Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Dude has a pretty good studio catte though

e: Holy lol he managed to annoy fishman enough that they did the wiring for him

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Mar 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Make it stop, please.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Ah yes Jack White has reached that level of fame where his ability to self-edit is all but gone.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Ah yes Jack White has reached that level of fame where his ability to self-edit is all but gone.

Feel like this is a rite of passage for a lot of/most artists.

fartzone_42069
Oct 11, 2009

Eh, that's a good Neurosis link for fans. But.

Were musicians here. You better have some good headphones or monitor speakers around. Play this loud. And understand why a lot of our mutual favorite non-heavy artists revere Neurosis. Their sound is dense and layered. Hit the HD for sure. Or get the real thing without YouTube compression! And see em live!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oPCiHPf6-U

And see Tool live too while you're at it. Tool and Neurosis are not even close to the same. This thread is dominated by guitar players. And I 110% understand why Tool bores guitar players to death. But, I'm a drummer. And what's going on there is so much more than just "OMG Insane DruMZ!!1" It's that Steve Vai type perfection! Anyway, their live show is really kind of an artistic masterpiece for anyone who appreciates things that are cool. If a friend is like, hey I got an extra ticket... See it!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

fzA455 posted:

Neurosis is loving intense and not being able to differentiate them from other loud music is some real stupid music poo poo.
It's not so much the fact that "lol all Post-Rock-ish Metal bands sound like Neurosis". It's just that they have a lot of imitators. Like with Helmet/Quicksand.

Anime Reference posted:

I don't doubt that the Fluences do sound a lot better but he picked the worst possible way to show it off. Of course pretty much everything that guy does sounds the same anyway regardless of what he's using.
Ironically enough, the reason I use the drat things is because they give me a bunch of options. Overproducing something to the point you sound the same no matter what you use is kinda sad. Like, I can understand a guitar player play the same, but I do think that there are sound differences between gear.

The Muppets On PCP posted:

the ola englund lemma
I honestly don't know how this guy duped so many people into thinking he's anything beyond a somewhat decent player (he's absolutely poo poo at Demo'ing gear).

fzA455 posted:

Eh, that's a good Neurosis link for fans. But.

Were musicians here. You better have some good headphones or monitor speakers around. Play this loud. And understand why a lot of our mutual favorite non-heavy artists revere Neurosis. Their sound is dense and layered. Hit the HD for sure. Or get the real thing without YouTube compression! And see em live!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oPCiHPf6-U

And see Tool live too while you're at it. Tool and Neurosis are not even close to the same. This thread is dominated by guitar players. And I 110% understand why Tool bores guitar players to death. But, I'm a drummer. And what's going on there is so much more than just "OMG Insane DruMZ!!1" It's that Steve Vai type perfection! Anyway, their live show is really kind of an artistic masterpiece for anyone who appreciates things that are cool. If a friend is like, hey I got an extra ticket... See it!
I absolutely love Neurosis and have seen them tons of times live. While I often blabber about Meshuggah/In Flames making me tune down, the two bands that actually made me Drop the poo poo out of my tuning were Neurosis and Soundgarden where they tried stuff like dropping the chunkiest string to like B or A. Or all the tunings Thayil and Cornell used to do with immediate strings having a doubled-up note to it so that they could do the Chorus-y / Drone affair.

I am still somewhat fond of the Ænima/Lateralus period of Tool. My biggest problem is with the wannabes, not so much with either Neurosis or Tool.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I saw Tool and it was extremely boring

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSnTkx1ttrM

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Wark Say posted:

I honestly don't know how this guy duped so many people into thinking he's anything beyond a somewhat decent player (he's absolutely poo poo at Demo'ing gear).

He's good at writing cool metal riffs and recording wise, he's good at making metal guitars sound cool in one very specific kind of way.

Didn't he start out on the Andy Sneap forums recording stuff specifically to try and sound like Andy Sneap recordings or something, and his stuff was so well liked that he just kind of blew up like he did?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

GreatGreen posted:

He's good at writing cool metal riffs and recording wise, he's good at making metal guitars sound cool in one very specific kind of way.

Didn't he start out on the Andy Sneap forums recording stuff specifically to try and sound like Andy Sneap recordings or something, and his stuff was so well liked that he just kind of blew up like he did?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kig79_noBzk

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

CheesyDog posted:

I saw Tool and it was extremely boring

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSnTkx1ttrM

I never saw Tool and that’s fine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uv_EGk24V20

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The funny thing about Neurosis is that they’re hugely important to me and always will be. But I don’t listen to them much anymore because they don’t shred.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Kilometers Davis posted:

The funny thing about Neurosis is that they’re hugely important to me and always will be. But I don’t listen to them much anymore because they don’t shred.

