Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I think the problem here is that distant colonies will not lose *any* production by being distant.

Now, when they model needing to ship minerals around, then we'll be into proper sperg territory.

Why is that a problem? Distant colonies are already less efficient than nearby ones, since their systems cost more minerals and influence to claim. Plus your entire economy decentralized and hooked up with FTL communication, so it doesn't really make sense for the frontier to have a harder time accumulating minerals, since that's also where you're spending all your minerals, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Descar posted:

I also wish we could build more then one megastructure at once.
Same. I can accept that sufficiently skilled labor is going to be a bit scarce, but I control most of the galaxy, you'd think that there would be enough people to build two whole Dyson spheres. Make it follow the same sort of scaling as Titans, 1 megastructure per 2-3-400 fleet power, or maybe 1 per 400 pops. Just something so I don't have to wait for one ringworld section to finish building before I start another.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Gyrotica posted:

Honestly, I find my fun with mods that remove penalties for expanding. The curve is a bit too steep for my personal taste, particularly given that I have a bunch of crazy tradition/tech mods on.

In terms of vanilla: I don't have the numbers, so I can't say anything definitively, but it definitely feels like you hurt yourself more than you help yourself in terms of technology and unity by expanding now.

in short, you don't

it seems that way because there is a delayed benefit for any sort of expansion, but an immediate penalty. a colonized planet must fill up with pops; a conquered planet must get over the happiness penalty for being conquered; and so on. ultimately though, raw production outweighs the penalties and a bigger empire is more powerful.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

darthbob88 posted:

Same. I can accept that sufficiently skilled labor is going to be a bit scarce, but I control most of the galaxy, you'd think that there would be enough people to build two whole Dyson spheres. Make it follow the same sort of scaling as Titans, 1 megastructure per 2-3-400 fleet power, or maybe 1 per 400 pops. Just something so I don't have to wait for one ringworld section to finish building before I start another.

I still can't fathom why they even went to the trouble of coding the limit in the first place. If you can afford to build two megastructures at once why limit that? The astronomical costs are already a very sufficient limiter.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I just want O'Neill cylinders and Bernal spheres and Stanford tori.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

OwlFancier posted:

Yes, they have signfiicantly better durability than normal missiles.

Swarm Missiles have slightly less DPS, but they fire much faster, fly a lot faster and are harder to shoot down than normal missiles (and normal missiles have better tracking than torpedoes).

Swarm Missiles for small ships, Torpedoes for big ships.

Also on the Habitat influence cost increase, that makes perfect sense to me. Expanding costs influence, no matter how you do it: New systems cost influence to control with outposts, getting systems from an enemy costs influence with claims and creating new resources with a habitat costs influence. Habitats have a lot more resources than a planet-less system so they need to cost a lot more influence, especially since you are also creating those resources out of thin air and can put them in defensible locations.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Mar 26, 2018

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Baronjutter posted:

Civ (or at least the ones I've played, up to 4) I think handled this much better with their corruption mechanic.

Guess what mechanic got dropped from Civ after Civ 4.

You're right though, it was a good limiter on expansion.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Gyrotica posted:

In terms of vanilla: I don't have the numbers, so I can't say anything definitively, but it definitely feels like you hurt yourself more than you help yourself in terms of technology and unity by expanding now.

You what I think would be a good UI change? Instead of showing your raw science output on the top bar, display your teching speed as a percentage of the base speed. So 7 points with no penalty is 100%. If you're still at 7 points but your costs are up 100%, you're at 50% speed. If you have no penalty but get up to 14 somehow, that's 200%. Etc. Factor in those global research speed bonuses as well, why not.

Because, honestly, what the gently caress are those numbers on the top bar telling me? I'm producing 4.5k points of physics every month- is that good? Bad? It is a meaningless number.

DatonKallandor posted:

Also on the Habitat influence cost increase, that makes perfect sense to me. Expanding costs influence, no matter how you do it: New systems cost influence to control with outposts, getting systems from an enemy costs influence with claims and creating new resources with a habitat costs influence. Habitats have a lot more resources than a planet-less system so they need to cost a lot more influence, especially since you are also creating those resources out of thin air and can put them in defensible locations.

Okay, sure- but 200 influence for 12 tiles? You have to pay minerals for them already, and burn a perk slot on them, and you get the full tech penalty for what is a pretty small planet.

They were already a dubious proposition at 100 influence.

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Mar 27, 2018

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty
After 330 hours I finally got the Horizon Signal chain. That was something.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Considering Circle of Life was dependent on your taking Voidborn first I wonder if taking it is even worth burning the ascension slot any more. I guess it becomes extremely situational like a number of other options you can take but are then stuck with once the situation has been resolved.

