Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Unfortunately unlikely - the highest ranked opponent he's had was Shodai at M4. They'll probably start throwing higher ranks at him in a couple of days if he keeps winning.

Shame, because he seems pretty on ball this basho - I think all his wins have been pretty solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Yeah, it's awesome seeing Kaisei moving so decisively and with such skill. Real pleasure to watch!

Day 8 standings! The yusho race is now Kakuryu and Kaisei, with Daiamami one off the pace. How weird!

code:
anakha		23
Fluffdaddy	25
Fryhtaning	22
Kanthulu	29
Kenning		29
Kikkoman	11.5
Martytoof	25
ratmosphere	24
Rigel		21
sivad		24
Vargatron	26

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Day 9 standings!

code:
anakha		24.5
Fluffdaddy	29
Fryhtaning	25
Kanthulu	31
Kenning		33
Kikkoman	12.5
Martytoof	27
ratmosphere	28
Rigel		21.5
sivad		27
Vargatron	27

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Goeido's henka was some bullshit. Kaisei versus Ichinojo was great, I hadn't realized how similarly sized the two of them actually are.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Yeah, even the hometown Osaka crowd didn't like that bullshit from Goeido. God willing Tochinoshin can get his 10 in the last few days. If he ends up with 9 that henka is going to really, really sting.

Day 10 standings!

code:
anakha		27.5
Fluffdaddy	34
Fryhtaning	28
Kanthulu	34
Kenning		35.5
Kikkoman	16.5
Martytoof	29
ratmosphere	33
Rigel		25.5
sivad		32
Vargatron	30

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Why does Tochinoshin need 10 wins?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Shiroc posted:

Goeido's henka was some bullshit. Kaisei versus Ichinojo was great, I hadn't realized how similarly sized the two of them actually are.

One of my buddies and I had this very conversation last night. He was very displeased with the henka result.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Kanthulhu posted:

Why does Tochinoshin need 10 wins?

I guess people might be talking in terms of ozeki promotion? 10-X from this basho would mean 33 wins from the three latest bashos total, which to my understanding is possible promotion territory at his sekiwake rank. The thing that makes me doubtful about it though is the fact that his previous two bashos were at upper table maegashira (M3 in January, M6 in November), not within sanyaku ranks or the immediate proximity.

Sumodb has pretty nifty search tool for poo poo like this so I went back and hopefully did the correct search to look at the question (wrestlers, who at sekiwake rank had at least 33 wins in their last three tournaments, at least ten wins from that last basho). Turns out, the case we have with Tochinoshin is not that common (if he makes that 10 wins) - most of the ozeki promotions we've seen are much more clear cut, and three basho hot streak from maegashira ranks to sekiwake is not common:

Terunofuji's run started at M2 and went 8-7, 13-2 (S), 12-3 (S, yusho), promoted. He started pretty up though and had two sekiwake bashos - I recall the promotion was a done deal from the sumo association side if he took the yusho on the final day?

(Miyabiyama was shafted in 2006 it looks like, or at least it tells you that the "33 wins, 10-X to cap at sekiwake" is not a hard and fast rule even if you start at sanyaku rank. Dunno if there is some extra to the story that is not apparent from stats - was not followin sumo back then. He wrestled three bashos with 10-5 (K), 14-1 (S, playoff loss to Hakuho), 10-5 (S). 34 wins all at sanyaku and no-go?)

Kotooshu in 2005 had 10-5 (M5), 12-3 (K), 13-2 (S, playoff loss) for 35 and no promotion. 11-4 at the next basho did the job.

Kotomitsuki in 2001 had 13-2 (M2, yusho), 9-6 (S), 12-3 (S) for 34 total, but had to wait until 2007 for his ozeki promotion.

So yeah I'm not sure where the 10 win number is coming from, other than personally I do think that he's a cool wrestler and 10-5 or 11-4 this basho at sekiwake, together with the 14-1 yusho from the previous one, would definitely make the May and his second consecutive basho at sekiwake interesting and something to actually speculate ozeki run with. The situation would resemble most Terunofuji's - though "something" makes me think we might need to look at Kotooshu instead...

