Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Kazinsal posted:

Well that's magical. And entirely unsurprising given Nvidia's tendency to find interesting new ways to enforce market segmentation and HPC.

Do you really believe that crap you're saying Kazinsal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
It genuinely surprises me that Nvidia put any sort of effort into their Linux drivers after Torvalds publicly told them to gently caress themselves. That's all.

My mistake for assuming that Big Huge Market Dominator would have just said "gently caress you too buddy, have fun extracting signed firmware blobs to get your cards to boot" and continued to devise new and impressive ways to convince people to buy Quadro cards for ten times the price of an equivalent GeForce card.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
It's almost like Nvidia listens to their clients more carefully than the rants of an e-celebrity.

That happened in mid-2012, and Nvidia's drivers were way better in late 2010 and early 2011 when I was using Linux as a daily desktop. In fact that was why I ripped out my 2600 Pro with a 460 instead a 5850 of whatever was popular at the time.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Nvidia puts a lot of effort into their Linux and FreeBSD drivers since that's where a very significant chunk of their revenue comes from. That means Hollywood, not me or some other poor schmuck using nvidia card in their desktop computer. This also means that they have absolutely no reason whatsoever to open source their drivers. They're ahead, they have been ahead for the last 20 years. There's no qualms about that. AMD ... they're not even on the radar.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Torvalds is kind of an idiot. NVIDIA actually does have a solid performance argument for why their approach is superior, even if it's not the hardware-abstract approach Torvalds wanted.

He was way off on the latest AMD vulnerability too. Root password is absolutely not authentication to bypass signature authentication on PSP/IME firmware. That was a Poettering-level hot-take from Torvalds - yet another insufferable "why would that be a problem" from a person who's used to having complete+total privileges on a system.

The tech community cuts him an insane amount of slack for his outbursts, there are lots of big projects that get done without a scathing rant from the founder every 3-6 months. Probably only going to get worse as he ages.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Mar 24, 2018

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Linus is 48; and Ken Thompson created UTF-8 at about that age but oh god let's not have this discussion it's pretty clear you're operating outside of your usual pond.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Computer Serf posted:

someone FINALLY did a rent-your-GPU-for-payments brokerage thing. folding@home for beans, no USD direct yet though.

:cheerdoge:

https://vectordash.com/hosting

This will fail, just like any previous attempts at this kind of thing.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Mar 24, 2018

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
snip

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Mar 24, 2018

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I actually spoke up ahead of you to point out that not many people aside from a few evangelists are moved by Linus's "sick burns" and it certainly won't stop a company like Nvidia from doing what customers want from them. But the descent from there into open source drama natter is a conversation non-starter to a lot of people, and it's funny to see you condemning hot takes while issuing some of your own.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
snip

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Paul MaudDib posted:

Who is in charge of Go, and when was their last rant?

The 70 year old guy you said retired in the last post.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
snip

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Polite reminder that in Paul's world, if you're not praising AMD'S competitors and dissing AMD, you're wrong.

Don't let him poo poo up another thread over that.

Bloody Antlers
Mar 27, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Look everyone! Paul is having a meltdown! Ha ha ha!

Bloody Antlers
Mar 27, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

craig588 posted:

This post got me to run F@H on my PC again. I made 300 dollars from bitcoins just using the PC I already had, but I'd easily pay 300,000 for a cure to MS.

gently caress yeah, man! I think Stanford could really benefit from doing a better job of spreading the word about how much research has been published with data made possible by F@H participants. And even though human researchers have gained a lot of meaningful understanding through the project, I expect AI / deep learning will soon be able to harvest that mountain of data and find even more insights than humans have been able to.

The amount of work a single modern PC can do today is insane compared to what entire teams could handle 10+ years ago, so it is easy to imagine how much difference each person makes.

A single geforce 1080 ti has more computational power (in GFLOP/s) than the top 5 supercomputers in the world combined from year 2000, which is the year F@H launched.

Bloody Antlers fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Mar 25, 2018

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Bloody Antlers posted:

gently caress yeah, man! I think Stanford could really benefit from doing a better job of spreading the word about how much research has been published with data made possible by F@H participants. And even though human researchers have gained a lot of meaningful understanding through the project, I expect AI / deep learning will soon be able to harvest that mountain of data and find even more insights than humans have been able to.

