Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

CommieGIR posted:

You are really really focused on that weight instead of the poor performance of the CPU with the Intel Graphics only solution you keep pushing.

actually in my list of reasons i prefer the one i mentioned youll notice i didnt even mention weight :ssh:

that doesnt mean im not gonna lol when you rebut his 10 lb remark with an "ACSHOOALLY, its 8lbs, " because that is pretty funny

and also that does happen to be the weight of two of my computers combined :-)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
An intel i3 processor, especially a later gen one, is perfectly fine for the vast majority of things. They're loving ulv CPUs half the time anyways, the difference is minor. Power, weight, price, warranty - all of these things matter. For the given usecase, the CPU speed is probably one of the lowest things I care about.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I have the aforementioned Acer laptop with the i3-7100u that I use as an HTPC. When the power was out for a week and I didn't want to fire up any desktops on generator power, I was able to play low res fortnite on it as well as hearthstone. Fractured space was kind of bad even at low resolution and Planetside 2 was below 10 FPS but it's always been terrible. Also I discovered last year that Diablo 3 only gets like 10-15 FPS so I wouldn't play that on it. Otherwise it's pretty snappy with a SSD and an additional 4GB of RAM. If it's not moving around much the plastic chassis doesn't really matter. I got it because Kaby Lake added hardware decoding some higher end video codecs and because once or twice a year I need a two laptops for work stuff.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Rexxed posted:

I have the aforementioned Acer laptop with the i3-7100u that I use as an HTPC. When the power was out for a week and I didn't want to fire up any desktops on generator power, I was able to play low res fortnite on it as well as hearthstone. Fractured space was kind of bad even at low resolution and Planetside 2 was below 10 FPS but it's always been terrible. Also I discovered last year that Diablo 3 only gets like 10-15 FPS so I wouldn't play that on it. Otherwise it's pretty snappy with a SSD and an additional 4GB of RAM. If it's not moving around much the plastic chassis doesn't really matter. I got it because Kaby Lake added hardware decoding some higher end video codecs and because once or twice a year I need a two laptops for work stuff.
Why is d3 frame rate so low? Looking at CPU benchmarks, you should get 30+ fps as long as you use 720p and appropriate graphics settings. I have an earlier gen i5 that benches around the same as the i3-7100u and get ~40 fps in d3.

Is it down to igpu? Even there, I'm not sure.

edit: I guess the i5-5300U has around 25% better single core fp performance. Still, it seems like the i3-7100u should get more fps in d3 than what you said.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Mar 26, 2018

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Rexxed posted:

How is "Barely being capable of fulfilling the use case" somehow translate to "Acceptable"

Khorne posted:

A 2 core i5 from an earlier generation still gets 30+ fps in d3 on integrated graphics. Seems like there's no reason at all to get a mobile i3 if you plan on playing games.

Statutory Ape posted:

that doesnt mean im not gonna lol when you rebut his 10 lb remark with an "ACSHOOALLY, its 8lbs, " because that is pretty funny

and also that does happen to be the weight of two of my computers combined :-)

Its a desktop replacement. And chances are, it can outperform and outlast both of your laptops. :shrug:
Sorry you have a hard time putting 8 lbs on your lap, that must make doing anything physically really difficult. And for the record: The current Precision series is down to 6 lbs.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Mar 26, 2018

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Lol christ dude just go gently caress off.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Statutory Ape posted:

Give them a few minutes, it's hard to move fast when you're carrying all that weight.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Statutory Ape posted:

That would require me to lift more than 8 lbs.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

The local Microcenter has open-box, like new XPS 15s with 16gb RAM/512gb SSD/4k display/1050 video card for $1300.

This seems like a crazy good deal to me.

But...they have SIX open box versions of these. Are they garbage and I just don't realize it?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

IuniusBrutus posted:

The local Microcenter has open-box, like new XPS 15s with 16gb RAM/512gb SSD/4k display/1050 video card for $1300.

This seems like a crazy good deal to me.

But...they have SIX open box versions of these. Are they garbage and I just don't realize it?

Per Amazon reviews: There's some QA/Driver issues people are reporting having to return laptops, but it seems like most of them just get another XPS 15 anyways due to the specs, but there does seem to be some hardware QA issues.:
https://www.amazon.com/Dell-XPS9560...rds=Dell+XPS+15

I'd hold off on that unless you are willing to put up with a possible RMA or return.

