Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Orochi games are basically DW5 era games where enemies stunlock you and a single arrow from a bow completely stops your movement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Kingtheninja posted:

Never played an orochi game, are they the same as a warriors game but with all the franchises in one?

Just Dynasty and Samurai warriors and a few random characters from other Koei Tecmo games (like Ryu from Ninja Gaiden, Jeanne d'Arc from Bladestorm, etc.).

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Orochi is Warriors Smash Bros.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Kingtheninja posted:

Never played an orochi game, are they the same as a warriors game but with all the franchises in one?

What others said, also you pick three characters (they're given classes of sorts) and switch between them mid-fight when you want to.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
Hyrule Warriors just unlocked and it gets pretty drat choppy in portable mode. Definitely one to keep an eye on if you’re thinking of getting the western release.

Edit: it’s hardly Musou Stars levels of unplayable but it’s still a bit disappointing.

When it's docked it runs waaaay better - could really do with a 30fps cap option or a FEW style detail option as I think it could get to 60 a fair bit of the time if they scale it back a bit.

uiruki fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Mar 21, 2018

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Is it hard to believe there's people in China who still get salty about anything associated with Japan?

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Tae posted:

Orochi games are basically DW5 era games where enemies stunlock you and a single arrow from a bow completely stops your movement.

DW8XL is worse IMO. Siege weapons can juggle you to death and mooks will regularly smack you out of a combo.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

uiruki posted:

Hyrule Warriors just unlocked and it gets pretty drat choppy in portable mode. Definitely one to keep an eye on if you’re thinking of getting the western release.

Edit: it’s hardly Musou Stars levels of unplayable but it’s still a bit disappointing.

When it's docked it runs waaaay better - could really do with a 30fps cap option or a FEW style detail option as I think it could get to 60 a fair bit of the time if they scale it back a bit.

Anything has to be better than HW Legends. How does it compare to FEW in portable mode?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I'm not sure if this is the correct thread to talk about it, but I find the main plot of Attack on Titan 2 to be really goddamn funny. Because you play as Original Character Do Not Steal, who was always just slightly off-screen during every important moment in the series. It's just real goofy.

Other than that, the game doesn't seem to have a whole lot new compared to the first, but it's still pretty fun to play, so whatever. I like some of the new SUPER MOVES you can do eventually.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah

WilliamAnderson posted:

Anything has to be better than HW Legends. How does it compare to FEW in portable mode?

Going from memory it's less stable. I think the biggest issue is that it doesn't have a framerate cap so it's never smooth, and the realtime cutscenes are really stuttery. The start of level fly-by scenes and boss introductions in particular are quite poor.

I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up patching it a bit between now and Western release as there's a way bigger gap in performance between the two states than there usually is with Switch games. I'm not sure if it's 1080 when docked (running on a 4K TV makes it tricky to spot) but if it isn't then it's definitely close. I'd also like to see them increase the size of the font and interface when portable too, it's pretty tiny and since you can't rely on voices to work out what's happening on the map you do have to read a fair bit.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Every country has reactionary conservative types who get mad about stuff like that, and reactionary conservative types are more likely to care about downvoting random videos on the internet than most people.

Remarker
Feb 7, 2011

So when Dynasty Warriors 9 came out, I played a few hours and got the urge to to back and play a ton of old musou games I missed out on for various reasons. Currently I'm blazing through Dynasty Warriors 3, but I'd like to check out the Warriors Orochi series soon to help get hype for WO4.

Question tho: I've seen it said in this thread and elsewhere that Warriors Orochi 2 is actually more of a 1.5 than a full sequel. What exactly does that entail? Is all the content from WO1 included in WO2? Should I skip right to 2 or is it worth playing 1 first if I'm a sucker for experiencing everything available?

Remarker fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Mar 26, 2018

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Orochi 1 is the first game.
Orochi 2 is essentially the second chapter of Orochi 1. Same engine, same characters (with a few additions!), new missions. I think you can carry over some stuff from 1 if you have a save file, but I don't remember.

Orochi 1 and 2 got a PS3 and PC compilation called Orochi Z, and it featured some exclusive stand-alone missions. These missions were ported to the PSP version of Orochi 2. Since Z doesn't have an English version, you'll need to seek that out if you want the "full experience."

Remarker
Feb 7, 2011

Takoluka posted:

Orochi 1 is the first game.
Orochi 2 is essentially the second chapter of Orochi 1. Same engine, same characters (with a few additions!), new missions. I think you can carry over some stuff from 1 if you have a save file, but I don't remember.

Orochi 1 and 2 got a PS3 and PC compilation called Orochi Z, and it featured some exclusive stand-alone missions. These missions were ported to the PSP version of Orochi 2. Since Z doesn't have an English version, you'll need to seek that out if you want the "full experience."

Aha, sounds like it's worth playing both 1 and 2 then. I'm ok missing out on the PSP-only missions. I'm obsessive, but not THAT obsessive.