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I understood it as 33 wins within a 3 tournament span in the sanyaku ranks. Like you have to be at least Komusubi first before you make the wins.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ishiura literally has one move.

I can't believe everyone is falling for the henka.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I seem to remember someone on Tachiai suggesting that starting with his 14-1 yusho he could be considered on an ozeki run if he posted 10+ wins for the next two basho, even though he wasn't in san'yaku at Hatsu. At the very least, the goal for anyone at sekiwake has to be double-digit wins, since that's the only way to advance. No one wants to be in the position of Mitakeumi (or Tamawashi before him) where you hang on at sekiwake but can only post 8-7 or 9-6 records.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Lunsku posted:

I guess people might be talking in terms of ozeki promotion? 10-X from this basho would mean 33 wins from the three latest bashos total, which to my understanding is possible promotion territory at his sekiwake rank. The thing that makes me doubtful about it though is the fact that his previous two bashos were at upper table maegashira (M3 in January, M6 in November), not within sanyaku ranks or the immediate proximity.

Most people don't believe he's in line for an Ozeki run right now because November wont be considered in his total, but 10 wins in March would set him up for an Ozeki run in May because his M3 14-1 yusho is going to undoubtably "count" in that case if it happened despite him not having been in the sanyaku for the 1st of 3 basho. He beat both Ozeki, both Sekiwaki, and competed against the only remaining Yokozuna.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Mar 22, 2018

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Day 11 standings:

code:
anakha		31.5
Fluffdaddy	38
Fryhtaning	31.5
Kanthulu	35
Kenning		40.5
Kikkoman	17
Martytoof	33
ratmosphere	37
Rigel		30.5
sivad		34.5
Vargatron	34

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I feel like once Tochinoshin gets the double mawashi grip it's pretty much over for his opponent.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Vargatron posted:

I feel like once Tochinoshin gets the double mawashi grip it's pretty much over for his opponent.

There isn’t a guy in Sanyaku not named Hakuhou he can’t tote off the ring and drat that’s so cool

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Some awesome Sumo today.

Watching Ichinojou is infuriating. It's either "How has he ever beaten anyone??" or "how has anyone ever beaten him??". Two completely different wrestlers depending on the day.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Playing to his competition apparently.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Day 12 standings! The kachi- and make-koshi are starting to really roll in.

code:
anakha		34.5
Fluffdaddy	41
Fryhtaning	32.5
Kanthulu	39.5
Kenning		44.5
Kikkoman	18.5
Martytoof	36
ratmosphere	40
Rigel		34.5
sivad		34.5
Vargatron	39

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Holy h*ck, that Takayasu bout. That was some incredibly fun sumo!

This is a good tournament. Wonder if there’s any fun Sumo stuff I can see when I’m in Tokyo next month.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Lucked out - in Malaysia for some family time, so was going to miss last two days of Basho, but Airbnb apartment has NHK world on cable, so caught last night's digest this morning.

Martytoof posted:

Holy h*ck, that Takayasu bout. That was some incredibly fun sumo!

This is a good tournament. Wonder if there’s any fun Sumo stuff I can see when I’m in Tokyo next month.

Yeah, that was an awesome match. His opponent came out hard and he was lucky to escape the first couple of drives.

It feels like every day this Basho has had a couple of really good bouts like that, with some really spirited sumo. Plus, there's been some dudes who seem like they're trying to step up - chiyomaru's been surprisingly aggressive, mitakeumi seems to be even more spirited than usual (unfortunately that hasn't been turning into wins, can't seem to catch a break at times), tochinoshin hasn't done as well this Basho, but he's still bringing it. His interview after beating Kakuryu, he was bright red - you could see he'd gone all out to win.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

So.... if Takayasu wins on Day 15 in a few hours, then he will have quietly put together back to back jun yusho. Given that the yokozuna are ailing, Hakuho is probably only good for 3 or 4 tournaments a year now, Kisenosato is done but we can't admit it yet, etc. They need some star power...

If Takayasu wins today and then goes 14-1 or 13-2 Yusho in May, do they give him the rope?