I mainly used habitats to fortify choke points with no planets I could settle since any enemies would be forced to stop and invade them to take full control of the system but outside of that there's not much use for them other than generating a ton of energy if you're in a pinch (and for whatever reason have a ton of minerals to spare).

e:

Zohar posted:

After 330 hours I finally got the Horizon Signal chain. That was something.
After 688 hours I've seen it maybe twice, so I hope you savored the experience! It may be a while before you see it again.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Horizon Signal is easy to pop if you have more than one black hole.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Solid patch notes. Getting ready to do a new game, just in time.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I mainly used habitats to fortify choke points with no planets I could settle since any enemies would be forced to stop and invade them to take full control of the system but outside of that there's not much use for them other than generating a ton of energy if you're in a pinch (and for whatever reason have a ton of minerals to spare).
They took out being able to build the Warp-Preventing forts on Habitats, too.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

They took out being able to build the Warp-Preventing forts on Habitats, too.

Yes, I noticed. But the AI (or whoever you're playing against) still needs to go through the process of invading every habitat in order to take control of the system proper. They can skip it after knocking out the station if they want by the system reverts back to you after the war if your enemy wins but didn't claim it.

As a bonus the AI still sometimes gets hung up on trying to invade a planet when it cannot get armies over to it for whatever reason. Instead a fleet will just sit there bombing the place into an ever bigger pile of rubble, giving you time to rebuild or at least chase them down before they start wrecking other poo poo.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Yes, I noticed. But the AI (or whoever you're playing against) still needs to go through the process of invading every habitat in order to take control of the system proper. They can skip it after knocking out the station if they want by the system reverts back to you after the war if your enemy wins but didn't claim it.

As a bonus the AI still sometimes gets hung up on trying to invade a planet when it cannot get armies over to it for whatever reason. Instead a fleet will just sit there bombing the place into an ever bigger pile of rubble, giving you time to rebuild or at least chase them down before they start wrecking other poo poo.
Ah, interesting.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Gort posted:

Guess what mechanic got dropped from Civ after Civ 4.

You're right though, it was a good limiter on expansion.

Civ 4 is the best Civ though

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Wafflecopper posted:

Alpha Centauri is the best Civ though

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Send help, I cannot help but take Imperial Prerogative :negative:

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

wiegieman posted:

Horizon Signal is easy to pop if you have more than one black hole.

I actually tried to do the trick with the science ship moving between black holes and never got it to fire, guess I was just really unlucky. Was worth it anyway for it to come up unexpectedly, and I'm playing a wannabe-forerunner Stargate-ish Egyptian empire atm so it seemed especially appropriate.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Send help, I cannot help but take Imperial Prerogative :negative:

As some one who loves playing around with my Barbie Dreamhouse Planets to make them just right (and wises Wiz would add more things to do with them *cough* *cough*) I used to love taking that perk, but since the change made to sectors some time ago that allowed you to manually interfere with each planet regardless of it being in your core sector or not I find it mostly pointless now. If a governor does something that offends my OCD I can just pop in and fix it without much fuss.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Loving most of these changes, but what in the name of god happened to vassalization wars?! I'm fighting one now against a far smaller neighbor, with another neighboring vassal on my side and no allies for my opponent. I've destroyed every ship he owns, occupied every system, and taken most of his planets, and I still have a -350 acceptance on him becoming a vassal. I'm bombarding his last two planets down for a ground invasion now, but unless that -350 disappears with them, it doesn't seem like it's actually possible to win? Even getting up to 100% on war exhaustion- and god knows how long that'll take when he doesn't have any fleets left for me to beat- and a few more points on occupation will still leave me with 300ish points to go.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Each system (and possibly planet?) you have claimed but do not occupy in a war counts for -100 war score. Once you finish taking the last of his systems the score will change.

You are demanding they hand over everything to you to control; you need to prove you're capable of grabbing what you want and make a point of crushing them utterly so they submit.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Playing a multiplayer game with some friends, what are a few handy ways to cause Fun(TM) things to happen?

Get synths, treat them like poo poo? Poke a FE?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Is it a bug that the AI don't like attacking crisis strongholds or something? They won't go near this Unbidden portal despite our Federation having like 10x the fleet power they do (an awakened empire happen to have the exact same government I had so they liked me and joined my Federation). Doing it myself is well beyond my means, unless there happens to be a really good fleet composition that'll give me an edge with less numbers?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Arrath posted:

Playing a multiplayer game with some friends, what are a few handy ways to cause Fun(TM) things to happen?

Get synths, treat them like poo poo? Poke a FE?

Planet Crack a Holy World.

Hey if you shield a holy world so literally no one can touch it... is the FE pleased by this?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
When I go to design a new fleet, I hit the "new fleet" button in the manager, and then set its home base before I queue up the first ship. So in theory the new fleet should have its home base at Pepsi Station. But when I hit the reinforce button, the home base gets automatically reassigned to Coke Station in orbit around my homeworld.

Is there a way to make the fleet manager stop doing this? It's kind of annoying to have to set the home base twice for no good reason.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Each system (and possibly planet?) you have claimed but do not occupy in a war counts for -100 war score. Once you finish taking the last of his systems the score will change.

Edit: Gonna try grabbing the last planets before I say this for sure, but it seems like something isn't working.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
If you hover the cursor over the peace button (to the far left) it will tell you exactly what is contributing to that score. The other buttons will do this, too, but Surrender and Status Quo won't help you much if you're trying to vassalize someone or do anything other than take their land.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
The tooltip or whatever for wars against purifier/swarm/deathbot types needs to be a bit clearer that you take everything you conquer even if you white peace out (and it says no border changes).

