Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
So I cheated a bit and gave myself all of the breakthroughs (except for 3 apparently, must have misspelled them). I also chose a hard mission and to embark as the religious faction.

So yeah, the birth rate is doubled, seniors still have kids, and when someone dies, they have a 50% chance of coming back to life (I haven't tested if they also drop food even if they come back to life, but that's funny to think about).

I've hit 2500 colonists. I am at this point literally incapable of building housing faster than they can poo poo out kids. I make well over 300 of each resource a day and can build and outfit two entire domes filled with nothing but housing and services in less than one Sol, and that's still not enough.

Next time I'm purging everyone and just building robots. The ethics are horrifying, and I like the children's creche I built that makes the kids into superworkers, but the children's creche is filled with over 1000 people now, some of whom have been stuck there long enough to become adults, and new kids keep getting shipped into the nurseries. They then age, and are stuck there waiting to be airlifted to a new dome, but by the time they get the chance, someone else has literally hosed them out of a position.

Edit: I turned off the dome with 1,000 colonists in it. 1,278 deaths later, the total population of the colony had... increased. To say this is unsustainable at this point is a massive understatement.

On the bright side, there was plenty of food in the dome.

Edit Edit: 3 days later the population is back at 1,000. I think just having nurseries in the dome makes people send their kids there, which means that there's no homeless in their dome, which means they keep breeding, which means the kids are trapped in a hellish cycle of death and reincarnation, producing soylent each time. Sure, World War 3 is raging on Earth, but Mars is a dystopia straight out of a nightmare.

Dirk the Average fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Mar 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Doctor_Acula posted:

Just got hit with my first meteor storm. We've got about 12 hours left. It's absolutely terrifying.

I find them a lot less annoying than either Dust Storms (excuse me I'll just shut down your O2 production) and Cold Snaps (excuse me while my electrical grid SCREAMS at me). Most of the meteors target a random chunk of the map which could just as easily be the furthest corner of the map. Meanwhile, if you build with redundancy you'll likely be fine.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Alkydere posted:

I find them a lot less annoying than either Dust Storms (excuse me I'll just shut down your O2 production) and Cold Snaps (excuse me while my electrical grid SCREAMS at me). Most of the meteors target a random chunk of the map which could just as easily be the furthest corner of the map. Meanwhile, if you build with redundancy you'll likely be fine.
It's also pretty funny when it hits dead on one of your domes. I had a few suicides, because apparently having your dome suffer direct hits from no less than seven meteorites is :airquote:stressful:airquote:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Alkydere posted:

Meteors also give you a lot of anomalies so they basically pay for themselves.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

A few dead colonists is a small price to pay for science.

Doctor_Acula
May 24, 2011

Michaellaneous posted:

This should be on the box, honestly.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Where the gently caress is the tutorial?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Affi posted:

Where the gently caress is the tutorial?

hahahahahahahaha.

The tutorial is youtube videos. Yeah. (forum posts hint that the devs were blindsided by the needs, obv thought the UI+hints was more than enough. No idea if they're going to rectify that at this point, but probably yes).

For now, there is the "easy start" option which activates hints by default, and gives you some guidance at least.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Dirk the Average posted:

Next time I'm purging everyone and just building robots. The ethics are horrifying, and I like the children's creche I built that makes the kids into superworkers, but the children's creche is filled with over 1000 people now, some of whom have been stuck there long enough to become adults, and new kids keep getting shipped into the nurseries. They then age, and are stuck there waiting to be airlifted to a new dome, but by the time they get the chance, someone else has literally hosed them out of a position.

I made a custom Command that started with the Drone Assembler building, the Positronic Brain for biorobots, and the Printed Electronics which allows you to make drones AND biorobots straight from metal.

Then I just shipped in an all female group large enough to run the assembler building, and created a perfect robot colony. A huge number of perks and the only real downside is you are very metal dependent for any sort of growth.

Groetgaffel posted:

It's also pretty funny when it hits dead on one of your domes. I had a few suicides, because apparently having your dome suffer direct hits from no less than seven meteorites is :airquote:stressful:airquote:

I had one hit dead on my central dome, continuously breaking my air, water, power network. All during the peak of the Wildfire mystery. Someone would die, and then someone else would commit suicide because they were grieving the dead person.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Yeah I started with the religious faction last night and hoo buddy do they pop out people. I got their achievement (100 Martianborn by sol 100) and my god, it was supremely easy even after I didn’t get my first colonists until almost Sol20. I didn’t even get apartments until like Sol 30-40. There is already a problem with colonists spitting out kids and their bonuses double down on it.