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

He’s gotta win another I think. They will be fine with 2 Yokozuna for awhile. The real issue is the S/K ranks. It’s pretty dire in the upper end of the middle of the pack. Endou has at least put together a few solid outings and we might get another year out of Tochinoshin but the rest of the pack is volatile as hell.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

The most important match for future rankings is probably Tochinoshin's bout with Ichinojo. 10 wins would look a hell of a lot better for his putative Ozeki run than 9. The rules can be bent a little when you win a yusho, but he can't follow his 14-1 as a maegashira with just 9 wins. If he does, then he'd need an exceptional May to have a chance, probably 13+ wins.

If Tochinoshin does win today though, then 11 wins in May ought to do it.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Special Prizes (each worth roughly $20,000)

Tochinoshin won the outstanding performance prize

Kaisei won the fighting spirit prize

Endo won the technique prize

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Good for Kaisei. He had a really good basho this outing.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I'm really hoping for Ozeki Tochinoshin after the May basho.

sivad
Feb 28, 2005

Shiroc posted:

I'm really hoping for Ozeki Tochinoshin after the May basho.

:getin:

Also, grandpa sumo back in the top division in may?

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
Endo receiving the gino-sho seems like a weird choice. He wrestled fine but his technique didn't seem award winning to me.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Hey everybody! Sorry for being MIA this weekend, I was out of town again. Here are the final standings!

code:
anakha		42
Fluffdaddy	50
Fryhtaning	39.5
Kanthulu	56.5
Kenning		69.5
Kikkoman	33.5
Martytoof	51
ratmosphere	50
Rigel		50.5
sivad		47.5
Vargatron	49.5
This is the first time I've won! I had all 3 special prize winners and both jun-yusho winners, which wasthe big source of points obviously.

Interestingly, looking back at the last 3 things we've done, the winner of fantasy sumo only held the yusho winner once, but they always held the jun-yusho winner/s and at least 2 special prize wins. Also, when sivad won with Tochinoshin it wasn't the 5 points from the yusho that made the difference. Does this suggest that maybe the yusho is under-valued in the scoring system? Or does it mean that the system is actually good, since it's not necessarily "pick Hakuho and you'll win the fantasy league."

Super fun basho, had some great twists and turns. Tochinoshin vs. Ichinojo got me all riled up. Such good sumo! I really hope Tochi can hold onto it for Natsu and pull out another 10. That would be awesome. Also, Abi has managed to put together two 10-5 records in a row on his makuuchi debut. It's interesting to see that he and Onosho (who did that last) both have a lot of aggression and a bit of a tendency to over-commit. I hope Abi can work on his balance and vary up his attack in the next 6 weeks, cause he's gonna be in the joi at Natsu.

hot date tonight! posted:

Endo receiving the gino-sho seems like a weird choice. He wrestled fine but his technique didn't seem award winning to me.

His win against Chiyotairyu stands out as a clear application of strategy and technique. He also deployed a good variety of kimarite, and displayed good technique even in bouts that he lost, like against Tochinoshin.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

Kenning posted:

His win against Chiyotairyu stands out as a clear application of strategy and technique. He also deployed a good variety of kimarite, and displayed good technique even in bouts that he lost, like against Tochinoshin.

Sure there's a little variation in his kimarite, but it was all standard stuff, kimarite you see 100 times a basho. Just push outs and slap downs. I can appreciate that win against Chiyotairyu, his sumo just didn't feel above and beyond the crowd to me.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I think Abi's tendency to over commit will get better as he gets more experience in makuuchi. I think the aggression with his tsuppari causes a bit of trouble with rikishi who favor mawashi holds, but it leaves him really vulnerable to henka and pulldowns. My prediction is that he has a 7-8 record basho in May since he's going to be facing stiffer competition this time around.

Speaking of stiffer competition, Tochinoshin did really well in response to his Sekiwake promotion. I think he could have easily been 12-3, but he suffered a weak loss early on and got henka'd to death on another match. That Kakuryu victory was really fun to watch and he staved off Ichinojo's lean attack very well.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Daishomaru/Abi/Goeido did well, but Mitakeumi coming up short and Takarafuji/Shohozan's abysmal performance (switched to Shohozan at 4-0 and went 4-7 to finish the basho) pretty much submarined my team.