UltraBook Review: Sleek, but Buggy
https://www.ultrabookreview.com/10234-dell-xps-15-9550-review/

Notebook Review of ongoing confirmed issues with XPS 15s
http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/dell-xps-15-9550-list-of-hardware-and-software-problems.784691/

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Mar 26, 2018

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Doesnt the xps15 have a big tendency to have poo poo screens ?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Statutory Ape posted:

Apparently. Users are reporting screens flickering/colors changing.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
I had a last gen xps 15 and it was the best form factor and design I've ever experienced in a laptop coupled with the most inexplicable and frequent bugs, some of which were fixed by Dell via BIOS updates over the course of a year or so and some which weren't. I wouldn't buy one after my experience. Call it anecdotal if you want, but it was a bunch of bugs fixed via BIOS updates so it wasn't just me. I think a lot of people gave that laptop a pass on a lot of it's bullshit because it just looked so nice and was so nice to carry around.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

greasyhands posted:

I had a last gen xps 15 and it was the best form factor and design I've ever experienced in a laptop coupled with the most inexplicable and frequent bugs, some of which were fixed by Dell via BIOS updates over the course of a year or so and some which weren't. I wouldn't buy one after my experience. Call it anecdotal if you want, but it was a bunch of bugs fixed via BIOS updates so it wasn't just me. I think a lot of people gave that laptop a pass on a lot of it's bullshit because it just looked so nice and was so nice to carry around.

i've been reading this thread since i reg'd (i reg'd for this thread, tbh) and i think a fair amount of you all have had issues with that computer

still bought one for my parents though. they "really like it" (never use it)

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Statutory Ape posted:

I went through a few 4K ones because of a slight colour cast on one side of the screen, I thought I got a bad one but after spinning the wheel it seems like they're all (or a lot of them are) like that

It's completely unnoticeable 99% of the time though, so I'm fine with it. The response time could be better, but it looks real nice otherwise

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

greasyhands posted:

:yossame:

I had a 9550 model and went through four screens all of which were bad. Worst was a noticably color difference between the left and right side of the lcd, left hand being more orange and right hand side more blue.

The worst thing though was the fan always being on even under the lightest of load. Watch a youtube video? Have some fan.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

my xps13 does some weird poo poo with fans too tbh

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

btw

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Khorne posted:

Why is d3 frame rate so low? Looking at CPU benchmarks, you should get 30+ fps as long as you use 720p and appropriate graphics settings. I have an earlier gen i5 that benches around the same as the i3-7100u and get ~40 fps in d3.

Is it down to igpu? Even there, I'm not sure.

edit: I guess the i5-5300U has around 25% better single core fp performance. Still, it seems like the i3-7100u should get more fps in d3 than what you said.

I'm not sure, I'll have to take another look at it some time. All of the graphics settings were down but it might have been at full 1080 because it was right after I got it and I hadn't considered lowering the resolution. Maybe next time I lose power for a week I can visit italian hell.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
My Thinkpad T470 came in this weekend and oh my goodness this is the best laptop I've ever held in my hands. I'm really glad I went for it instead of paying a premium for an XPS. But the eBay seller didn't include a power cable so I can't do much with it for a few more days while I wait for one to come in from Amazon.

Good thing is I know everything on the laptop works because it was shipped with both batteries fully charged so I could test things out.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Careful Drums posted:

My Thinkpad T470 came in this weekend and oh my goodness this is the best laptop I've ever held in my hands. I'm really glad I went for it instead of paying a premium for an XPS. But the eBay seller didn't include a power cable so I can't do much with it for a few more days while I wait for one to come in from Amazon.

Good thing is I know everything on the laptop works because it was shipped with both batteries fully charged so I could test things out.

Does it not allow charging from USB-C, or is this the cable you're waiting on?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Careful Drums posted:

not the charging port lol

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Costco has the new X1 Carbon on display and holy :fap:

$1600 though, but at least it is the 16gb/512gb model.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

5.5lbs? Goons aren't bodybuilders.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Boiled Water posted:

Does it not allow charging from USB-C, or is this the cable you're waiting on?

There is a USB-C port on it but I don't think you can charge the laptop through it, idk. When you look at the laptop its clear it was designed for the proprietary Lenovo-style charger. And I actually don't own any usb-c things with which to try it!

