Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

food court bailiff posted:

Worlds of Android has convinced me to try running a cyberpunk game in the Android universe.

also I think I'm going to be using Genesys instead of The Sprawl because I'm a horrible masochist doing it properly as Android requires a little more setting control, and also my last experience with a PbtA game was weirdly bad and spooked me off of running it for a while. RIP, me.

When I ran a netrunner rpg, I used FATE because its skill list was equally applicable in cyber and meatspace. Noise can "provoke" the rototurret into firing blindly while they sneak past, or Gabe can deceive it into thinking their forged HB credentials are legit.

Bonus: your two hp tracks can be meat and net damage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Elizabeth Mills posted:

Counterpoint: the Jacetice League suuuuucks and all the good parts of OW (gremlin dva, pharmercy) were fan-created

Not unfair. And I should clarify. I preferred the Weatherlight / Legacy era when Urza's plans were things like "do genocides until stumbling into a solution for Geiger planet." And after that I was fine with the self-contained stories of Otaria through Lorwyn. The modern Magic storyline draws way too heavily on chasing Marvel's formulas. BUT, it's incontestably easier to follow and more widely known that it was during those periods.

I'm not going to agitate for Netrunner to have a band of five sassy, shippable protagonists injected into every story. But the model is sound. I think the setting is wide enough to support more narrative and a tone fitting the setting.

food court bailiff posted:

Worlds of Android has convinced me to try running a cyberpunk game in the Android universe.

also I think I'm going to be using Genesys instead of The Sprawl because I'm a horrible masochist doing it properly as Android requires a little more setting control, and also my last experience with a PbtA game was weirdly bad and spooked me off of running it for a while. RIP, me.

I can almost guarantee you that there is a Genesys book in the works for Android. The question is how much it will draw from Netrunner, because sometimes I get the feeling that FFG doesn't want Netrunner to dominate the setting. As for the other half of that, do what feels right. I like The Sprawl myself, but agree with you about the setting. The last time I had a chance to play The Sprawl was with people that didn't know cyberpunk as deeply as me and the game got very comedic, which may not be your taste.

EDIT: This probably sounds super pretentious and gatekeeper-y. I don't want to suggest there's some minimum amount of background reading a person needs to get something as mass market as Netrunner.

ZorajitZorajit fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Mar 19, 2018

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

ZorajitZorajit posted:

As for the other half of that, do what feels right. I like The Sprawl myself, but agree with you about the setting. The last time I had a chance to play The Sprawl was with people that didn't know cyberpunk as deeply as me and the game got very comedic, which may not be your taste.

Yeah, that's pretty much exactly what I'm afraid of - either wacky shenanigans or everyone being murderhobos with computers instead of spells.

A Genesys Android book would be super cool even if I ended up running it in another system.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Elizabeth Mills posted:

When I ran a netrunner rpg, I used FATE because its skill list was equally applicable in cyber and meatspace. Noise can "provoke" the rototurret into firing blindly while they sneak past, or Gabe can deceive it into thinking their forged HB credentials are legit.

Bonus: your two hp tracks can be meat and net damage

More and more I'm convinced FATE is the best rpg system that should be used for everything.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

CodfishCartographer posted:

More and more I'm convinced FATE is the best rpg system that should be used for everything.

It is really great and infinitely adaptable. The only thing it can't do is model level 0 dirt farmers and/or grimdark lo-powered dudes. Which is irrelevant because as the superspy gorilla in a karate gi on the cover aptly demonstrates, FATE is about being totally awesome all the time.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
If I may offer a counterpoint, FATE can be so all encompassing that it approaches a point where it might just be better to do free form collaborative storytelling. I don't want to start poo poo, so I'll say be piece and be done. But I've seen people get away with FATE character concepts like "Legendary Teenage Girl with The Magic Sword" that are applicable for absolutely everything. But I'm live and let live about this. If you like FATE, it's good. Same for Shadowrun or The Sprawl. I'll keep holding out for that Genesys book to see what FFG can present for it.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

I just picked up this game last week and played a few games with the Revised Core set before jumping into what I hear is the Standard format. I really enjoy the cyberpunk flavor and hidden information aspects, but immediately going to such a large card pool feels kind of overwhelming. I don't usually enjoy building my own decks, at least not when there's such a large pool of things to choose from.

