Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I'm still trying to figure out what my dwarf has been doing. He was listed as a recruit on introduction, so I assume he's training for combatto die gloriously for the fort :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Excerpts from the diary of So Math, Overseer of Valleysilences.

2 Slate 566

A scholar named Dakost Vabokiden has come to visit. Rather than join us in our library, she sits the face of the cliff above our main entrance and refuses to come inside, despite my warnings.

3 Slate 566

A bard named Crystalgate arrived today and asked to be an official performer, to which mayor A Bad Place aquiessed. Malachite Dragon tells me she is very entertaining.

The rangers who immigrated here last month have taken my advice about joining our fortess guard. They have dubbed their squad The Rough Toes. Their roster is:

Brother Buer
    burnaboy
    Captain Aardvark
    HardDiskD
    InwardChaos
    Vodkahead

This makes the Rough Toes our largest squad. I've asked Neddy Seagoon to join the Helmed Spears, making their roster

Commander Keene
    Enemy Input
    Neddy Seagoon
    neogeo0824

4 Slate 566

I saw LostCosmonaut and FatSamurai in our nondenominational temple mediating on death and murder, respectively. I think we all will be better served when the temple to Vesh Puzzlinglanced, the Jackal of Gorging is finished. In my dreams it is called the Unholy Chapel.

6 Slate 566

It was shield training day for the Helmed Spears. We have been fortunate enough not to need our guards for the past couple of weeks.

8 Slate 566

Construction of the Unholy Temple goes well. I also had the idea to build some longer term animal holding pens nearby. I'm sure A Bad Place is busy enough he won't notice I emptied the cage in his dining suite.

12 Slate 566

I overheard one of the travelling warriors asking PetraCore about one of the books in our library. Between this incident and the scholar who only sits outside, I suspect something's amiss. I later asked our scribe for the book in question.

What could be remarkable about this hamlet?

14 Slate 566

A stray cat holed up in the alcove by the stairs today. I'm told she gave birth to a healthy litter of kittens.

27 Slate 566

The first floor of the Unholy Chapel is complete enough to install iconography. Vesh Puzzlinglanced has rewarded me with a vision of a second floor. I have sketched the design for our miners.

The month is nearly over. I'll note that Dakost has done nothing all month but sit on the cliff face above Valleysilences and pretend to read a first aid manual. When I suggested a seminar with Dr. Pharnakes, Dakost insisted she is ready to leave.

I think we have been too lax with our "guests". Perhaps the answer will come to me in my dreams.

Yours alone,
So Math
Overseer

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I'm surprised that the visiting scholar survived out there.

Fumbles
Mar 22, 2013

Can I get a reroll?

Oh hey, I'm still alive and hauling corpses. Also apparently I'm a- dancer? That sounds like a very unusual and interesting existence.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Sweet, I am in the military! That's a first for me. Hopefully I'll battle gloriously, and die gloriously. :black101:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Given that I'm susceptible to disease, slow to heal, AND quick to tire, I expect to an ignominiously brutal end in the militia. :iit:

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

quote:

("finely designed")

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
Which squad is my dwarf on? Or is she on maternity leave?

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

biosterous posted:

("finely designed")

Is it bad that I can read all those letters after figuring out the C/H/W/K from context clues? :v:

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Eh, sometimes brains just hold on to not-that-useful information.

I knew those runes by heart in high school, and by the time I was halfway through writing "Puzzlinglanced" I'd mostly stopped looking at my guide.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

biosterous posted:

Eh, sometimes brains just hold on to not-that-useful information.

I knew those runes by heart in high school, and by the time I was halfway through writing "Puzzlinglanced" I'd mostly stopped looking at my guide.

When I was in my AP Psychology class, my teacher suddenly said "Horse dog cat sheep pig" and then said that our brains wouldn't retain this information as soon as we left the class unless we specifically focused on it. I think specifically to spite him, my brain has retained it 8 years later.

He was a dick.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

biosterous posted:

("finely designed")

Is “ebracing” an intentional typo

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

1 Felsite 566

In recognition of his service, DeceitfulPenguin has been made captain of the guard. His first act was to place the Helmed Spears on reserve while he takes administrative leave.

He has also requested accommodations comparable to A Bad Place's, which should not be hard to provide. There's ample space adjacent to the Unholy Chapel.

