Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
It would be unusual for someone to run up 3 grand on a divorce before serving papers I would think. Other poster is right; he got into some trouble and is trying to hide it.

Maybe he had a foreign love child from before they met that will be moving in with them, just like the one in that David Sedaris Christmas letter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I (21M) just told my girlfriend (21F) that I hooked up with another girl while we were broken up.

quote:

My girlfriend and I dated for 6 months and then she broke up with me. I asked her to get back together with me and she said no. About two months later I had a one night stand with a random girl I met when I was nearly blacked out at a bar after all of my friends left me. Half way through that I immediately started regretting it and went to sleep, as I realized what I was doing was hosed up and not like me at all. For the next couple of days I didn’t leave my bed and felt depressed and like a poo poo human.

Fast forward another couple of months and she wanted to get back together (this was like 3 or so weeks ago). Everything has been amazing up to this point, we are both happy as ever and have worked out a lot of our old problems.

I kept feeling the need to tell her about my drunken hook up because I feel like she deserved to know, but I couldn’t bring myself to telling her. She does have a little bit of depression and anxiety problems so I was worried how she would take the news. And I was also scared of ruining our happy relationship.

Last night it was bothering me so much, and I had to tell her. She has always been so open with me and would always tell me even when guys were flirting with her. I feel like a monster for keeping this from her for the last few weeks. I knew I needed to tell her though because I love her and I couldn’t keep this from her.

When I told her last night we were in my car outside of her house and she started crying. She feels so hurt that I didn’t tell her sooner and kept asking me why. I was telling her that I could never find the right time to do it and it was hard to bring it up as it is something that I regret extremely and it is embarrassing. She has been bringing up that I have had countless times to tell her and that I didn’t. She brought up that before we got back together she even told me about this rumor that she kissed a guy when we were broken up wasn’t true.

She is extremely upset and I have no idea what is going to happen next. I really wish everything works out between us and she finds it in her heart to forgive me. I need some advice on what to do in this situation. I feel like a complete piece of poo poo for not telling her sooner than now. She is the love of my life and I will do anything to keep from losing her again.

Can someone please help guide me on what to do next?

TL;DR: My girlfriend broke up with me and during our breakup I hooked up with another girl. We got back together a few weeks ago and I told her about it last night. She is extremely upset and hurt and I need guidance on what to do now.

They were together for 6 months, "the break" lasted 4 months :thunk:.

Like, I somewhat get the flawed logic when people are young and dumb and have zero communication skills so one thinks "going on a break" is going give them some space to think about it and then BAM the SO sleeps with somebody else the very next day. But 4 months? Seriously?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Palpek posted:

I (21M) just told my girlfriend (21F) that I hooked up with another girl while we were broken up.

Like, I somewhat get the flawed logic when people are young and dumb and have zero communication skills so one thinks "going on a break" is going give them some space to think about it and then BAM the SO sleeps with somebody else the very next day. But 4 months? Seriously?

They are both dumb. Him for telling her and her for caring. But she is totally on the wrong here.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Every "on a break" story we get in here provokes a "this is like that Friends storyline, but even dumber" reaction in me

It was 2 months into their 4-month hiatus from a 6-month relationship, and they weren't even calling it a "break", they were calling it a breakup

It's not too unbelievable that she'd be sad to hear about it I guess but she does need to get over it

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Palpek posted:

He doesn't even call it a break. They broke up. He cheated on her when he was single, that doesn't make sense. He never had to tell her in the first place.

Laurenz
Dec 21, 2015

They call him little janny hotpockets. He was terrific, he was the best, and he did it for free too.

Rubellavator posted:

He doesn't even call it a break. They broke up. He cheated on her when he was single, that doesn't make sense. He never had to tell her in the first place.

In that case he didn't cheat at all

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Rubellavator posted:

It's like the relationships version of when the cops find a package they think might be a bomb, so they take it out in the parking lot and blow it up.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

He is dumb as poo poo and I’ll bet anything the girlfriend got railed by a whole bunch of dudes while they were broken up. Hell, that might’ve been the reason she dumped his rear end the first time around anyway

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

:yikes:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Clark Nova posted:

He is dumb as poo poo and I’ll bet anything the girlfriend got railed by a whole bunch of dudes while they were broken up. Hell, that might’ve been the reason she dumped his rear end the first time around anyway

Doubtful. But imagine how this weepy illogical person responds to other relationship challenges (hint: probaby not very well).

