Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

d0grent posted:

file>collect all and save

I hate myself. But I like you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Guys I got the Push2 and it is everything you said it would be and more. The only issue I’m having is that this is my first time using touch-sensitive pads with velocity control and my rhythm leaves a bit to be desired haha. I have been finger drumming on Launchpad S buttons for two years so it is quite a change.

Edit: I am noticing something strange when I have my Push turned on with my AT-LP120 also turned on, running ableton. With a track on the record input, I am hearing a slight click that keeps repeating about every second that almost sounded like I was getting interference. I tried turning off different devices and found that the Push was causing the noise. Any idea what this is and how to get rid of it without turning off one or the other? I am running my LP120 into a Phono Preamp and then into my Scarlett 18i8.

MrSargent fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Mar 18, 2018

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Welp this is my third post in a row but so be it.

I am having an issue with one of my tracks that is getting close to completion. It has a lot of individual audio/midi tracks and a good amount of processing, but I have frozen pretty much everything that I can to reduce the CPU load. The issue is that when I press Play (or hit spacebar), there is a noticeable delay between the tracking bar and the actual music coming out. In other words, I hit Play, the tracking bar starts moving for maybe a second or two, and then I hear audio. It sounds like it should, but delayed by a second or two compared to the tracking bar.

I noticed that the delay or latency is particularly bad now when trying to record. There is at least a couple seconds of delay between the vocalist and the audio coming out of Ableton. I was just recording other vocals for this track last week and had zero latency issues. I also opened another track and verified that it does not have the same issue. Any ideas what is going on with this one?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Any chance the wrong drivers are selected? With a smaller arrangement you may not notice this but when you have a bunch of poo poo running you would get this kind of behavior.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Oldstench posted:

Any chance the wrong drivers are selected? With a smaller arrangement you may not notice this but when you have a bunch of poo poo running you would get this kind of behavior.

That was one of the things I checked first. Its correctly using ASIO and Focusrite USB 2.0 device. I am going to try to bounce the track to stems and work in a new project. I think that will at least give me something I can use to record the rest of the vocal tracks, and for editing, I can work with the delay.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Sounds like you have a lot of plug-ins that are introducing significant latency into the project. This is something I experience with processor heavy vsts like any izotope ozone stuff or other mastering plug-ins.

Always bounce a .wav and open a new project for recording vocals, no need to risk getting a sloppy performance due to latency.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Is there an easy way in Ableton to jam on a loop like you would in Simpler's slice mode but have it continue looping the entire sample from where you last triggered it? Basically I want something like the Simpler Slicer set to "thru" mode, but I want it to loop instead of stopping at the end.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

skull mask mcgee posted:

Is there an easy way in Ableton to jam on a loop like you would in Simpler's slice mode but have it continue looping the entire sample from where you last triggered it? Basically I want something like the Simpler Slicer set to "thru" mode, but I want it to loop instead of stopping at the end.

I'm not 100% sure what you want to do, but one way you could accomplish this would be to slice the sample as you desire, copy it multiple times down a column in session view, set the start and end points to each slice so each clip plays the next slice, then add follow actions to go down the list with a final follow action to loop back to the top at the bottom of the list. Then, whatever slice you trigger would start and it would keep playing the loop using the follow actions.

I hope that made sense.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

skull mask mcgee posted:

Do you want to just jam, or record your jam? If it’s just jam, throw the loop into an audio track in session mode and just set Abletons looper on for that piece of time.

I thought you could enable looping on the audio/midi clip itself, but I’ll have to look when I get home.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Oldstench posted:

I'm not 100% sure what you want to do, but one way you could accomplish this would be to slice the sample as you desire, copy it multiple times down a column in session view, set the start and end points to each slice so each clip plays the next slice, then add follow actions to go down the list with a final follow action to loop back to the top at the bottom of the list. Then, whatever slice you trigger would start and it would keep playing the loop using the follow actions.

I hope that made sense.

That makes sense. I was hoping for something a little less involved, but I guess it's not so bad.

If this helps you understand: DJ software like Serato and Traktor let you set cue points in a track. If you have an active loop that contains cue points, pressing a cue point would jump the playhead to that point. So some DJs might loop a drum break and have some cues set up so they can riff on the drums a bit.

I've got a bunch of records with open drum breaks I've been sampling and thought there would be an intuitive way to do this, but I guess I must be the weird one :shrug:

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

skull mask mcgee posted:

That makes sense. I was hoping for something a little less involved, but I guess it's not so bad.

If this helps you understand: DJ software like Serato and Traktor let you set cue points in a track. If you have an active loop that contains cue points, pressing a cue point would jump the playhead to that point. So some DJs might loop a drum break and have some cues set up so they can riff on the drums a bit.

