Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
sandra bullock is implied to be his daughter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

sandra bullock is implied to be his daughter

uhhhh what?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

had to go look that one up and no she’s not. his daughter’s scenes where mostly cut but she does appear as basically an extra in a few places.

https://movies.stackexchange.com/questions/10113/who-is-the-daughter-of-john-spartan-in-demolition-man

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Bulgakov posted:

lol frig off

not that problems like that are latvia-exclusive

#lifegoals https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2018-03-15/the-wild-pizzas-of-southern-italy-have-to-be-seen-to-be-believed

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Rex-Goliath posted:

i think that maybe it was a thing way back in the 70s and earlier and became internalized as a media trope yeah

at my high school the jocks and band nerds coexisted peacefully. there were one or two 'bullies' but everyone saw it for what it was and- i guess we didn't hate them we more ignored them or just rolled our eyes whenver they tried to act tough

yeah i never saw that kind of "jocks on nerds" bullying either. hell the football guys occasionally tried to get me to go out for football!

the most bullying i saw was in middle school, with grade school a close second. everyone seemed to chill out once we hit high school. honestly the biggest jerks i remember were angry redneck kids. (not that all redneck kids were jerks)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah we actually sourced some decent SEC players over the years so our football kids were super uptight jesuskids with tons of familial and social support, they had no reason or need to beat up on 'nerds'

also we had several kids go to ivy's (not that boring considering we were a lovely 30k town) so the nerds were respected as well

the bulk of the dumb poo poo was perpetrated by drama rednecks infighting, often about pills or bass boats

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

bob dobbs is dead posted:

this works fine in korea and china because korean and chinese pizza is an abomination

(speaking as a korean person who lived in new york for a year)

apparently they seem to have ok pies in latvia. so continue consuming the ok pies

Just chiming in to say that the local pizza place in my neighborhood in Japan won best pizza one year in a pizza competition in Italy.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Ferdinand the Bull posted:

Just chiming in to say that the local pizza place in my neighborhood in Japan won best pizza one year in a pizza competition in Italy.

wanna try that pie.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Ferdinand the Bull posted:

italian pizza is garbage, hth

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah we actually sourced some decent SEC players over the years so our football kids were super uptight jesuskids with tons of familial and social support, they had no reason or need to beat up on 'nerds'

also we had several kids go to ivy's (not that boring considering we were a lovely 30k town) so the nerds were respected as well

the bulk of the dumb poo poo was perpetrated by drama rednecks infighting, often about pills or bass boats

our football team all sang in the choir to get their required fine arts credits

the choir teacher intentionally scheduled all the musicals and major performances around uil football commitments to get the coaches to encourage this

you cant beat up people when the whole school sees you wearing full stage makeup singing tenor in guys and dolls or lil’ abner every year

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

the football players all thought the band nerds were nuts because we’d already be practicing when they showed up and still be when they left

to be fair they were right

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Munkeymon posted:

lol stymie thinks service Jobs involve sitting behind a desk all day

computer toucher jobs don't really qualify as service jobs but they're closer to that than an actual labor-based job so it's close enough

basically you don't actually produce anything as a computer toucher, either goods or services so it's a grey area

bottom line is it's another manifestation of how the tech industry is destroying lives

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

yeah i never saw that kind of "jocks on nerds" bullying either. hell the football guys occasionally tried to get me to go out for football!

the most bullying i saw was in middle school, with grade school a close second. everyone seemed to chill out once we hit high school. honestly the biggest jerks i remember were angry redneck kids. (not that all redneck kids were jerks)

yeah, high school was pretty laid back. the only real divide was between the "regular" kids and the druggies, flunkies and kids who couldn't manage to go one day without flipping off the teacher.

grade school was another matter. most of the people were decent, but there were a couple of creepy troublemakers who showed up in our class, probably because their parents still had an image of catholic school being nuns with rulers who would straighten out their shithead kids. they somehow influenced the heard to the point where everyone was a total rear end in a top hat to everyone else until they were finally expelled, but by that point the damage was done. things got better, but those last years of grade school weren't a pleasant experience for anyone. i actually ran into one of my old teachers a few years ago and she remarked that my class and the year ahead of me were the absolute worst she had ever seen in her 50+ years of teaching.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

I was on the swim team and we'd occasionally use the weight room before the football players. Except all of our exercises were high rep/low weight and some of them looked pretty silly.

