Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Taken down, my good man. Cliff notes?

Related note, I wish the Schmitts Gay Beer ad was still up, it's funny as hell.

It wasn't taken down; I'm watching it right now!

It's basically a fake Italian show, Bill Hader is the host, Vinny Vedecci, talking to Shia Labeouf, whom he mistakenly assumes is transsexual, because of him staring in Transformers. :geno:

Edit: still watching various SNL bits, one where Penn of Penn & Teller tell Doug Henning: "First of all Doug, as a friend, as a fellow magician, I'll give you a little piece of advice: it's 1986, get a hair cut."

Absurd Alhazred has a new favorite as of 02:58 on Mar 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It wasn't taken down; I'm watching it right now!

It's basically a fake Italian show, Bill Hader is the host, Vinny Vedecci, talking to Shia Labeouf, whom he mistakenly assumes is transsexual, because of him staring in Transformers. :geno:

Edit: still watching various SNL bits, one where Penn of Penn & Teller tell Doug Henning: "First of all Doug, as a friend, as a fellow magician, I'll give you a little piece of advice: it's 1986, get a hair cut."

"ARE WE LIVE!"

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
There's literally nothing wrong with camp.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Davros1 posted:

"ARE WE LIVE!"

One of those segments you just have to watch twice. I miss when P&T were fun rather than smugbertarians.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Volcott posted:

There's literally nothing wrong with camp.

Everyone thinks this til the very moment Jason Voorhees turns up.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

SiKboy posted:

Everyone thinks this til the very moment Jason Voorhees turns up.

Pssh. Jason Voorhees is just a legend to scare out of towners. Now where's my beer and marijuana?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
A summer camp run by movie monsters would be pretty fun, in a Addam's Family kind of way - Freddy Kreuger teaches Metal and Leather work and does talks on Jungian psychology, Jason makes those sculptures from chainsawing a Log etc. Eddie Scissorhands can come and do the landscaping. He's not a monster of course, but he needs friends.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

BioEnchanted posted:

A summer camp run by movie monsters would be pretty fun, in a Addam's Family kind of way - Freddy Kreuger teaches Metal and Leather work and does talks on Jungian psychology, Jason makes those sculptures from chainsawing a Log etc. Eddie Scissorhands can come and do the landscaping. He's not a monster of course, but he needs friends.

Leatherface can teach tool shop, and meat prep!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

BioEnchanted posted:

I think you just created a future Hotel Transylvania spin off.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Twitch is currently running a Mister Rogers marathon and just got into the color episodes. There are moments from 1968 that are absolutely inappropriate in 2018, a stand-out being Fred bringing in and wearing some Native American garb and showing Boy Scouts doing an “Indian dance.” From a contemporary standpoint he was being respectful (notably he doesn’t talk about it in past tense and points out a headdress has to be earned) but it’s tough to explain that nuance to young folks in chat (obvious trolls and assholes notwithstanding who like to throw “triggered” around and pretend the “SJW’s” are upset every time the original “Fancy” gets sung).

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Eesh, just wait until he gets to the colour purple. :v:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaS2ULUZWvg

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

BioEnchanted posted:

I'm reminded of Roger Ebert's review of Halloween H20.

Roger Ebert posted:

How does Michael Myers support himself in the long years between his slashing outbreaks? I picture him working in a fast-food joint. “He never spoke much, but boy, could he dice those onions!” I have often wondered why we hate mimes so much. Many people have such an irrational dislike for them that they will cross the street rather than watch some guy in whiteface pretending to sew his hands together. Examining Michael Myers' makeup in “Halloween: H20,” I realized he looks so much like Marcel Marceau as to make no difference. Maybe he is a mime when he's not slashing.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Uh, Rog, you do realize that's a mask right?

Unrelated, my mom had on Marci X today, a movie whose entire existence is deliberately embarassing. But one joke from this 15 year old movie aged in a completely unexpected way. At a fancy gala with a charity auction, the first item up for bid is a date with Donald Trump. The room falls pindrop silent.

lamey_whinehouse
Jul 5, 2007

by Smythe
So this isn't really an old episode I'm watching, but I'm currently watching a season 16 L&O:SVU episode (which, i should know better, but it's trashy Sunday afternoon background noise while i clean the house).

This episode deals with a girl who was gang raped at a frat party (why do people still send their kids to Hudson University?), but the main focus seems to be making fun of the professor criticizing "rape culture". Why are ya'll lampooning the character for speaking on topics your show's protagonists are ostensibly against? It just really rubs me the wrong way.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

lamey_whinehouse posted:

So this isn't really an old episode I'm watching, but I'm currently watching a season 16 L&O:SVU episode (which, i should know better, but it's trashy Sunday afternoon background noise while i clean the house).

This episode deals with a girl who was gang raped at a frat party (why do people still send their kids to Hudson University?), but the main focus seems to be making fun of the professor criticizing "rape culture". Why are ya'll lampooning the character for speaking on topics your show's protagonists are ostensibly against? It just really rubs me the wrong way.