Is there a smaller series of expansions or data packs that would serve as a less-complex bridge between "Revised Core Only" and "Everything Tournament Legal"?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

mp5 posted:

I just picked up this game last week and played a few games with the Revised Core set before jumping into what I hear is the Standard format. I really enjoy the cyberpunk flavor and hidden information aspects, but immediately going to such a large card pool feels kind of overwhelming. I don't usually enjoy building my own decks, at least not when there's such a large pool of things to choose from.

Is there a smaller series of expansions or data packs that would serve as a less-complex bridge between "Revised Core Only" and "Everything Tournament Legal"?

The deluxe expansions for the factions you most enjoy will give you more cards but hopefully not overwhelm you.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

mp5 posted:

If you're interested in deckbuilding, 1.1.1.1 and Cache Refresh are both good for letting you do that within the bounds of a restricted environment and for familiarizing yourself with the whole card pool, 1.1.1.1 in particular. CR has the benefit of being an "official" format so if you play it at your LGS people are more likely to know what it is, and it serves as a good starting step for IRL purchases since you're buying the product with the longest non-rotation shelf life.

For example, with 1.1.1.1 you always have (specifically 1) revised core set, so if you're intent on playing a certain faction, picking the relevant big box is a good starting point. Then you just need to find 1 data pack and 1 card. 1 card is pretty easy, you can rarely go wrong just looking at the MWL 2.1 to grab something specific and powerful. The data pack is a little bit harder. You can familiarize yourself with data packs by either picking one that gives you a lot of relevant options or just searching for a specific card and see what its data pack will let you do as a bonus.

There's also draft formats which cut down on a lot of decision making. There's plenty of ways to do it but ultimately when you have to pick the best 40 out of 60-80 cards you have a lot more room to play with and experiment with new cards without being paralyzed by the indecision of "hmm of the 500 cards in the pool which 30 do i put my deck"

If you're just interested in playing, I think just looking at net decks off NetrunnerDB and playing them to see -why- specific things are powerful is probably the best way to learn standard, and eventually you'll familiarize yourself with the meta and can branch out from there. It's one thing to just stick a clippy in every deck, it's another entirely to understand -why- clippy gets played so much, and when you can get away with NOT using him, and the only way to really know that is just to play a lot.

Minera fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 21, 2018

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

mp5 posted:

Seconding the vote for the deluxe expansions. Look up the factions you're interested in and grab what you need. Shaper, for example, is....really hard to play without some support from Creation&Control. They have the benefit of giving you a much bigger pool of IDs to choose from as well, so if you like a lot of Weyland ICE but barely get any benefit from an extra credit off of Operations, Order&Chaos could let you slot in one of three new IDs that might suit your playstyle better.

Alternate formats are definitely a route you could go down but make sure your local scene has some support for them. For just kitchen-table gaming the deluxe expansions are really great.

One other thing you might want to look into if you play a lot with the same person is the Terminal Directive campaign box. It does some...interesting things. I like it but it's kind of cheesy. But the cool thing is it comes with a bunch of cards for Shaper and Crim on the Runner side, and Weyland and H-B on the Corp - plus playing it campaign style can be a nice way to introduce cards to the pool more slowly.

e: also welcome to this super rad friggin' game :D

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Mar 21, 2018

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
I'm going to recommend Cache Refresh over 1.1.1.1. The latter doesn't actually cut down the card pool, because you're still choosing from every available card and ultimately skews even more so to enfranchised players. Ask your local event organizer if they would be willing to arrange one, I think our local is doing one soon. All that said, don't feel bad about competing with whatever you have. Netrunner can be daunting, but the community is very supportive too.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

One other thing to note - don't feel like you need to buy absolutely everything right away, if there's a handful of cards you want to try out basically everybody outside of an official tournament will let you proxy some stuff. Since things aren't restricted by rare random picks there's really no reason not to.

e: on that note major thanks for this heads-up so I don't have to proxy Trope and Film Critic in my test decks anymore. Also I kind of want to run Vanity Project in something, because I am dumb, and love Oz.

