Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

There’s a missing thread icon in the Bitcoin, Forex, and Candles forum. Post is Ask/Tell about Sales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

pokeyman posted:

[One pixel showing for a little too long during sliding pane animation]
This is when you e.g. tap a forum in the list and we push the list of threads on to the screen?

I saw it going from bookmarked threads to posts in thread. But I haven't seen it come up in a while.

svenkatesh
Sep 5, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Are there any known issues that would cause a crash on iPhone SE still on iOS 10.x?

I wasn't doing anything funky (not quoting, not posting, not commenting at all), I was just browsing and the app crashed. Happened twice to me before I gave up.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Is anyone else getting weird grey patches over the screen? I either get a grey patch where the keyboard should be when I switch apps, or more rarely a full grey screen when I quote someone, don't post and move to the next page. Both need a force quit to fix.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Hoping to +1 two items on the fixlog:

- Buy/sell/trade tags in SA-Mart being re-added (it's really hard to browse without it)

- Graying out thread titles for closed threads

Thank you!

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

on an iPhone 7 latest OS if you go to somebody's in thread post history, go to the page wheel and hit "last post" it just takes you to their last post in the thread instead of last post of just their posts

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

When browsing on iPad with a keyboard I hit the space bar to jump down the thread a bit. Quite often this stops working - it can be if I look at an image full screen, or click a link then return.

I've noticed that I can (sort of inconsistently) get the space bar working again by pressing various buttons in the thread (thread settings, share button, (...) button. If I mash these buttons on and off enough eventually the keyboard has an effect again.

It feels similar to if a window on a desktop loses focus or something. Would be great if this didn't happen but realise it's a bit of an edge case.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I sometimes hold the iPhone X in two fingers, middle finger up top and thumb at the bottom. Frequently, my finger strays from the notch over to the right, onto the right "cat ear" corner. The top edge of that, when tapped, still scroll the page up to the top. Is it allowed by Apple for you app to differentiate the X and have a different behavior? Aka only scroll to top of page when tapped at the line along the bottom of the notch?

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

e: nm

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

kimbo305 posted:

I sometimes hold the iPhone X in two fingers, middle finger up top and thumb at the bottom. Frequently, my finger strays from the notch over to the right, onto the right "cat ear" corner. The top edge of that, when tapped, still scroll the page up to the top. Is it allowed by Apple for you app to differentiate the X and have a different behavior? Aka only scroll to top of page when tapped at the line along the bottom of the notch?

God I hate the "scroll to top of page" behaviour; I gently caress that up regularly in lots of random apps.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

iajanus posted:

God I hate the "scroll to top of page" behaviour; I gently caress that up regularly in lots of random apps.

Yeah, me too. Tweetbot is a habitual offender for me.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

Steve jobs rolling in his grave over here

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
Scroll to top is the best

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Copying emotes from special keyboard on click does not seem to work on my Ecks.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

bronin posted:

Scroll to top is the best

It certainly is, when i actually intend to use it...

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Personally I think think every app should do what Tweetbot does: make it so tapping again returns you back to your previous position.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Diabolik900 posted:

Personally I think think every app should do what Tweetbot does: make it so tapping again returns you back to your previous position.

Oh my loving GOD.

Thank you so much for pointing this out. I've accidentally scrolled to the top of a 200 post timeline for the final time.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Scroll to the top owns and missing it is the thing that always annoys me when I try Android

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Casual Encountess posted:

on an iPhone 7 latest OS if you go to somebody's in thread post history, go to the page wheel and hit "last post" it just takes you to their last post in the thread instead of last post of just their posts

Seconding this as a issue; 7+, One OS update out of date.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
Request: make images in the lepers colon work

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Crime on a Dime posted:

:allears:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Seems like they work for me but maybe I'm in the wrong forum

(from this thread)

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Feature request: add an additional confirmation before removing bookmarks with the swipe action. Maybe it’s just me but I often swipe accidentally then get paranoid that I’ve pressed delete on a thread I’ll never remember I wanted to follow.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I long-pressed an image, that was originally in [timg] tags, to view it. From that screen, I then shared it, where I selected "copy" - assuming that it'd put the image link into the clipboard. That didn't seem to happen, though admittedly this is my first iOS device ever so I may have hosed up something else along the way.

