Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Shadowlyger posted:

Because at some point it encourages you to get rid of all of your cyborgs, which are the whole point of playing assimilators.

Well, this and the other arguments make only sense if you're a robot yourself. Who gives a poo poo what is mathematically better, this is still dumb. There is now at least one player who will simply stop playing assimilators, which is sad.

From my viewpoint, this looks like another change for the worse, like the death of warp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
The Assassination of Assimilators By The Coward Martin Anward

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Libluini posted:

From my viewpoint, this looks like another change for the worse, like the death of warp.

Perfect quality change confirmed.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Can confirm; I ended up playing my Driven Assimilators as basically a machine empire with a free Total War CB and the ability for organics to live in sectors. I machined up all my core planets and carted my domestic cyborgs off to a ringworld I found.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
To be fair, I had already stopped playing assimilators as soon as someone in this thread posted a link to a mod allowing peaceful coexistence with organics. No pampering, no borgification, just the ability to take in some random aliens without displacing, killing or otherwise harming them. Just what I wanted.

This really strange decision that assimilators suddenly aren't allowed to have machine worlds just confirms that standard machine empires are the best empires (with 1-2 mods to neutralize the bad parts)

Libluini fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Mar 26, 2018

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Libluini posted:

Well, this and the other arguments make only sense if you're a robot yourself. Who gives a poo poo what is mathematically better, this is still dumb. There is now at least one player who will simply stop playing assimilators, which is sad.

Literally the entire point of Assimilators is to add their biological distinction to your technological superiority, if there's no actual benefit to doing that then the whole thing doesn't make any sense. The core conceit is pointless.

There's nothing "strange" about this decision, there's a very clear cause and effect.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
In a way I'm going to miss the starvation death spiral now that it has actually been patched out - had a great game over the weekend I'm still trying to finish where two larger states somehow got stuck in the loop and balkanized the the poo poo out of a large swath of space. Led to some interesting diplomacy and wars as me and two large neighbours fought over all the little rump states that popped up.

At the same time it'll be nice that I no longer need to closely babysit all my allies and vassal to make sure they're eating properly.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I'm happy that there's now mechanical incentives to play a "good" slaver society.

Thread title still relevant.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
Still sticking with Auth, Phobes and Spir should suck, and it should suck to be them. Thread title still lol.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Captain Oblivious posted:

Literally the entire point of Assimilators is to add their biological distinction to your technological superiority, if there's no actual benefit to doing that then the whole thing doesn't make any sense. The core conceit is pointless.

There's nothing "strange" about this decision, there's a very clear cause and effect.

I played assimilators differently, chosing to see assimilation as a tool to integrate weak organics into the empire to make them stronger. Now, if only one viewpoint, one single lore interpretation is correct, why even give your players a choice? And if there is more than one right way to play assimilators, this change is dumb and wrong. :colbert:

Anyway, a far better solution would have been to give cyborgs of an assimilator empire additional bonuses if put on a machine planet.

Edit: I really wish my phone's autocorrect wouldn't be so stupid.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Mar 26, 2018

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Libluini posted:

I played assimilators differently, chosing to see assimilation as a tool to integrate weak organics into the empire to make them stronger. Now, if only one viewpoint, one single lore interpretation is correct, why even give your players a choice? And if there is more than one right way to play assimilators, this change is dumb and wrong. :colbert:

Anyway, a far better solution would have been to give cyborgs of an assimilator empire additional bonuses if put on a machine planet.

Edit: I really wish my phone's autocorrect wouldn't be so stupid.

And it's fine that you've imagined that thing, but that's explicitly not what the civic describes or what the gameplay is pointing towards. Assimilation is not a singular tool, it's THE driving ambition.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Alternative solution: let cyborgs live on machine planets. The machine empire specific perks are already pretty bad, don't make them worse.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Captain Oblivious posted:

And it's fine that you've imagined that thing, but that's explicitly not what the civic describes or what the gameplay is pointing towards. Assimilation is not a singular tool, it's THE driving ambition.

