Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

BlindSite posted:

He broke school records and was behind Brian Griese his first two years. His competition for the starting job went on the nfl as well. His passer rating in college was in the 130s, while he obvs wasn't a "blue chip" prospect, to say he was bad is a bit of a stretch.

what kind of pathetic school records was brady breaking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mastershakeman posted:

quote:

Michigan

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Most handoffs in a game.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Bad QBs are bad in the NFL cus QB is the hardest position to play and yet there seems to be an actual argument about it brewing here. Odd.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Diva Cupcake posted:

Schatz put out his QBASE rankings.

Does FO only do this for quarterbacks or other positions?

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

mastershakeman posted:

most sullen cheerleader for a charles woodson defense

joe football
Dec 22, 2012

Sataere posted:

Does FO only do this for quarterbacks or other positions?

There are different questionable metrics for other positions, such as SackSEER and Playmaker Score

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Doltos posted:

Bad QBs are bad in the NFL cus QB is the hardest position to play and yet there seems to be an actual argument about it brewing here. Odd.

It is so hard that Sam Bradford has been paid an entire football teams value to play 4 good games.

*Chargers or Browns value.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Elephanthead posted:

It is so hard that Sam Bradford has been paid an entire football teams value to play 4 good games.

He's been paid 1.5 billion?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Elephanthead posted:

Yep. And to put it in perspective Sam Bradford was an incredible QB prospect. There's guys who absolutely shred college competition with massive completion percentages and TD:INT ratios. They clown on legitimate NFL prospects or premier D1 schools. They are at best a backup in the NFL or they flame out spectacularly.

That's why I was so happy having Eli. Even when he wasn't that great he was still leagues ahead of other options out there that would guarantee a losing season.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

mcmagic posted:

It's going to make me so happy when the stupid loving Giants don't use their best chance to get a replacement for Manning and draft some dumb RB.... And then trade Beckham.

They won't trade Beckham. These QBs suck though, although Allen sucks a lot worse than the rest.

The right move is to trade down and get Chubb, although Nelson's acceptable.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Kim Jong Il posted:

They won't trade Beckham. These QBs suck though, although Allen sucks a lot worse than the rest.

The right move is to trade down and get Chubb, although Nelson's acceptable.

They are going to pass on all the QBs and look like idiots for the next decade.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

mcmagic posted:

They are going to pass on all the QBs and look like idiots for the next decade.

Especially if they don’t trade out of 2. You can’t tell me Chubb is worth more than Marcus Davenport + three starters or whatever.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

I can't conceive the possibility of the Giants staying at two and not taking a quarterback. If they do, Gettleman should be fired on the spot.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Doltos posted:

Yep. And to put it in perspective Sam Bradford was an incredible QB prospect. There's guys who absolutely shred college competition with massive completion percentages and TD:INT ratios. They clown on legitimate NFL prospects or premier D1 schools. They are at best a backup in the NFL or they flame out spectacularly.

That's why I was so happy having Eli. Even when he wasn't that great he was still leagues ahead of other options out there that would guarantee a losing season.

Bradford's career would've been a lot different if not for the injuries. Hard to predict that, he was injured in college but it was always the shoulder or ankle. Like you said he tore up college football like crazy.

Eli is decent and he's just insanely durable. Same goes for a lot of the good qbs in the league. Injuries lead to lack or reps and experience, they might make you slower or more skittish, and of course your team gets totally screwed. Durability is easily one of the most important qualities for a QB, as difficult as that is to define perfectly.

Sataere posted:

I can't conceive the possibility of the Giants staying at two and not taking a quarterback. If they do, Gettleman should be fired on the spot.

I would say it would be absolutely guaranteed if it weren't for the coaching change. The previous staff was pretty much over Eli but who knows how Shurmur feels. I agree it'd probably be a bad move. Who knows when they'll have a pick like this and when so many decent QBs will be hitting the draft.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
Brady-at-Michigan chat reminded me of the game I went to at Wisconsin where Chris Chambers dropped a wide-open touchdown because the sun was in his eyes as the ball hit him in the stomach, and then on the potential game-winning drive, on 4th and 1 we called an option pitch stretch play (which we'd never done in a game) to Ron Dayne, who got hit 4 yards behind the line of scrimmage. Brady had gone out in the early 4th q with an elbow injury.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Abugadu posted:

Brady-at-Michigan chat reminded me of the game I went to at Wisconsin where Chris Chambers dropped a wide-open touchdown because the sun was in his eyes as the ball hit him in the stomach, and then on the potential game-winning drive, on 4th and 1 we called an option pitch stretch play (which we'd never done in a game) to Ron Dayne, who got hit 4 yards behind the line of scrimmage. Brady had gone out in the early 4th q with an elbow injury.

