Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Twin Cinema posted:

In a standard 5x5 league where OBP takes the place of AVG, how much of a bump does that give Votto? I have him ranked in the top-20, but does he jump into the top-10? Would you rank him ahead of Freeman (who I have ranked 12th)?

Sounds like it's Joey Gallo time :discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
10 Team League with like 50x50 stats per Batting and Pitching, like, all of them.

Imagine if you will, preparing for the draft and then having to do it on a mobile app that you are not familiar with and having 1st pick then accidentally drafting 3 pitchers with your first 3 picks because before you could click on other player that you wanted, you don't understand what is happening as time for pick runs out, and then the Benny Hill theme song starts and it goes downhill from there.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.
My draft is in three hours and I've barely prepared :eng99:

I dunno, I really feel like I want to go ace-ace with my first two picks (two of Kershaw, Kluber, Scherzer, Sale) - is that crazy (in H2H)? I feel like the underlying strategy behind not doing that was always "ace pitchers are a dime a dozen on the WW and 30+ homers is a rarity" but more than ever it feels like the opposite is true.

Follow-up: would it be viable to just draft a bunch of ace pitchers with my early picks with serviceable batters, knowing that (a) there will probably be good batters on the WW and (b) I can probably win trades later on when people are desperate for pitching?

I went with normal strategy (good batters in the early rounds, an ace or two, fill up with SP later on) last year and got absolutely crushed when my entire pitching staff fell apart / sucked :eng99: I can't tell if wanting to go SP-focused is me being strategic or if it's me rationalizing an overreaction to hating my team last year.

Also if people want to share sleepers (I'm not in any goon leagues) they'll get an e-fistbump from me :j::respek::v:

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Murmur Twin posted:

My draft is in three hours and I've barely prepared :eng99:

I dunno, I really feel like I want to go ace-ace with my first two picks (two of Kershaw, Kluber, Scherzer, Sale) - is that crazy (in H2H)? I feel like the underlying strategy behind not doing that was always "ace pitchers are a dime a dozen on the WW and 30+ homers is a rarity" but more than ever it feels like the opposite is true.

Follow-up: would it be viable to just draft a bunch of ace pitchers with my early picks with serviceable batters, knowing that (a) there will probably be good batters on the WW and (b) I can probably win trades later on when people are desperate for pitching?

I went with normal strategy (good batters in the early rounds, an ace or two, fill up with SP later on) last year and got absolutely crushed when my entire pitching staff fell apart / sucked :eng99: I can't tell if wanting to go SP-focused is me being strategic or if it's me rationalizing an overreaction to hating my team last year.

Also if people want to share sleepers (I'm not in any goon leagues) they'll get an e-fistbump from me :j::respek::v:

I once went the ace pitching route and I barely was .500 then entire season. I'd get creamed in all the offensive categories and squeak by on pitching.

At the most draft one ace, but even the second tier 'aces' (think guys like Verlander or Archer) are more than fine to anchor a staff.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Rand alPaul posted:

I once went the ace pitching route and I barely was .500 then entire season. I'd get creamed in all the offensive categories and squeak by on pitching.

At the most draft one ace, but even the second tier 'aces' (think guys like Verlander or Archer) are more than fine to anchor a staff.

Oh don't get me wrong, I've definitely seen people try to do it and get crushed in the past (which is why I'm extremely tentative / looking for other opinions). My thought is that it's only viable because of how hitting-heavy the league has gotten in the last year. I was hit bad by injuries on both fronts last year but finding replacement batters was simple while finding good pitching felt impossible.

In all likelihood I'll get amped for drafting pitcher-heavy and then chicken out at the last minute.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Murmur Twin posted:

Oh don't get me wrong, I've definitely seen people try to do it and get crushed in the past (which is why I'm extremely tentative / looking for other opinions). My thought is that it's only viable because of how hitting-heavy the league has gotten in the last year. I was hit bad by injuries on both fronts last year but finding replacement batters was simple while finding good pitching felt impossible.

In all likelihood I'll get amped for drafting pitcher-heavy and then chicken out at the last minute.

Yeah it might work this season? I don't know. The last season was so bizarre. My thought is that I'll get an ace if they're a bargain for their draft slot.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
I went Sale/Kluber in one league, but only because I was at the 12th/13th turn and the hitters I wanted were gone.