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Mar 21, 2018

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

ZorajitZorajit posted:

I'm going to recommend Cache Refresh over 1.1.1.1. The latter doesn't actually cut down the card pool, because you're still choosing from every available card and ultimately skews even more so to enfranchised players. Ask your local event organizer if they would be willing to arrange one, I think our local is doing one soon. All that said, don't feel bad about competing with whatever you have. Netrunner can be daunting, but the community is very supportive too.

Hey thanks! I've been trying to get Netrunner rolling at my shop and CR looks great for that.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

ZorajitZorajit posted:

My local event organizer is the Kitchen Table so I'm figuring a lot of this out on my own

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

mp5 posted:

My local event organizer is the Kitchen Table so I'm figuring a lot of this out on my own

Netrunner is really, really good as a kitchen table kinda game.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Somberbrero posted:

Hey thanks! I've been trying to get Netrunner rolling at my shop and CR looks great for that.

Keep me posted on that, I've been looking for a reason to swing by your shop!

mp5 posted:

Totally understandable, still happy to help. For what it's worth, I'm envious of you getting to play kitchen table. I only play events and it skews my experience in that direction.

agscala
Jul 12, 2008

When people say Cache Refresh is an "official" format, is it formally acknowledged by FFG or is it just a widely accepted format sanctioned by the players?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

It was used as an official tournament format in 2017 but only the one time, afaik. Still, it's recent enough that most people would probably know of it and be able to play in that format. I know there's been a few player run tournaments hosted on Jinteki to support it.

Minera fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Mar 22, 2018

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Also want to stress that for a local game night nobody cares if you proxy. I remember a new player made stick figure drawings on a piece of paper for the cards he didn't have and we liked them so much that he was still using them (on top of the official cards) a year later as he wiped the floor with us at store champs.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

So, is glacier finally back?

SSL Endorsement, NGO Front, and your faction's steal-preventing 5/3 of choice all seem pretty potent right now.

NGO Front behind a fuckoff wall of ice is so god drat rude. Doubly so when it's actually a 3 point agenda.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Glacier is back in a big way, yeah. Azmari Edtech glacier and Palana are the big winners right now with NGO Front. Titan is doing well with Illegal Arms Factory to try and accelerate an Atlas Train, and HB doesn't have anything right now but ASA Group is pretty okay? I think?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

The Deleter posted:

Glacier is back in a big way, yeah. Azmari Edtech glacier and Palana are the big winners right now with NGO Front. Titan is doing well with Illegal Arms Factory to try and accelerate an Atlas Train, and HB doesn't have anything right now but ASA Group is pretty okay? I think?

ASA Group is confirmed absurd, it's the first ID since NEH to really take advantage of Estelle Moon since she got thrown on Card Probation.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

When I'm playing GPI Net Tap, I make the decision to jack out BEFORE the corp makes the decision to rez the ICE, right?

Also :eyepop: Anansi is really good, god drat. Are there any other "When encounter ends" ICE, or is this the first?

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012
That's correct. GPI triggers at step 2 of the Run Timing Structure, which is before the 2.3 approached ice paid ability window. It's also worth noting that if you trash the Tap to jack out, the corp doesn't get an opportunity to rez that piece of ICE since the run immediately ends.

I'm not sold on Anansi yet, but it is the first encounter ends ICE. If they keep it up, they'll need to consider printing Shunting Grounds, though. :v:

On a different note, does anyone have any advice for Cache Refresh—either in general or for the current format specifically? My play group did a 1.1.1.1 league last year and I'm thinking about trying to organize something that is similarly casual-friendly.

Destrado
Feb 9, 2001

I thought, What a nice little city, it suits me fine. It suited me fine so I started to change it.

Auralsaurus Flex posted:

That's correct. GPI triggers at step 2 of the Run Timing Structure, which is before the 2.3 approached ice paid ability window. It's also worth noting that if you trash the Tap to jack out, the corp doesn't get an opportunity to rez that piece of ICE since the run immediately ends.