3 Felsite 566

We were blessed with another litter of kittens today. I should remember to have them neutered. Construction has begun on some new guest accommodations.

11 Felsite 566

An armored goblin has appeared on our cliff face. He carrys a dwarven tome in place of a weapon. Unlike the "scholar" from last month, he has decided to patronize our public tavern.

15 Felsite 566

Captain DeceitfulPenguin has requested to rotate our fortress guard. The Icy Portals have taken over the Large Metals' post at our doorstep. I instructed Balon, Frenzy The Killbot, Jamsque, Maugrim, and Megane to stop letting these shifty guests into our fortress.

20 Felsite 566

The finishing touches on the Unholy Chapel have been delayed while we break ground on other projects. At least the parable of Catten Daeubedcave is finished, and we've already been using the cleansing pool. I decided to install an aned for our worship services.

25 Felsite 566

Urist, the crab, was spotted resting its wounds underground in the volcanic sea, before scuttling off into the darkness again.

28 Felsite 566

We are now host to another pary of foreign nobles. Commander Megane reports that the group arrived in peace. It is not lost on me that their soldiers outnumber our posted guard.

It is frustrating, but the new accommodations are neither functional or believable. Despite my paranoia, we have not witnessed any open conflict this month. I have ended the Helmed Spears and the Large Metals leave time.

10 Hematite 566

Today, a conspiracy of undead ravens descends on Valleysilences from above. Our guards remain at the gate. I've brought the old butchery inside, adjacent the crematorium. We should be able to butcher livestock with our guards ready to put down their living hides. We could use the meat.

Meanwhile, idhrendur's pet ram is slowly starving to death. He refuses to put the poor animal down, or at least pen it with the others.

12 Hematite 566

The undead ravens still taunt us from the air. Despite this, the human caravan has arrived. They look happy to be out of the rain. Let's hope the merchants do not aggravate the ravens, and that they can keep control of their livestock.

I trust Gnoman to get us a good deal on cloth.

Yours alone,
So Math
Overseer

So Math fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Mar 24, 2018

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

So Math posted:

Meanwhile, idhrendur's pet ram is slowly starving to death. He refuses to put the poor animal down, or at least pen it with the others.

:smith:

Seriously, isn't there some mossy mud over by the farm area that was flooded and could be a pasture for this poor creature?

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

I expect my pet will cause trouble soon. This is true to life.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

A monstrous temple in the shape of a monstrous spider. Monstrous Vesh will be monsterously pleased.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

If you decide to geld the excess cats, make sure you do it indoors. Getting killed by zombie cat balls would be embarrassing.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

GeneX posted:

Is “ebracing” an intentional typo

Oops

Let's pretend it was definitely on purpose and not a goof at all :ssh:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
wait, which month is Malachite the equivalent of? I just noticed my dorf was born on the 25th of it. Mine is also on a 25th. That's a little creepy.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I think Malachite is the middle of summer, so July?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Mine's on June 25th...
:tinfoil:

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
We just got another migrant wave, so anyone who wants to be dwarfed (or redwarfed) post soonish.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Out of curiosity, do you still get a ghost if someone's corpse is zombified?

Fuubi
Jan 18, 2015

THUNDERDOME LOSER

So Math posted:

We just got another migrant wave, so anyone who wants to be dwarfed (or redwarfed) post soonish.

*Waves hand frantically in the air* Mememememememeee!

Edit: Same name, same occupation as before if possible.

Fuubi fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Mar 25, 2018

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Dwarf Me no preferences beyond that, unless the bookkeeper dies.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

It seems dorf-me is as boring as real me. Any chance I could get an update on what I'm up to? Probably engraving postcards to my four kids while waiting for the chapel to be finished or something.

turol
Jul 31, 2017
Looks like I've become a painter.

The instrument description looks randomly generated. Is it possible to get an elevenstring?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Hey, can I get a quick look-in on 'my' dwarf? I assume they're just puttering about brewing and maybe occasionally making things with gemstones but I don't know how miserable (and/or inured) they've gotten by now and I'd love to find out. Thanks!