Agree that Abi's not likely to equal his win average next basho. Was also kinda disappointed Aoiyama didn't crush his opposition at the bottom ranks of makuuchi.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Yeah, Aoiyama looked super hot to start with, but he faded hard in the last week. Hope he can at least stay solid in makuuchi for the foreseeable, I like watching him fight.

Chiyomaru was a pretty cool surprise. Too bad about the make-koshi, but it'll be interesting to see in May if he's actually flipped into a more formidable brand of sumo, or if this was just a flukey basho.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I might sit out the next fantasy just because I didn't find myself with enough time/foresight to actually manage and swap out wrestlers -- as happens with most of my fantasy teams -- but we'll see how I feel in two months.

Thanks a ton for running it, though. Has been a lot of fun, and a great excuse to root for some rikishi you wouldn't normally care much about.

I was surprised how many people fell for Ishiura's schtick. You could tell that once people caught on it was a no-brainer to bring him down.
Ichinojou still a super mystery. Which wrestler will show up today? Bad sumo-man, or Itchy the killer?
Takayasu started off really weak, with some pretty lame losses and some iffy wins but by the end I thought he was doing really well and about at the level I expected.
Really happy to see Endou do well too. Don't know why, just like the guy.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Everyone loves Endou in Japan for some reason

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Martytoof posted:

I might sit out the next fantasy just because I didn't find myself with enough time/foresight to actually manage and swap out wrestlers -- as happens with most of my fantasy teams -- but we'll see how I feel in two months.

Thanks a ton for running it, though. Has been a lot of fun, and a great excuse to root for some rikishi you wouldn't normally care much about.

I was surprised how many people fell for Ishiura's schtick. You could tell that once people caught on it was a no-brainer to bring him down.
Ichinojou still a super mystery. Which wrestler will show up today? Bad sumo-man, or Itchy the killer?
Takayasu started off really weak, with some pretty lame losses and some iffy wins but by the end I thought he was doing really well and about at the level I expected.
Really happy to see Endou do well too. Don't know why, just like the guy.

Glad you've enjoyed the fantasy league! I agree, it makes rooting for guys in the lower ranks way more fun. I've got a buddy who specifically asked me if I had any app project ideas he could practice on, and I told him about fantasy sumo and he thought it sounded really fun, so he's been working on that for a week or so now. Maybe we'll have a rudimentary app by Natsu, that would be wild.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
It's been a while since I've been able to watch a basho from start to finish. It got a lot easier for me with the highlights coverage on NHK World on actual television. As much as I appreciate Kintamayama and Jason, nothing beats seeing coverage straight and direct from the source, with full production and everything.

It was a good tournament!

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Fluffdaddy posted:

He does have especially boyish good looks for a rikishi

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Fluffdaddy posted:

Endo was rocketing up the ranks at a time when the Japanese audience were despairing of ever getting a Japanese yokozuna. Kisenosato was still known then as a guy who will get 10-12 wins but choke in pressure situations, and Kotoshogiku was not likely to ever break through because of how one-dimensional he was.

Endo was the next Great WhiteLocal Hope for them until he blew his knee out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

hot date tonight! posted:

Sure there's a little variation in his kimarite, but it was all standard stuff, kimarite you see 100 times a basho. Just push outs and slap downs. I can appreciate that win against Chiyotairyu, his sumo just didn't feel above and beyond the crowd to me.

Endo didn't look outwardly impressive, but for those who have watched a lot of sumo he very much deserved the award. He played some excellent defensive sumo against some ferocious attacks and won multiple bouts that I was sure he was going to lose. It's hard to appreciate performances like Endo's and Kakuryu's without having observed enough sumo to see the tactical games that go on in the middle of the flurry of palms. I've been watching almost 9 years and I'm just now getting to where I can identify the kimarite (before it's displayed on the screen) at even a 50% rate.