Thank you for the info!

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

You might end up seeking out those missions if you end up REALLY liking the Dream Missions of Orochi 2. You essentially get stand-alone stories with specially-made teams of three, which feature incredible groups like Ma Chao, Kanetsugu Naoe, and Nagamasa Azai screaming about justice and honor for an entire mission or Lu Bu, Tadakatsu Honda, and Keiji Maeda being the most powerful badasses ever, together. Like, the opening of that mission is "Get 100 kills and scare the everloving hell out of everybody to open the gates."

One of the exclusive missions is Da Ji freeing Orochi from his prison, which starts the whole series in the first place.

One other thing to note about the Orochi games: Orochi 1's difficulty is much higher than most Warriors games. Normal is about what you'd expect from Hard in other games, and Chaos will guarantee that you get 1-shot out of the door. I've died to single combos with maxed characters in Chaos. Orochi 2, on the other hand, is balanced in the opposite direction and is extremely easy. Chaos is between Warriors Normal and Hard, and there are a few weird implementations. Most notably, the default horse runs at Red Hare speed, and Red Hare is basically a motorcycle. There are also some things like broken infinites that got patched out for 2, but unless you really depended on them, you'll barely notice.

Orochi is probably my favorite game series ever, and I'll talk your ear off over it.

Remarker
Feb 7, 2011

Ok you just sold me on digging my busted old PSP out of storage in preparation for eventually hunting down a copy of WO2 for those bonus missions. I love these drat games.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Remarker posted:

Ok you just sold me on digging my busted old PSP out of storage in preparation for eventually hunting down a copy of WO2 for those bonus missions. I love these drat games.

My genuine suggestion is to play Orochi 2 on PS2/360 and then use a 100% save to play the extras on PSP. The grind to unlock all the missions can be a bit rough, and I wouldn't want you to do it twice. (This is coming from someone who has done this on PS2, 360, and PC Orochi Z.)

Remarker
Feb 7, 2011

I'm running through Dynasty Warriors 3 as Dian Wei right now. I just spent an hour in Seige of He Fei castle barely holding things together at zero morale as Wu officers kept smashing into our HQ. The tides were slowly starting to turn, but I must have ventured juuuuust enough out of Sima Yi's range for the morale penalty to kick in, because he dropped from full health to dead in like three seconds, and I lost.

Why does the game I love hate me so much

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Remarker posted:

I'm running through Dynasty Warriors 3 as Dian Wei right now. I just spent an hour in Seige of He Fei castle barely holding things together at zero morale as Wu officers kept smashing into our HQ. The tides were slowly starting to turn, but I must have ventured juuuuust enough out of Sima Yi's range for the morale penalty to kick in, because he dropped from full health to dead in like three seconds, and I lost.

A pain I am all too familiar with when it comes to that game (particularly at Chi Bi, Lu Bu vs Dong Zhuo) because your allies are invariably transformed into braindead cripples when they're out of render range. Topping it off, the enemy forces are also vastly superior in numbers meaning anyone you can't see just gets loving flattened faster than Yuan Shu after Lu Bu arrives at Hu Lao Gate. Absolutely loving infuriating turn of events, moreso if you're trying to get weapons/items on 3XL.

I do like the Wei """reinforcements""" you get at He Fei Castle though. Two sergeant blokes on horses and about 10 privates.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Remarker posted:

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

A pain I am all too familiar with when it comes to that game (particularly at Chi Bi, Lu Bu vs Dong Zhuo) because your allies are invariably transformed into braindead cripples when they're out of render range. Topping it off, the enemy forces are also vastly superior in numbers meaning anyone you can't see just gets loving flattened faster than Yuan Shu after Lu Bu arrives at Hu Lao Gate. Absolutely loving infuriating turn of events, moreso if you're trying to get weapons/items on 3XL.

I do like the Wei """reinforcements""" you get at He Fei Castle though. Two sergeant blokes on horses and about 10 privates.

I don't have anything to add to this other than the DW3 He Fei Castle Wei theme is the most kickin' rad music the series has ever done.

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Mar 26, 2018

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

ninjahedgehog posted:

I don't have anything to add to this other than the DW3 He Fei Castle Wei theme is the most kickin' rad music the series has ever done.

Link is super broken, but I assume you're referring to MEN OF INTELLIGENCE?

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Takoluka posted:

Fixed, and gently caress yeah.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

ninjahedgehog posted:

Takoluka posted:

drat right. Whenever there's the option, it's my go-to track for story-ending battles.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Which is immediately followed by Wu sending in their full forces and getting a morale boost.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

DW3 has some of the best songs in the entire series, and I repeatedly used Men of Intelligence in WO3U for my mission BGM. One of my all-time favorite songs is Sacred Ground, the music that plays in the Wu Zhang Plains fight. Terrible mission, amazing theme.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
The fact that DW3 isnt available on the PS4 should honestly be considered a criminal act and KT should face lengthy jail time.