Yeah, I refer to the post right on top of your last one. I simply grew tired fighting the devs and stopped playing assimilators. Doesn't mean I agree, I still think this change is dumb. And no, the civic doesn't say "We only pretend to be machines. Flesh is awesome!"

Maybe the devs changed the text while I wasn't looking? :v:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

hobbesmaster posted:

Alternative solution: let cyborgs live on machine planets. The machine empire specific perks are already pretty bad, don't make them worse.

Wait, they can't even live on them? :psyduck:

So assimilator-cyborgs are so mechanized they don't even need food, but machine planets are off-limits? This is even stupider then I thought -I just assumed cyborgs would be worse then robots when put on a machine world.

Man, now I feel really glad I abandoned all my old assimilator-runs, because this bullshit would have taken out all the fun if I had played long enough to discover this. :argh:

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Is there any way to build additional construction ships in a sector? With as slow as travel time is, it takes decades for a new sector to build mining stations everywhere. It doesn't help that they will go back and forth from one end of their sector to the next, constantly changing what system they are working in.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

binge crotching posted:

Is there any way to build additional construction ships in a sector? With as slow as travel time is, it takes decades for a new sector to build mining stations everywhere. It doesn't help that they will go back and forth from one end of their sector to the next, constantly changing what system they are working in.

Protip: You can have your own constructors assist a sector. Every station your normal constructors build inside a sector will automatically become a part of it.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Is there any way to compare my fleet power to a federation? There’s a big federation mext to my Devouring Swarm that I should get to consuming, but can’t tell how much of my fleet I should stick on that side of my empire for the fight. Each one individually is pathetic or inferior, but I want to make sure I can really take a bite out of them before I commit.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

as a devouring swarm, you should make use of your other biological senses for this determination, like taste

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

So I was playing some MP with some friends and we formed a federation once the Great Khan events started kicking off. I found out that if you have a Driven Assimilator in the Federation, if you have the Driven Assimilator declare an Assimilation War, other people just take systems too, even if they are not also assimilators. It was nice to not need claims all of a sudden :shepface:

Also that was my first time fighting the Great Khan, it was awesome, but a little crazy that they were that powerful. At one point we were staring down 10ish fleets of 22k power each, when my two allies each had maybe 15k each when their fleets were fully combined, and I had a 30k and our Federation fleet of ~10k. We knocked the Khan off once and we were starting to lose some fringe systems because we had to concentrate our forces to try to protect the one guy's core worlds. The Khan and three other fleets were one jump away when the Khan got offed by a concubine in his bedchambers. It was a crazy fight with an anti-climactic end, but we were glad the onslaught was over.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Libluini posted:

Wait, they can't even live on them? :psyduck:

So assimilator-cyborgs are so mechanized they don't even need food, but machine planets are off-limits? This is even stupider then I thought -I just assumed cyborgs would be worse then robots when put on a machine world.

Man, now I feel really glad I abandoned all my old assimilator-runs, because this bullshit would have taken out all the fun if I had played long enough to discover this. :argh:

cyborgs were still better than robots on habitats, so i used to build a bunch of habitats and evacuate them there while replacing them with robots on machine worlds

this change just means that your pops are going to be mostly-cyborg for the entire game now instead of transitioning into a different playstyle when machine worlds unlocked. which kinda sucks, but the process of cyborg evacuation was pretty drat tedious, so i can understand if they don't want to incentivize that. modding the perk to re-allow assimilators is dead easy so if you want to play that way, there will probably be a mod available soon.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Libluini posted:

Yes. It was a hell of a shock when my first Machine Worlds completed in my assimilator playthrough.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
The Devouring Swarm changes (-50% outpost influence cost, -25% ship costs, up from -15%) are excellent and a nice buff to what was the weakest of the badboi civics. Might actually try a game with them now.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I read the patch notes but didn't notice anything about the ideology CB breaking up federations and eliminating claims like a dev was mentioning, I thought that was coming in this patch.

Oh it was in the LAST patch
Forcing an empire to adopt your ideology will now also pull them out of any Federation they are part of, and revoke all their claims on you and your Federation allies and subjects

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Mar 26, 2018

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

GotLag posted:

Rogue Servitors are less The Culture and more what you'd get if you made robots that obeyed the three laws to the letter.

