so I don't remember much controversy other than the initial "for adults!!" one.

A Haunted Pug fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Mar 24, 2018

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Alan_Shore posted:

Christ, all you people who were banned from watching the loving Simpsons as kids, you must have been in America, right? I'm sure there was no outrage over it in the UK. There was no outrage over drat South Park, in fact I remember them hyping it up in the morning on early morning family show The Big Breakfast ahead of its premier.

You gotta remember The Simpsons came on the heels of the Satanic Panic in a predominantly Christian nation. Simpsons was downright political too, with then President George H. Bush publicly throwing it shade. That large Simpsons essay that gets posted here every few pages does a good job giving context about the state of the US culture at the time leading up to the Simpsons.

I'm glad my parents never liked The Simpsons. In fact, one of my earliest tv watching memories was watching Married With Children with them. But I do remember some friends who weren't as lucky.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Tbf I wouldn't really let a 6-year-old watch the Simpsons either, certainly not the first season. Or rather, I wouldn't expect the kid to want to watch it in the first place. In my specific case it was also that Bart the General deals with war in a very existentialist fashion, and Germans have some hang-ups about war for some reason.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Mendigo posted:

Here it was first broadcast at almost midnight and it was very heavily advertised as "a cartoon... for adults!!!" so of course a lot of parents were a bit concerned. I remember my sister and I watched a couple of episodes without them knowing, but we were allowed to watch with our parents soon enough.

It is pretty funny how everyone's perception of the show changed, actually: The Simpsons here went from "only on Thursdays at like almost midnight" to "everyday at lunch, usually two episodes in a row" in just a few years. I think by the time the second season hit everyone watched so I don't remember much controversy other than the initial "for adults!!" one.

Where is "here"?

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

Smirr posted:

Tbf I wouldn't really let a 6-year-old watch the Simpsons either, certainly not the first season. Or rather, I wouldn't expect the kid to want to watch it in the first place. In my specific case it was also that Bart the General deals with war in a very existentialist fashion, and Germans have some hang-ups about war for some reason.

"We were just following orders!"

A Haunted Pug
Aug 10, 2007

Data Graham posted:

Where is "here"?
Whoops, sorry! "here" is Spain. Edited the original post.

Funny thing with our dub, Homer's original Spanish voice actor died by the end of season 11. Season 12 starts and not only the episodes are clearly worse, we also got a very different voice actor that... well, I guess he tries his best but he's nowhere near as funny as the other guy. I think between that and the drop in quality I started to lose interest in the show by then.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

PostNouveau posted:

I dunno, maybe Mike Judge will have a big hand in it. He usually puts out good stuff. I sure could go for more King of the Hill.

Yeah, he brought back Beavis and Butthead and that turned out okay.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
silicon valley sucks now and it's mike judge's fault

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

SEX BURRITO posted:

They did do one where Homer’s car broke down so he got a loaner car which had loads of cooool features and there were jokes about the crappiness of digital radio and I have literally forgotten the rest of the episode.

Driver of a loaner car ...
Much better than a
Driver of my normal car

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

To the tune of owner of a lonely heart?

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
the fact that everyone thinks The Simpsons is tame now is proof that they really did cause the moral decay of our nation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Data Graham posted:

Lot of people seem to reach their 30s and suddenly go "Hey, my parents never let me watch the Simpsons, time to find out what I've been missing"

I keep seeing this, what the gently caress, how do so many people have Taliban parents