Remarker
Feb 7, 2011

abagofcheetos posted:

The fact that DW3 isnt available on the PS4 should honestly be considered a criminal act and KT should face lengthy jail time.

For real, it is baffling to me that none of the PS2 musou games are downloadable on PS4.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Remarker posted:

For real, it is baffling to me that none of the PS2 musou games are downloadable on PS4.

They're waiting for Dynasty Warriors Legacy Edition, which will be Dynasty Warriors 4-5XL, with DW2-3XL as DLC.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Remarker posted:

I think it's probably a case where they put out a lot of PS2 downloadable games on the PS3 and didn't feel that the cost of porting all those games a second time to PS4 would be worth it/financially viable. I don't know about anyone else, but for me, the only PS2 games on PS4 I care about are the ones that didn't get re-released on the PS3 in some form.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Yeah, pretty much. Most of Sony's PS2-PS4 offerings are just old 1st/2nd party games like SIREN, the Jak and Daxter trilogy, or Primal.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I had a bad feeling about DW9 from the early trailers and gameplay videos. I even called it on the 'gonna be stuck traversing vast, empty, boring spaces like every developer's first try at open world sandbox' point. I avoided the thread a while just to resist temptation of dropping money on it anyway, because I have faithfully bought new iterations of DW and SW games since I first played & fell in love with the franchise with DW3 on ye olde PS2e. Something felt it was going to be very wrong with 9.
Saw the Jimquisition review today, and I feel like I gambled correctly. I'll probably eventually end up with it, but I'd rather it be during a release dry spell, and after the game has fallen the rest of the way into disgrace and ends up on Amazon for $20 at some point.

I am super loving stoked on WO4.

Tae posted:

That's how they start you out, but that's an early game problem that doesn't last that long at all. Unlocking items and developing / fusing weapons eventually eliminates arrows or other cheesy stunlockers from being a concern.

Remarker
Feb 7, 2011

FanaticalMilk posted:

I think it's probably a case where they put out a lot of PS2 downloadable games on the PS3 and didn't feel that the cost of porting all those games a second time to PS4 would be worth it/financially viable. I don't know about anyone else, but for me, the only PS2 games on PS4 I care about are the ones that didn't get re-released on the PS3 in some form.

Wait are some of the PS2 musou games available as PS3 downloads? Or by "they" did you mean Sony/publishers generally?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

5er posted:

That's how they start you out, but that's an early game problem that doesn't last that long at all. Unlocking items and developing / fusing weapons eventually eliminates arrows or other cheesy stunlockers from being a concern.

One of the mechanics of the SW cast is the ability to deflect projectiles. Could they still do that in Orochi? I never used it, but I wonder.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Remarker posted:

Wait are some of the PS2 musou games available as PS3 downloads? Or by "they" did you mean Sony/publishers generally?

Whelp, my memory was incorrect. It looks like most of the Musou games were released on PS3 on the Japanese store. But the American store only got a handful of Musou and Musou-adjacent games:

Kessen II & III
Dynasty Tactics 2
Nobunaga's Ambition: Rise to Power & Iron Triangle
Warriors Orochi
Crimson Sea 2
Mystic Heroes

The JP and/or EU Store got these:

Dynasty Warriors 2
Dynasty Warriors 3
Dynasty Warriors 4
Dynasty Warriors 4: Empires
Dynasty Warriors 5
Kessen
Samurai Warriors 2
Samurai Warriors 2: Empires
Warriors Orochi 2

So, it does look like there's a dearth of re-releases of the mainline Musou games in America.

If I didn't look this up, I would've assumed all those Musou games came to America as well, instead Koei Tecmo decided to bring over just about every game but.

Here's the wikipedia link I pulled everything from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_2_Classics_for_PlayStation_3

FanaticalMilk fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Mar 27, 2018

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I should play mystic heroes again, it's the game that got me into dynasty warriors

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Takoluka posted:

One of the mechanics of the SW cast is the ability to deflect projectiles. Could they still do that in Orochi? I never used it, but I wonder.

That I recalled, if you just buttonmashed at incoming projectiles, they'd deflect still. The ones that hit you from the side or behind when you're beating on mooks can interrupt your combos, and the worst is when you're just trying to run past archers / gunners and they really peel a chunk off your health, if you've picked a harder difficulty than maybe you should be.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Takoluka posted:

I think that mechanic was quietly retired by the time SW2 happened. I might be wrong by all means, but I certainly don't remember it being a thing in SW4-II.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

FanaticalMilk posted:

My interest is that it would be DW3, in high res, with an improved framerate. I guess I could gently caress with it on my computer but ehhhh

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh wow Crimson Sea, remember that. They should do a modern one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remarker
Feb 7, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Oh wow Crimson Sea, remember that. They should do a modern one.

Holy poo poo, I had 100% forgotten Crimson Sea