Rogue Servitors are what you get when the robots decide that they need to protect us from the Terrible Secret of Space.

DatonKallandor posted:

I'm pretty sure they're also more accurate, so they're still the superior anti-corvette weapon.

The fact that they did 100% damage to shields and had bonus damage to hull made them categorically better than railguns in almost every way as an S mount weapon.

The fact that they also have 75% tracking makes them mandatory anti-corvette counters, but also means that corvettes using them will almost always hit anything bigger than a corvette with them.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I think if ships in battle moved slower or battles were a lot faster range might be worthwhile as a weapon stat. I still wish battles were more abstracted like in other paradox games and you'd get a little chart showing the long range phase, the mid range phase, the close range phase and so on and admirals being able to roll tactics and counter-tactics based on their skills. The actual real time battles don't even look like anything, just a ball of overlapping identical ship models having a disco rave.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

So I was playing some MP with some friends and we formed a federation once the Great Khan events started kicking off. I found out that if you have a Driven Assimilator in the Federation, if you have the Driven Assimilator declare an Assimilation War, other people just take systems too, even if they are not also assimilators. It was nice to not need claims all of a sudden :shepface:

Also that was my first time fighting the Great Khan, it was awesome, but a little crazy that they were that powerful. At one point we were staring down 10ish fleets of 22k power each, when my two allies each had maybe 15k each when their fleets were fully combined, and I had a 30k and our Federation fleet of ~10k. We knocked the Khan off once and we were starting to lose some fringe systems because we had to concentrate our forces to try to protect the one guy's core worlds. The Khan and three other fleets were one jump away when the Khan got offed by a concubine in his bedchambers. It was a crazy fight with an anti-climactic end, but we were glad the onslaught was over.

fuuuuck the khan

I made the very foolish mistake of having about 30k fleet power and a 3 system marauder enclave within my boarders. Tried to clean them up, spawned the Great Khan event, lost about half my empire.

Was worth it in the end though! Turns out 50k fleet power of torpedo armour corvettes is a) incredibly effective, b) incredibly fast to build. Managed to nab a black hole system with three(!) free shipyards.

Now I'm facing down a federation that has half the map under their control, I have about a quarter, and the remainder is some wimpy pacifists that hate me and some genocidal purifiers and decimators. Wish I could change away from my xenophobia though, because giving every anti-federation rebel system that pops up a research agreement, about 5k energy and minerals, and protectorate status if they're close enough is a lot of fun.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Baronjutter posted:

I think if ships in battle moved slower or battles were a lot faster range might be worthwhile as a weapon stat. I still wish battles were more abstracted like in other paradox games and you'd get a little chart showing the long range phase, the mid range phase, the close range phase and so on and admirals being able to roll tactics and counter-tactics based on their skills. The actual real time battles don't even look like anything, just a ball of overlapping identical ship models having a disco rave.
Yeah and the lack of any control once the battle is joined is still annoying. In a battle with multiple Khan fleets, my fleets would often ignore the last Galleon and move on to crushing other Corvettes, Destroyers, and Cruisers. In doing so, my battleships would fly up next to the remaining Galleon from the first fleet to engage a newly arrived fleet. This took my battleships from taking no damage to getting destroyed, rapidly. It really sucks that there is no way to tell them "stay x distance away from enemy ships and actually move away if they get closer than that range".

Early on in games I like making fleets of 20 Swarm corvettes and 10 PD/Picket corvettes; I use the Picket computer on all of them in the hopes that they will stay at range when attacking basic starbases, since they shoot missiles the PD will shoot down the missiles. But when they get too close, because they do not try to respect range or ever play keep away, they just fly in close and get shot by the missiles before the PD can shoot the missiles down (because the missiles are only airborn for a split second before they reach a Corvette).