I'd say if you can nab one of the top 5, go for it. But there are discount arms to be had.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Bregor posted:

Sounds like it's Joey Gallo time :discourse:

Speaking of Votto and Gallo, are there any other hitters who get a bump in OBP leagues? Carlos Santana is an obvious one.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Khris Davis, Jake Lamb, Mark Reynolds

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Moneyball posted:

Khris Davis, Jake Lamb, Mark Reynolds

Does Mark Reynolds have a job?

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

I need some strategy advice for my money league draft coming up on Sunday night... The settings are a little crazy.

Roster Positions: C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, LF, CF, RF, Util, Util, SP, SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P, P, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, DL, DL, DL, DL, NA

Batters Stat Categories: Runs (R), Home Runs (HR), Runs Batted In (RBI), Stolen Bases (SB), Total Bases (TB), On-base Percentage (OBP)

Pitchers Stat Categories: Wins (W), Saves (SV), Strikeouts (K), Holds (HLD), Earned Run Average (ERA), (Walks + Hits)/ Innings Pitched (WHIP), Quality Starts (QS)

I'm planning to take 2 SP in the first 4-5 rounds, but beyond that I'm not sure. Anyone have any advice?

Got the 5th pick.... not sure what I'm gonna do here.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Well that was fun. I'm pretty happy with my money league team.

12 team H2H

Max transactions for season: 35

Batters Stat Categories: Runs (R), Home Runs (HR), Runs Batted In (RBI), Stolen Bases (SB), Total Bases (TB), On-base Percentage (OBP)

Pitchers Stat Categories: Wins (W), Saves (SV), Strikeouts (K), Holds (HLD), Earned Run Average (ERA), (Walks + Hits)/ Innings Pitched (WHIP), Quality Starts (QS)

I'm gonna move Shaw to 3B once Manny gets SS eligibility.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Mar 26, 2018

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Moneyball posted:

I went Sale/Kluber in one league, but only because I was at the 12th/13th turn and the hitters I wanted were gone.

I'd say if you can nab one of the top 5, go for it. But there are discount arms to be had.

Sup Sale/Kluber buddy. I got them at 13/16. Also got Lester in the 8th round in a 14 team league to anchor my SPs.

League doesn't differentiate between SP/RP and has NSVH instead of saves so I loaded up on high strikeout middle releivers and setup men and focused on cheap power (OPS league) on the offensive side.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

the_american_dream posted:

Got roped into a category based h2h league thats way different than the points leagues im used to. Im assuming this is the type of league where the "gently caress pitching" sentiments here come from.

Im guessing I can just sort fangraphs and draft accordingly with this scoring?

Batters Stat Categories: Runs (R), Hits (H), Home Runs (HR), Runs Batted In (RBI), Stolen Bases (SB), Walks (BB), Batting Average (AVG)
Pitchers Stat Categories: Wins (W), Losses (L), Saves (SV), Strikeouts (K), Earned Run Average (ERA), (Walks + Hits)/ Innings Pitched (WHIP), Quality Starts (QS)

Any draft strategy recs would be appreciated :)

Ok so apart from yahoo auto drafting Trea Turner at 4 for me, I stuck to the All of The Arms plan. My bats suck but thatll happen. Hows this look?

Sp. Kluber
Sp. Syndergaard
Sp. Severino
Sp. Carrasco
Sp. Greinke
Rp. W. Davis
Rp. Melancon

L. Castillo
Ohtani
Duffy
Parker

C Castillo
1b Sano
2b Albies
3b Shaw
SS Turner
OF Castellanos
OF Piscotty
OF Deshields
Util Andrus
Util Nunez

Kingery
Avila

yea my bats are sad as gently caress

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

the_american_dream posted:

Ok so apart from yahoo auto drafting Trea Turner at 4 for me, I stuck to the All of The Arms plan. My bats suck but thatll happen. Hows this look?

yea my bats are sad as gently caress

Your infield isn't that bad, but yeah the OF and UTIL are not great.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Your infield isn't that bad, but yeah the OF and UTIL are not great.

Yea haven’t done a cat league before but picked up Zimmer and Dyson this morning. Going all in on arm cats and steals. No idea if this is viable or not

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

I've never played in a league where batting average was replaced with OBP. How does that affect things? Obviously it makes some players better assets, and some less valuable, but does it change the overall strategy?

