Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Wasn't there some old cheat with mana points where the same thing happened?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Why is "distant war" even a thing when I'm spending favors to get an ally to join?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Wasn't there some old cheat with mana points where the same thing happened?

There was also the auto-click spam "add province to HRE" to get more imperial authority than you should have.

The "fun" thing about the screenshotted one is that the AI can sometimes perform it. And if it hits 100+ development, it's either impossible to take in a war or taking it gives you overextension and aggressive expansion past the soft cap, triggering the bad events and coalitions!

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

The ultimate defensive strat against players. Good job ai.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Pylons posted:

Build up to your force limit, ally Albania, hope the Ottomans declare on them first. Then I just attached my army to Skanderbeg and let him do the rest. When the war was going well, I separate peaced for Edirne, then Albania won the war and gave me most my Greek provinces back. Then I took out some loans to match the Ottomans galley fleet.

Another question: Is it worth taking out loans to build manufactories? It doesn't seem like other buildings provide enough of a return, but manufactories I'm a little more uncertain of, and I'm having trouble keeping a good economy right now.

The answer depends on your interest rate (among a billion other things). Probably, if you have to ask, the answer is no.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Sephyr posted:

"Was Jerusalem built here,
In England's green and pleasant land"

Checks out.

The papal state is the owner of the satanic mills. further checks out

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Pylons posted:

Another question: Is it worth taking out loans to build manufactories? It doesn't seem like other buildings provide enough of a return, but manufactories I'm a little more uncertain of, and I'm having trouble keeping a good economy right now.

It depends on a huge number of factors, but you can try doing the math yourself.

500 * build cost modifiers * yearly interest rate = how much interest the manufactory will cost per year. By default this would be 20 ducats per year.

trade good value * ( local production efficiency * goods produced modifiers * autonomy + percentage of trade controlled * trade efficiency ) = how much the manufactory will produce per year.

If the first value is less than or equal to the second value, then it would be worth it.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

What is the easiest 'legit' way to form Greece? I was thinking of trying it but as far as I can tell you gotta start as one of four or five Greek culture group opms or crusader states occupying Greek island provinces and... somehow get big enough to squish the ottomans before they squish you? And you can't start as byzantium. It looks like a very difficult thing to pull off.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Can I reform Nahuatl if I control Miami and they have Hispaniola?

Also how do I support rebels? The suckers keep being loyal and I am missing being able to forment rebellion

edit: also do things that boost settler chance/ global settler growth boost Siberian Frontier things?

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Mar 26, 2018

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Red Bones posted:

What is the easiest 'legit' way to form Greece? I was thinking of trying it but as far as I can tell you gotta start as one of four or five Greek culture group opms or crusader states occupying Greek island provinces and... somehow get big enough to squish the ottomans before they squish you? And you can't start as byzantium. It looks like a very difficult thing to pull off.

I did an Athens run last patch for Academical, and while I held off on forming Greece until I got the achievement, I could have done it fairly early. I got Genoa to support my independence and then declared when the Ottos attacked Byzantium and grabbed a province or two. Improved relations with the Ottos in the meanwhile. Because I was still small after independence, the penalty with the Ottos for them wanting my territory was low and they stayed at neutral attitude and ~90 opinion, meaning they left me alone while they conquered elsewhere. This gave me time to snipe a few provinces from other minors like the Knights and get big enough to swing an alliance with Castille. From there it wasn't too hard to expand more and get other allies until I could take the Ottos.

It actually felt like an easier start than Byzantium despite being their vassal, because the Ottos don't hate you off the bat.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Pylons posted:

Why is "distant war" even a thing when I'm spending favors to get an ally to join?

Holy poo poo, this. One of the many ways in which alliances are completely loving worthless most of the time.

I had a game once ages ago where I bascially decided I didn't want to expand beyond a particular province into SEA and then allied Ayutthaya and let them clean up all the other minors there, thinking that they'd be more useful as an ally than if I conquered all those provinces myself, but then they wouldn't join in on any wars; even India was far away enough that 'distant war' was enough to prevent them from joining.

