Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kater
Nov 16, 2010

There's some historical thing I'm missing or it's from a manga source from a decade ago and the Girls und Panzer finale thing isn't actually making an incredibly obvious European refugee metaphor with the tan girl transfer student and the rich blonde that had been there, right?

Either way, drat GuP is good. Not getting a proper Panzer Vor though is unacceptable and cannot happen again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Sort of? The idea seemed to be that all the escalator students were French and all the transfers were Japanese.

...Despite the fact that in-universe all the schools are actually Japanese and just act like their countries? Since they made a point of Katyusha not actually knowing Russian and Darjeeling not actually having been to the UK? Maybe all the escalator Freedom students just dye their hair???

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
katyusha doesn't know russian but iirc her classmates are from russia. like, that's straight-up a scene in the movie

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

i miss the kv-2

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

kater posted:

There's some historical thing I'm missing or it's from a manga source from a decade ago and the Girls und Panzer finale thing isn't actually making an incredibly obvious European refugee metaphor with the tan girl transfer student and the rich blonde that had been there, right?

Either way, drat GuP is good. Not getting a proper Panzer Vor though is unacceptable and cannot happen again.

i saw the whole thing more as a rich/poor french revolution metaphor. i would have rather had a vichy/free france thing going though. that said, das finale did lean more heavily on the fascist refs than i recall from the previous parts (the gran sasso reference was an odd choice)

The Colonel posted:

katyusha doesn't know russian but iirc her classmates are from russia. like, that's straight-up a scene in the movie

no, only the blond girl is iirc. shes a transfer student, something they make clear again in das finale

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i just took the french school as a rose of versailles thing, especially with the commander girl being named Marie and the two subcommanders being kinda handsome when they put their full uniforms on. or lesmis. i think tan girl is just tan

edit: also klara is definitely russian. nonna's birthplace is listed as hokkaido. hokkaido has a lot of historical and modern ties to Russia so its possible shes of russian/Japanese mixed descent, which'd fit with her being so much taller than everyone else and knowing russian. regardless shes definitely not foreign like klara is.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Mar 26, 2018

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

well i mean, marie is a name linked to the french revolution in multiple ways...

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
and she's a literal cake eater who just goes 'who give a gently caress? tryna eat cake here'

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
les biserables

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Man, spring's got a lot more options. I only really had 3 shows to watch this winter.

Hype:
Golden Kamuy (they better get the faces right)
Lupin 3, Pt. V

Safe:
BNH3
Wotakoi (Been waiting for this to come out since finding it in the Zolgin thread (come back zolgin))

Chance:
Hisone To Maso-Tan
Caligula
Megablox

Risk:
Magical Girl Boy (ore)

99% sure I'm just going to end up watching GK and Wotakoi week to week and just catch up on the rest as they air past the second week though.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Magical girl ore is a good one this season, it’s just the right kind of trashy raunchy to be a magical girl take on yaoi that brings something new to the table.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Space Flower posted:

and she's a literal cake eater who just goes 'who give a gently caress? tryna eat cake here'

Yeah, but who doesn't love cake?

Davincie posted:

well i mean, marie is a name linked to the french revolution in multiple ways...

Yeah, but the named characters are, as a whole, a Rose of Versaille reference: Oscar (Oshida), Andre (Andou), and Marie-Antoinette (Marie). Rose, itself is set around the French Revolution so, like a cake, it's a layered reference.

Also remember that the whole rivalry as shown was a ruse.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Endorph posted:

edit: also klara is definitely russian. nonna's birthplace is listed as hokkaido. hokkaido has a lot of historical and modern ties to Russia so its possible shes of russian/Japanese mixed descent, which'd fit with her being so much taller than everyone else and knowing russian. regardless shes definitely not foreign like klara is.

They did really well with voice casting there, since Klara speaks Russian w/o accent, and Nonna... doesn't.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

well that's cause klara's va is russian while nonna's va just jacks off to russia

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Xelkelvos posted:

Also remember that the whole rivalry as shown was a ruse.

ive seen the fanart yeah

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I've resumed watching Full Metal Panic.

In Episode 14, I was disappointed when Chidori teamed up with that rear end in a top hat. I'm not sure what she was trying to accomplish by that.

Episode 15 introduces Sosuke's homeland of Helmajistan. OK, the Khanka Autonomous Region was one thing, but Helmajistan is just a stupid name. Apparently the LNs used actual countries (Afghanistan and North Korea); I guess the anime people felt it would be in bad taste, especially since the US invasion of Afghanistan began shortly before the anime came out.