I've played in leagues (HGH goon league is one) where walks are a counting stat. Pretty simple to draft for that: higher BB% = good. But OBP seems harder because OBP is more than just walk rate. Like you can say OMG draft Joey Gallo, and yeah his OBP was OK last year. It didn't kill you like his horrific batting average did. But it didn't win the category for you, either.

I would've guessed that there's more separation between good and bad batting averages than good and bad OBPs. Because there are players who hit for contact but don't walk, and guys who walk but whiff a lot, so there'd be a bunch of guys clustered in the .330-.340 range? But I guess I'm wrong. In 2017, among qualified hitters, batting average ranged from .346 (Altuve) to .203 (Joey Bats), a spread of .143 points. OBP had a much larger range, .202 points (Votto's .454 to Odor's .252). Is OBP therefore more important than AVG? Also I wonder if its more predictable/less variable than AVG.

How have you guys approached drafting for OBP leagues?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

The Pussy Boss posted:

I've never played in a league where batting average was replaced with OBP. How does that affect things? Obviously it makes some players better assets, and some less valuable, but does it change the overall strategy?

I've played in leagues (HGH goon league is one) where walks are a counting stat. Pretty simple to draft for that: higher BB% = good. But OBP seems harder because OBP is more than just walk rate. Like you can say OMG draft Joey Gallo, and yeah his OBP was OK last year. It didn't kill you like his horrific batting average did. But it didn't win the category for you, either.

I would've guessed that there's more separation between good and bad batting averages than good and bad OBPs. Because there are players who hit for contact but don't walk, and guys who walk but whiff a lot, so there'd be a bunch of guys clustered in the .330-.340 range? But I guess I'm wrong. In 2017, among qualified hitters, batting average ranged from .346 (Altuve) to .203 (Joey Bats), a spread of .143 points. OBP had a much larger range, .202 points (Votto's .454 to Odor's .252). Is OBP therefore more important than AVG? Also I wonder if its more predictable/less variable than AVG.

How have you guys approached drafting for OBP leagues?

It isn't necessarily that BB% > AVG, but lots of fantasy players won't make the adjustment (particularly if they're using rankings based on AVG leagues which a LOT of them are) and so high OBP guys are slept on. Santana is a perfect example and since I always play OBP leagues I wind up with him every year.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm in a crazy league. It's 10 team, but 2 owners didn't show up for the draft and told the commissioner they don't want in. So the commissioner is killing the two teams and dumping every player onto free agency. This league uses free agent auction so it's going to result in crazy bids for Altuve.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

That sounds awful.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

That sounds awful.

Yeah I wish we'd just redrafted or got two new owners. Instead it's pandemonium.

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,
el que pinta es el pintor.

Rand alPaul posted:

I'm in a crazy league. It's 10 team, but 2 owners didn't show up for the draft and told the commissioner they don't want in. So the commissioner is killing the two teams and dumping every player onto free agency. This league uses free agent auction so it's going to result in crazy bids for Altuve.

Does this league have $0 bids? If so, everyone should be spending all of their FAAB on Altuve.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

pragan4 posted:

Does this league have $0 bids? If so, everyone should be spending all of their FAAB on Altuve.

Nope you need $1 to get a FA. So like $81 on Altuve? gently caress Jose Ramirez is available, too. Kris Bryant, Kluber, Severino, Carrasco, Betts, Machado.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Dude needs to just lock the teams and play out the season

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
If it's two full rosters I would redraft. Dumping them to FA is insane.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

Moneyball posted:

Dude needs to just lock the teams and play out the season

Yeah, we had a dude in a football league drop his entire roster like 2 weeks before the playoffs, had to have the commish put them all back on his team, lock his roster, and booted him from the league. That was fun...

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I am in a 5x5 OBP, 10-team league that drafted last night. Indulge me and read my thoughts as the draft went on.