Statutory Ape posted:

not the charging port lol

Yeah but the fact that it came w/ two charged batteries and its otherwise perfectly clean means its probably fine.

e: gently caress me you can charge this thing through the usb-c/thunderbolt 3 port

Careful Drums fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Mar 26, 2018

Spaceguns
Aug 28, 2007

Seriously is this a reliable brand? Fighting with my Dell i7559 today after the Nvidia 960m seems to have died. Can't boot without disabling the card in safe mode, sent all day running troubleshooting hail Mary's, etc.

Not usually into systems that try to be flashy but if this is a solid machine may pull the trigger on it asap.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Spaceguns posted:

Seriously is this a reliable brand? Fighting with my Dell i7559 today after the Nvidia 960m seems to have died. Can't boot without disabling the card in safe mode, sent all day running troubleshooting hail Mary's, etc.

Not usually into systems that try to be flashy but if this is a solid machine may pull the trigger on it asap.

it is not.

If you want reliable buy something like a lenovo t series or a macbook.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Tsyni posted:

5.5lbs? Goons aren't bodybuilders.

This exact helios is half of Statutory Ape's two-laptop stack that weighs less than that stupid Precision with optional lovely Quatro.

Spaceguns
Aug 28, 2007

Boiled Water posted:

it is not.

Thanks much. Not in a huge hurry as I can just not game for a while but will need to find a replacement. Trying to avoid going the desktop route as I have in the past due to needing to travel frequently and the 7559 served that purpose fairly well until this past weekend. Which is biting me in the rear end at the moment as I'd normally just change the card out which isn't an option in this case.

Will look into Lenovo once I throw in the towel on this one. Avoiding MacBook due to games and being a lifetime windows user/experienced troubleshooter.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Boiled Water posted:

it is not.

Is there a "reliable" performance laptop brand?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Spaceguns posted:

i mean, its an acer? i have one and just traveled 4500 miles with it. a lot of people ITT have one.

its as solid a machine as you are going to get for those specs at that price. runs everything i throw at it on max settings :shrug:

the only thing i did was add a 2TB firecuda drive

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Spaceguns posted:

Thanks much. Not in a huge hurry as I can just not game for a while but will need to find a replacement. Trying to avoid going the desktop route as I have in the past due to needing to travel frequently and the 7559 served that purpose fairly well until this past weekend. Which is biting me in the rear end at the moment as I'd normally just change the card out which isn't an option in this case.

Will look into Lenovo once I throw in the towel on this one. Avoiding MacBook due to games and being a lifetime windows user/experienced troubleshooter.

keep in mind that the guy that told you that machine isnt reliable also had to return an xps 15 four times, which is considered one of the best laptops for consumers period lol

PCjr sidecar posted:

This exact helios is half of Statutory Ape's two-laptop stack that weighs less than that stupid Precision with optional lovely Quatro.

hey that quadro quatro whatever thing has a full one hundred twenty eight megabytes of video memory

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
I just realized that a mobile GTX 1060 is similar if not slightly better than my desktop's GTX 970. Holy poo poo times have changed. Maybe I'll just get this helios 300?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Statutory Ape posted:

So i took the helios 300 to my vacation house to use there as my main computer for a bit.

Thoughts: with the 2tb firecuda it holds everything I'd want it to with room to spare. Even coming from a dual monitor 1440-144hz / 4k 27/28 inch setup the screen is fine for me. I do miss the second screen but my tablet would have sufficed fine if I really cared.

It's pretty beefy spec wise so it handled any amount of multitasking I threw at it. I was playing codww2 on max settings until i got bored of it and had no issues.

Two things I would say would be worth mentioning: right handed mouse users will sincerely dislike the placement of the usb port on that side. The power is there too but never got in my way.

There is a left side usb-a port so I could just use a hub, which, I even brought with me. I'm just not using the machine enough to really care since I'm only here a bit over a week and I'm enjoying the outdoors.

The final thing I would consider is looking into a cooling pad, maybe. It's actually running fine without it and isn't getting too too hot but the intakes are on the bottom and I'm pancaking it on a granite slab for a desk.

The biggest deficient area is actually the backpack I purchased to move it all, but, alas, thats a different story.