I didn't follow the draft back then outside of being super excited for Ron Dayne as a kid. I went back and watched a lot of Brady tape a few years ago from his time in Michigan and he just had such a smooth throw. His arm strength wasn't there at all and his receivers constantly had to come back towards the ball but his form was NFL perfect. I figure he dropped in the draft because his arm strength really was pathetic at times. His touch passes definitely got him drafted though. Just constantly great fades, out routes, and hitting short seam passes in stride.

If you guys have time go back and watch the comeback he orchestrated against Bama. You could see a lot of talent there even though Bama's defense was falling apart.

Brady was the one guy I never thought would massively improve his arm strength and he did so it goes to show you that even big guys with great form can somehow figure out how to throw farther and more accurately as time goes on.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

lol.

https://twitter.com/JoshNorris/status/978280770962886657

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
the last podcast ain't played nobody had a really good, in depth breakdown of just how crazy the josh allen thing is

(it's sheer lunacy)

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Raku posted:

the last podcast ain't played nobody had a really good, in depth breakdown of just how crazy the josh allen thing is

(it's sheer lunacy)

a good quarterback prospect is a good quarterback prospect, but the mystery allen could be anything, even a good quarterback prospect!

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Man I don't know if I'd use the #1 overall draft pick on a literal coin flip

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

a good quarterback prospect is a good quarterback prospect, but the mystery allen could be anything, even a good quarterback prospect!

It's not even a mystery: he was bad against the mountain west in his "good" year

https://art19.com/shows/podcast-aint-played-nobody/episodes/cb82d174-86a5-4713-828b-224cbdec5fa5

Just skip to around 20 minutes in

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

If you're adding Tyrod as the unquestioned starter AND signing Drew Stanton as a backup, well… the Josh Allen #1 overall pick dream isn't completely unfeasible.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

fsif posted:

If you're adding Tyrod as the unquestioned starter AND signing Drew Stanton as a backup, well… the Josh Allen #1 overall pick dream isn't completely unfeasible.

And it is absolutely the most Browns move

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Raku posted:

(it's sheer lunacy)

this upcoming podcast might change your mind
https://twitter.com/PardonMyTake/status/978312572553388032

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

If Allen busts (very likely) is there a better instance of everyone on the outside looking in knowing a high pick will be a disaster?

Vernon Gholston comes to mind.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Cash Monet posted:

If Allen busts (very likely) is there a better instance of everyone on the outside looking in knowing a high pick will be a disaster?

Pretty much everyone thought the EJ Manuel pick was really bad. And it was.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide

Cash Monet posted:

It really depends on if you think hackenberg was a high pick

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Raku posted:

It really depends on if you think hackenberg was a high pick

At least Johnny Manziel would likely qualify

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Bortles hasn't been a complete bust but it's still mind-boggling to me that Jacksonville picked him that high

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
I'd say Jake Locker for sure

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Locker, Manuel, and Bortles had pretty good collegiate careers, no?

Allen is just meh.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Cash Monet posted:

Locker, Manuel, and Bortles had pretty good collegiate careers, no?

Allen is just meh.

Locker's stats were bad, but the other two were leagues ahead of Allen.

I think this year is pretty unique insomuch that 1. there are a lot of actually good quarterback prospects and 2. there have been enough busts in recent memory that were drafted because of the Mike Mayock and Mel Kiper's of the world telling us that they were pieces of raw quarterback clay that could be molded by a deft hand into a star.

Like there used to be some deference given to scouts when they spouted poo poo that seemed like nonsense to everyone outside the industry, but I can't think of many instances where they were vindicated. If Josh Allen doesn't pan out, it feels like it will represent a turning point for a lot of people's credibility.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE
I think Allen has the highest bust potential, but I wouldn't blame any team for taking him even early in the draft.

I think the other QBs will be very good but what Allen has over them is the chance to be unstoppable.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

fsif posted:

Locker's stats were bad, but the other two were leagues ahead of Allen.

I think this year is pretty unique insomuch that 1. there are a lot of actually good quarterback prospects and 2. there have been enough busts in recent memory that were drafted because of the Mike Mayock and Mel Kiper's of the world telling us that they were pieces of raw quarterback clay that could be molded by a deft hand into a star.

Like there used to be some deference given to scouts when they spouted poo poo that seemed like nonsense to everyone outside the industry, but I can't think of many instances where they were vindicated. If Josh Allen doesn't pan out, it feels like it will represent a turning point for a lot of people's credibility.

You really think teams are listening to the likes of Mayock and Kiper?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Jack Locker was so mediocre in college.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

seiferguy posted:

Jack Locker was so mediocre in college.

I had to watch him overthrow receivers for the entirety of my undergrad tenure, I never understood why he was hyped up at all by anyone.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Lol he even looks like a meth head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Matt Cassel was the worst college QB to every find (minor)success in the NFL, don't @ me

• Locked thread