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Fair enough, I suppose it is equally likely she dumped him for screwing up her McDonalds order and spent four months sulking.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

My sister (20F) went through my (28F) bathroom cupboards and brought up what she found at family dinner

quote:

My husband and I invited some family over for dinner on Friday night to celebrate us finishing renovations on our new house. We invited both of our parents, my sister, his 4 siblings, and 2 of his siblings’ spouses. Once everyone was there, we gave a tour, but decided not to show off our master bathroom. We have another bathroom more in the center of the house, nearer to the dining room, for people to use and there’s some private stuff in the master that we didn’t want to be showing off- antidepressants, medications, pregnancy tests (we’ve been trying for a baby but don’t want to announce it quite yet). After we showed everyone around, we went to the dining room, and everyone sat down to eat.

In the middle of dinner, my sister had to go to the bathroom, so she got up and left. She came back a while later, and we all kept eating. Then, she asked how I was feeling. I said fine, and she asked how was I feeling mentally. She interrogated me about my mental health, and when I kept saying I was fine, she asked why I had antidepressants, then. I told her that was a little inappropriate, and she said she was sorry, she wouldn’t talk about it. So, she asked about my husband’s blood pressure medications. He shut her down much more quickly, told her it wasn’t her business, and she asked why were we hiding it. We told her we’d talk to her later, but his family got upset and curious. We hadn’t been talking about it much because it was stressful for my husband and he’d been kind of fragile for a while.

We were generally trying to defuse the situation, and then my sister brought up the pregnancy tests and started saying we were hiding so much. This was the one thing we didn’t want to get out, and she’d just dragged it out into the open. Both of our families were freaking out, and my husband got so pissed he kicked my sister out, which got my parents upset because we had been hiding things from them, and she’d been heroic to bring it into the light. We ended dinner early and everything was a disaster. My husband’s BP was skyrocketing, and I was in a lovely mood and both of us were just pissed. Neither of us have spoken to her, or our parents (who both sided with her that we should’ve been more transparent), and some of his siblings are with us.

What the hell? I guess, what do we do? Who do we talk to? How do we talk to them about this?

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

My sister (20F) went through my (28F) bathroom cupboards and brought up what she found at family dinner

:sever:

What the goddamn hell is wrong with your dipshit sister?

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Admiral Ray posted:

yep that seems like pretty immediate grounds to cut her out of their lives

may not preclude reconciliation in like... a decade, but I don't know if people really age out of that level of fuckheadedness

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Apologise to his parents for the drama, tell your parents that your little sister is spying sociopath and how hosed up it is to go through somebody's private medicine cabinet and reveal it at a dinner table. Apologise that you're keeping stuff from them, but that it's just normal to do so and you were going to talk about it when you were ready (even if you weren't). Never talk to your sister again until she comes grovelling for forgiveness.

I guess?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Putting it all on the sister and apologizing to the parents just means they're going to find someone else to dig through the OP's trash for them

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Mar 26, 2018

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Who the gently caress would even think to do that.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

One weird trick to make a sibling cut you out of your life forever and get all the inheritance money for yourself.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Putting it all on the sister and apologizing to the parents just means they're going to find someone else to dig through the OP's trash for them

I think it's a weird take to assume her parents pressured her sister to look through their medication and make a scene about it. Why not report back to her handlers privately in that case? It's much more likely she is just a nosy and insensitive piece of poo poo to be honest.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ArbitraryC posted:

Who the gently caress would even think to do that.

Someone who knows their parents are equally vituperative assholes.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Man, I'm really glad that my sister and siblings-in-law are all so drama-averse

Sometimes the r/r thread really makes you appreciate what you've got

#mindfulness #blessed

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Jeza posted:

I think it's a weird take to assume her parents pressured her sister to look through their medication and make a scene about it. Why not report back to her handlers privately in that case? It's much more likely she is just a nosy and insensitive piece of poo poo to be honest.

I don't think they expressly gave the sister marching orders for what parts of the house to hit while they kept the OP distracted, but it's crystal clear from the post that they're the ones who instilled her with the values that it's good to go rooting through your family's poo poo for gossip and wicked to have any kind of privacy whatsoever

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Admiral Ray posted:

quote:

got my parents upset because we had been hiding things from them, and she’d been heroic to bring it into the light.

Just look who raised her.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Uh his parents also agreed with hers, both sets of parents are assholes.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Barudak posted:

Uh his parents also agreed with hers, both sets of parents are assholes.

Boomers are an extremely entitled generation

Lethrom
Jul 12, 2010

Get pregnant and then don't tell the parents they have a grandkid.

