Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Roberts said that LL22 is the last one (or season finale in his words).

Does make me wonder if giving the comic license to marvel will open it up to cross overs again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Rhyno posted:

Without Andy Lanning Dan Abnett is a mediocre writer at best.
His prose for GW is a totally different beast to his comics work. If you aren't already aware of it I'd highly suggest checking out the first Eisenhorn book at least, although for me the Ghosts will always have a place in my heart.

Rhyno posted:

Let's hope this isn't true.
Yeah, the Star Wars stuff has been of wildy variable quality.

Like "contradicting the movies in the first issue" variable...

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

the worst TF comic is still Micromasters

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

Rhyno posted:

Well then

Let's hope this isn't true.

That would be a very strange move if true. The data/collaboration pipeline between the companies is well established and everyone involved knows the expectations in play on both sides, and companies really don't like having to start that kind of infrastructure and rapport over again if they don't have to. As far as has been said publicly IDW and Hasbro are both happy with the results of the relationship (IDW's designs and ideas drove the collector-side half of the retail brand for a couple of years, even), so scrapping that whole relationship makes zero sense. I would expect IDW will be involved in the redirection that will accompany the new era of Hasbro films. If Hasbro wants to start over from scratch with Marvel I can't imagine what they're thinking. Surely they're not daft enough to believe that could be a backdoor into the MCU.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

And yet I have the horrible feeling you cracked the case

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I fear that Hasbro might be trying to sell out to Disney as well, but hopefully it'll be an unfounded one.

Disney owns too much as it stands.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Roberts just tweeted that TF and IDW are not done after the Unicron stuff.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They wouldn't be angling to get into the MCU unless Disney was buying Hasbro.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Rhyno posted:

are they doing that?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nodosaur posted:

are they doing that?

We'd know about that by now. They were rumored to be looking at buying Hasbro like five years ago but the Takara/Hasbro relationship made them unappealing or something.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Even if Disney bought Hasbro, it wouldn't put any of Hasbro's stuff under the auspices of Marvel Studios. At best they could hope to benefit from picking Kevin Feige's brain for advice, and that isn't a good enough reason to jettison a 15 year corporate relationship that has been very beneficial. I will be shocked if they pull the license from IDW.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Another reason to doubt it, Marvel/Disney and IDW have a very good relationship. IDW is handling the bulk of the classic Disney comics as well as the all ages Star Wars book and if rumors are to be believed they will be producing a new line of all ages books staring Marvel characters beginning this fall.

With Roberts tweets I'm wondering if they're going to try a Hasbro Universe again but from the ground up this time.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Rhyno posted:

We'd know about that by now. They were rumored to be looking at buying Hasbro like five years ago but the Takara/Hasbro relationship made them unappealing or something.

The Kiss Players are hardly Disney Princess material.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I think it's more that Disney likes to have total control of things. That's one of the reasons why they eventually gave up on Power Rangers, they couldn't really keep control of the Sentai side.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It'd also be bitterly ironic if they DID buy out Hasbro at this point, considering Hasbro is very likely to be the owners of Power Rangers in the future.

And as Nod just implied, that was a whole fiasco before

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Eh, PR has always been in varying stages of troubled production.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
Bob Budiansky is savage. He does not give a poo poo about Transformers. It was just a job for him. And a lovely one at that.

Watching him break people's hearts when they ask about specific lore or why he did X and Y is priceless. Best con experience of all time.

Kenzo
Jun 29, 2004

Tekseta!
Has there ever been a good third party Unicron figure?

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

TheDK posted:

Bob Budiansky is savage. He does not give a poo poo about Transformers. It was just a job for him. And a lovely one at that.

Watching him break people's hearts when they ask about specific lore or why he did X and Y is priceless. Best con experience of all time.

Still really wish he'd do some kind of collection of his notes but I doubt he would. It was definitely fun to watch though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He probably didn't keep anything once the gig was over.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Rikimaru posted:

Has there ever been a good third party Unicron figure?

As far as I’m aware, we’ve not had any yet. A company called Garatron was going to do the cancelled BW Neo one, but that was in 2016 and...

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rhyno posted:

With Roberts tweets I'm wondering if they're going to try a Hasbro Universe again but from the ground up this time.

They're doing that with the movies (GI Joe, Micronauts and Transformers are all getting rebooted for a shared universe) so it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility that they're doing that with the comics.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Timby posted:

They're doing that with the movies (GI Joe, Micronauts and Transformers are all getting rebooted for a shared universe) so it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility that they're doing that with the comics.