It’s the first game I have a farm in all but 1 of 5 small domes and still almost run out of food constantly. I’m going to finish the mystery and reroll... even though I was going to make this my “long term” game.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Doctor_Acula posted:

Every single time I've done this I've found nothing. :(

Then just restart the map and scan a couple different ones until you find resources. I justify this by telling myself that any mission sent to Mars would first spend the time to find a good landing spot and would know where the nearest resources to that landing spot would be.

Doctor_Acula
May 24, 2011
I started doing that once I realized they only randomize on map generation, not load.

Man, wind turbines are the truth. Once this meteor storm is over (I went to bed mid-storm), I should be able to put up a medium dome for dome #3 and get that one churning out food. Then Mars is gonna be the cat's pajamas.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Michaellaneous posted:

I've had a few meteorites hit my storage :(

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jeoh posted:

I've had a few meteorites hit my storage :(

On this note it is a good idea to spread your storage out and particularly do not build universal depots without anti meteor coverage, because the fuel will detonate and take out everything else.

Keep your fuel away from important things.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Anyone has any advice for the founder to pop a baby ASAP ?
I take it having people with the trait "sexy" help but what else ?
What buildings should you set up initialy ?

Late game when you have tons of upgrades that enhance comfort it's pretty easy to have babies but initialy I only managed it at founder + 8 sol or so.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

An infirmary will reduce the threshold for having kids, otherwise you want comfort as high as possible.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

OwlFancier posted:

On this note it is a good idea to spread your storage out and particularly do not build universal depots without anti meteor coverage, because the fuel will detonate and take out everything else.

yeah i only put fuel in dedicated stockpiles away from everything else

Krogort posted:

Anyone has any advice for the founder to pop a baby ASAP ?
I take it having people with the trait "sexy" help but what else ?
What buildings should you set up initialy ?

Late game when you have tons of upgrades that enhance comfort it's pretty easy to have babies but initialy I only managed it at founder + 8 sol or so.

just make sure you have an infirmary and bring medics to staff it with your initial 12 colonists, a baby will typically be born in 5-7 sols

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Related to my previous post, pick the Church of the New Ark.

First dome popped out a baby within like 4 days. Also one bit I noticed is that, if you can afford it, use the smaller homes and not apartments. The comfort difference in the very early game is a big modifier.

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

It also helps to have the infirmary staffed 3rd shift too, otherwise you're missing out on 8 hours a day of possible child birth. For my first dome I do normal living quarters as opposed to apartments, infirmary, grocer, diner, small park in the middle of those, and farm. Later I'll bulldoze the living quarters and replace it with an apartment. I always beeline my research to farm because hydroponics and fungal farms are way more staff and resource inefficient than farms.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Fungal farms are useful if you're low on water.

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

Someone on reddit made a chart of every map coordinate's resources and threats.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13Yt4W5S-Ea9sGR9qJNr9McChl-ocRQaIkFv1H5gbGM4/edit#gid=0

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I wonder what's the speed record for getting a mars-born ready.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text
Does anyone know if the Fusion Autoregulator tech is bugged or do building upgrade techs only apply on new buildings made after the research is complete?
My fusion generators required 8 people per shift before and after the research. Fusion reactors ain't cheap so it'd be nice to know if that's the case and if I should be rebuilding huge swaths of my old infrastructure.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Nukelear v.2 posted:

Does anyone know if the Fusion Autoregulator tech is bugged or do building upgrade techs only apply on new buildings made after the research is complete?
My fusion generators required 8 people per shift before and after the research. Fusion reactors ain't cheap so it'd be nice to know if that's the case and if I should be rebuilding huge swaths of my old infrastructure.

You may need to upgrade the reactor with an icon on the top right corner of the screen

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Nukelear v.2 posted:

you need to manually upgrade the fusion reactor, which has a resource cost (10 polymers)

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

Krogort posted:

You may need to upgrade the reactor with an icon on the top right corner of the screen

Ah, that was the other thing I was thinking but damned if I could find anything that looked like 'upgrade building' in the UI. Thank you both!