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

DoubleNegative posted:

When I go to design a new fleet, I hit the "new fleet" button in the manager, and then set its home base before I queue up the first ship. So in theory the new fleet should have its home base at Pepsi Station. But when I hit the reinforce button, the home base gets automatically reassigned to Coke Station in orbit around my homeworld.

Is there a way to make the fleet manager stop doing this? It's kind of annoying to have to set the home base twice for no good reason.
I can't explain why it how it does this, but to avoid it I build a Corvette at the station I want the fleet to be built at, which causes it to generate a fleet in the fleet builder which I then add the rest of my fleet to and click build reinforce.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
In an unrelated note I decided to use my recently freed up Ascension slot to finally try out building a colossus, since Circle of Life is now gone. My first neighbours were a somewhat distant Fanatical Purifier race of crab things I have wanted to deal with for a long time but didn't want their freak space crab race polluting my empire - even as slaves - so I tried out the Neutron Sweep on them since I did want their planets.

I don't think we're going to be friends...

Ever.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

If you hover the cursor over the peace button (to the far left) it will tell you exactly what is contributing to that score. The other buttons will do this, too, but Surrender and Status Quo won't help you much if you're trying to vassalize someone or do anything other than take their land.

Yeah, so after I took their last planet the last -250 or something disappeared, which makes sense but it seemed weird at the time. Like, with two unoccupied planets and no unoccupied systems (other than the two with the unoccupied planets, those were only partially occupied I guess) I still had -350 vassal acceptance. It all worked out, but that number seemed really large until it all instantly evaporated.

By the way, now I'm facing -50 'at war' opinion maluses from both of the vassals I took through conquest. They've both accepted surrender and as far as I can tell no one is at war with anyone. Is there something I'm still supposed to do to clear that up?

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.
I'm going to have so much fun with this :>
My writer finished the last events I wanted, this should be right up her alley too.

(obviously not done). I want tons more options and back and forth dialogue. Depending on your ethics could be friendly, or hostile.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Psychotic Weasel posted:

In an unrelated note I decided to use my recently freed up Ascension slot to finally try out building a colossus, since Circle of Life is now gone. My first neighbours were a somewhat distant Fanatical Purifier race of crab things I have wanted to deal with for a long time but didn't want their freak space crab race polluting my empire - even as slaves - so I tried out the Neutron Sweep on them since I did want their planets.

I don't think we're going to be friends...

Ever.

I swept a pair of planets on a race, and it turns out not only do they not like it, everyone else is kinda upset about it too. I mean, is that really all that worse then my current system of bombing the planet for a long time, invading it and then forcing everyone off.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Help me, goons.

Libluini posted:

To be fair, I had already stopped playing assimilators as soon as someone in this thread posted a link to a mod allowing peaceful coexistence with organics. No pampering, no borgification, just the ability to take in some random aliens without displacing, killing or otherwise harming them. Just what I wanted.

This really strange decision that assimilators suddenly aren't allowed to have machine worlds just confirms that standard machine empires are the best empires (with 1-2 mods to neutralize the bad parts)

I've reimplemented the Machines Coexist mod to fix some bugs it has (genetic tech never dropping, missing rights/policies, biological pops are always enslaved at game start).

It's all working perfectly (as best I can tell), but I have one major problem:
What can I call this civic? The mod above calls it "AI Integration" which is kinda lame, but my working name ("Machine Caretaker") is also boring as gently caress. What can I call this civic?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

GotLag posted:

Help me, goons.

I've reimplemented the Machines Coexist mod to fix some bugs it has (genetic tech never dropping, missing rights/policies, biological pops are always enslaved at game start).

What can I call this civic? The mod above calls it "AI Integration" which is kinda lame, but my working name ("Machine Caretaker") is also boring as gently caress. What can I call this civic?

since it's specifically a civic that gives you an organic species on your homeworld, maybe Creator Coexistence?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
That's a thought.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

CitizenKain posted:

I swept a pair of planets on a race, and it turns out not only do they not like it, everyone else is kinda upset about it too. I mean, is that really all that worse then my current system of bombing the planet for a long time, invading it and then forcing everyone off.

It's kinda like firebombing vs. the A-bomb.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Seams posted:

The tooltip or whatever for wars against purifier/swarm/deathbot types needs to be a bit clearer that you take everything you conquer even if you white peace out (and it says no border changes).

It seems clear enough, there are no border changes from the situation as it stands when you make the peace, that's the hangup here. It's a status quo peace, not returning to ante belum.

Plus can't you mouse over the option for the tooltip and see which systems exactly will change hands when the peace is made?

AtomikKrab posted:

Planet Crack a Holy World.

Hey if you shield a holy world so literally no one can touch it... is the FE pleased by this?

I would, but the only FE are some observers, the rest got pushed out at gen cause I maxed the number of normal AI. Doh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

GotLag posted:

Help me, goons.

TAKING ERRR JERRRBS