Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Something for you listen to while you post :cool:

https://noisebrec.bandcamp.com/album/reduked-deluxe-edition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

BaconCopter posted:

Snagged Ion Maiden for the hell of it, and drat is it fun. The levels are so saturated with secrets... it's amazing :allears:

I've been playing Icarus with HXRTC and absolutely loving it. The mod is pretty drat ridiculous and seems to spiral out of control (in your favor) once you get some decent guns. I love having a huge arsenal to pull from, adding many new types of ammo is a huge slab of icing on top. Can't wait to get to load it up in another mega-wad!

HXRTC is great chaotic fun but man, sometimes you get some bad rolls on the enemies or weapon drops right at the beginning and you get continually crushed till you squeak by. Then again I'm an idiot that plays on the higher difficulties and I won't back down :downs:

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:

Wamdoodle posted:

HXRTC is great chaotic fun but man, sometimes you get some bad rolls on the enemies or weapon drops right at the beginning and you get continually crushed till you squeak by. Then again I'm an idiot that plays on the higher difficulties and I won't back down :downs:

I had 8ish tries on ~UV before knocking it down a notch. Even then it took me 3-4 before I wasn't obliterated in the first quarter of the first map.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Back from before the soundcard derail:

Two Owls posted:

Oof, Amid Evil really does go to poo poo in episode 3.

I'm curious for some elaboration on this.

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?

JerryLee posted:

Back from before the soundcard derail:

I'm curious for some elaboration on this.

I don't quite understand but I am also the biggest AE fan in this thread from what I have read so I probably liked what he disliked.

I'll go over what happens in Episode 3 to maybe shed light on it, though.

Episode 3 is the point where the game starts being more constant with the combat. Reprieve from battle is limited. Enemy encounters are typically in the double digits, the fights can sprawl across multiple rooms, and there will be at least one rear end in a top hat that gets behind you somehow.

At the same time, it also has a straight up bad boss fight, and the maps start to go a little long. I can think of at least two of the enemies in the episode that I didn't enjoy fighting, ever.

Episode 2 is the highlight, though E3M1 (Journeyman's Way) is super good.

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

I was just really fed up of getting bum-rushed by enemies while trying to navigate narrow platforms, to be honest. Horrible flashbacks to Doom 2's Chasm.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Hell yeah, good stuff.

Copper Vein posted:

I still use a Sound Blaster card and I pipe the output of an external Roland midi device back into it and then I wirelessly stream the AV with a Steam Link and then grabbag.mid plays out of the speakers in my plasma television.

Speaking of getting grabbag on your TV, I just turned on the dusty ol' PS3 to buy Yakuza 5. I dig how when you highlight Duke 3D Megaton Edition in the games list it starts blasting grabbag, glorious. A good reason to keep it installed on every device.

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?

Two Owls posted:

I was just really fed up of getting bum-rushed by enemies while trying to navigate narrow platforms, to be honest. Horrible flashbacks to Doom 2's Chasm.

The purple jerks suck and I hate them.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
And that's Max Payne 2 done with. While I think both games mostly hold up to this day, and I really like MP1's Fimbulwinter New York, I have no qualms in saying that MP2 is definitely the better of the two. It just plays so well, and its bullet time mechanics have been refined in all the right ways. I was also surprised at how effective MP2 was at environmental storytelling. Especially the way seemingly incidental details become overarching narrative motifs as the game goes on. I loved that soundbites from the various fake TV series and commercials return to haunt Max in the the nightmare sequences. Level design too.

I was also surprised at how generally ineffective shotguns were in both games. It looks dope when you spray into a crowd of Cleaners but since you pretty much want to go for headshots as much as possible, they just didn't do enough damage to make up for their inaccuracy and slow ROF.

In short, disappointing shotguns mean I can only give it a 9/10.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Mordja posted:

And that's Max Payne 2 done with. While I think both games mostly hold up to this day, and I really like MP1's Fimbulwinter New York, I have no qualms in saying that MP2 is definitely the better of the two. It just plays so well, and its bullet time mechanics have been refined in all the right ways. I was also surprised at how effective MP2 was at environmental storytelling. Especially the way seemingly incidental details become overarching narrative motifs as the game goes on. I loved that soundbites from the various fake TV series and commercials return to haunt Max in the the nightmare sequences. Level design too.

