Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Thirding Ancestor's Tale is a great book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm getting tired of long form investigative true crime podcasts. I've listened to three of them and they were each like ten hours long and they all ended the same way

Serial: Did Adnan really kill Haemin? -> Yes, absolutely

Someone Must Know Something: This kid vanished near a lake. Authorities think he probably drowned, but could they have missed something? -> no he probably dorwned

Atlanta Monster: Is Wayne Williams really responsible for the Atlanta child murders? -> Maybe not all of them, but yeah.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Guy Goodbody posted:

Someone Must Know Something: This kid vanished near a lake. Authorities think he probably drowned, but could they have missed something? -> no he probably dorwned

I think this came after the season ended but they did end up finding some evidence that he had drowned, which isn’t amazing story wise but that search wouldn’t have happened if it weren’t for the podcast so that’s good for the family at least.

But yeah, I’m not listening to more unless I hear some amazing reviews.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Guy Goodbody posted:

I'm getting tired of long form investigative true crime podcasts. I've listened to three of them and they were each like ten hours long and they all ended the same way

poo poo town was kind of a cool inversion on that. There was a crime here and the authorities in town might be covering it up? Actually, there wasn't, but the guy who reported this lived a crazy life before he suddenly died so let's explore that instead. Besides that though, I've always found the idea of the genre somewhere between ghoulish and pointless.

Arrhythmia fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Mar 24, 2018

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
i really enjoyed the dirty john podcast but it wrapped up so neatly that it felt fictional

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015
Up and Vanished was good, and notable for the fact that after a bunch of podcasts investigating the mystery someone actually gets arrested for the crime and now it's following the trial. I stopped listening a few eps after the people got arrested though so I can't say how it fares after that.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

cosmically_cosmic posted:

Up and Vanished was good, and notable for the fact that after a bunch of podcasts investigating the mystery someone actually gets arrested for the crime and now it's following the trial. I stopped listening a few eps after the people got arrested though so I can't say how it fares after that.

Also notable because it's highly plausible that the actual killer only got outed because of the focus that the podcast brought back on the case, even if the host didn't technically solve it themselves.

That said, I tend to think shortform true crime works much better for podcasts. Casefile being my personal favourite.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Mar 24, 2018

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

Serial: Did Adnan really kill Haemin? -> Yes, absolutely

Atlanta Monster: Is Wayne Williams really responsible for the Atlanta child murders? -> Maybe not all of them, but yeah.

Check out A Very Fatal Murder. It’s a hilarious parody of that genre and pretty short.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Has anyone listened to Hardcore History Addendum yet?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Laterite posted:

Has anyone listened to Hardcore History Addendum yet?

The first episode where he talks about how the Nazis couldn't organize for poo poo is kind of neat (if very Dan), and the Mike Duncan episode is great. And then he did some episode with a general about tech and gently caress even bothering with that.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Rodyle posted:

The first episode where he talks about how the Nazis couldn't organize for poo poo is kind of neat (if very Dan), and the Mike Duncan episode is great. And then he did some episode with a general about tech and gently caress even bothering with that.

It was a pretty good episode, actually.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Mike Duncan is writing a new book, this one is gonna be a biography of Lafayette, but its not gonna be out until 2021

Also, expected end date for Revolutions is also 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Hopefully this means less interruptions in the podcast...and less shilling of his book, I was interested in it but man I couldn't bring myself to buy it after hearing how I should preorder it twice an episode.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I mean

I think it's fair of him to push his stuff on his show.

The book is also quite good, I listened to it already.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I just found the way he did it very grating. I'm really not sure why but I couldn't stand it. Robin Pierson had a whole episode to sell me on Anthony kaldelis's book and it was far better done.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I don’t really remember him plugging the book aside from at the start, which you can skip pretty easily. I’ve been listening to History of Rome for the last few months and I’m definitely not listening to the Audible read every time.

Side note - it’s hilarious how quickly he got bored of doing that, since within a few months it was “As you OBVIOUSLYknow by now, Audible is...”

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

webmeister posted:

I don’t really remember him plugging the book aside from at the start, which you can skip pretty easily. I’ve been listening to History of Rome for the last few months and I’m definitely not listening to the Audible read every time.

Side note - it’s hilarious how quickly he got bored of doing that, since within a few months it was “As you OBVIOUSLYknow by now, Audible is...”

He does it at the begging and occasionally the end.

That being someone’s breaking point is hilarious.

I assumed you must never shave considering all the shilling he does for that.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

He does do it more than other podcasts I listen to. I always skip the first 2 minutes of the revolutions podcast and sometimes he's still selling his stuff by that point. But off course, it's his podcast that he makes available for free, so you can't complain.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

Harry's is the only podcast discount I've ever used actually. I've been using his codes since the history of rome days.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

kanonvandekempen posted:

He does do it more than other podcasts I listen to.

hoo boy let me tell you about a little show called The dollop

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Rodyle posted:

I started skipping the first 10 min, gently caress if I miss any jokes.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Gaius Marius posted:

Hopefully this means less interruptions in the podcast...and less shilling of his book, I was interested in it but man I couldn't bring myself to buy it after hearing how I should preorder it twice an episode.

I would much rather hear about a book he wrote than some mattress or candybar I will never in my life buy

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

mike12345 posted:

I started skipping the first 10 min, gently caress if I miss any jokes.