Also cut the sister out entirely

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Eh. I think the methodology of how the information was obtained probably sinks into the background upon finding out your daughter may be hiding a pregnancy, depression and a presumably quite seriously ill husband all at once. Especially once the younger sister sets the tone as "this is all stuff they have been deliberately hiding from you". I think with a cooler head and some thought, most people would come to see that what happened was wrong even if they felt like they deserved the knowledge.

I mean, they also raised the seemingly normal older sister too.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

All of that poo poo's something I'd pretty much expect to be in a late-twenties married couples' drug cabinet. Depression and hypertension are, like, the most commonly treated ailments there are; married people typically have sex and sex can make babies. They're burning their relationship down over the least juicy hot goss imaginable, which really says something about how imperative it is to keep anything actually important or alarming from them.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Mar 26, 2018

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

married people typically have sex and sex can make babies.

Get the gently caress out of here

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Palpek posted:

This dude is a sad sack of poo poo, but not because he had that one night stand. I'm not exactly the one night stand kinda dude either but goddamn dude you spent 2 days in bed because you slept with someone 2 months after your gf dumped you and didn't want to get back together. I could see the gf being somewhat upset that he took this long to tell her (though that info isn't exactly her business) but just get over it and move on, gently caress.

I love how the family took the sisters side in all of this. The things they were hiding aren't even major things you need to announce to your family...

Antidepressants - Depression is fairly personal and if she's got a handle on things in terms of treating it then there's no need to tell your family if you don't want to. This is the biggest one to hide though I guess...
Blood Pressure - Totally a personal medical thing, unless the guy had a hospitalization around this then there's no need to announce he has a prescription.
Pregnancy Tests - What the hell is the point of sharing that you're trying? My parents know that my wife and I want to have kids fairly soon and that's it, they'll know when it's actually happening but not before.

OH MY you psychos are just hiding so much, we just don't know who you are anymore! That sister needs to have a serious talking to about boundaries and getting into other peoples poo poo and the family all needs to calm the gently caress down. If I were OP I'd want an apology from all parties involved.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

well both their parents and sister have now opened up their medicin cabinets for this couple, look around and ask at their leisure. "dad? whats is this pill? viagara? what mom why do you need ointments for your downstairs lady cabinet?"

if they get upset they can just say they are being heroic

datajugend fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Mar 26, 2018

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I'd also like to bring up the fact that not immediately announcing a pregnancy after a positive piss test is definitively not hiding a pregnancy

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

datajugend posted:

well both their parents and sister have now opened up their medicin cabinets for this couple, look around and ask at their leisure. "dad? whats is this pill? viagara? what mom why do you need ointments for your downstairs lady cabinet?"

if they get upset they can just say they are being heroic

This is vengeance but I don’t think I’d ever want to actually know about any of that poo poo.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Maybe the one night stand guy and his on again of again girlfriend were both virgins, and that's why it's so shocking to them both.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

tactlessbastard posted:

I'd also like to bring up the fact that not immediately announcing a pregnancy after a positive piss test is definitively not hiding a pregnancy

Maybe I missed it, but there wasn't even a positive piss test. They just had some tests in the cabinet to use.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Jeza posted:

Eh. I think the methodology of how the information was obtained probably sinks into the background upon finding out your daughter may be hiding a pregnancy, depression and a presumably quite seriously ill husband all at once. Especially once the younger sister sets the tone as "this is all stuff they have been deliberately hiding from you".
I don't agree. Normal people wouldn't call what sister did "heroic" even at that moment. If depression/heart problems were serious enough then they would have been told by their children and if they expect they wouldn't have been told then it's another point in the "they're terrible to a point that their own daughter/son wouldn't tell them about a serious disease" category.

Also very often one of the children manages to escape the bad influence of the parents thanks to independently getting help/meeting the right people/by sheer survival skills they were born with and not because the parents couldn't have been that bad as they only hosed up the other child.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

Clark Nova posted:

This is vengeance but I don’t think I’d ever want to actually know about any of that poo poo.

hey it isnt easy being a hero

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
A lot of people wait to announce because miscarriages are so common

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Maybe they're both really obviously depressed and closed off and that was the only way to get them to talk about it. Or the dumb sister has a savior complex. Why the gently caress is high blood pressure something that needed discussing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I seriously wonder if the sis is a sociopath or is it an upbringing thing. Mainly to know if she will ever look back and realize that what she did was terrible or if her brain just doesn't process this poo poo at all.