Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir_TaxALot
Jul 31, 2008
I used to name my computers like I named my balls, but then I started getting more than two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

You might want to see a doctor about that.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Delivery McGee posted:

I name all my computers after Royal Navy ships. At one point I had Conqueror, Bellerophon, Dreadnought, Victory, and Temeraire on the networks -- of which the wired one was named Nelson and the wifi was Jellicoe.

To be extra-nerdy, the names scaled based on how good the machine was, so the first-rates were the ones that could run Source engine games, the second-rates were the old poo poo, and I had a frigate (an Eeeepc) at one point.

Edit: Conqueror is the current PC, I suppose its replacement will be Rodney and the one after that will be King George V, and then I'll have to start reusing names like the RN did. The current one is named after 1911 Conqueror, there was also one built in 1939, sister ship of Lion and yet another Temeraire.

If I have King George V and Rodney at the same time, I will rename my wifi to "gently caress the Bismarck".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1Ufc2hI4FM

I guess this post counts double, because battleships are obsolete too.

Speaking of, I pulled my old s939 4400+ system out of the shed hoping to play old games. It's dead, lovely mobo caps - it's the last of my s939 boards and the worst of them quality/performance wise so it's not worth recapping again.
I figured it was time to upgrade my main am3/1090t system anyway, as win 10 and even the latest mint distro hates it's lovely old 5770 GPU. So I do a test install on it with XP to play my old games (don't have a DVD any more so I'm running off isos, mdf and daa files with power iso and other virtual drives from the old hdd out of the s939 system)

Silent hunter 3 can't patch and run off th image for some reason, and my only hope is downloading the game off steam or whatever for a new copy as I haven't found any :files: version that works.
No way I want to connect a win xp box to the net to download a new paid for copy direct so I'm screwed. Can't use win7 licence as I want that for whatever new PC I build, plus the point of the system was playing old games with my old GPU on XP.

gently caress it, going to make more moonshine as a hobby.

Fo3 has a new favorite as of 15:57 on Mar 23, 2018

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Some people here must have heard about the Pippin. Here's an article about it:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/03/the-mac-gaming-console-time-has-forgot/

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Probably much better videos of these, but they're clever. Rose engines are geometric lathes, capable of cutting very detailed geometric / flowered / other patterns into material.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXjrq4DWtIA

As used by Fabergé.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Geoj posted:

This is actually shockingly common in military applications. Partly budgetary constraints, partly "if its not broken don't fix it" and partly "some old hardware is more reliable than new."

For instance, the Space Shuttle (as of its last mission) and the ISS were/are run by 386 systems.

Going back a bit, but this is actually a really good idea if you think about it. As any retro PC gamer knows, many games are unplayable on modern processors because they weren't written to be cycle locked and as a result they run at insane speeds. Now, imagine that happening with the software used to time an attitudinal adjustment.

Obsolete technology can obsolete software too. The best example may be the microscope puzzle in The 7th Guest, where you play a game against an AI. The AI is coded to think about each move for exactly one second. Even in 1993 there was an obvious difficulty difference between minimum spec and ninja PCs, but on modern processors the puzzle becomes unbeatable because the AI is able to explore the entire game space with every single move.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Jedit posted:

Going back a bit, but this is actually a really good idea if you think about it. As any retro PC gamer knows, many games are unplayable on modern processors because they weren't written to be cycle locked and as a result they run at insane speeds. Now, imagine that happening with the software used to time an attitudinal adjustment.

Obsolete technology can obsolete software too. The best example may be the microscope puzzle in The 7th Guest, where you play a game against an AI. The AI is coded to think about each move for exactly one second. Even in 1993 there was an obvious difficulty difference between minimum spec and ninja PCs, but on modern processors the puzzle becomes unbeatable because the AI is able to explore the entire game space with every single move.

Wait, if you have less, things were easier for you?

It's inverse Capitalism!