Whenever I set my work playlists up, I have to poke around for the Date intro for every Dollop on my list. I miss a lot of Jose that way but oh well.

It's especially bad because they commit the cardinal sin of post-theme song housekeeping. Something that Mike almost never does... except this week, ironically.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I wonder if there's anyone at all who listens to the first ~10 minutes of Marc Maron's podcast these days.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Rodyle posted:

so say you're a guy...

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Rodyle posted:

the cardinal sin of post-theme song housekeeping.

Hah, I never thought about this but it makes perfect sense; and yeah I know see I've been conditioned to expect that from (better) shows like History of Rome/Revolutions.

I'm finding myself listening to less and less history podcasts day-to-day; for example I'm just going to wait for my feed to show revolutions 8.x and then go back through it. But if we are also talking informational podcasts I want to mention The Weeds, Worldly, Lawfare and a new podcast The Horns of the Dilemma. All are informative looks are current events without being sound-byte length listings of headlines and, importantly to me, they're well structured/created to be high content.

I'd also like a recommendation for a good conservative podcast. I tried the Ben Shapiro show and, setting aside any question of message, I don't like the radio show format. Can anyone recommend something more structured/pre-planned like the shows I mentioned above? And you don't even necessarily have to agree with the show's message or viewpoint, I'm just looking for something representing (preferably moderate) conservative view point in a structure that isn't 1-2 hours a day improvised.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jack B Nimble posted:

I'd also like a recommendation for a good conservative podcast. I tried the Ben Shapiro show and, setting aside any question of message, I don't like the radio show format. Can anyone recommend something more structured/pre-planned like the shows I mentioned above? And you don't even necessarily have to agree with the show's message or viewpoint, I'm just looking for something representing (preferably moderate) conservative view point in a structure that isn't 1-2 hours a day improvised.

Chapo Trap House

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Jack B Nimble posted:

I'd check the publishers or networks you like, they might already offer podcasts. Eg National Review comes to mind. In Europe I'd check the Economist or websites of popular conservative newspapers.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

mike12345 posted:

I'd check the publishers or networks you like, they might already offer podcasts. Eg National Review comes to mind. In Europe I'd check the Economist or websites of popular conservative newspapers.

I wouldn’t necessarily say the Economist is particularly conservative. They’re more classical liberal/libertarian. The Spectator is probably more archetypally conservative, and they have a podcast too.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Jack B Nimble posted:

Jokes aside Ben Shapiro is probably among the least awful of the bunch and he may even be within spitting distance of 'moderate' on somethings, so if you can't even stand him the closest you're going to get to a 'good conservative podcast' is probably something like NPR/PRI's Marketplace or The Economist Radio

Most of conservative media is either in homage to the angry radio talk show hosts like Father Coughlin or Rush Limbaugh. Or the modern version of that, weepy youtube pedants like Sargon of Akkad and Jordan Peterson who upload 5 hour long stream of conscious monologues about rootless cosmopolitans, cultural bolshevism, and lobster hierarchies

e: Chapo Trap House is unironically a good suggestion because they do reading series from all sorts of conservative pundits. From older established conservative venues like National Review or the Federalist and from new kid conservatives like Ben Shapiro and Jack Posibec who've cultivated their own following through podcasts/twitter/youtube instead of print media

420 Gank Mid fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Mar 26, 2018

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Up and Vanished has he most egregious ads I’ve heard on a podcast. At least the Dollop throws me up front. This guy blends them into a tragic murder case every few minutes.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I think of myself as pretty conservative and the Shapiro podcast sometimes makes me sweat profusely and pull my tie, but yeah that's only sometimes, other times he's pretty good, it's mostly his format I don't like.

I'll check out the other suggestions, thanks.

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009

Jack B Nimble posted:

I think of myself as pretty conservative and the Shapiro podcast sometimes makes me sweat profusely and pull my tie, but yeah that's only sometimes, other times he's pretty good, it's mostly his format I don't like.

Check out the cum town podcast. Good conservative political commentary with a comedic twist. They also request nazis pay 10 dollars a month on patreon instead of 5 for premium episode access.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

adebisi lives posted:

Check out the cum town podcast. Good conservative political commentary with a comedic twist. They also request nazis pay 10 dollars a month on patreon instead of 5 for premium episode access.

Conservatives
United
Manifesto

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Jack B Nimble posted:

https://twitter.com/JMcCarthysGhost/status/970002699222528000

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Ahahahaha oh lordy

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Jack B Nimble posted:

Hahahahahahahaha

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Imagine actually listening to that racist manlet. Good god

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Ben Shapiro is the little sad-faced dude that almost stroked out in anger a few weeks ago over Black Panther’s popularity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah I think I was a bit too kind in that characterisation: sometimes Ben Shapiro's comments are understandable within a rational frame work grounded in reality, and sometimes he's a insane conspiracy theorist. What surprised me most was when I found out he wasn't ranked near the bottom of the pile for my choices, he's among the top, I mean I'd listen to him before I listen to Sargon of Akkad.

I listened to maybe three of Ben's recent podcasts and at one point he argued that the black and white reactionaries in Pleasantville were right. He didn't seem aware of any irony or humor in the assertion.

I'm downloading cum town now, surely it's at least...self aware.

Oh, and to clarify I agreed with his assertion that supposedly neutral news reporting type stories in the guardian have a clear pro gun control bias.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Mar 27, 2018