Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
I don't understand the people complaining about the score. It was flawless, especially at the climax. Sometimes you just can't relate to people I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY4q4VUfN-I

The score compliments the visuals so well I can't imagine anything else. The level of urban squalor and total destruction of the environment. I'm not sure how they emulated that car revving sound, but it's creepy as gently caress.

Preston Waters fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Feb 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

BarronsArtGallery posted:

I don't understand the people complaining about the score. It was flawless, especially at the climax. Sometimes you just can't relate to people I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY4q4VUfN-I

The score compliments the visuals so well I can't imagine anything else. The level of urban squalor and total destruction of the environment. I'm not sure how they emulated that car revving sound, but it's creepy as gently caress.

The score is fantastic and used to great effect throughout most of the movie. But (I haven't seen it in theaters so I forget the exact point) there's a part where the foghorn style thing plays, and the scene fades to a different scene and it's still repeating, and it cuts to a close up of Gosling's face and it's still repeating, and I remember it feeling very very very out of place with anything happening at that point in the movie. Everywhere else it was great.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Parts of the score are excellent. Las Vegas in particular was perfect. By the fourth slow pan over large buildings with accompanying horn blare, though, it felt like one of those Inception trailer parodies.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
There are probably many legitimate complaints about this movie that I'd agree with, but pacing and score are absolutely not on that list.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I loved the whole movie and if you didn't like any of it you're wrong!

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I can live with that.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Just watched it for the first time and loved it. Though the last part was a bit too standard Hollywood main bad vs main good fistfight. (Then again, the original had that too, just...a little bit different.)

One thing I found really interesting was that some of the scenes out in the garbage dump seemed heavily inspired by Manufactured Landscapes - some of the bleak landscapes of 2049 aren't something in the far future - it is something that exists right here, right now, in some parts of the world.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I believe you are correct.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.
[quote="ymgve" post=""481918875"]
One thing I found really interesting was that some of the scenes out in the garbage dump seemed heavily inspired by Manufactured Landscapes - some of the bleak landscapes of 2049 aren't something in the far future - it is something that exists right here, right now, in some parts of the world.
[/quote]

I agree. It was really well done bridging the sci fi retrofuturism and our current bizarre modern life. The rows of children dissembling the computer parts isn’t far removed from some documentaries I’ve seen filmed in China and India.

The solar fields as well are very similar to the PS10 plant in Spain.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

sean10mm posted:

What everyone said about Blade Runner in the 80s.

The original had raw primal intrusions through that detachment, like Rutger Hauer’s werewolf howls or Deckard getting his fingers broken. I definitely understand why people call 2049 lifeless in comparison, it’s a much more formal and composed movie. I do like me some sea wall though

I love how 2049 extended the aesthetic of the post-progress cyberpunk city out into the surrounding world.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Just finished watching this for the...uhh....6th time? It leaves me wonderfully satisfied each and every time though.

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003
not going to read the rest of the thread, but i'm assuming their is a general consensus of gently caress JARED LETO

but if that hasn't been brought up yet, gently caress JARED LETO

edit: curses!

vivisectvnv fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Mar 26, 2018

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

vivisectvnv posted:

not going to read the rest of the thread, but i'm assuming their is a general consensus of gently caress JARED LETO

but if that hasn't been brought up yet, hosed JARED LETO

It wasn't unanimous, but yes that sentiment has been expressed many times in this thread.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

vivisectvnv posted:

but if that hasn't been brought up yet, hosed JARED LETO

you and a bunch of 15 year old groupies

Caustic
Jan 20, 2005
I love the whole Flight to LAPD through baseline test sequence. I wish that music track was longer on the soundtrack, it's one of my favorites to listen to (especially as I drive into the city).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpCgdtnMcfE

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Caustic posted:

I love the whole Flight to LAPD through baseline test sequence. I wish that music track was longer on the soundtrack, it's one of my favorites to listen to (especially as I drive into the city).

I really love how well this movie merges imagery and the world of the original book with how a lot of it is now real in parts of the world today.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I think everyone takes "gently caress JARED LETO" as a given, so no one commented. :shrug:

Caustic posted:

I can't stress this enough but if you have not watched this film on Bluray you are doing yourself a great disservice. A lot of the visuals are lost in compression, not even the best streaming comes close...

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I can't stress this enough but if you have not watched this film on Bluray you are doing yourself a great disservice. A lot of the visuals are lost in compression, not even the best streaming comes close...
Anybody watched it on 4K?

I don’t have anything against Jared Leto and I don’t hate him in BR2049, but there are definitely other actors that would have done better things with the role. Bowie would have been amazing :(

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

The 4K UHD looked amazing to my eyes, though it's not like I compared it side-by-side to the Blu-ray.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I liked Leto in this.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I liked Leto in this.

that's what the 15 year old groupies said too

except it wasn't about Blade Runner

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I liked Leto in this.