Razzled posted:

I just realized that a mobile GTX 1060 is similar if not slightly better than my desktop's GTX 970. Holy poo poo times have changed. Maybe I'll just get this helios 300?

i'd rather have a GTX1060 as long as it was the 6gb version, which the helios 300 has

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Razzled posted:

Not to my knowledge. Although reliable should be asked as: "How long do you need it to be reliable for?"

Spaceguns
Aug 28, 2007

Boiled Water posted:

Not to my knowledge. Although reliable should be asked as: "How long do you need it to be reliable for?"

Well definitely not have components crap out after 16 months of non-intensive use like this current one.

Dell support wants me to ship it in for assessment at $60 for the fast turn around with a quote of $250 if the motherboard needs replaced. Guess it's time to not game for a while and add "shop for new laptop" on my to do list.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

That's a good deal.

PCjr sidecar posted:

Its MXM III. Replace the Quadro with whatever the gently caress you can find that fits the heatsink. I put a Radeon R9 M200x in mine. Dell doesn't whitelist the GPUs.

Razzled posted:

If you want "reliable" performance, you want like a Lenovo P series/HP Elitebook/Dell Precision. Outside of that: We've had a couple Asus ROGs and they were decent.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Mar 26, 2018

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

My dad is looking to finally upgrade his old laptop. I'd like to recommend him something with your help.

Mostly using it for internet browsing, but as he gets closer to retirement he wants to go deeper into his photography hobby so something powerful enough to run photoshop and with a big enough hard drive to handle more than a few gigantic resolution images.

The screen doesn't need to be fantastic, he has a little workstation set up to plug in a desktop monitor and 104 keyboard for when he gets serious about it. He mostly wants to prioritize mobility and battery life without it being too tiny. And he's not dropping windows anytime soon.

Region is the U.S. and price range is $600(or whatever the new bare minimum is)-$800 though I'd imagine the upper end might be a bit more flexible if a good enough deal came along.

TIA

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Tuxedo Ted posted:

My dad is looking to finally upgrade his old laptop. I'd like to recommend him something with your help.

Mostly using it for internet browsing, but as he gets closer to retirement he wants to go deeper into his photography hobby so something powerful enough to run photoshop and with a big enough hard drive to handle more than a few gigantic resolution images.

The screen doesn't need to be fantastic, he has a little workstation set up to plug in a desktop monitor and 104 keyboard for when he gets serious about it. He mostly wants to prioritize mobility and battery life without it being too tiny. And he's not dropping windows anytime soon.

Region is the U.S. and price range is $600(or whatever the new bare minimum is)-$800 though I'd imagine the upper end might be a bit more flexible if a good enough deal came along.

TIA

XPS 13 seems like is the standard recommendation for light photoshopping. You can get them with touch screens as well, and I think there is a 2-in-1 flip style model too. Tons of them on the Dell Refurb Outlet for decent price:

http://outlet.us.dell.com/ArbOnline...ukWraraR8mset5f

Alternate Option: Lenovo Yoga?

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Mar 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Spaceguns posted:

I've never had an issue with Acer laptops. My brother has the Helios 300 and it's been perfect. Get it, especially at $950, because you'd have a hard time getting the same performance from any other gaming laptop, a prebuilt gaming desktop, or by building one yourself with the current prices of GPUs in general, but also RAM.

Razzled posted:

There's little differentiation between the mobile & desktop nVidia GPUs (ignoring the MQ stuff,) and the 1060 indeed corresponds to the desktop 970 (which is roughly typical of how to compare the performance of nVidia's products, i.e. GTX A/B = GTX (A+1)/(B-10) if that makes sense.) The 1060 isn't much of an upgrade over the 970, but if you need a mobile gaming platform then it'll give you a similar experience to your desktop.

CommieGIR posted:

Its MXM III. Replace the Quadro with whatever the gently caress you can find that fits the heatsink. I put a Radeon R9 M200x in mine. Dell doesn't whitelist the GPUs.

I've never waded through the MXM secondary market before, but it seems like anything you'd want is far more expense than it's worth. Even ignoring the $500+ Pascal parts I saw on eBay, there's a 970M for $300, 880m for $400+, 680M for $250, 670M for $100, 770M for $150+, 660M for $140, etc. I mean sure, it's nice that you can upgrade some laptop GPUs, but it's not particularly cost-effective unless you scoop up a really loving good deal, and I don't think it fits the original purpose of having an inexpensive indie-gaming laptop or whatever he wanted to do with it.