Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
I usually play FC games on hard but this stupid chase at the beginning is kicking my rear end extremely hard. Great way to start a game...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Tumble posted:

they've said it was a cult since the game was known about, people just assumed that because it was in Montana that Ubisoft was secretly *wink wink*we actually mean right-wingers*wink wink*''ing

thats what alot of the negative reviews seem to be mad about. they wanted a game where they could shoot redhats all day and night even though when it never was gonna be like that. waypoint didnt like it because that(buts thats not a loving surprise) neither did slant. alot of journalists seem to think far cry 3 is gonna turn into this uber serious game like 2 was but they never do and then they get mad.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I said come in! posted:

Lets be real, in America the only group of people that are going to be insane Christian cultists are going to be almost entirely white men.

except there have actually been American insane Christian cults that were a lot more diverse than you think

many black and hispanic people are extremely religiously christian so I don't know why you'd think they are less susceptible to joining extreme cults than white people. they'd just be less likely to join a white supremacist cult specifically

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Earwicker posted:

except there have actually been American insane Christian cults that were a lot more diverse than you think

many black and hispanic people are extremely religiously christian so I don't know why you'd think they are less susceptible to joining extreme cults than white people. they'd just be less likely to join a white supremacist cult specifically

most journalists don;t know that. they live in east coast/west coast city blue areas. they think everyone in the rurals is an evil white racist so every cult must be evil white racists too.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Dapper_Swindler posted:

most journalists don;t know that. they live in east coast/west coast city blue areas. they think everyone in the rurals is an evil white racist so every cult must be evil white racists too.

that's not really true, and also i don't think the person I was responding to is a journalist?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Earwicker posted:

that's not really true, and also i don't think the person I was responding to is a journalist?

i just meant in general. sorry.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
Anyone know how the custom maps will be distributed? That's the main feature that has me contemplating picking this up. Is there an in game browser?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

Anyone know how the custom maps will be distributed? That's the main feature that has me contemplating picking this up. Is there an in game browser?

i think its an in game browser type thing. i watched a eurogamer dude make a map and it looked alright. you can have buildings with interiors.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I'n the same vein where most people live in urban centers sure.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i just meant in general. sorry.

its not true in general either theres been lots of journalistic coverage about various extreme American cults that had nothing to do with "all cults being white racists"?

like I don't remember anything like that with the branch davidians or with jonestown or heavens gate with any of the various scandals associated with scientology, all of which have been covered extensively by journalists. what are you talking about?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
So was it released early yet and if so where.

I'm dying here

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Earwicker posted:

its not true in general either theres been lots of journalistic coverage about various extreme American cults that had nothing to do with "all cults being white racists"?

like I don't remember anything like that with the branch davidians or with jonestown or heavens gate with any of the various scandals associated with scientology, all of which have been covered extensively by journalists. what are you talking about?

poo poo. i meant the game reviewers/joutnos saying poo poo like that. not actual journalists. sorry.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Morter posted:

I'm dying here

probably mom and pop stores.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

So..... this is unlocked in Steam rn? Do I have to tunnel my way to Vietnam or somesuch, or is it just straight up unlocked early??

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Reading from work, in response to

Mr Scumbag posted:

Just released on Uplay

Might be misreading it tho

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Morter posted:

I'm dying here

It’s only out for right wing posters

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Morter posted:

Reading from work, in response to

Might be misreading it tho

It's out in NZ/Aus on Uplay. Grab a VPN, start the game and get killin'.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

As a Montanan, the argument is kinda dumb anyway. Our crazies are much more the survivalist and sov-cit type and less crazy religious. The kind of cult they’ve inserted in the game is more like the kind of extremism you’d find in the South/Appalachia.

On top of that, 1/3rd of our ICBM fleet sits in the middle of the state so, I assure you, if some tattooed preacher started an armed uprising there would be more than a faceless sherriff’s deputy on the case.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Going by the time on the Steam store, the game unlocks around midnight at one of the American timezones for everybody, no matter how far ahead they are, e.g. Europe gets it like 5 in the morning.

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!
Is this as good as Blood Dragon?

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

rocket_man38 posted:

Is this as good as Blood Dragon?

The guys who did BD are doing all 3 DLC packs

DaStampede
Feb 8, 2018

VanillaGorilla posted:

As a Montanan, the argument is kinda dumb anyway. Our crazies are much more the survivalist and sov-cit type and less crazy religious. The kind of cult they’ve inserted in the game is more like the kind of extremism you’d find in the South/Appalachia.

On top of that, 1/3rd of our ICBM fleet sits in the middle of the state so, I assure you, if some tattooed preacher started an armed uprising there would be more than a faceless sherriff’s deputy on the case.

You do know it's a video game and not a documentary, right?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

VanillaGorilla posted:

hosed up thing is with trump in office who the gently caress knows how that poo poo would be handled. after the bundy prosicution failure and the waco gently caress up, plus reacting poorly with jones town, who knows how the gently caress the goverment would react to this kinda poo poo. I mean we let nut jobs like Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints operate entire counties under their thumb.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

DaStampede posted:

You do know it's a video game and not a documentary, right?

