Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.
I figured out the crash! It's when I send multiple requests to quote someone on spotty WiFi. What I do (and this only applies to when it is slow) is a hit quote multiple times (pretty quickly). And it will consistently crash.

Now that I know the case though it's not a big deal for me.
https://i.imgur.com/oajBx67.mp4

Nude fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Feb 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
So here's a thing I just found out: Mobile youtube links in the format
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVEkftO2J1s&t=306s

will properly retain the time when youtube inevitably kicks you to the mobile site, but
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVEkftO2J1s#t=306s

which works on desktop, doesn't work for mobile. The only reason I found this out is because the former worked for the first time ever from the awful app and I was all like :aaaaa: because literally every youtube link I've seen on SA is in the latter format. I know it's extremely bespoke, but I doubt youtube would ever fix it-- is there any way to either "Set the awful in-app browser to request the desktop site" or, barring that, "fix youtube timestamps" as a toggle?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I don't have a lot of data to prove this, but I suspect Awful is incorrectly rounding down instead of up when assigning rating graphics to threads that are exactly on the threshold. (Eg it will give 4 to a thread on 4.5, or 3 on 3.5, etc etc.)

Seekhay
Sep 11, 2001

College Slice
I’ve been running into an annoying issue lately, where pages won’t partially render properly. Like this:

Sometimes it’s only a single post that’s half blank and others are fine, other times it’s several.

If I force close the client, it goes away for a little while, but returns a few hours later. It doesn’t seem to matter what forum/thread I view either.

Currently running 11.2.6 on and 8+.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
It's done that for a good while

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
E never mind it fixed itself

Gunshow Poophole fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Mar 4, 2018

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Looks like I dropped a release on y'all then avoided this thread for the entirety of February! I'm a shoo-in for Maintainer of the Year.

kimbo305 posted:

Has anyone noticed that when a pane slides in from the right, the animation is such that it can pause on the last pixel momentarily? Like you can see a line of whatever is being covered over for a noticeably long time on the left edge?

iPhone X, latest version.

This is when you e.g. tap a forum in the list and we push the list of threads on to the screen?

Boris Galerkin posted:

So there's been some discussion in the iPhone thread about uploading pictures to Imgur through the app. I think it's an understood thing that trying to do so fails about 99% of the time, most people seem to think for API rate limit reasons, but I swear to god that there is a way to upload pictures to Imgur with 100% success rate in my experience.

This way fails most of the time:
  • Tap empty text field
  • Tap [img]
  • Tap From Library
  • Choose picture

I have never seen this method fail:
  • Copy picture you want to upload (as in tap on the image, or share button, and hit copy)
  • Tap empty text field
  • Tap [img]
  • Tap Paste

I tried looking into the code to see where these events were called/handled but I don't know enough about iOS programming to know what the hell I'm looking for. I grepped for 'imgur' but don't really know enough Swift to understand what I was looking at. I just want to know if these two methods are actually calling different methods or using different inputs somehow, or if I am just super lucky.

This is a handy writeup, thanks! There are a few items of fuckery going on around image uploads, I need to dive into that someday.

Keith Atherton posted:

After long pressing an image to see it full size I find myself constantly accidentally dismissing the image when zoomed in and "scrolling" around the image

I'm not even sure what the dismiss gesture is that triggers that but I always scroll too far in one direction or another and then I'm back in the thread. It would be cool to have it be more obvious what's going on or simply just make it "tap image to bring up the "Done" button to close"

It is definitely not great. For reference the dismiss gesture is meant to be a swipe down. But it triggers when zoomed in, which is not great, and it's probably too quick to trigger in general. I will add it to the list.

carry on then posted:

Also, can we do something about :

Swift code:
override var refreshControl: UIRefreshControl? {
        // These were here to help migrate away from UIRefreshControl. Might as well leave them in to make sure we don't accidentally try something.
        get { fatalError("use pullToRefreshView") }
        set { fatalError("use pullToRefreshView") }
    }
It breaks capturing the UI hierarchy.

We sure can!

IllegallySober posted:

With the most recently-released version, it appears that thread titles in the bookmarks list being grayed out if the thread is closed is not working.

Any chance of that returning?

Yep, that's unintentional. I basically redid thread lists and messed up one or two things.

Stare-Out posted:

Bookmarks flash white in dark mode when you open them, is this an intended thing? Nothing against it, just checking that it's working as it should be.

Unintentional. It's kinda annoying, but juuuust barely not annoying enough for me to fix it right this second. I'll put it on the list.

carry on then posted:

My guess is it's an overeager gesture recognizer that sees any pan down as the downward swipe that means close the view. We can probably adjust that to be more discriminating, or at least only work when the image is zoomed out.

My vote it to scrap our custom image viewer thinger altogether and find some library that does that bit better than we ever will.

