Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
-Blade
Trump
Doctor
Sex
Cake
View Results

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

im in favor of generously helping them, bc i'm a bleeding heart like that, but lets be real. "take a government handout so you can leave the only town you've ever known and drastically change your way of life" wouldn't have won many votes with these people either.

"even if you don't, we'll fight to keep the social programs that provide you with your disability checks and your rural hospitals going" would have been a good thing to add, but nope

the controlled opposition isn't even allowed to flaunt its actual former accomplishments

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
So many jobs are becoming able to work remotely. Why not create a council that works with companies that can get them retrained to work remotely.

poo poo, even if it's working a call center for the IRS or something. Just source them out to Jobobs in bumblefuck nowhere. Almost every phone system has these capabilities today. You don't need to have them all packed into a room at a single location anymore. All the manual labor jobs are already eliminated mostly from robots. Even if coal came back, it would be machines doing the work, not the people sitting in a room screaming.

Philthy has issued a correction as of 00:26 on Mar 22, 2018

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Philthy posted:

So many jobs are becoming able to work remotely. Why not create a council that works with companies that can get them retrained to work remotely.

poo poo, even if it's working a call center for the IRS or something. Just source them out to Jobobs in bumblefuck nowhere. Almost every phone system has these capabilities today. You don't need to have them all packed into a room at a single location anymore. All the manual labor jobs are already eliminated mostly from robots. Even if coal came back, it would be machines doing the work, not the people sitting in a room screaming.

actual high-paying remote work positions are pretty much all "you know what to do by yourself" senior development or design positions

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

bob dobbs is dead posted:

actual high-paying remote work positions are pretty much all "you know what to do by yourself" senior development or design positions

We’ve hired 17k remote w@h agents at 12$/hr avg, some lower some higher. I’m still fighting to keep my actual office bc I like the isolation from distraction.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Ignore this, didn't mean to post

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/978081991429099520?s=19

rip in piss remington

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Didn't Remmington start going down the tubes months ago?

IIRC, they were owned by some predatory venture capital firm.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
or so i read earlier itt, yeah; they were getting hosed by bain even given how gun manufacturers are shedding bucks like crazy given there ain't a scary black man in the oval office anymore

either way, :toot:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
death

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Zeroisanumber posted:

Didn't Remmington start going down the tubes months ago?

IIRC, they were owned by some predatory venture capital firm.

TELL ME ABOUT BAIN

WHY DO THEY ADD THE DEBT

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
Washington Apple Growers Fret Over Possible Chinese Tariffs

quote:

With China threatening to slap the United States with $3 billion in retaliatory tariffs, one group that is worried is Washington state’s apple farmers.

The state’s growers export a third of their crop to more than 60 countries around the world, and China has been one of their biggest customers. According to statistics gathered by the Washington Apple Commission, China was the sixth largest international apple market for the state between 2013-2016.

According to Todd Fryhover, the commission’s president, many growers support President Donald Trump -- but they are worried about the prospect of China imposing tariffs in response to U.S. trade pressure.
Fryhover said apple growers are also concerned about changes to the North American Free Trade Agreement. Mexico is by far the largest international market for Washington apples, according to the commission.

:allears:

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/nicole_cliffe/status/978392249758187520?s=21

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Oh poo poo theres a whole world of these

http://www.issendai.com/psychology/estrangement/

quote:

The keywords to find abusers' support communities are "estranged parents" and "grandparents' rights."

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
What is it with farmers and being big supporters of policies/politicians that will disproportionately and obviously hurt them? Like, UK farmers voting to leave the organization that pays them a significant subsidy, gives them easy access to a much larger market, and whose rules allows them to easily and legally have a bunch of Poles come work cheaply. The last bit has an extra funny conclusion, since legally nothing has changed yet - but it convinced a bunch of potential seasonal workers that the UK was too racist for the low pay to be worth it, so they stayed at home and produce was left to rot in the fields instead.