Possibly I could have got them to join by pumping trust but I didn't think about it and they rivalled me shortly after that (which is another fun fun way the AI can tell you to go gently caress yourself, though it's not quite as frustrating).

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Allies should be more reluctant to fight distant wars, even with favors. Why should an ally care about your fights on the other end of the continent?

RabidWeasel posted:

Possibly I could have got them to join by pumping trust but I didn't think about it and they rivalled me shortly after that (which is another fun fun way the AI can tell you to go gently caress yourself, though it's not quite as frustrating).

You can also pump diplomatic reputation. That helps a lot.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The distant war penalty is good. Imagine trying to play as a non-European country and when a colonizer like Spain declares war on you they pull in France and a bunch of minor-medium states against you as well.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Allies should be more reluctant to fight distant wars, even with favors. Why should an ally care about your fights on the other end of the continent?

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
It's extra funny because Bremen will join to defend The Knights and then stay in the war for 5 years, no distant war penalty there.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Tahirovic posted:

It's extra funny because Bremen will join to defend The Knights and then stay in the war for 5 years, no distant war penalty there.
That's because it only applies for offensive wars not defensive. Adding it to defensive wars but with a lesser penalty could be interesting.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Poil posted:

That's because it only applies for offensive wars not defensive. Adding it to defensive wars but with a lesser penalty could be interesting.

I think they should. There's already a negative modifier for distance when asking for alliances, so that gets rid of some defensive call to arms weirdness, but there are some other ways defensive CTAs can go out and you end up at war with countries on the other side of the earth who have no way to get to you but still refuse to peace out. That's always frustrating. If they could refuse non-ally defensive CTAs without penalty if a certain distance away from the defender, that'd help a lot.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Will literally every single Colonizer hate me and lust for my gold as a Native? What the gently caress is this poo poo

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Welp, Aragon just declared war on my Scotland because I was suddenly in charge of a PU over France. Vin et haggis pour la victoire!

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Will literally every single Colonizer hate me and lust for my gold as a Native? What the gently caress is this poo poo
Yes. It's historical accuracy. :smith:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Gold provinces are good stuff my dude

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Man, the British Isles feel huge now with all these extra provinces in them. I especially like the changes in Scotland- it's a small thing, but separating Perthshire from Fife and the southern uplands from the central belt means the terrain setup makes so much more sense.

e: a second province in the Hebrides before a third in the belt is madness tho

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Mar 26, 2018

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

oddium posted:

not mine

Ironman compatible!

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Poil posted:

Yes. It's historical accuracy. :smith:
The Ottomans, baffingly, picked exploration and now I have no center bulwark. Everyone I could possibly ally against the other Europeans hates the other, my picks are only secondary powers at best, like Morocco and Sweden. (And seeing as Sweden holds land that rightly belongs to my vassal Norway, ughh)

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

While we're on the subject of defensive CTAs, one thing that really annoys me is that defensive CTAs are automatic, and if your ally has enough reasons to not answer your call, then the alliance breaks immediately without anything you can do about it. Instead it really ought to be something like "your ally has not yet responded to your call to arms - here are the reasons why" and you can give them money or increase their trust or whatever to fix the problem. It should be your decision to break the alliance or not. Maybe you don't actually need them for this defensive war, but you want to keep the alliance for later?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Yeah, in CK2 you have to call your allies and you can skip doing it if ya wanna. Don't know what that ain't the case here

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Any thoughts on how not to get your poo poo kicked in as England in the HYW? I’ve tried subduing Brittany first then Scotland - should I be returning Maine instead and biding my time until I can tag team with Allies? France just seems to get stronger and stronger as time goes on. Could you conceivably hit miltech 4 ahead of them?

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Beefeater1980 posted:

Any thoughts on how not to get your poo poo kicked in as England in the HYW? I’ve tried subduing Brittany first then Scotland - should I be returning Maine instead and biding my time until I can tag team with Allies? France just seems to get stronger and stronger as time goes on. Could you conceivably hit miltech 4 ahead of them?