The amount of work a single modern PC can do today is insane compared to what entire teams could handle 10+ years ago, so it is easy to imagine how much difference each person makes.

A single geforce 1080 ti has more computational power (in GFLOP/s) than the top 5 supercomputers in the world combined from year 2000, which is the year F@H launched.

So all the time I spent on F@H in the early 2000’s was mostly made irrelevant by a couple of hours in 2017 🤨

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Paul MaudDib posted:

He was way off on the latest AMD vulnerability too. Root password is absolutely not authentication to bypass signature authentication on PSP/IME firmware. That was a Poettering-level hot-take from Torvalds - yet another insufferable "why would that be a problem" from a person who's used to having complete+total privileges on a system.

yo wait slow the gently caress up a minute.

are you actually taking that CTS labs stuff seriously? Like, you're unironically referencing "vulnerabilities" published by the "security experts" in that greenscreen video on "amdflaws.com"

i think you might actually be more gullible than the guys still spending six figures on gpu rigs.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Weirdly enough, the reason I engaged Paul in that back and forth had nothing to do with Torvalds, and more his reference to Poettering.

Torvalds is like a teenager who got old but didn't grow up, bitching about everything from GNOME3 to Nvidia and "dumpstering" people working on Linux is pretty much a thing he just does. Poettering simply upset a bunch of peoples value systems by proposing systems that make Linux more competitive with commercial operating systems at the expense of it's modular hierarchy and parity with other OSes.

In my experience the people who bitch about Poettering often have a large crossover with people who are still using 10 year old computers because they refuse to use UEFI and think "a BIOS shouldn't be able to do that much." I didn't really disagree with him about Torvalds being a loose cannon.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Butbutbut The UNIX Philosophy!

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Poettering has the right idea just the wrong execution. I think that if his goal is to modernize Linux and make it into a real modern operating system, he's going about it wrong simply because he's trying to do it within the view of the greater Free Software community, a disjointed group of groups primarily composed of people who are more interested in pretending that it's the Good Ol Days where CPU time was billed by the minute and :females: weren't involved in computer science than they are about actually creating a modern free operating system.

Spicy hot take: Linux is hampered by the Free Software movement and it would have been better off without GNU. It might not have gone as far as it has, but at least it'd be something with a coherent mission statement that's worth using it for.

Spicier, hotter take: Don't engage Paul's obsessive anti-AMD baiting in any thread.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Torvalds just has a problem with authority and is a typical nerd who needs to complain about everything, I thought SA would recognize their own

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

yo wait slow the gently caress up a minute.

are you actually taking that CTS labs stuff seriously? Like, you're unironically referencing "vulnerabilities" published by the "security experts" in that greenscreen video on "amdflaws.com"

i think you might actually be more gullible than the guys still spending six figures on gpu rigs.

The vulns are real, with 1/2 of them not even being an AMD flaw per say. The whole amdflaws.com thing was hilarious though. I believe AMD released or is releasing a microcode and firmware update for the most egregious flaw (being able to bypass code signing on the PSP).

And this as well

Kazinsal posted:

Spicier, hotter take: Don't engage Paul's obsessive anti-AMD baiting in any thread.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Hey

I bought a motorcycle with bitcoin money

thanks bitcoin!

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

1gnoirents posted:

Hey

I bought a motorcycle with bitcoin money

thanks bitcoin!

Smh If you’d hedl, that bike would’ve been a Lambo in 2020 :smugbird:

Goonspeed Crypto guy, I’m helping my mom pay some debt and a friend get through a nursing career so I’ve no regrets on Crypto either 🤷🏻‍♂️

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Craptacular! posted:

In my experience the people who bitch about Poettering often have a large crossover with people who are still using 10 year old computers because they refuse to use UEFI and think "a BIOS shouldn't be able to do that much." I didn't really disagree with him about Torvalds being a loose cannon.

actually it's cos we still won't forgive him for PulseAudio.

PulseAudio: solving all your problems with Linux audio! except ones you have.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
CNBC confirms Bitmain Eth ASICs, says there's at least three others in the works

quote:

"During our travels through Asia last week, we confirmed that Bitmain has already developed an ASIC [application-specific integrated circuit] for mining Ethereum, and is readying the supply chain for shipments in 2Q18," analyst Christopher Rolland wrote in a note to clients Monday. "While Bitmain is likely to be the largest ASIC vendor (currently 70-80% of Bitcoin mining ASICs) and the first to market with this product, we have learned of at least three other companies working on Ethereum ASICs, all at various stages of development."