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

shovelbum posted:

Why not just the IT version of "Diesel Generator #1" which is human readable, professional, doesn't open you up to any liability for names from a problematic media franchise, etc

Because the rest of an IT job is soul-crushing enough, being the precise intersection between humans and realizing that all human work is automatable. You can, working in this industry, feel the future grinding at your own existence and without the ability to inject at least a little fun a normal person goes soul-sick very fast.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

It's 2018 and updating video drivers still causes it to flash to 1980's postage stamp resolution for a quarter second and rearrange all my desktop icons :argh:

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Arrath posted:

It's 2018 and updating video drivers still causes it to flash to 1980's postage stamp resolution for a quarter second and rearrange all my desktop icons :argh:

I don't get that, #amd?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I don't get that, #amd?

Yeah, I'm that idiot.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

updating my nvidia drivers always resets which monitor is #1 and which is #2

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

boar guy posted:

updating my nvidia drivers always resets which monitor is #1 and which is #2

I don't have THAT problem. My issue is that it moves all the open applications I have just like I like them from the side screen to the main screen, so then I have to put it all back.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
My only beef with nvidia is that the easiest way to keep their drivers up to date is bloated as all get out, with integrated advertisements and an opt-out overlay.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Arrath posted:

Why in the bleeding gently caress does this even happen, anyways?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

ryonguy posted:

Why in the bleeding gently caress does this even happen, anyways?

the operating sytstem making GBS threads itself at having icons outisde the new, super tiny, desktop space?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Volcott posted:

My only beef with nvidia is that the easiest way to keep their drivers up to date is bloated as all get out, with integrated advertisements and an opt-out overlay.

That loving sucks TBH.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I miss that short period of time when the steam client had a button to update your video drivers for you.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I thought I’d be hot poo poo and buy a cheap console server for my Cisco lab so I could console into each switch or router from one source. The one I got even has a virtual SSH terminal inside it’s control panel and I spent HOURS trying to get it to work because the fucker runs off Java. Not Javascript, Java.

It would’ve been quicker, but I reversed an IP octet in my site exceptions list while I was shutting down a big chunk of my browser security. Using anything with Java in TYOOL 2018 is akin to using IE6 to open an .exe attachment from your Hotmail account

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Nothing like having a VM just to have Java and ASDM.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Java is the worst loving thing.

A piece of software I use at work, that does system integrations, runs off of Java. The IDE for building integration workflows for it does as well. The server side runs fine if a little RAM-heavy, but holy living gently caress the IDE is a resource hog. It grinds my otherwise decent work laptop to 386 speeds when it runs.

Thankfully we're getting much, much higher spec laptops soon for a new project, so I'm hoping I finally have a system capable of running this thing decently.

[it doesn't help that my IT people insist on McAfee for antivirus, which itself is resource-destroying trash, on top of a bunch of stuff they force us to install]

Furnok Dorn
Mar 30, 2004
SOCIALLY WORTHLESS SHUT-IN NERD

GreenNight posted:

Nothing like having a VM just to have Java and ASDM.

:(

just i know, and

:(

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Is there anything done with Java that is worthwhile?
I don't know anything about coding and poo poo but every time i have to use some piece of Software for work and i notice it uses Java i know its time to take a break and come back later when it sorted itself out. Is it just impossible to do decent software with Java or just really hard so no one bothers?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Shai-Hulud posted:

I don't know anything about coding and poo poo but every time i have to use some piece of Software for work and i notice it uses Java i know its time to take a break and come back later when it sorted itself out. Is it just impossible to do decent software with Java or just really hard so no one bothers?

Well, there is an app for sorting/naming video collections and grabbing subtitles done is Java which is pretty useful called Filebot. Yup. That's all I got.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Minecraft is java-based, I think.

Cable TV set top boxes with DVR functionality I've had in the past use Java, and would take about ten minutes to do a hard reboot. Ten loving minutes.

Also have worked in a call center before, the main application used Java within an Internet Explorer 6.0 wrapper in 2016. That was a special hell.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Yeah. The origin of Minecraft was basically Notch going "I wonder if I can make a Java 3d engine from scratch..."