I get it now. That "Copy" action will copy the image data itself, not the URL. There's a separate "Copy URL" action that should suit your needs. (It has no icon, but it should still work.)

Stare-Out posted:

I've been having problems with the thread list, particularly when scrolling to a next "page". Once I get to the end of the list, Awful loads for a moment, flashes black and throws the threads onto the screen but in a weird order or more often than not, doesn't update the list and throws me back up to the top of the list. Why not have the thread list work like pages in a thread do where the cutoff is clearer and easier to navigate?

I suspect what's going on here, or at least part of the problem, is threads moving between pages (because new posts). I don't have a great answer for this, but it's worth pondering on it until we come up with something.

It is kinda funny that the posts screen, where an "infinite scroll" would work ok because posts don't change their sort position within a thread, keeps the pagination clear.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Would it be possible to add a feature to (locally) block mods from showing up in the app? The website won’t let me do that.

As in, add a mod to your ignore list? It's technically possible but I prefer to follow the website's lead on things like this. I won't implement it myself and I wouldn't accept a code contribution that implemented it.

kimbo305 posted:

I saw it going from bookmarked threads to posts in thread. But I haven't seen it come up in a while.

Ah ok, I think I know what you mean. Will add it to the list!

svenkatesh posted:

Are there any known issues that would cause a crash on iPhone SE still on iOS 10.x?

I wasn't doing anything funky (not quoting, not posting, not commenting at all), I was just browsing and the app crashed. Happened twice to me before I gave up.

I've got a few crashes logged that match that description and could plausibly line up with what you're seeing. No obvious cause jumps out at me though, so I can't recommend any particular workarounds, other than the usual vague "try uninstalling and reinstalling the app". Nothing in the crash logs I can see lend any support to it being fixed by reinstalling though. Sorry.

Coq au Nandos posted:

Is anyone else getting weird grey patches over the screen? I either get a grey patch where the keyboard should be when I switch apps, or more rarely a full grey screen when I quote someone, don't post and move to the next page. Both need a force quit to fix.

All over the screen just while you're reading a thread? Or is it in other parts of Awful too?

IllegallySober posted:

Hoping to +1 two items on the fixlog:

- Buy/sell/trade tags in SA-Mart being re-added (it's really hard to browse without it)

- Graying out thread titles for closed threads

Thank you!

Gonna take a swing this weekend. Thanks for the patience and gentle prodding.

Casual Encountess posted:

Welp. I'll add it to the list, thanks!

spanky the dolphin posted:

When browsing on iPad with a keyboard I hit the space bar to jump down the thread a bit. Quite often this stops working - it can be if I look at an image full screen, or click a link then return.

I've noticed that I can (sort of inconsistently) get the space bar working again by pressing various buttons in the thread (thread settings, share button, (...) button. If I mash these buttons on and off enough eventually the keyboard has an effect again.

It feels similar to if a window on a desktop loses focus or something. Would be great if this didn't happen but realise it's a bit of an edge case.

This one sounds like fun! Thanks, I'll add it to the list.

kimbo305 posted:

Not sure about that kind of differentiation but I'm interested in looking at either a "tap again to jump back down to where you were" or a setting to turn it off entirely (if it's that bad; if it's sometimes useful sometimes an accident then a setting probably won't help much).

Crime on a Dime posted:

I'll +1 that, oldie but a goodie right there.

Pissflaps posted:

Feature request: add an additional confirmation before removing bookmarks with the swipe action. Maybe it’s just me but I often swipe accidentally then get paranoid that I’ve pressed delete on a thread I’ll never remember I wanted to follow.

Shake to undo!

…is a basically undiscoverable feature that can be turned off so I can't rely on it working.