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

And Ethereum is taking a nosedive since these news came out

It would explain the constant rise in difficulty

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
I'm wondering if we should just remove all the mining gunk from the thread title and OP and leave this as the technical-aspects-of-the-cryptocurrency-horrorshow thread. I don't want to just go ahead and do it but I'm not maintaining the OP for any purposes of mining or recommending mining at all anymore, so I'll leave it up to the thread regulars to decide.

If so I'm open to suggestions for thread subtitles.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
My experience with mining, thanks to this thread:
* Ran my GPU for days
* Oh the transaction fee to Coinbase was raised, you’d have to mine twice as much to not have it stolen by NiceHash
* Mine 40% is the way or so on a second burrito to get there
* “Now you need to mine 3x as much as before! Transaction fees!”
* Give up, stop mining.
* “Transaction fees went down, you can now send your money to CoinBase”
* Send money to Coinbase successfully!
* Procrastinate on getting a Gyft card, Bitcoin thanks so hard my transaction is no longer able to meet Gyft’s $10 minimum.

In the end, I never tasted a burrito, I am stuck in an eternal hodl until either BTC hits $9,800 again or until Coinbase steals 60% of my money. NiceHash will inevitably have a security breach and lose the other 40%.

I basically saw all the bad of Bitcoin and I don’t mind too much. The only expense was a couple bucks of power and my GPU now making annoying noises when gaming!

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Wellcum.... to BITCOIN

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Kazinsal posted:

I'm wondering if we should just remove all the mining gunk from the thread title and OP and leave this as the technical-aspects-of-the-cryptocurrency-horrorshow thread. I don't want to just go ahead and do it but I'm not maintaining the OP for any purposes of mining or recommending mining at all anymore, so I'll leave it up to the thread regulars to decide.

If so I'm open to suggestions for thread subtitles.

ah, let it trundle along

we actually have four living crypto threads now

makes up for the Let's Read of Ready Player One

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Wellcum.... to BITCOIN

I mean at least the annoying noises can be RMAed, although I also don't think I can blame mining for coil whine. It just "feels" like the card wasquieter before I went mining. It's still in my warranty period either way.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Craptacular! posted:

Well, UEFI actually is a terrible standard that's much too complex for its own good.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Fame Douglas posted:

Well, UEFI actually is a terrible standard that's much too complex for its own good.

I mean you can have your own opinions about secure boot, but man oh man am I glad to have graphical interfaces instead of the appearance an 1985 dial-up BBS. And the thing where Windows's splash screen is merely a throbber under the mobo manufacturer's or your own is pretty sweet, too.

And as far as Hackintosh projects go, good god Clover EFI drive is much better than putting weird kexts into your system folder.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Profit is down 60% since I cashed out my hardware in February. Crypto is fun

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Stanley Pain posted:

The vulns are real, with 1/2 of them not even being an AMD flaw per say. The whole amdflaws.com thing was hilarious though. I believe AMD released or is releasing a microcode and firmware update for the most egregious flaw (being able to bypass code signing on the PSP.

I mean, it still requires a legit cert and local admin to accomplish. I wouldn't call that an "egregious flaw", if you're at the point where you could use the exploit you've already owned it so thoroughly it hardly matters if there's some cpu-specific vulnerability or not. Stuxnet this ain't.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I mean, it still requires a legit cert and local admin to accomplish. I wouldn't call that an "egregious flaw", if you're at the point where you could use the exploit you've already owned it so thoroughly it hardly matters if there's some cpu-specific vulnerability or not. Stuxnet this ain't.

One of the vulnerabilities was a bypass for the signature validation, so you didn't need a signed binary, just local admin, and then you could flash whatever you wanted down to the PSP.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That seems like a cool feature. Aren't people always complaining about the Management Engine being a black box no one can really flash anything to lacking the keys from Intel? AMD just needs to market this the right way.

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

Fame Douglas posted:

That seems like a cool feature. Aren't people always complaining about the Management Engine being a black box no one can really flash anything to lacking the keys from Intel? AMD just needs to market this the right way.

:pseudo:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt

divabot posted:

ah, let it trundle along

we actually have four living crypto threads now

I would put the links to the other 3 threads in the op though to help direct people.

Outside of that, no one reads the op anyways anymore.

• Locked thread