Yeah that’s my point, Waypoint is dragging the game because it’s not a realistic enough depiction of American extremism because you’re not just dropping white supremacists left and right. I’m saying that’s not really that realistic either.

So I guess I’m arguing for not getting too wound up in FarCry’s politics

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

VanillaGorilla posted:

Shut the gently caress up about this poo poo already and just kill crazy white people.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Deakul posted:

Shut the gently caress up about this poo poo already and just kill crazy white people.

since most of us don't have access to the game yet what is the problem with discussing the subject that the game is about?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

VanillaGorilla posted:

Yeah that’s my point, Waypoint is dragging the game because it’s not a realistic enough depiction of American extremism because you’re not just dropping white supremacists left and right. I’m saying that’s not really that realistic either.

So I guess I’m arguing for not getting too wound up in FarCry’s politics

waypoint wrote a bunch are articles about how "annoyed" they were that they weren't able to shoot Chuds and poo poo even though the game never made that case. that article says more about austin walker(who i usually like) then it does about far cry 5. he wanted it to be The New Colossus/mafia 3 but with trumpists and it wasn't'. so he is irritated about it.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Mar 26, 2018

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Earwicker posted:

since most of us don't have access to the game yet what is the problem with discussing the subject that the game is about?

Because it inevitably leads to people getting banned or threads getting closed cause goons don't know what lines to not cross, I feel like it's getting pretty close to that point already with some posters but they've since backed off or went to work or sleep.

Just chill with the politics behind it all, I highly doubt FC5 will even go that deep into the cult's message and why they're doing what they're doing.

Also, I'm sure by making this post I just self-fulfilled the prophecy. :godwin:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

waypoint wrote a bunch are articles about how "annoyed" they were that they weren't able to shoot Chuds and poo poo even though the game never made that case. that article says more about austin walker(who i usually like) then it does about far cry 5. he wanted it to be the new collusos but with trumpists and it wasn't'. so he is irritated about it.

what a loving moron. goddamn I just want to know more about the grizzly bear summon and the grappling hook areas and what I can do with my silly biplane. gently caress this discourse about a thematic thing that was barely even there in the first place

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Deakul posted:

Because it inevitably leads to people getting banned or threads getting closed cause goons don't know what lines to not cross, I feel like it's getting pretty close to that point already with some posters but they've since backed off or went to work or sleep.

Just chill with the politics behind it all, I highly doubt FC5 will even go that deep into the cult's message and why they're doing what they're doing.

Also, I'm sure by making this post I just self-fulfilled the prophecy. :godwin:

I get your point but on the other hand the story, cult, setting, and supposed politics behind it are kind of the main thing the game brings to the table and are the focus of most coverage and discussion, not just here but in general.

gameplay wise other than the introduction of airplanes and the absence of a few animations, it's the same game we've already played. I'm definitely looking forward to it but I don't really see anything else particularly noteworthy going on in any trailers or reviews.

maybe I missed some bad part of the thread but most of what people are saying here seems fairly reasonable?

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Mar 26, 2018

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Best Far Cry is the first one and you human being AMericans cant convince me otheriwse.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

The game is asking me if I am a trump voter, I said yes of course but it defaulted back to no. Now there is a voice saying fight the cops over and over and I can’t proceed What should I do, I’m cry mad at Ubisoft

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Earwicker posted:

I get your point but on the other hand the story, cult, setting, and supposed politics behind it are kind of the main thing the game brings to the table and are the focus of most coverage, and discussion not just here but in general.

gameplay wise other than the introduction of airplanes and the absence of a few animations, it's the same game we've already played. I'm definitely looking forward to it but I don't really see anything else particularly noteworthy going on in any trailers or reviews.

maybe I missed some bad part of the thread but most of what people are saying here seems fairly reasonable?

I might be overreacting a tad, I've had a bad morning, carry on.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Buller posted:

Best Far Cry is the first one and you human being AMericans cant convince me otheriwse.

Actually it's Far Cry Instincts Predator

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Randler posted:

Going by the time on the Steam store, the game unlocks around midnight at one of the American timezones for everybody, no matter how far ahead they are, e.g. Europe gets it like 5 in the morning.

The PS4 version’s timer says the game unlocks midnight local time here in the UK. I think it’s like that everywhere.

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,
Has anybody had luck unlocking via VPN on Steam?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

ethanol posted:

The game is asking me if I am a trump voter, I said yes of course but it defaulted back to no. Now there is a voice saying fight the cops over and over and I can’t proceed What should I do, I’m cry mad at Ubisoft

Weird. I got my copy but I can't move or do anything. All that happens is that a cop appears on the screen, throws a nazi salute, and then I can shoot him. If I do another cop appears. Apparently this is the entire game?

edit: I get a loot box each time I kill a cop which is cool.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

Has anybody had luck unlocking via VPN on Steam?

Dis my question, can I afford to start getting excited about loading up when I get home or....??

I wanna kill nazi cops of color too!!!!

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

black.lion posted:

Dis my question, can I afford to start getting excited about loading up when I get home or....??

I wanna kill nazi cops of color too!!!!

No you fool...

You ARE the cops!! :siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atari teenager
May 29, 2008
I'm pre-loaded and ready to shoot at whites.