:hfive:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I don't like Leto's performance but I'm not sure it was really his fault, I think the Wallace character was poorly written. Overly eccentric but without the screen time to really establish any of the eccentricity or incorporate it into a fully formed character.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I can't stand Leto, but he's been in so much stuff that I like/don't mind at this point I've just resigned to putting up with him.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Basebf555 posted:

I don't like Leto's performance but I'm not sure it was really his fault, I think the Wallace character was poorly written. Overly eccentric but without the screen time to really establish any of the eccentricity or incorporate it into a fully formed character.

I feel similarly. It felt more like a casting problem to me, than Leto loving it up. They cast an actor known for big, strange performances in a role that's already big and strange, so it's hardly surprising that he went loud and operatic with it. An actor who doesn't do that, or who doesn't *need* to, might've left some room for other character notes.

Bowie would've been stunt-casting, but at least he'd have brought charisma to a profoundly offputting character, which might've been an interesting tension. My weird fan-casting thought would've been someone who conveyed real warmth or kindness, so Wallace's cruelty would be more shocking. Rather than presenting a menacing douchebag who's megalomania feels kind of like a cartoon.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Wallace's problem was mostly in the writing itself. It sounded like he was reading off of a different script.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Xealot posted:

I feel similarly. It felt more like a casting problem to me, than Leto loving it up. They cast an actor known for big, strange performances in a role that's already big and strange, so it's hardly surprising that he went loud and operatic with it. An actor who doesn't do that, or who doesn't *need* to, might've left some room for other character notes.

Bowie would've been stunt-casting, but at least he'd have brought charisma to a profoundly offputting character, which might've been an interesting tension. My weird fan-casting thought would've been someone who conveyed real warmth or kindness, so Wallace's cruelty would be more shocking. Rather than presenting a menacing douchebag who's megalomania feels kind of like a cartoon.

Yea I think an older actor would've worked better, someone who can do kindly older man but with intensity under the surface. Like a Jeff Daniels maybe.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Wallace's problem was mostly in the writing itself. It sounded like he was reading off of a different script.

Sounds perfectly cast for a young tech billionaire douchebag then. :D

I agree with Xealot though. Tyrell is an ambitious, cold, efficient industrialist. The Wallace character is the modern equivalent of that and having the role played by someone to play the same character's motives and actions, but with a warm and more marketable face kind of performance would probably be more realistic. Like there are people who are fanboys of Elon Musk/etc., Wallace never comes off as someone who would command that of respect.

It's fitting for the setting in a way and for a world set in the 2049 of the first Blade Runner movie rather than our world, but he does feel a bit underdeveloped. I know for nostalgia reasons they opened the movie up with a text crawl similar to the original but they should have put that brief promotional scene of him demoing his new replicants into the actual movie. It's tense and in its own way shows a constrained viciousness to the character* that would have made the rest of his scenes resonate more. I mean this is a guy who invented the capability for massive large scale automated farming to happen and be managed by minimal/no people and saved humanity from starvation. The guy's a legendary hero on paper. But he still feels he *HAS* to create an inexhaustible slave force of replicants to really make himself feel proud.

I think it's telling that the business folks he's demoing the replicant to are aghast the notion of him having the replicant kill themselves. It's a brief scene but you get this feel for the room for how there's human folks in positions of power that aren't down with replicants being treated like poo poo. And it's interesting because rather than being "more human than human" Wallace sells and gets the permits for/etc. the new replicants by showing their total and absolute devotion to their masters. Playing into how natural humanity's definition of a more advanced replicant is one that doesn't think as much. It also gives a little more context to what's mentioned in the blurb regarding replicants being banned or not/what models are legal or not and so on.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Mar 26, 2018

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I liked Leto in this.

I do too but gently caress him overall.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

I do too but gently caress him overall.

:same:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Xealot posted:

Wallace being a Walt Disney type figure would've been really interesting.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I'd like to read Fancher's original draft.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I feel that if they made him older, more fatherly he would be too much like Tyrell

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

Wallace never comes off as someone who would command that of respect.

He's never shown to command that kind of respect, though.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
This was neat:

https://twitter.com/therealelp/status/979058790501965825

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

vivisectvnv posted:

but if that hasn't been brought up yet, gently caress JARED LETO

I thought he was fine, he was alot better than what he did in suicide squad.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tenzarin posted:

It seems like in both Suicide Squad and Blade Runner, they got Leto because they thought he was one of those actors who can take very limited screen time and make something special and memorable out of it. But he's really not one of those guys.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I liked Leto in the Nexus Dawn short that Luke Scott directed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgsS3nhRRzQ

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Tenzarin posted:

Yea, idk. Goons are weird and often have bad opinions. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker
I've noticed on my 6th viewing that having K be "Constant", and Joshi's, "sometimes with you I forget", it could be implied that his illegal memory helped him remain baselined ("Wallace needs memories to helps maintain a stable product") more than average.

But, ironically, when he finds out it actually happened he loses it.

• Locked thread