I've got a bunch of records with open drum breaks I've been sampling and thought there would be an intuitive way to do this, but I guess I must be the weird one :shrug:

Nah that doesn’t sound crazy at all, just a different way of using Ableton than I typically use. This has to be possible in Ableton because so many people use it live, I’ll try to play around a bit tonight but may not get a chance.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

MrSargent posted:

Nah that doesn’t sound crazy at all, just a different way of using Ableton than I typically use. This has to be possible in Ableton because so many people use it live, I’ll try to play around a bit tonight but may not get a chance.

Thanks! I'm not in much of a hurry, it's just a difficult issue to google.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

skull mask mcgee posted:

Thanks! I'm not in much of a hurry, it's just a difficult issue to google.

Ok here's how I did it. You need to be in session view for this, check the image below. Create a Session Clip like the one labelled "DrumRack1" below. Add your MIDI or Audio Clip, double click on the clip, and on the bottom bar under the Notes tab, you will see an option you can enable called "Loop". Now when you activate that session clip, it will loop that clip. Once you enable the Loop button, you can adjust the loop length using the colored bar on the wav/midi note on the clip. Let me know if you have any questions.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

I got addictive drums and 3 kits for $75, given the fact that it supports my e-drums out of the box with a couple of clicks it's a very good deal for me, offer ends today: https://www.xlnaudio.com/addictivedrums

You can also route stuff through separate tracks for sidechaining or individual effects (although you can't do this for individual cymbals)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DcCvQtlZMY

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

MrSargent posted:

Ok here's how I did it. You need to be in session view for this, check the image below. Create a Session Clip like the one labelled "DrumRack1" below. Add your MIDI or Audio Clip, double click on the clip, and on the bottom bar under the Notes tab, you will see an option you can enable called "Loop". Now when you activate that session clip, it will loop that clip. Once you enable the Loop button, you can adjust the loop length using the colored bar on the wav/midi note on the clip. Let me know if you have any questions.

Hey thanks! Looks like if I duplicate the clip and set different start points I can do more or less what I was aiming for without too much extra effort.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

skull mask mcgee posted:

Hey thanks! Looks like if I duplicate the clip and set different start points I can do more or less what I was aiming for without too much extra effort.

Glad that worked for you!

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Proper noob Live 10 question here.

I'm trying to follow this: https://sonicstate.com/news/2013/11/18/blog-drum-slicing-and-layering-in-ableton-live/

I've run into trouble almost immediately. I dropped a click in an audio track, looped it, set warp to re-pitch and it's looping fine. Then the article tells you to right click and 'consolidate' the clip like it says to. If I right click on the click in the pane at the bottom of the screen there's no consolidate option. If I do it on the clip in the session view there's no consolidate option. There's a consolidate option in the Edit menu, but it remains greyed out whatever I do.

The help text for consolidate says that it 'replaces the clip in the arrangment view selection with one new clip per track'.

That doesn't really sound like what the tutorial wants me to do. Am I being an idiot or it it just really out of date?

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!
You need to be in Arrangement View for consolidate to work (IIRC).

Copy the clip to the Arrangement view (or you can just drag it to the Session/Arrangement button top right-ish and drop it in), then keep goin'.

bit silly that consolidate doesnt work in session mode but thats live for ya

colonp fucked around with this message at 09:09 on May 26, 2018

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more
ableton10 on mac question:

in ableton 9, i used to be able to hold the command key while using the mouse to twist knobs slower / change values with finer precision, and this seems to no longer be the case in 10. is there a new button for this function or am i just boned?

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

For Windows it changed to shift for 10, try that.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more
will do, thanks

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
In case you're not also reading the synth thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3SIS_NGsOU

Looks like Sadowick is on the mend, and Ableton are good people

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
I enjoyed his tutorials and his music, such a solid guy, hope he gets better.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I usually like to jam and make ideas in Session view, then port it all over to the arrangement view once the initial ideas/sections are worked out. However, when I copy a scene from session view to arrangement view, I only get one loop of each clip. Consequently, I have to go through each track and extend the clip to the desired length, which can be cumbersome.

For example, if I copy Scene 1 with a 4-bar drum loop and a 1-bar bass loop over to arrangement, the result is a 4-bar arrangement where the 1-bar bass loop plays once before disappearing. This problem compounds if I try to copy two scenes at once, since the bass loop for Scene 2 will start playing after the bass loop from Scene 1 is finished.