I was also surprised at how generally ineffective shotguns were in both games. It looks dope when you spray into a crowd of Cleaners but since you pretty much want to go for headshots as much as possible, they just didn't do enough damage to make up for their inaccuracy and slow ROF.

In short, disappointing shotguns mean I can only give it a 9/10.

Harsh but fair

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Great great games, I replayed them both again pretty recently too. In the ol' tradition of ranking everything, I like Max Payne 1 better in general. MP2 rocks as well, and there's a smoothness to the combat, but I like how 1 feels a little bit more exciting and tougher in comparison to me, a bit less chillax. And the story in 2 to me feels a bit like a more subdued epilogue to Max Payne 1, it's well done and the depressing aspects are great and touching, and the humor is still great. Max Payne 1 to me is one of the best stories in games, with especially sharp narration. Really I love both, but hey if we gotta rank, MP1 in my book. Also Max Payne came with a mousepad.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I loved Max Payne--but particularly Max Payne 2--growing up. I remember being ecstatic that MP2 ran so well on my semi-ancient Pentium 3 and 32 MB GPU (can't remember which), and endlessly played whatever the horde/survival game mode was called (which was hard as gently caress).

I think MP1 was the harder game, but I always appreciated the additional polish--and, like others have said, the additional environmental storytelling--of MP2

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Hell yeah I remember which one I had, 3D Blaster Annihilator 2! 32 MB went a long way in those days yessir.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I just remembered that Max Payne 3 exists and while not the same was also pretty dang good??

I think I beat MP2 back to back to back to back when it came out I was so drat hooked. The fact that it can easily be beaten in one sitting helped too.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Agreedo that Max Payne 2 fuckin rules. Too bad that it's so short. At least Stranglehold was also good and somewhat similar.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Yodzilla posted:

I just remembered that Max Payne 3 exists and while not the same was also pretty dang good??

I think I beat MP2 back to back to back to back when it came out I was so drat hooked. The fact that it can easily be beaten in one sitting helped too.

Agreed there, I played 3 for the first time this past fall, really good game. I didn't want them messing with Sam Lake's thing, and even he said he'd have done it differently had he made it of course, though he likes what they did. But glad I eventually gave it a go, plus I like GTA's writing anyway, so this kooky Max Payne set in the GTA universe practically feel works as it's own thing. And he is still very depressed, so that's good. And combat was pretty solid.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I watched cjacobs wr run a couple weeks ago, mp3 is still good

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
All the Max Payne games are fun as hell, even the GBA game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiVbeizCzDU&t=98s

edit:

Speaking of which,

Max Payne Advanced is the best unlockable in Max Payne 3 aside from the original Max (which is also present).

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Mar 26, 2018

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Max Payne 2 is a classic. It was one of my first ever PC games. I remember being blown away by the ragdoll physics, that combined with the bullet-time made the combat feel so visceral. That's just a buzzword now but back in its day Max Payne 2 was the epitome of it.

Max Payne came out during the height of The Matrix mania and despite the completely different stories it nailed the fantasy. It was exactly what people wanted the video game equivalent of The Matrix to be and I think that's a huge part of why it was so popular back then. It captured the zeitgeist pretty well.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

For sure, and the other cool influences like John Woo as well. It was around then (early 2000s) people were getting stuff like The Killer and Hard Boiled on DVD, at least for me. I remember Lars from Metallica being on MTV in 1998 talking about how cool Chow Yun Fat was and those movies and whatnot, for when Replacement Killers came out. (that one wasn't so good). And I got into film noir in high school too right after playing Max Payne, and saw Twin Peaks shortly after as well, so many excellent things in the mix there.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Max Payne 2 is a classic. It was one of my first ever PC games. I remember being blown away by the ragdoll physics, that combined with the bullet-time made the combat feel so visceral. That's just a buzzword now but back in its day Max Payne 2 was the epitome of it.

Max Payne came out during the height of The Matrix mania and despite the completely different stories it nailed the fantasy. It was exactly what people wanted the video game equivalent of The Matrix to be and I think that's a huge part of why it was so popular back then. It captured the zeitgeist pretty well.