There's one gotcha with this: If it's not the outermost ice on the server, the runner can trigger GPI, presumably gain Zumba credits and Turtle counters, and still have a window to jack out normally without trashing GPI.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

Destrado posted:

There's one gotcha with this: If it's not the outermost ice on the server, the runner can trigger GPI, presumably gain Zumba credits and Turtle counters, and still have a window to jack out normally without trashing GPI.

Quoting for emphasis. This is true and really insane.

Minrad posted:

Also :eyepop: Anansi is really good, god drat. Are there any other "When encounter ends" ICE, or is this the first?

This is the first "When encounter ends" ice, and it's insane. It's as mean as DNA tracker for a similar rez cost, but it also shuts down any non-breaker solutions (can't be bypassed without taking the 3 net), it's a weird ICE type (Sentry breakers are almost universally expensive), and its subroutines are an awesome Corp tempo boost in addition to being a brutal runner face-check. I can't believe it isn't unique.

QuantumNinja fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Apr 1, 2018

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

For a while it seemed the game was unbelievably slanted towards runners. Blackmail Val and hilariously OP breakers like Paperclip and Aumakua we're oppressive as hell and the Corp lost Jackson while the runners got Rumor Mill.

Glacier was completely dead, and the only strategies were similar un-fun CtM and IG prison bullshit.

The game is SOOO much better right now, it's like being in Rav-Time Spiral block right after Mirrodin-Kamigawa in terms of fun great cards vs. 1 or 2 oppressive archetypes. Having ice that beats the runners attmpts to not have to break ice (and NGO Front in a big supporting role) makes the current meta feel a lot like netrunner as it's described on the box.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

https://imgur.com/a/qU13L

leeeeaks!!!

Hope yall are ready for some virus decks! :toot:

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

I wanna slap rogue trading in some cheeky link criminal deck using citadel sanctuary and power taps to just make like 12 creds a turn for two clicks

e: oh yeah, why wouldn't I just do this in Sunny instead :negative:

Minera fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Apr 2, 2018

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
419 might be the shot in the arm that Criminal needed.

City Works Project is just a drat solid Agenda, and there's some great combo potential for advancing it a dozen times and never scoring it until you use it to fast advance something else.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

PMush Perfect posted:

419 might be the shot in the arm that Criminal needed.

City Works Project is just a drat solid Agenda, and there's some great combo potential for advancing it a dozen times and never scoring it until you use it to fast advance something else.

There could maybe be some potential of advancing it to the point of murder, then holding onto it until you reach 4 points. Dunno how viable that would be though, since you'd need to protect a different scoring server. Maybe if you can get it set up early on behind some gear check ice? But then you'd be sacrificing a ton of tempo early on.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I was mostly thinking of using it in Trick of Light and friends decks.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

What other ways can a runner trash an installed agenda outside of Apocalypse?

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

mp5 posted:

What other ways can a runner trash an installed agenda outside of Apocalypse?

Imp or singularity

Analog dreamers on no adv agenda( not a trash but it’s uninstalled

Could also put it on film Critic and then sell the critic to aesops

sonatinas fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Apr 2, 2018

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Yeah, fair, Film Critic works well, but there's that new asset that blanks a resource, so there's a counter for that now, at least.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

sonatinas posted:

Imp or singularity

Analog dreamers on no adv agenda( not a trash but it’s uninstalled

Could also put it on film Critic and then sell the critic to aesops

Imp still accesses and thus you'd take the damage, right?

I'm kinda getting the itch to get back in, especially on Jinteki bc buying up all the poo poo I missed on a whim sucks.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

StashAugustine posted:

Imp still accesses and thus you'd take the damage, right?

I'm kinda getting the itch to get back in, especially on Jinteki bc buying up all the poo poo I missed on a whim sucks.

Yeah, if you are referring to City Works, then it's similar to Fetal AI I think. Get your interdictions out to your film critic's don't get blanked.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

By Any Means would reduce the damage to 1.

You could also use Paparazzi to prevent meat and Independent Thinking to trash Papa before your turn ends.

Also, you could Exploratory Romp first to reduce the damage.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

If City Works Project is the only rezzed corp card when you install Muertos Gang Member, does it get derezzed? It only says that it is installed faceup, not that it can never be face down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Agendas aren't rezzed, they're simply faceup. MGM has never worked on public agendas. (I did get a Public Support with it once)