Do you have the Cossacks DLC? You can get a pretty significant early-game advantage by recruiting a noble general and pumping noble influence up to 75+ before demanding military points from them. Barring historical generals and/or terrible luck you should have a better general than any of your opponents and you should beat them to tech 4 also, especially if you focus military points.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah, definitely concede Maine. Holding on to it puts you into an offensive war against France, so it's unlikely that you can call what few allies you have into it. Meanwhile, France will have all of their allies because they're on the defense. You do need to strangle France in the crib, preferable before they get their +20% morale idea, but 1444 is a little too early for that.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

sell maine to brittany and then get t back before france does

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

You can also pump diplomatic reputation. That helps a lot.

In this particular case it was only from one side of the Indian Ocean to the other and I owned all of the provinces between my ally and the war target, if that's too far to get them to join a war then it reinforces the idea that allies will never help in an offensive war unless they're being given provinces.

Maybe this was a problem in one particular patch since it was like 2 years ago but it stuck with me since it was the first time I tried to have a long term friendly relationship with an AI that I bordered.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

oddium posted:

not mine
How was this achieved?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Terrible Opinions posted:

How was this achieved?

Spam click 'complete mission' that gives bonus dev, while the game is in the middle of saving. Same exploit that let you get super easy IA a few patches ago.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

oddium posted:

Lol, that's hilarious. Does it work?

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

I won the Maine war as England by calling in Aragon and Burgundy and was able to enforce the Union! However, the war of the roses fired towards the end of the war when I had no manpower left and the rebels enforced their demands- this instantly dismantled the Union.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Poil posted:

Lol, that's hilarious. Does it work?

the triggers are Is England, not at war with France, not 1450 or later, no truce with France, England owns maine

so yeah just wait a few years

mobius42
Dec 19, 2006

Cheen posted:

I won the Maine war as England by calling in Aragon and Burgundy and was able to enforce the Union! However, the war of the roses fired towards the end of the war when I had no manpower left and the rebels enforced their demands- this instantly dismantled the Union.

I had the same, but with Castile, Burgundy, and Savoy as they all would take land to join war. I only gave land to Castile as I planned on keeping them around for a later PU. I ended up taking out quite a few loans to pay for mercs to handle the war of roses.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

oddium posted:

actually i thought about it for more than a second and you could probably just release normandy as a vassal and grant them maine if you want to avoid the war

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

oddium posted:

actually i thought about it for more than a second and you could probably just release normandy as a vassal and grant them maine if you want to avoid the war

That's what I did. Additionally I put Normandy on scutage and deleted my forts in Calais and Labourd. Once I got the subjugation CB on Scotland France did honor their guarantee, but since Greater Normandy was not part of the war and my remaining mainland provinces had no forts the French couldn't really get much war score against me.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Eldred posted:

Do you have the Cossacks DLC? You can get a pretty significant early-game advantage by recruiting a noble general and pumping noble influence up to 75+ before demanding military points from them. Barring historical generals and/or terrible luck you should have a better general than any of your opponents and you should beat them to tech 4 also, especially if you focus military points.

This does not work as England since due to England's parliamentary government form they do not have the Nobles estate.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Declare on France before the Maine event pops up and you can call in allies. I think I used Castile when I did it, but there'll almost always be someone that hates France enough unless you get unlucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Beefeater1980 posted:

I rando'd a near perfect England game right after the patch by allying Savoy, Aragon and Burgundy and having the Surrender of Maine fire while France was invading Brittany, so they backed down. Scotland is guaranteed by France and will otherwise leave you alone if you aren't getting stomped, so you can ignore them. Also Provence seems to get excommunicated early on a lot so that's an easy next door land grab you can take as well.

A lot of it is down to the RNG but it's actually a lot easier to pull off now than it used to be. I had them utterly broken before military 4 was even in sight.

Edit: nicking Brittany right off the bat isn't a terrible idea and stability is overrated anyways.