A big part of it is how well the game employed the Havok engine, long before it had overstayed its welcome. Plenty of cases where enemies were conveniently positioned in front of boxes in order for you to blast it all apart, or hallways and lobbies built out of flaky plaster and full of garbage in order to get kicked up all over the place. It was definitely visceral, but not in a grotesque way, just in a successfully cinematic and fun way.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Wasn't there literally a havok demo for mp1? I vaguely remember something showcasing his flowing jacket and like a pyramid of paint cans or something

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Max Payne 2's physics seem kind of primitive now, but they--along with Half Life 2's and FEAR's--really made firefights seem more dynamic. In fact, a lot of shooters now feel super static in their environments compared to those mid-2000s games, which is a real shame.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

My only beef with Max Payne 3 is that it's painfully linear in comparison to the first two. In the two earlier installments levels were generally semi-open, and there was a heavier focus on exploration. MP3 is riddled with mini-cutscenes that kind of break up the flow of gameplay.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
There's a distinct lack of metaphors in Max Payne 3

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Max Payne 3 prefers parallels to metaphors. It's has fun with little pokes here and there instead of sticking it right into the noir narration (which is more film noir than neo-noir this time around). There's a part that sticks out in my mind after a hostage trade goes awry where Max says "Great, now we've lost the wife and three million bucks" and 'lost the wife' is emphasized with the popup text and it made me go :smith:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X79uF_EYDnI

Here's a video on Max Payne 3 that just came out by Raycevick.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
GZDoom 3.3.0 is out, adding dynamic spotlights, better Timidity++ integration, support for advanced PBR textures, and the usual bug fixes and modding improvements.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Arcsquad12 posted:

This video is really loving good and you should all watch it, thanks

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Mar 26, 2018

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Max Payne 3 prefers parallels to metaphors. It's has fun with little pokes here and there instead of sticking it right into the noir narration (which is more film noir than neo-noir this time around). There's a part that sticks out in my mind after a hostage trade goes awry where Max says "Great, now we've lost the wife and three million bucks" and 'lost the wife' is emphasized with the popup text and it made me go :smith:

I thought the retired cop Max keeps running into was a good and heart breaking parallel. Max could have been that guy instead if things had gone differently.

Edit:

Not quite finished with it yet but so far

CJacobs posted:

This video is really loving good and you should all watch it, thanks

Instruction Manuel fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Mar 26, 2018

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
:allbuttons:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i25CBfOUAUQ
High point being that the mod features Dontrel and Klurfs as enemies. :wtc:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Mordja posted:

:allbuttons:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i25CBfOUAUQ
High point being that the mod features Dontrel and Klurfs as enemies. :wtc:

Really putting the "Madness" in Doom Mod Madness this time around

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Arcsquad12 posted:

gently caress me. Brb reinstalling MP3

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I couldn't get into MP3. The combat felt nice but that 's all it had to offer. The designers saw Man on Fire and thought it was the greatest film ever (it is to be fair) but just...completely aped the style from it without understanding why Tony Scott did it. The cutscenes were overlong, overwritten, and it was nearly impossible to get into any kind of flow and you can forget replaying because the cutscenes are unskippable to mask load times. It's just kind of a miserable experience to be quite honest. Nothing pisses me off more than a game with a story that thinks it's waaaay better than it actually is.

So...any Rockstar game but this one especially.

Great music though. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEH_LSL4rVw

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I think my only issue with MP3 is the incessant hitching and stuttering if you play it in fullscreen. I've had different PC setups over the years and it's done it on all of them. Borderless windowed is perfectly fine but it doesn't play well with certain gsync/vsync modes. It's a technical mess.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Never had that problem personally. Game has run like a dream for me on pc since the day it came out and it's only gotten better over the years.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I've decided to start playing DUMP3 but I'm having trouble with the weapon pack. First time I played it, picking up weapons just made them disappear instead of getting added to my inventory, even the ones that spawn on the map. I tested without the pack, vanilla guns worked, added the pack back in, set it to the top of my load order and walked into the first level, and praise be, I was able to collect and use a bunch of new guns. But then I beat the map, walked through another portal and met with the same problem I had at the start. Is there a fix? :(

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I've always said Max Payne 3 is a bad Max Payne game, but would make a loving amazing Die Hard game.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

RyokoTK posted:

Agreedo that Max Payne 2 fuckin rules. Too bad that it's so short. At least Stranglehold was also good and somewhat similar.

I hated Stranglehold past the first level and seem to remember bouncing out of it on some labyrinthine docks level that ended with a super bullet spongy boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Stranglehold gets batshit hard around the third or fourth stage and because of that I've never finished it. Really fun though.