You're saying you swipe to bring up the Delete button, then tap Delete, then have regrets? Because there were a few months there where you could delete bookmarks with just a swipe, and that was bad and gross but fixed a couple versions ago.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

pokeyman posted:

I get it now. That "Copy" action will copy the image data itself, not the URL. There's a separate "Copy URL" action that should suit your needs. (It has no icon, but it should still work.)

That's when I press share and then slide to the right, I see it now. I swear to god that before that I saw some other menu which would have like 3 bars with one button in each and one of them would be just copy and no copy url or anything, but I'm not sure how to replicate that.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

pokeyman posted:

All over the screen just while you're reading a thread? Or is it in other parts of Awful too?

It's just in thread view.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
Thanks devs for implementing past requests from me such as displaying the flags in fyad etc. Would it be possible to add a way to select pages of a sub forum, the way you can with pages of a thread? also are the archives available through the app?

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

Is there something wrong with the App? I was met with the Login Page (No, I didn't delete and reupload the App) and couldn't log in when i put my username and password (I even tried sending a "Forgotten Password" request and entered that, but still, nothing.

IOS
Iphone 7

EDIT: Welp, either I’m a dumbass, or you guys fixed it (if it was me, the I accidentally had typed a capital when there shouldn’t be one :downs:)

The man called M fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Mar 26, 2018

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
Apologies if this had been asked before, but I was just handed an old ipad2 which I intend to use mostly as e-reader and light browsing platform. It was given to me running on ios9, which made it laggy as hell and nearly unusable, so I decided to jailbreak it and downgrade it back to ios6 which mostly solved the problem - it reacts fast and snappy now.

When installing the awful app from the store, it told me that the newest version is ios9 only but I could install an older compatible one, which I did. It installed just fine, but for some reason won't let me log in. I double checked the login data a bunch of times and same result - login error. Anyone got any idea of what's going on? Is the app so old that it's broken?

Vvv Thanks!

Freezer fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Mar 26, 2018

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Freezer posted:

Apologies if this had been asked before, but I was just handed an old ipad2 which I intend to use mostly as e-reader and light browsing platform. It was given to me running on ios9, which made it laggy as hell and nearly unusable, so I decided to jailbreak it and downgrade it back to ios6 which mostly solved the problem - it reacts fast and snappy now.

When installing the awful app from the store, it told me that the newest version is ios9 only but I could install an older compatible one, which I did. It installed just fine, but for some reason won't let me log in. I double checked the login data a bunch of times and same result - login error. Anyone got any idea of what's going on? Is the app so old that it's broken?

The forums started requiring HTTPS for logging in at some point in the last couple years, long after the app dropped iOS 6 compatibility, so basically that version of the app won't work with the current forums.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Buy/sell/trade tags work again! Thank you, you're the best! :hfive:

Edit: And closed thread titles are grayed out again too! Even better!

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
Is there a way to hide the Stupid Newbie avatar but not turn off avatars as a whole?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Magnus Praeda posted:

Is there a way to hide the Stupid Newbie avatar but not turn off avatars as a whole?

No.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Magnus Praeda posted:

Buy all the newbies avatars.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Install some sort of intrusive adblocker, or connect to a network which will filter that image's URL for you.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
please add airplay support so i can cast the forums to my television or computer

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Mad Wack posted:

please add airplay support so i can cast the forums to my television or computer

What would it do differently than mirroring your screen?

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Ok.

Nude posted:

Buy all the newbies avatars.

anthonypants posted:

Install some sort of intrusive adblocker, or connect to a network which will filter that image's URL for you.

No.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Since the last update I can no longer upload images at all and get the message "The operation could not be completed. Protocol error (code 100)". I'm on the latest iOS on an iPhone 8+. Is this a known problem or is it the forums going through something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Since the last update I can no longer upload images at all and get the message "The operation could not be completed. Protocol error (code 100)". I'm on the latest iOS on an iPhone 8+. Is this a known problem or is it the forums going through something?

I’ve had the issue along with a few others. It should work if you upload directly to imgur, might have to do with HEIF and their api