Is that too long for a thread title?

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Kilometers Davis posted:

Same but because I’m not into metal/guitars anymore.
Trough silver in blood & times of grace were the poo poo.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Snowy posted:

I never saw Tool and that’s fine

tape a picture of a drum set to the bottom corner of your monitor, cue up a couple hours of their more popular songs, and put on milkdrop

now you've seen tool

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I’m a unashamed guitar purist 99% of the time and and I need to have sick lead lines and good riffs in at least every other song. It is the way of my heart. I am sorry Neurosis. I have failed you.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Kilometers Davis posted:

I’m a unashamed guitar purist 99% of the time and and I need to have sick lead lines and good riffs in at least every other song. It is the way of my heart. I am sorry Neurosis. I have failed you.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I’ll make exceptions for jazz and spooky synth jams.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

tape a picture of a drum set to the bottom corner of your monitor, cue up a couple hours of their more popular songs, and put on milkdrop

now you've seen tool

This is remarkably accurate. Only thing missing is that the guitar sounds like it's running through a plastic DigiTech multieffect pedal that's been set to the Tool imitation setting.

fartzone_42069
Oct 11, 2009

It's just a huge guitar sound you bozo! Honestly, years of work (when they should have just used a GC gift card I know). With Steve Albini. I appreciate it as much as I appreciate proper acoustic classical plucking.

Also awesome you mentioned Quicksand. The new album may be the first time a band has had a reunion after 20 years or so and made an album that's relevant, awesome and good. Can't say the same about the newest Neurosis stuff. Too much "folk" or whatever they think they're mixing in. The hardcore punk to Given to the Rising rule.

I never thought people would have different tastes in music than me. Mind shattered.

I can't really defend Tool. But everyone's like yeah the drummer goes all crazy blah blah. Just listen to his hi hat technique on any live video or studio recording. That kind of perfection at that volume is loving astounding. And the equivalent of sweep picking while paying rent or something.

fartzone_42069 fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Mar 27, 2018

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Kilometers Davis posted:

I’ll make exceptions for jazz and spooky synth jams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xagAMsV78vU

The Muppets On PCP fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Mar 27, 2018

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Yup I think iv'e heard the whitest thing I'll ever hear. poo poo's whiter than an $8 black coffee being served in a cup made out of recycled Columbia acceptance letters.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
I might like their music more if Sam Hyde wasn't rapping over it but it feels like a French version of cover songs similar to Dirty Loops that are not terribly enjoyable to listen to but makes for lots of YouTube traffic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUwnNnDfo_A

It's the music Andy Rehfeldt makes as a joke but in earnest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wx8hjW7FqKE

Rugoberta Munchu fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Mar 27, 2018

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I enthusiastically love the bass tone he's got there on that dio cover.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

I might like their music more if Sam Hyde wasn't rapping over it

lmao I can’t unsee it

Hmmmmm here for it

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

He even raps over their Animals As Leaders cover. I'm interested in a jazz interpretation of borecore I guess but not like that. Yikes.

EDIT: He's British. That makes the way he sounds even more confusing.

Rugoberta Munchu fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Mar 27, 2018

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

the rapping is so bad

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Found this in the Internet archives, used to be on vai.com, posted by Steve himself. It's more awesome not really music poo poo. But funny.

Edit: They're all here: https://web.archive.org/web/20021203192048/http://www.vai.com/AllAboutSteve/journals/journals_1960-1985.html (Choice quote: "When I’m dead in my grave, my penis will still not have forgiven me"; new thread title?)

quote:

We played at many high school dances but people did everything but dance. We took our gigs very seriously in a very un-serious way. Joe Despagni was the band’s right-hand man, and he would build these elaborate light shows with smoke pots and everything.

I remember this one gig at the high school. We’d start preparing the stage show days in advance, driving around through Old Westbury where the rich people lived and sneak up on their property and steal their flood lights for our show. What a bunch of derelicts. If we had a few beers we’d play this little game of sticking our rear end out the car window at people who were in the streets (wow what fun).

Around that time, I was taking guitar lessons from Joe Satriani. He was about 4 years older and we worshipped Joe. He could really play the guitar and we could barely speak in his presence except a “Hi Joe” and a smile. His house, where I took lessons, was like hallowed ground for us. He was very different (did I say different?) at that time too. Totally reserved and in control, very laid back and sophisticated, where I was constantly getting thrown out of classes for going into uncontrollable laughing fits.