It’s weird, too, since the first season had an episode about schools trying to cover up rape investigations with “internal investigations” and the like.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

lamey_whinehouse posted:

If people don't rape anymore the SVU investigators will no longer have jobs.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Taken down, my good man. Cliff notes?

Related note, I wish the Schmitts Gay Beer ad was still up, it's funny as hell.
Not as good as this one: https://www.hulu.com/watch/273982

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

HOW

did anyone think this is okay?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
You can't have repercussions for mocking a race if you've eradicated it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

FactsAreUseless posted:

HOW

Political Correctness hadn't been invented yet?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Sad thing is that's pretty much 99% of the representation Native Americans got or seem to ever get. When the stereotypes became distasteful it seems like they disappeared from media. About the only non-stereotypical Native American I can think of on a mainstream show is John Redcorn, and even he still parodies elements of the stereotype.

Also surprised that a lot of Americans seem genuinely under the impression that native Americans are extinct.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Of course they're not extinct. We will always have Chief Wahoo in our hearts and minds.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Hell, I see more First Nations culture in Civilization V and Scion. Figures that video games and pen and paper RPGs put far more effort into diversity and portraying oppressed minorities than television.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

The teacher in the saved but the Bell was like "Zach you're racist!" But then Zach went to go talk to a real Native American so when he did another report it wasn't racist. Even though I'm almost positive he was still wearing headgear and poo poo. (Either way it was definitely still racist)

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
And if I'm remembering correctly the presentation was the students talking about their family backgrounds, so it's actually not as bad as it seems. I think he even talks a little bit about the headdress and why it's important. To really get a bad image, find screencaps of him doing the first version of his presentation with Screech dressed up like Chief Wahoo complete with tomahawk...

Also, Jesse the "liberal one" found out her family owned slaves.

Why do I remember this poo poo...

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Inescapable Duck posted:

Sad thing is that's pretty much 99% of the representation Native Americans got or seem to ever get. When the stereotypes became distasteful it seems like they disappeared from media. About the only non-stereotypical Native American I can think of on a mainstream show is John Redcorn, and even he still parodies elements of the stereotype.

Also surprised that a lot of Americans seem genuinely under the impression that native Americans are extinct.

Most of the minorities in America live primarily in the cities, and especially big cities like New York and LA, this is also where the media is centered. Native Americans unlike almost every other minority in this country live mainly in the rural areas of the country. And not the cool rural areas too, like the Napa Valley or the Berkshires. Like, South Dakota and Eastern Washington State, the places that the media executives would not be caught dead in. So the only exposure the people in charge of the media have to Native culture is through media and the only natives in media are from back when the Western was the most popular genre in America and having native characters in those movies was unavoidable.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

FactsAreUseless posted:

HOW

Ehehe.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Inescapable Duck posted:

Northern Exposure. That was totally mainstream.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Longmire and Banshee have Native American representation. Kimmy Schmidt too if you don't mind one of the jokes.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
Corner Gas.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Most of the minorities in America live primarily in the cities, and especially big cities like New York and LA, this is also where the media is centered. Native Americans unlike almost every other minority in this country live mainly in the rural areas of the country. And not the cool rural areas too, like the Napa Valley or the Berkshires. Like, South Dakota and Eastern Washington State, the places that the media executives would not be caught dead in. So the only exposure the people in charge of the media have to Native culture is through media and the only natives in media are from back when the Western was the most popular genre in America and having native characters in those movies was unavoidable.

The irony is people in the cities romanticize Native Americans where as people who deal with them every day can't stand them.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Krispy Wafer posted:

The irony is people in the cities romanticize Native Americans where as people who deal with them every day can't stand them.

I wouldn't call that irony. Irony is something unexpected. An amusing surprise. White people from South Dakota are racist is not a surprise.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Krispy Wafer posted:

Didn't know Andrew Jackson was a goon

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Samuringa posted:

You can't have repercussions for mocking a race if you've eradicated it.

Looks like its a job for...

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

purple death ray posted:

Didn't know Andrew Jackson was a goon

Not saying it's a good thing.

The reasons are pretty similar to why Indians were pushed out of the East Coast. Competition for land and resources and good ol'racism. It's just now there's no place further west you can push them.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

big cummers ONLY posted:

The teacher in the saved but the Bell was like "Zach you're racist!" But then Zach went to go talk to a real Native American so when he did another report it wasn't racist. Even though I'm almost positive he was still wearing headgear and poo poo. (Either way it was definitely still racist)

https://youtu.be/GaS2ULUZWvg

Here's a recap

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Whiz Palace posted:

Corner Gas.

It's Canadian not American.

But, on the same subject, Letterkenny, which is pretty much the same show but more adult, also has recurring characters from the Res on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Gaunab posted:

Longmire and Banshee have Native American representation. Kimmy Schmidt too if you don't mind one of the jokes.

Kimmy Schmidt's representation is terrible and Tina Fey exacerbated by treating its critics as whiny kids who don't get it.

Godless has the best Native representation in recent memory. Unfortunately the show is mediocre.