2.0.2 is Game Gud, but the combat still needs love.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

range is valuable for L weapons and missiles. a battleship that outranges the enemy's battleships can dish out fire and take none in return as the enemy is forced to try to shoot down corvettes instead because they're the only valid target

stellaris combat has a lot of nuance and there are very few bonuses that are worthless right now, have you ever slowed down to slow or very slow and watched a lategame battle? early on, you kind of just bash corvette swarms into enemy corvette swarms and yeah there's no real strategy to that except in picking appropriate weapons for your corvettes. later, there is a lot more going on when it comes to positioning. if ships moving too fast in battle is an issue with you being able to use weapon range, that indicates to me that maybe your corvette swarm is not holding off the enemy corvettes sufficiently. or, you only use corvettes? i think i remember you posting about using corvette swarms. those are not what you want to use if you like putting thought into how you're fighting, even though they're very low-effort and effective.

patch notes posted:

Habitats now cost 200 influence each

this change is a killer, that's an awful lot of influence for a size 12 planet and i say this as someone who really likes habitats

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Jazerus posted:

this change is a killer, that's an awful lot of influence for a size 12 planet and i say this as someone who really likes habitats
I will never be using them again if this stays. I already thought they were mediocre at best, but requiring tech and then an Ascension perk for the ability to build a size 12 planet for an incredible amount of minerals and time just doesnt seem worth it when I could take some of the other great bonuses out there. I *might* be okay with it if they removed the Ascension Perk requirement and added a tech for it. Even then though that is an incredible amount of influence. Make it 100 or 150 influence and add an Energy and/or Food cost.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Does the range mod on stations do anything yet?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

OwlFancier posted:

Does the range mod on stations do anything yet?
I believe this was fixed with a recent beta patch (I think I remember seeing a post by Wiz about how the range calculations are complex and not all in one place in the code so fixing it was really hard).

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

For 200 influence I'm probably never building another habitat.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

binge crotching posted:

It makes sense if you assume pacifists didn't have another influence dump, seeing as they can't make claims. Does mean no-one aside from them will build them in the future though.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
In the middle of my first game right now.

The most annoying issue I've encountered so far is that ships in a federation fleet want to upgrade to whatever design was last edited in the federation ship manager for that class. Naturally this causes problems with wanting different kinds of federation fleet loadouts. Also the AI upgrading when new tech comes out inevitably means all the ships will end up the same class.

Other than that I'm really enjoying the game. Note that I only purchased it since the 2.0.2 beta patch has been around so I'm using that.

Inverness fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 26, 2018

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

binge crotching posted:

:emptyquote:

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Playstation 4 posted:

Still sticking with Auth, Phobes and Spir should suck, and it should suck to be them. Thread title still lol.

Phobes, maybe. Why Spiritual? Does Psi not entertain you or something?

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
Yeah i dont get the 200 inf change for habs. They're basically worthless now with ringworlds easier to get

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

My autocannons :cry:

Seems fair really, as far as I can tell there is no reason not to use them in S slots.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Quit nerfing habitats :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I think habs were a mistake, and I say this as guy who desperately wants a realistic space empire builder where planets are mostly useless and everyone realistically lives in space colonies. A big design point of Stellaris was that you'd never get to the point where every planet is colonizable, but habs basically do this by letting you essentially convert every single non-moon non-asteroid planet into a size 12 habitable planet.

If Stellaris had a pop/economic model where colonization was done on a system-wide basis, habs could just be extra slots for the overall population of the system. But with the dumb tile system and various flat per-planet penalties habitats just feel messy and poorly balanced. I also feel like I'm not using the tech to its fullest if I don't end up building a habitat over every single planet I possibly can and I don't want to play a game where I need to build and manage 200 habitats.

It also just doesn't make any sense from an internal-consistency point of view. If I've already built all the possible mining stations in a star system what are the mining bays on my habitat mining? Why can't I just build more mining stations in orbit? Why can't I just build 12 more energy stations around my sun instead of a size 12 habitat covered in solar collectors? It all falls apart consistency wise because the entire economy and pop and tile system vs orbital resources might work for some specific game design mechanics but they don't make a lick of sense which leads to increasingly contrived feeling restrictions.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Mar 26, 2018