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
That's one shameful forgotten beast to get its arm munched by crundles.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Find, dwarf me Cap'n

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I'd also like to know how my dorf is doing, given that last I heard he was severely injured :ohdear:

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
A sign placed within a plot worked by Ubbul "AJ_Impy" Iridoltar, for the protection of his crops.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

AJ_Impy posted:

A sign placed within a plot worked by Ubbul "AJ_Impy" Iridoltar, for the protection of his crops.

Needs a :corsair: pic of some kind.

ashnjack
Jun 8, 2010

FUCK FLOWERS. JUST...FUCK 'EM.
That I died the update after I migrated just means I’ll have more time to be reincarnated as a sacrifice mad acolyte stronger dwarf. Re-dwarf me please.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

14 Hematite 566

We are fully stocked on cloth and food. There was a special on pond turtle.

Gnoman also picked up interesting books for the library and a few new musical instruments.

15 Hematite 566

A four legged beast made of rock has been seen underground. Tunicate, our scholar, has identified the beast as Mishos Disuthmigrur, and warns me that its rocky body is immune to the heat of the volcano.

At this point, I half expect Mishos to keep to its own business underground, like Urist before it. But still, I cannot be complacent.

17 Hematatite 566

I have pastured the two hungriest goats on a patch of cave moss in a last ditch effort to keep them from starving. Very little moss grows in Valleysilences besides our doorstep and another small patch in the shooting range.

I haven't seen much moss growing in the cavern either, and I don't want to send a search party while Mishos is on the prowl.

20 Hematite 566

The guards are restless. Today I caught Vodkahead and InwardChaos hanging on to the cliff face above our entrance. Vodkahead told me "Our orders were to station on the overlook, so we stationed on the overlook. Burnaboy, HardDiskD, and Captain DeceifulPenguin got a good laugh out of it.

I asked theshim if this is the sort of behavior he expects when he leads the Helmed Spears. He laughed, and told me to check the calendar before resuming his training session.

21 Hematite 566

Urist Lurostuk and Mishos have been commiserating deep underground.

26 Hematite 566

My husband, The Lord of Hats, has finally made it to Valleysilences, leading a party of migrants. Since we filed to immigrate together, today is technically my first day of citizenship in Valleysilences. Gnoman says I could have the paperwork corrected, for a 75☼ processing fee, but it hardly matters at this point.

These are the other migrants: The Lord of Hats introduced me to Temaukel and Kennel, and their son Slaan. Kennel wishes for glory in battle, so I've had him added to the fortress guard.

A couple a little older than us, Guarstine and lamentable dustman. The Rough Toes immediately drafted Guarstine into their ranks.

Jamsque's daughter rabiddeity, and her husband Gideon020.

Gideon020's colleague Tiger Crazy is another young hand in the fishing industry.

Finally, we are joined by habituallyred, a wizened surgeon.

27 Hematite 566

We have successfully butchered a turkey without the carcass trying to assault the butcher. DivineCoffeeBinge says a droll task such as rendering turkey fat is preferable to looking up recipes for all those damned pond turtles.

28 Hematite 566
On my way to the Unholy Temple, I saw Dr. Tough get in a fight with a stray cat he was trying to geld. I joined Black Robe in worship today.

Although the construction is nearly finished, I have not received any more instructions from Vesh. Is my labor finished? I confess I have neglected Geshud, Atir, Tobul, and even Onol during these times.

I must meditate.

So Math fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 26, 2018

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

A large lake right next to the volcanic vent, eh? Does anybody else look at this and see "obsidian factory waiting to happen"

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Radio Free Kobold posted:

A large lake right next to the volcanic vent, eh? Does anybody else look at this and see "obsidian factory waiting to happen"

What good is obsidian anymore though? Obsidian swords used to be equal to steel which made it worthwhile if you found yourself without any iron, but now that weapons can break they are only good against unarmored opponents. Even copper armor beats obsidian swords. :( Hardly seems worth the trouble just so you can make furniture or crafts out of black rock.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Oh, really? That's a darn shame. Obsidian still makes for pretty good stonecrafts but we've probably got enough of that just from ambient deposits.

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

So Math posted:

These are the other migrants: The Lord of Hats introduced me to Temaukel and Kennel, and their son Slaan. Kennel wishes for glory in battle, so I've had him added to the fortress guard.

drat, my dwarf is a cutie. Also I like how my 1 year old son already has a beard and likes to drink cider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
My first act as Captain to take time off and then trolling my underlings?

Uncanny really