Edit: Wow, there are a lot of stupid people in Mithril. The ones who aren't are basically just the old man, Tessa, Grace, and sometimes Sosuke.

Also, you can tell Gauron's mech is better than everybody else's because it's red, lol.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Mar 27, 2018

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

sousuke's backstory as a not-mujahideen child soldier in not-afghanistan fighting not-communists is insanely epic and i love it. also melissa mao is definitely one of the not-stupid people

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

OddObserver posted:

They did really well with voice casting there, since Klara speaks Russian w/o accent, and Nonna... doesn't.
One time nonnas va went to russia for a concert for cinderella girls (where she plays a russian girl) and started excitedly talking in russian and the crowd couldnt understand her

Shes a literal russiaboo

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Endorph posted:

One time nonnas va went to russia for a concert for cinderella girls (where she plays a russian girl) and started excitedly talking in russian and the crowd couldnt understand her

Shes a literal russiaboo

Soviebae

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I wanna watch gup but everytime right before I do I remember KAJs book about black tankers and make myself sad enough to forget it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/pkjd/status/978494974672044032?s=21

And there we go.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Silver2195 posted:

I've resumed watching Full Metal Panic.

In Episode 14, I was disappointed when Chidori teamed up with that rear end in a top hat. I'm not sure what she was trying to accomplish by that.

She was mad as Sousuke and wanted to beat him up, that’s literally all there was to it.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

ouch

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

If you haven't watched "A Place Further than the Universe", please go and do so now (it just wrapped up today).

That is all.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

iospace posted:

If you haven't watched "A Place Further than the Universe", please go and do so now (it just wrapped up today).

Okay, I will!

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

I haven't been following this show; So why'd they kill it off?

Speed Edit, clicked through: https://blog.sakugabooru.com/2018/03/24/marchen-madchen-a-production-postmortem/

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sharkopath posted:

I wanna watch gup but everytime right before I do I remember KAJs book about black tankers and make myself sad enough to forget it.

gup is fun enough to alleviate any sadness, op

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Ooof. :smith:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

An official website for creative company Bouncy has launched an official website and announced a 3DCG live anime variety show by director Koutarou Ishidate titled Virtual Wide has been announced. Its trial version will be streaming live via Yahoo! Japan at 9:00 p.m. for one hour on March 29. The archive version will also be available for a week after the live-streaming.

Ishidate, who has produced live anime series for Minarai Diva and Mahou Shoujo? Naria☆Girls in the past, will direct and compose the show. The concept for the show is "Virtual YouTuber x Wideshow." Wideshow is a made up word by Japanese for variety show.

Setting of the Show:
Gods and angels on Heaven would look down on Earth and discuss about what happens there freely. The light for the two angels Mika Shinzen and Gabu Mizuki, would descend on their heads when they hear Ten no Koe (God's voice).

if this one is as bad as the last.... 3 or 4 studio bouncy offerings ill fuckign kill myself

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
It'll be bad

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

It's not even in a GuP position where they were slow because they took their time making something high quality

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Xelkelvos posted:

It's not even in a GuP position where they were slow because they took their time making something high quality

I mean, they're trying, but they're not being managed in a way that will actually allow for that.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is it true that the GuP animators kept trying to sneak in pantyshots and the director kept catching them and making them fix it, or is that just an urban legend?

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

For whatever reason brought this up, I can't remember a single panty shot happening in Konosuba, yet it managed to be way dirtier than if it just had some.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Ranzear posted:

For whatever reason brought this up, I can't remember a single panty shot happening in Konosuba, yet it managed to be way dirtier than if it just had some.

You can't have an Aqua pantyshot, because she isn't wearing any. Apart from that, we've only seen magically stolen underwear.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/catsuka/status/978683141446623232

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

Is it true that the GuP animators kept trying to sneak in pantyshots and the director kept catching them and making them fix it, or is that just an urban legend?

It's something he stated with regards to his P.A. Works projects and there's apparently a tweet that he made that suggests that this also applied to GuP

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

there was definitely a no pantyshots rule imposed by the director on GuP, because there's a couple of gags in some of the side material about that. Iunno if they kept trying to constantly sneak them in, though, that might just be a rumor.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
i saw his tweet about there being a pantyshots resistance that was trying to get stuff past him for a bit, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

nielsm posted:

You can't have an Aqua pantyshot, because she isn't wearing any. Apart from that, we've only seen magically stolen underwear.

No, Aqua uses magic to make her panties invisible so nobody can see them :colbert:

• Locked thread