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

Potato Salad posted:

A galling admission, Senatuh

:hai:

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

A Buttery Pastry posted:

What is it with farmers and being big supporters of policies/politicians that will disproportionately and obviously hurt them? Like, UK farmers voting to leave the organization that pays them a significant subsidy, gives them easy access to a much larger market, and whose rules allows them to easily and legally have a bunch of Poles come work cheaply. The last bit has an extra funny conclusion, since legally nothing has changed yet - but it convinced a bunch of potential seasonal workers that the UK was too racist for the low pay to be worth it, so they stayed at home and produce was left to rot in the fields instead.

lack of education

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
They'll vote for whoever says vaguely nice things about them, even if the policies actively gently caress them over. Conservatives like to throw them a few bones while everyone else ignores them. Down under at least some vote Greens.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

:stare:

Holy poo poo some of these stories.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Most farmers today are just rural capitalists, not single family salt of the earth

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Lindsey O. Graham posted:

lack of education
I guess what amazes me is that they seem extra retarded compared to the usual uninformed voter, who at least have the excuse of being more removed from the business side of things than the guy who sets up deals with foreigners to buy his produce. Or who literally gets paid by the EU for merely owning agricultural land. Though at least in the latter case, this actually does seem to have swayed people toward not leaving the EU, even if some are all like "What???! The EU is gonna stop giving me free money when we leave the EU???" now. I suppose being incredibly dumb would explain why so many farmers have financial difficulties though.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

A Buttery Pastry posted:

What is it with farmers and being big supporters of policies/politicians that will disproportionately and obviously hurt them? Like, UK farmers voting to leave the organization that pays them a significant subsidy, gives them easy access to a much larger market, and whose rules allows them to easily and legally have a bunch of Poles come work cheaply.
Identity politics and the belief that owning land means the Tories will definitely help them.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Also the constant moaning about regulations so they have to spend their delicious money on making sure their crops aren't coated with arsenic and that's Got To Stop whatever the conseque-- oh no my subsidies! :( :( :(

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I guess what amazes me is that they seem extra retarded compared to the usual uninformed voter, who at least have the excuse of being more removed from the business side of things than the guy who sets up deals with foreigners to buy his produce. Or who literally gets paid by the EU for merely owning agricultural land. Though at least in the latter case, this actually does seem to have swayed people toward not leaving the EU, even if some are all like "What???! The EU is gonna stop giving me free money when we leave the EU???" now. I suppose being incredibly dumb would explain why so many farmers have financial difficulties though.

Some people have a weird blindspot where they just don’t see things that help them as part of the government. Government is politicians and regulations and PC culture and gay marriage. Government isn’t roads or subsidies or corporate welfare.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Thats one rabbit hole I wasnt expecting to fall into

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Thats one rabbit hole I wasnt expecting to fall into

:same:

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Kit Walker posted:

Some people have a weird blindspot where they just don’t see things that help them as part of the government. Government is politicians and regulations and PC culture and gay marriage. Government isn’t roads or subsidies or corporate welfare.

Don’t forget just plain old racism

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Cacafuego posted:

this is a big part.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Kit Walker posted:

I was on welfare. I was on food stamps. Did anyone ever help me? No.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I don't live in the US, but in my country too people who benefit from welfare and get all sorts of help also often vote for the right-wing populists who like to take that sort of thing away.
I would blame

Lindsey O. Graham posted:

lack of education

but also sheer spite and the fact that the aforementioned populists manage to appear more confident than anyone else because they're the most retarted. I mean, you'd think it wouldn't work to go up on the podium and just go "I'm smart and know what I'm doing" to thundering applause but welp.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Kit Walker posted:

Conservatives all over the world have made a lot of effort to cultivate this mindset, demonising 'hand-outs' with the subtle implication that medicare, subsidies and military benefits don't count because Good (white) people use them, while dirty poors (blacks and browns) get hand-outs and live high as welfare queens.

Really, you can show exactly the numbers as to how little welfare and food stamps go in the USA, and people will insist that the blacks somehow get their own special extras.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

codenameFANGIO posted:

I was on welfare. I was on food stamps. Did anyone ever help me? No.

Deserves the clip cause it's so fantastically stupid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTwpBLzxe4U

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
food stamps go in food stamps go out
you can't explain that

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Wow, thanks for the link. Amazing blog on a topic that is quite relevant to a few family members.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Cacafuego posted:

We call it "economic anxiety" nowadays.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

whydirt posted:

Most farmers today are just rural capitalists, not single family salt of the earth

kulaks, in essence

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

A Buttery Pastry posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTwpBLzxe4U

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

what about trump dying under trump because extremely lmao:

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

whydirt posted:

idaho is an agricultural pearl on the necklace that is americas farming sector and it is ruled by two families: the simplots and the albertsons

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

come on dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Former DILF posted:

idaho is an agricultural pearl on the necklace that is americas farming sector and it is ruled by two families: the simplots and the albertsons

tell me you made those names up