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Shai-Hulud posted:

Universal Media Server, previously known as PS3 Media Server.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Trans-LoafWithTail posted:

Minecraft is java-based, I think.

Which is why it runs like absolute poo poo.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

KozmoNaut posted:

Which is why it runs like absolute poo poo.

it is absolute poo poo, but that running in browser back in the day was pretty interesting. thought it would have gone away long ago, because the vanilla game is garbage, alas 10y/o's contributed to the worst kind of neckbeard becoming and ultra-wealth.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Shai-Hulud posted:

jdownloader2 seems ok, I guess?

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

I don't think Java applications are always horrible. Eclipse is a decent, open-source development environment. It can be a bit slow but so can Visual Studio.

Applets (the things that run in your browser) need to die though. It seems like we went from the Java plugin being a huge security problem to being something that forbids you from doing everything you need it to in the interests of security. We have so much stuff in our lab like Dell servers and random KVMs that have Java applets that are much easier to run with some old Java plugin that has security vulnerabilities than with anything new and safe. These devices could just let you connect using some standard protocol but instead force you to use the applets.

To be fair, Dell servers do give you another choice: ActiveX :negative:

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

Buttcoin purse posted:

These devices could just let you connect using some standard protocol but instead force you to use the applets.

To be fair, Dell servers do give you another choice: ActiveX :negative:

The Dell stuff I've used for remote consoles is Java "web start", where it download a Java applet-ish sandboxed thing rather than it being an in-browser applet. This at least avoids the terrible mess that is browser plug-ins :)

And some of the ports used are standard VNC ports but I believe it layers some additional incompatibilities on top of that. Agreed that it would be approx 1 million times better if it just used standard VNC, or they published their extensions for others to implement.

Be glad you don't work at a university where they have a lot of in-browser Java applet junk for legacy apps, which modern browsers really tend not to like at all...

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Keiya posted:

That's how you end up with "emailserver" running the test version of your web site, "newemailserver" being bulk storage, and "realemailserver" being the email server... for now

Not if you create a proper DNS name, like "prodsql01", you can point that to whatever is the most recent, actual SQL Server Database in the Production environment, even if you upgrade or switch to another physical server or version.

Clever names based on Star Wars or animal names suck. Name it "prodsql01", "email01", "app01" or whatever, load balance or otherwise redirect the name, and it can point to whatever is actually behind it.

Arrath posted:

Look at the sucker filling up his desktop with icons. How's that for obsolete technology. This is something that bothered me back in 1999. Just use the start menu, and if you're on terrible Windows 8+ or 10, install Classic Shell to have a usable start menu, void of Candy Crush and clickbait news links.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Windows 8 has a great start menu, people are just babies about it.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

DoctorWhat posted:

Windows 8 has a great start menu, people are just babies about it.

Windows 8 doesn't even have a start menu.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Yes it does, it's just fullscreen. Which makes sense because the classic start menu locked you out of the desktop anyway so who cares?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I cared because it was also the splash screen instead of a desktop per default

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Pilsner posted:

Look at the sucker filling up his desktop with icons. How's that for obsolete technology. This is something that bothered me back in 1999. Just use the start menu, and if you're on terrible Windows 8+ or 10, install Classic Shell to have a usable start menu, void of Candy Crush and clickbait news links.

You can delete whatever icons/tiles you have there at least under 10. I'm no fan of MS pushing their poo poo on me, but I've had this problem with every windows I used/.

Also the desktop is the worst place to put your shortcuts to.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Yes the desktop is a terrible place to store shortcuts and files, but it’s MY terrible place to store shortcuts and files.

People like having some control over a particular part of their OS. It’d be like Apple deciding the order of your apps and your wallpaper. No ones going to like it even if it’s more efficient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
1: Hit Windows key on keyboard
2: Type in a couple of letters of whatever you want to do
3: Hit Enter key

Who the gently caress cares about start menus any more?