Once I caught a player shaking his head watching us, but they were mostly polite. That isn't to say a lot of them we're jerks the way school athletics revolved around them. Did any other school assign cheerleaders to decorate football players lockers and make them treats and stuff? That was a thing for us.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

ADINSX posted:

Did any other school assign cheerleaders to decorate football players lockers and make them treats and stuff? That was a thing for us.

for some reason our school wouldnt pay for the cheer team's transport in/out of some games so they'd hold car washes.

im dead serious

THE SOUTH YALL

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Jonny 290 posted:

for some reason our school wouldnt pay for the cheer team's transport in/out of some games so they'd hold car washes.

im dead serious

THE SOUTH YALL

God what could that reason be. I just don't get it

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

im dead serious

THE SOUTH YALL

the band at my old school did this in addition to a "tag day" where they went door to door asking for money. the music program was really a joke until they got a new director about two years before i started there, but in just a few years he turned the whole program around to the point where it was among the best in the region.

consequentially, from what I've heard they don't have to beg for money anymore

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

im dead serious

THE SOUTH YALL

uh i've seen cheerleader car washes up and down the us. it ain't just a southern phenomenon.

but yeah, i seem to recall ours making poo poo for the football players. no locker decorating since we mostly didn't have lockers.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/VickerySec/status/978314282097033216

https://twitter.com/VickerySec/status/978321031566802944

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

uh i've seen cheerleader car washes up and down the us. it ain't just a southern phenomenon.

car washes are one of those things youth organizations do to earn money and from what i've seen there's nothing sleazy or weird about them, just kids hanging out in a parking lot washing cars with a dirty, gravelly sponge for a few dollars :shrug:

unless jonny is talking about his old school organizing an underage teen bikini carwash like something that you would see in an old screwball comedy movie, then that's p creepy

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The_Franz posted:

car washes are one of those things youth organizations do to earn money and from what i've seen there's nothing sleazy or weird about them, just kids hanging out in a parking lot washing cars with a dirty, gravelly sponge for a few dollars :shrug:

unless jonny is talking about his old school organizing an underage teen bikini carwash like something that you would see in an old screwball comedy movie, then that's p creepy

at my school in the south that fundraising option was just putting signs out at a local normal car wash and getting some percentage of sales or some such.

the sketchy fundraiser was working the bingo hall

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

The_Franz posted:

he means these, i've also seen them and it's real weird

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

The_Franz posted:

they were in their cheerleader uniforms

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
yeah the only people who caused trouble in my school were the dropout kids, but then again school sports teams weren't really A Thing in england in the way they are in the states. football (soccer) was just a thing you could do after school if that's what you're into and i guess some subset of those people were formed into a team that would play against other neighbouring bumfuck school teams from time to time but nobody outside of said after-school activity club would give a poo poo

school uniforms meant there was much less of a socioeconomic divide too although i vaguely recall there was some clique of rich kid wankers who nobody liked and even then they weren't particularly unpleasant people

then again it was also a single sex high school and lemme tell you going to one of those for the entirety of your teenage years while you live in some lovely london commuter belt with nonexistent public transport loving suuuuux

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Stymie posted:

computer toucher jobs don't really qualify as service jobs but they're closer to that than an actual labor-based job so it's close enough

basically you don't actually produce anything as a computer toucher, either goods or services so it's a grey area

bottom line is it's another manifestation of how the tech industry is destroying lives

retail is the second largest sector of service jobs and they aren’t even allowed to sit down.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
here's another cool one

https://twitter.com/twitersgoodboy/status/978345383750504448

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
hahahaha what the gently caress

https://twitter.com/sallykuchar/status/978338976372211712

https://twitter.com/sallykuchar/status/978339293365116928

the whole thread (yes i know i know) is full of housing market fun

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

fishmech posted:

It's real funny how there's people who whine about baseball being too boring, yet they watch american football

neither are watchable without dvr or the dvr of yore, alcohol

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

lol the dvr of yore

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

hahahaha what the gently caress

https://twitter.com/sallykuchar/status/978338976372211712

https://twitter.com/sallykuchar/status/978339293365116928

the whole thread (yes i know i know) is full of housing market fun

The part that kills me is according to the INTERNET, Oakland has 420k people. There's 354 homes for sale. That's not even 0.1% of the population. But then they phrase it like "even with SO MANY HOMES FOR SALE, there's a shortage!"

There are over 3k houses for sale in Edmonton. Just houses, just from the ReMax website. Edmonton has 900k people. 10x as much for sale, just over 2x as many people.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Avenging_Mikon posted:

There are over 3k houses for sale in Edmonton. Just houses, just from the ReMax website. Edmonton has 900k people. 10x as much for sale, just over 2x as many people.
move away?

that is not possible just now

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

FMguru posted:

move away?

I'm not crazy enough to suggest to anyone to just move. It just kills me that an area like that is just strangling itself rather than actually doing anything.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

FMguru posted:

move away?

i pretty much picture smoka as this guy whenever he posts

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Sapozhnik posted:

school uniforms meant there was much less of a socioeconomic divide too

lol this is always bullshit. the people who care about their look always find something to do within uniform/dress code rules while the majority of students do not pay attention, just as when there's no dress code besides "please have clothes and footwear"

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Holy poo poo. How have I never seen this?!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
There was an extended version of that, but I'm not sure where.

See also:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Holy poo poo. How have I never seen this?!
shameful

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

FMguru posted:

shameful

Agreed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

https://twitter.com/prophethusband/...genumber%3D2860