Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Excels posted:

i've just started trails in the sky chapter 1, any hot tips on the best sepith to hoard or any op abilities?

Aerial is relatively easy to get and is an immensely useful attack craft since its area of effect can be set, rather than be centered on an enemy. This means that it can often hit all the enemies, which is great for your spellcasters. Also, Action is pretty essential on everyone. Cast is also essential on your spellcasters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Mokinokaro posted:

I don't think Jaheira and Eb are actually supposed to be that old. They're adults but I never saw them as being more than 30 at most.

Eb is definitely older than 30; she got married 21 years before the game started and had three adult children.

Jaheira is a half-elf so she is probably older than 30, but also it matters a little less.

Prism fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Mar 25, 2018

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Andrast posted:

JRPGs always have the really cool older party member though.

and by older I mean like 25

DQ7 had Melvin (the previous Hero)

FF12 had Basch who is like 37

Kild fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Mar 25, 2018

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I want to carry on with the story in Ni no Kuni 2, really, but instead I have to keep checking back with my castle to see what I can build now..

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Prism posted:

Eb is definitely older than 30; she got married 21 years before the game started and had three adult children.

Jaheira is a half-elf so she is probably older than 30, but also it matters a little less.

D&D's elves were "I look 15 but I'm really 150" long before anime go in to it.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Andrast posted:

JRPGs always have the really cool older party member though.

and by older I mean like 25

Ziggy from Xenosaga is over a century old and tends to be pretty popular with people, even those who oteherwise hate the series.

He died when he was 30 and was made into a cyborg who's lived a hundred years since then.

Most of the playable cast are over 20, even if two of them don't really look it. (I have no idea howold chaos looks) Also one party member is a robot so no idea what that counts as. Jin was in his 30s IIRC.

Rico from Xenogears was in his 30s too but I'm one of the few people on Earth who cares about him so I guess he doesn't count. Citan is there too but, again, nobody likes him. (for far more justified reasons than Rico)

You're spot on with Savyna from Baten Kaitos 1, though. She was the coolest party member and was presented as very wise, all at the age of 25.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Excels posted:

i've just started trails in the sky chapter 1, any hot tips on the best sepith to hoard or any op abilities?

Aerial is a good spell for most of the game until you can reliably get White Gehenna on all your casters.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Ragnar McRyan and Torneko are both older than average.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

Ziggy from Xenosaga is over a century old and tends to be pretty popular with people, even those who oteherwise hate the series.

He died when he was 30 and was made into a cyborg who's lived a hundred years since then.

Most of the playable cast are over 20, even if two of them don't really look it. (I have no idea howold chaos looks) Also one party member is a robot so no idea what that counts as. Jin was in his 30s IIRC.

Rico from Xenogears was in his 30s too but I'm one of the few people on Earth who cares about him so I guess he doesn't count. Citan is there too but, again, nobody likes him. (for far more justified reasons than Rico)

You're spot on with Savyna from Baten Kaitos 1, though. She was the coolest party member and was presented as very wise, all at the age of 25.

unfortunately xenosaga is terrible

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

I want to carry on with the story in Ni no Kuni 2, really, but instead I have to keep checking back with my castle to see what I can build now..

the curse of idle kingdom building is also the reason i gave this game a chance

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Evil Fluffy posted:

D&D's elves were "I look 15 but I'm really 150" long before anime go in to it.

It's way less true for half-elves (they live about 160 years) but there's still pretty good odds she's in her forties or fifties.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zaggitz posted:

Aerial is a good spell for most of the game until you can reliably get White Gehenna on all your casters.

You can get Hell Gate as well for a general AOE spell.

Oh, and once yoy get into Chapter 1, go grind for Time, Space and Mirage sepith along the path to the Border Gate to the north.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I've been trying to talk myself out of NNK2 but it just looks fun. And colorful.

I have both PC and PS4, is one any better than the other?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Probably the PS4 version, pc players have been complaining about frame rate issue. AMD players in particular are saying they're capped at 20.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
On other hand, people have been using a difficulty mod to make the combat not a breeze.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Tae posted:

On other hand, people have been using a difficulty mod to make the combat not a breeze.

I've got a GeForce 660ti and 8GB of RAM, if there's already a solution to what I've read is the one glaring flaw in the game, I may just go with PC.

Edit: It looks like it requires a GeForce 750. I read a random Steam Review saying it was doing fine on their 660 but... it's a Steam review.

Now I'm worried. I suppose as long as I've played it less than 2 hours I can get a Steam refund but... ehhhh...

Saxophone fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Mar 26, 2018

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Jaheira is actually pretty young because her biography says she was either born during or a young child at the outset of the Tethyrian civil war which would make her early 20s. But they're also "old friends" of Gorion in the Harpers so I'm just going to say Bioware messed up.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Final Fantasy VII is good about ages, especially wrt the main twist of the game

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

al-azad posted:

Jaheira is actually pretty young because her biography says she was either born during or a young child at the outset of the Tethyrian civil war which would make her early 20s. But they're also "old friends" of Gorion in the Harpers so I'm just going to say Bioware messed up.

she's also a mother figure in the first game so naturally you can get your bone on with her a few weeks after her husband dies in the second.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The Xenoblade X characters are, with a couple exceptions, in their 20s minimum.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Roobanguy posted:

she's also a mother figure in the first game so naturally you can get your bone on with her a few weeks after her husband dies in the second.