So one night we’re doing our “sticking the rear end out of the car window” thing and it was my turn. Ah...I spied an unsuspecting couple having an intimate conversation under a warmly glowing street lamp. Perfect suspects. I pulled down my pants, rolled down the window, and stuck my butt out, waving my hands as the driver of the car madly blows the horn.

In the middle of this little display of infantile brilliance, I realize that the couple I’m shaking my skinny little 16-year-old rear end at are none other than Joe Satriani and his girlfriend. Our eyes met, and I was stunned. It was too difficult to retract my buttocks into the car so the only thing I could do as we drove by was wave and yell “Hi Joe!!”.

I don’t know about you, but as I’m writing this I’m having one of those uncontrollable laughing fits. I can hardly type. God, I’m still so juvenile sometimes.

So we got our flood lights and Joe Despagni is going to build these flash pots. We had to go to JC Penney’s and buy these powdered rocket engines and peel them until we had a huge pile of explosive gray powder. Despagni would strategically place these on the stage, giving us 4 small explosions and one huge one for the finale.

Back then I wanted to be Jimmy Page. I even tried to play the guitar with a violin bow. There was this one point in the show when I was doing an unaccompanied violin bow solo with a tape delay unit. I would strike the guitar with the bow and when it echoed back I would point the bow at a designated area where a flash pot would go off. Well, on this particular night, they were all working but the last one. I could hear Joe yelling “I’m gonna set off the big one!”. I was standing there in pose from the previous ignition and knew that as soon as I so much as move my little finger, Joe was going to Let-em-go!

That was all well and good, but the problem was that the final mega-flash pot was situated between my legs. I was petrified and confused. I whacked the guitar with the bow and hit the deck in an attempt to evade the effects of the blast.

When I came to, my clothes and face were stained with sulfur and my eyelashes were singed off, but the audience was loving it and that made it all worth it.

I think in my next guitar lesson Joe Satch said something in regard to the streaking whiteness of my passing buttocks, and I was just “Wha...wha...what do you mean??”

Clayton Bigsby fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Mar 27, 2018

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

So that explains why his album was called The Streaking Whiteness Of My Passing Buttocks.

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

God knows what COVIDs you people have

Steve Vai posted:

There was this one point in the show when I was doing an unaccompanied violin bow solo with a tape delay unit. I would strike the guitar with the bow and when it echoed back

I'm bored with him even when he tells a funny story. What a shame, I'm hearing that he's a really personable guy but his weedling style makes me think he's unbearable

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I love Vai, definitely one of my favorite players. I’ve never been into his music in depth though. I’m very into his playing but some songs just don’t do it for me and/or have vocals. It’s not the shredding, totally into that. Maybe it’s time I force myself to find the right album for me instead of watching YouTube live clips.

Thread content in the best kind of stupid way:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V5qZoR8E-TM

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Kilometers Davis posted:

I love Vai, definitely one of my favorite players. I’ve never been into his music in depth though. I’m very into his playing but some songs just don’t do it for me and/or have vocals. It’s not the shredding, totally into that. Maybe it’s time I force myself to find the right album for me instead of watching YouTube live clips.

Thread content in the best kind of stupid way:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V5qZoR8E-TM
Alien Love Secrets is short and has a gimmicky song or two, but on balance it's really solid and loving rules.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Dr. Faustus posted:

Alien Love Secrets is short and has a gimmicky song or two, but on balance it's really solid and loving rules.

I don’t think I’ve listened to that one. I trust you though so I’ll jam it later!

e: haha the wiki page :3:

quote:

Julian Vai – baby vocals (track 5)

awwwwwww

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Mar 29, 2018

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Kilometers Davis posted:

very few of the 80s shredder dudes know how to write a good riff, let alone an entire song worth listening to

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

FIRM DISAGREE

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I thought I was too cool for it for a while but now I’m obsessed with all those virtuosos again. It’s pretty funny.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

very few of the 80s shredder dudes know how to write a good riff, let alone an entire song worth listening to

It's the Shawn Lane paradox, they can play like motherfuckers but their music is so hard to stomach.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Shawn Lane wrote beautiful music :colbert:

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Satriani definitely stands above most other shredders for his tastefulness, and ability to write a good melody.

But man, he was 80s AS gently caress: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkfFfqTkneY

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Holy poo poo that outfitttttt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cdc
May 28, 2007

To you, Baldrick, the Renaissance was just something that happened to other people, wasn't it?
Accidentally bought this because I got a good deal on it.

Posting it here because it's a purple flame maple top with gold hardware and bat inlays.

Plays and sounds great though.