I think at this point the only real loss is going to be Thundercracker.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'm gonna miss the war being over and all the space adventures. If they start another continuity, especially if they want to make it into a hasbro shared universe, the first thing they're going to do is redo the whole war on earth story. And honestly, the immortal war feels really tedious to me these days, and I really enjoyed IDW ending it and giving the Decepticons more depth than just conquest for the sake of conquest.

At least the deaths will be undone.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I saw PotP leaders Rodimus and Optimus at John Lewis in Brent Cross today. £46 each which is ok by UK standards.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Rhyno posted:

I think at this point the only real loss is going to be Thundercracker.

There is no universe in which I can let this stand

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

Rhyno posted:

He probably didn't keep anything once the gig was over.

Nah, he had slides of some of them and was talking how he just had a file cabinet or one of those document things filled with his old notes from it iirc.

If things do get rebooted yea, I'm going to miss the little roads the Cons have gone down like Soundwave and Thundercracker. GI Joe Skywarp is definitely a trip though haha.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
The G1 comics suck rear end. Transformers is a beloved franchise but its not because of those comics. Its because of the toys, cartoon show and especially the 86 movie.

Now the old G.I. Joe comics kicked rear end and are considered the "definitive" Joe stories, but Larry Hama actually liked writing G.I. Joe, is a good writer and a veteran so it was up his alley.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

A video of Studio Series Blackout.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAZ3Ls6Wg44

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Big boy!

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

For moment there I thought I was watching a Jobby video.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Somebody find me a SS T-Cracker plz.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

The MSJ posted:

For moment there I thought I was watching a Jobby video.

Not enough pandering to the Alt-Right to be a Jobby vid.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Gammatron 64 posted:

The G1 comics suck rear end. Transformers is a beloved franchise but its not because of those comics. Its because of the toys, cartoon show and especially the 86 movie.

Now the old G.I. Joe comics kicked rear end and are considered the "definitive" Joe stories, but Larry Hama actually liked writing G.I. Joe, is a good writer and a veteran so it was up his alley.

Most of the TF lore worth anything later on came from the comics, though, so I wouldn't dismiss them that strongly. It's not like the cartoon was much better.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Also, reading is FUNdamental. :v:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Lots of new pictures of POTP Predaking: https://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/high-quality-images-of-power-of-the-primes-predaking-and-predacons/40960/

It appears that half of Divebomb, not just the wings, combine with Razorclaw to form Predaking's torso.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
divebomb about to drop his debut album

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
That Blackout looks ace, though perhaps the tabs that hold the shoulders in place could do with being longer or something.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Keldroc posted:

Most of the TF lore worth anything later on came from the comics, though, so I wouldn't dismiss them that strongly. It's not like the cartoon was much better.

The cartoon was dumb but fun. A lot of later comics such as Dreamwave and IDW took inspiration from the old Marvel Comics because... well... they're comics.

Beast Wars is a little weird because it seems to have elements from both the G1 comic and cartoon and it's not entirely written in stone which one it is a sequel to. I guess its a sequel to whichever one you want it to be.

Its also worth noting that I personally like the cartoon more because I was introduced to Transformers at a very young age and they didn't teach me how to read before 1st grade. I didn't discover the comic until I found back issues in a comic book shop in the mid to late 90s. I didn't know it even existed before then. We never had the Internet before '97 or '98. I was still a kid in the late '90s and early 2000's and I still loved Transformers, but to me, the comics were just kind of grim and not great. It didn't help that I was reading the Budiansky comics and not the Simon Furman ones that people actually like. The Bob Budiansky comics loving suuuuck.

My first memories of the Internet was going on AOL Online and seeing there was a Marvel website around '97. "Woah, they have a Spider-man comic I can read online? This is amazing!" I thought. Then I went there, it took 20 minutes to load a single page and I was like "actually the Internet kind of sucks." Then I found websites with lots of Mega Man sprites on them.

I also heard about all these legendary Japanese Transformers cartoons and toys we never got and it wasn't until I actually saw them many years later that I learned those cartoons actually sucked lol. That said because of that, Star Saber was always a holy grail for me for many years, and I finally got one last year so that's cool.

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Mar 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

The MSJ posted:

Lots of new pictures of POTP Predaking: https://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/high-quality-images-of-power-of-the-primes-predaking-and-predacons/40960/

It appears that half of Divebomb, not just the wings, combine with Razorclaw to form Predaking's torso.

Every time I see those godawful upper legs just hanging off those robots I want Feral Rex more.

I don't even like Predaking