- I had the 7th pick, and it was between Harper and Votto. I went with Harper, because it's really hard to deny his upside. He comes with a lot of risk (injuries/another down year), but man, he could be the best hitter in baseball.
- For my 3rd pick, it was between Springer and Bellinger. It was a flip of the coin, but I think I am going to regret this.
- I was ready to draft one of Carrasco or deGrom with my 4th pick, and they literally went back-to-back before I could pick. I ended up with Carlos Martinez. I am happy. I usually wait to draft pitchers, though. Donaldson went after Martinez, and as a Jays fan, I probably made the wrong choice. If my first four picks were Harper, Bryant, Springer, and Donaldson, my hitting probably would have been set. Martinez wouldn't have lasted until my next pick, but Robbie Ray and Darvish were still there (I ended up taking Darvish with my 6th pick).
- Literally every player I sat on -- Gallo, Odor, Realmuto -- got picked a few picks before I was about to. I know, complaining about not getting Odor in an OBP league (well, any league really).
- I ended up with 3 Cardinals starters -- Martinez, Weaver, and Wacha -- but it's going to take a lot more for me to cheer for the Cardinals.
- I was able to draft and stash Zach Britton in the 21st round. Then I went ahead and picked up Choo.
- I had Betances last year, but I guess I am a sucker for punishment, because I nabbed him in the 22nd round.

Can baseball start now?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I want nothing to do with Harper. You're gonna get one of the following values from him.

A: Slightly ahead of where you picked him (2015)
B: Good but misses a third of the season (2017)
C: Guy picked 10-15 rounds later because he's probably playing hurt (2016)
D: Misses a third of the season AND playing hurt when he's actually in the lineup (2013, 2014)

So that's one season out of five where he's actually worth where you drafted him. Or you could take Votto who's basically the opposite, with 162, 62, 158, 158, 162 games played the last five years and an incredibly consistent statline.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Mar 27, 2018

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

edit: nevermind, picked Pomeranz up as a free agent and stashed him.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Mar 27, 2018

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Draft is soon and I am out of the loop on young guys who have won jobs on their teams who look like steals. Quick guide?

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

quote:

All the Way Mae's Infection Jose Altuve, Hou 2B $69 Added.

Nice.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

which side would you rather have in an obp league, slg and qs added

side 1 receives: carlos martinez, tanner roark, free slot

side 2 receives: zack godley, chase anderson, javier baez

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Who will have the better year - Stroman or Hendricks? Deciding on my final keeper.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

I want nothing to do with Harper. You're gonna get one of the following values from him.

A: Slightly ahead of where you picked him (2015)
B: Good but misses a third of the season (2017)
C: Guy picked 10-15 rounds later because he's probably playing hurt (2016)
D: Misses a third of the season AND playing hurt when he's actually in the lineup (2013, 2014)

So that's one season out of five where he's actually worth where you drafted him. Or you could take Votto who's basically the opposite, with 162, 62, 158, 158, 162 games played the last five years and an incredibly consistent statline.

Oh, believe me, I fully agree with you. If I could go back, I would change my pick. Part of me has even thought about dangling Harper for Votto, just to right the wrong.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Paperback Writer posted:

Who will have the better year - Stroman or Hendricks? Deciding on my final keeper.

Hendricks.

Abel Wingnut posted:

which side would you rather have in an obp league, slg and qs added

side 1 receives: carlos martinez, tanner roark, free slot

side 2 receives: zack godley, chase anderson, javier baez

How deep is the league? If there’s any roster churn at all I’ll take the CMart side.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
:siren: Brad Boxberger will be Arizona's closer to open the season gogogogogogo :siren:

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

:siren: Brad Boxberger will be Arizona's closer to open the season gogogogogogo :siren:

Already grabbed him in one league, but I just dropped him a few days ago in another. He goes through waivers tonight and I can't put a claim in. :(

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Already grabbed him in one league, but I just dropped him a few days ago in another. He goes through waivers tonight and I can't put a claim in. :(

I just dropped Devenski and scooped him up. My brother is in this league and didn't draft his closers very well, so I was honestly tempted to text him but it's too much money on the line to be brotherly.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

I just dropped Devenski and scooped him up. My brother is in this league and didn't draft his closers very well, so I was honestly tempted to text him but it's too much money on the line to be brotherly.

I hear ya, glad the one league I could get him in was my money league.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
There's something a little funny about everyone only drafting Samardzija because he's "always healthy, an innings workhorse"... and then he gets injured right before day 1.

In other news, I got drunk and drafted Brent Honeywell over the weekend. I'm shocked IcePhoenix hasn't called me out, yet.

e: He doesn't have a lot of value other than his endurance, so... agree to disagree.
vvvvvvv

SouthShoreSamurai fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Mar 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

There's something a little funny about everyone only drafting Samardzija because he's "always healthy, an innings workhorse"... and then he gets injured right before day 1.

this is, in fact, not funny

• Locked thread