What I'd prefer to happen instead is that, when Scene 1 is copied to arrangement view, that 1-bar bass loop repeats 4 times to match up with the 4-bar drum clip. Then all clips from Scene 2 would begin after Scene 1. Is this just not possible or am I missing a hotkey/setting somewhere? The default behaviour seems odd and counterproductive to me.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Why not just jam in the arrangement view with the loop bar? That way when you record, everything will already be the right length and in the right spot.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
You mean record a playthrough of myself switching between the scenes as the desired points? That's a fine enough solution, but it doesn't really save any time compared to manually copy-pasting each scene.

Modrasone
Jul 27, 2008

HE WANTS THIS AND SO SHOULD YOU!
Get a Launchpad mini. They're dirt cheap and perfect for doing what you want. I find that doing it in real time helps as well, sometimes I'll find a different combination of scenes that I wouldn't have thought of if I was just copy/pasting.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I have a Push and a APC40. It's not really the convenience of composing in session view- I already have that. It's just a peculiarity in my workflow in transitioning from session view to arrangement view, as I often prefer to do that part 'in box' rather than with controllers.

It's really not a huge deal- and it's probably better practice to record myself jamming out the session anyway. I've been doing a lot of minimal / deep techno production lately, and it will allow for much more organic manipulation of channel parameters.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
For the Push owners in the audience, have you folks experienced a glitch where the display/tactile controls 'stick' when switching between elements in a drum kit?

Like I'll sequence the kicks, and then press the snare pad to start sequencing it, but the display/knobs are the top are 'stuck' on the macros for the kick? if I switch away from the drum kit channel and then back to it, the display/macro control will correct itself and I can control the snare. As you can imagine though, this is really annoying.

I've had this glitch since at least the beta of Ableton 10.

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010
Is it possible to change the velocity of a note while the note is playing? I'm trying to make some strings sound better and would like to have notes playing like if a violinist starts playing a note with the bow softly but then starts to pull the bow more intensely. Preferably by using the aftertouch of the Push. Is that even possible? I can change volume and other parameters while the note is playing but it seems like the velocity you get when you start playing a note is the one you'll have until the note stops.

Claeaus fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Sep 23, 2018

Modrasone
Jul 27, 2008

HE WANTS THIS AND SO SHOULD YOU!
In the "Midi" tab on Sampler you could try linking Aftertouch to Volume?

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Claeaus posted:

Is it possible to change the velocity of a note while the note is playing? I'm trying to make some strings sound better and would like to have notes playing like if a violinist starts playing a note with the bow softly but then starts to pull the bow more intensely. Preferably by using the aftertouch of the Push. Is that even possible? I can change volume and other parameters while the note is playing but it seems like the velocity you get when you start playing a note is the one you'll have until the note stops.

No, it is not possible to change velocity after the MIDI note on message is sent, since velocity is part of the note on message itself. Aftertouch or other CC messages are how you modify a sound after the note on message. Depending on the synth you might be able to fire additional note on messages for the same key and encode different velocity values, but unless you can keep the synth engine from re-triggering the note you’re just going to get a mess of new notes for each.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

your best bet would be to duplicate the strings track and set the velocity higher on the copy, and then bind a fader to gradually fade between the soft and loud tracks.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

I was wondering if anyone had any insight as to whether Ableton will soon support VST3? I did some digging and found a generic statement from the company saying that they can't share specific plans until they have software available to avoid over/under promising. I know VST2 is still very common but I feel like there are some flagship plugins like Autotune that are VST3 only (unless you get the light version).

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
Is it possible to route Ableton channels out individually to an external mixer? Eg: bass drum track to channel one; snare to channel two, etc.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

Is it possible to route Ableton channels out individually to an external mixer? Eg: bass drum track to channel one; snare to channel two, etc.

Yes. You can route individual channels to specific outputs on your interface as long as they are set up as active outputs in your preferences.

This should help: https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/routing-and-i-o/

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

Oldstench posted:

Yes. You can route individual channels to specific outputs on your interface as long as they are set up as active outputs in your preferences.

This should help: https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/routing-and-i-o/

Thanks, my problem was that I didn't realize that interfaces had multiple line outs now.

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah
Any rumours on sales happening soon? I seem to recall them doing a sale around the holidays last year, unless I'm mixing it up with one of the million other things that had a sale. I need to upgrade to 10 so I can actually use the Live integration in the SLMK3 :p

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Sexy Randal posted:

Any rumours on sales happening soon? I seem to recall them doing a sale around the holidays last year, unless I'm mixing it up with one of the million other things that had a sale. I need to upgrade to 10 so I can actually use the Live integration in the SLMK3 :p

Someone on reddit said Ableton support responded to them saying that there isn't going to be a holiday sale this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Selling my pristine, barely used Push 2 w/ Decksaver. Details here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3877236

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Dec 17, 2018