Am I crazy for doing fusion? Everyone seems to be in love with windmills in this thread but I can't imagine trying to produce the hundreds of energy I need with just solar/wind. I teched up to fusion asap and shut everything else down.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Nukelear v.2 posted:

Ah, that was the other thing I was thinking but damned if I could find anything that looked like 'upgrade building' in the UI. Thank you both!

Am I crazy for doing fusion? Everyone seems to be in love with windmills in this thread but I can't imagine trying to produce the hundreds of energy I need with just solar/wind. I teched up to fusion asap and shut everything else down.

fusion is better as a late game power supply, yeah. the talk about windmills is how important they are in the early game

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you get eternal fusion it's the best powersource by far. Otherwise it depends on how much labour you're willing to throw at it.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

How big is the blast radius? I've been keeping my fuel away from everything else, but I've never actually had it get hit yet, so I don't know if I'm overcompensating.

Humbaba
Aug 4, 2006
Fusion is a great late game power supply. In my longest game (1k pop, completed the AI mystery, built all the available wonders), I found that I had trouble keeping people employed, so in retrospect, parking 9 people per power plant is probably just fine.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

FractalSandwich posted:

How big is the blast radius? I've been keeping my fuel away from everything else, but I've never actually had it get hit yet, so I don't know if I'm overcompensating.

Small to non existent - I'd guess 2 hexes or less based on the few times I've seen them get hit. (I haven't actually witnessed splash damage to nearby buildings.) Fuel supplies that blow up in a universal depot will definitely damage the other goods there though, so I always turn them off and keep them only in dedicated depots spaced away from other things.

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

I really wish you could have some input on what breakthroughs you get, like the ascendancies in Stellaris. There's a few I haven't gotten that I would like to play with and there are a few that I would love to be able to guarantee myself every game just for QOL's sake.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

FractalSandwich posted:

Yeah it's only a few hexes or so i think, just don't stack them together, next to buildings, or next to other depots.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Namaer posted:

I really wish you could have some input on what breakthroughs you get, like the ascendancies in Stellaris. There's a few I haven't gotten that I would like to play with and there are a few that I would love to be able to guarantee myself every game just for QOL's sake.

I’d dig a mod that kept them random but let me forbid some. A few I will just plain never use and it always feels detrimental when they pop.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Namaer posted:

It's worth looking into modding. You can set up a commander profile where you start with certain breakthroughs discovered (not researched), and then leave the remaining breakthroughs to chance.

I'm personally halfway considering adding certain breakthroughs to the tech tree (infinite durability pipes, infinite durability drone controllers, giant crops, and a few others that are nice QoL, but aren't absolute game changers) as standard technologies.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Tbh I'm really not a fan of most of the breakthroughs as they act like a get-out-of-challenge free card. The game isn't hard enough to justify that - look at this chap's videos, where he fucks up several times and is still able to handily beat the hardest difficulty:

https://youtu.be/cTPaH4aUPYw

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

Nukelear v.2 posted:

I had a catastrophic failure once when my fusion plant disappeared with one of the mystery events and suddenly the colony was down 200 power, so that's something to keep in mind. It could drop from regular natural disasters as well. Also, by the time you get fusion you are likely very close to having scrubbers which trivialize power and factories forever.

The game probably needs some middle ground difficulty between scraping by with very limited resources and getting everything free once you tech to scrubbers/mohole.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Promethium posted:

The game probably needs some middle ground difficulty between scraping by with very limited resources and getting everything free once you tech to scrubbers/mohole.

it will come in time, this game reminds me heavily of tropico 3 which was pretty minimal when it was released, and gradually developed over time into tropico 4 modern times with like three times as much content

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Haieiemonont or whatever is no stranger to support and DLC but hopefully the Paradox publishing aspect will push them away from “$4 for a building” and more into the “$10-20 for significant additions/new mechanics” of EU4/Cities:Skylines. This can still backfire if their DLCs are wack as sometimes happens with Paradox, but I think it’s a fair system in general for both dev/publisher and consumer.

I wholly expect this to be a game I don’t play for like a year, a new DLC will drop, and I’ll binge it for two weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Apparently all the gameplay is implemented in Lua so modders have access to build anything they want on top of it, so that might help.