It's better than her treatment in the book where Khalid is a total slime ball until he gets zombified and brained by the psychotic protagonist. Jaheira immediately enters bone zone.

Even as a young teen I felt dating Jaheira was wrong. Despite being neutral she's probably the most aggressive and confrontational character. She's Mass Effect 2 Garrus.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Roobanguy posted:

This is very off base

Jaheira's romance is infamous for being extremely slow burn, you ain't getting your bone on with her for months. :v:

...actually I don't think the Jaheira romance even has a fade to black implication of sex at any point come to think.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

al-azad posted:

It's better than her treatment in the book where Khalid is a total slime ball until he gets zombified and brained by the psychotic protagonist. Jaheira immediately enters bone zone.

Even as a young teen I felt dating Jaheira was wrong. Despite being neutral she's probably the most aggressive and confrontational character. She's Mass Effect 2 Garrus.

i would bone down w garrus but not with jaheira. she's a aunty-tier tita

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Don't forget Riki, who's in his 40's.

Zore posted:

Cass (Fallout: New Vegas)

The partner character? I always thought she was even younger than the Courier.

Also most Ghouls and robots are pretty drat old.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Kay Kessler posted:

Don't forget Riki, who's in his 40's.

The partner character? I always thought she was even younger than the Courier.

Also most Ghouls and robots are pretty drat old.

Cass is 37 based on her backstory and they were asking for women older than 35 :shrug:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Zore posted:

Cass is 37 based on her backstory and they were asking for women older than 35 :shrug:

Really? She doesn't seem it. I would've guessed late twenties.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Excels posted:

You can completely cheese any boss battle with the Earth Wall spell.
They kind of tried to balance it in the sequels, by increasing the mana cost....and then they give you a character that has the same ability as an S-Craft :v:

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Kild posted:

FF12 had Basch who is like 37

Well funnily enough, Basch was supposed to be the MC, but other staff told Yasumi Matsuno that people only liked young protagonists, and that's how Vaan was inserted into the story. (Matsuno later left the project, citing mental health concerns from stress.)

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Stexils posted:

unfortunately xenosaga is terrible

another one of those situations where, the scope the devs were aiming for FAR outclassed their budget and schedule... i mean it was meant to be SIX GAMES lmao

same thing happened with xenogears, where the entire second half of the story is compressed into a lengthy narration because they ran out of time.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Excels posted:

Well funnily enough, Basch was supposed to be the MC, but other staff told Yasumi Matsuno that people only liked young protagonists, and that's how Vaan was inserted into the story. (Matsuno later left the project, citing mental health concerns from stress.)

This gets trotted out a bunch but it's just an urban legend. Vaan was always part of the story, his was the first concept art created and shown off during the games announcement. If there's any truth to it it happened in the earliest stages of planning. Vaan still isn't really the main character, he's just the audience surrogate. People are just used to that role being also the protagonist.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

If anything, Ashe was the main character. :colbert:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, Van is essentially acting as Watson in a Holmes story. He's the viewpoint character and informs the audience about the world, but the story is about Sherlock Holmes ultimately.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Excels posted:

From a plot perspective, Vaan is good because he asks a lot of questions that everyone else in the party already know the answers to. I agree that Basch is an infinitely more interesting character and all around better pick for MC, but that would necessitate another more ignorant character (Vaan) to ask questions on the player's behalf.

That plus the dumb reasoning that all jrpg characters need to be like makes a perfect storm for Vaan's appearance and main charactering.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Vaan is a good enough character and provides a nice contrast with Ashe (with him surprisingly being the more mature one)

The sticking point for me is that his voice acting is garbage

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Excels posted:

another one of those situations where, the scope the devs were aiming for FAR outclassed their budget and schedule... i mean it was meant to be SIX GAMES lmao

same thing happened with xenogears, where the entire second half of the story is compressed into a lengthy narration because they ran out of time.

Yeah but Xenosaga 3 is also the craziest and best of the trilogy so my thoughts are conflicted.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Saxophone posted:

From a plot perspective, Vaan is good because he asks a lot of questions that everyone else in the party already know the answers to. I agree that Basch is an infinitely more interesting character and all around better pick for MC, but that would necessitate another more ignorant character (Vaan) to ask questions on the player's behalf.

Nah it wouldn't. Basch would have been in prison for years of massive political upheaval. Dude would have all the reason in the world to ask about stuff it'd just be framed as "What happened to X" instead of "WOAH what's X"

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I don't remember basch doing anything after the intro

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

lets hang out posted:

He had the subplot with his brother but other than that he's basically just the loyal knight of the deposed queen.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

lets hang out posted:

Hahaha.

For some reason I had Basch and Balthier mixed up.

Disregard.

Though Balthier game would be dope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

On ages in RPGs, I think FF6 might be one of the more reasonable examples... You had to dig through some supplemental material to find the characters ages, but Strago was old enough to have a granddaughter. Admittedly the one place it's acceptable to be an Old Person in an RPG is if you're a magical wizard man. I did appreciate in FF4 your old wizard dude was old enough that he just forgot a lot of the spells he used to know.

Those aside, though, Cyan is old enough to have a family (I think something lists him as 50 years old), Shadow is also old enough to have a daugher, and the Figaro twins are in their late 20s. Everybody else seems to be around 18 though, and Relm is the only one who is much younger, but there it makes sense.

You're welcome for that low-level spoiler on a twenty year old game