Shnakepup posted:

Two things: first, I’m trying to figure out if there’s a way to fix embedded tweets not showing correctly. Second...i think in the course of trying to do this, I found a bug? I dunno.

Awesome writeup, thanks! I can maybe solve some of the mystery on the first thing, and the second thing is definitely a bug.

It seems like if there's a tweet anywhere on the page that fails to load (sometimes means it was deleted, other times something just seems to Go Wrong) then all the subsequent tweets on that page (or maybe all the tweets before and after? not sure) will also fail to load.

Navigating back/forward to reload the page does reload the page, loading immediately from cache then re-fetching the page (in case any posts were edited or new posts appeared). Because of how embedded tweets work, they'll reload even when we're loading the page from cache. However, because of the way they're breaking, it won't fix the problem you're seeing because the broken/deleted tweet is probably still broken/deleted.

Mandrel posted:

Does the emoji keyboard not work anymore with iPhone? Seems like I can’t get it to paste into the chat anymore

Should still work, though it's probably pretty fucky because I haven't shown it any love in years/several major iOS releases and custom keyboards are always fucky anyway. Did you turn on "Allow Full Access" in Settings > General > Keyboard > Keyboards > Smilie Keyboard?

Zero One posted:

Odd bug that just started. I'm running the most recent 11.3 public beta. The app doesn't seem to save the most recent view when the phone goes to sleep. I can be in one thread and if the phone sleeps and I wake it the app will show a thread from several minutes ago before refreshing to where I was after a few seconds.

This doesn't seem to happen if I exit the app to the home screen. Only sleep.

I wonder if Awful is crashing when the phone sleeps, breaking state preservation. Thanks for the heads up! Might not look into it until 11.3 ships for real, I've been burned before fixing beta bugs that didn't turn into gold master bugs.

mrfishstick posted:

Had this bug for at least a few releases so I thought I would toss in a report:

Embedded twitter links appear to only be loading every other page within a thread. Meaning, they will load fine one page and after advancing to the next page, the twitter links will not parse and instead just be generic url links to tweets but load just fine again after the page is changed.

I think this is the same issue mentioned above: there's a tweet on that page that's broken/deleted and it breaks all the tweets on that page.

kloa posted:

Just wanted to throw out an idea to make the Awful app even more betterer.

If I’m reading through a giant thread that’s somewhat old and difficult to find, it’d be nice if you could pin it similar to pinning sub forums. That way it stays above your regular list of bookmarks, but is easier to get back to.

Thanks for all the work on making this app cool and good :angel:

Good idea! I'll add it to the list. And thanks for the thanks.

Edward Mass posted:

I’m not allowed to use contractions in thread titles. Please help,

It's for the best.

Nah it's an Awful bug, I'll add it to the list!

IllegallySober posted:

The buy-sell-trade tags in SA-Mart no longer appear on the icons on the latest released version.

I was sure I checked that because I know I've screwed it up before. Welp.

smackfu posted:

My announcements are all confused. The goon meet one talks about the Olympics forum and vice versa.

Yeah. Announcements are fun. I think I can fix it but I'm not sure.

shortspecialbus posted:

Am I missing it or is there not an option to show previous posts by default? Every time I open one of my bookmarks I generally want to look at the last few posts to get my bearings. It's easy enough to bop the button every time but if I could set this as a default it would be great. I dug through and didn't see such an option, but I might have missed it.

98% of the time I'm on an android device (or normal browser) so it's possible there's some apple-ism here that I'm not aware of since I don't use this ipad all that often.

You are not missing it. I took it out ages ago and ever since people want it back, but I haven't put it back yet :/ it is on the list!

Love it!

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Also TBH I'd prefer no end of page scroll equals load next page behavior. I'm scrolling down to last post on not-current page and then poo poo I'm on the next page.

Fake edit: You own for doing this and thank you for doing so. I don't know poo poo about whatever language Apple has turned MAH BEAUTIFUL C into but I can help with random git bullshit etc.

If I'm hearing you right the issue is that the "pull for next page" triggers when you're just scrolling, and you'd be ok with the feature if it wasn't on such a hair trigger?

And thanks!

the littlest prince posted:

this one has been around a while so it's probably known but if you open a thread that's unread, finish reading it (say it's just a few posts) and then go back, it will jump like 80% of the way down the page. it's kind of annoying if I don't want to read that thread any more because I'll have to go track it down to mark it as unread.

anyway thanks for your time spent doing the good work.

When you say "go back" here, do you mean go back into the thread you just finished reading? And it jumps 80% of the way down instead of jumping 100% of the way down?

Grassy Knowles posted:

I thought it might be useful for you; the issue where posts don't appear properly after using the app for a while until you force quit has changed in the newest beta--now the images for post actions are also only partially loading, where they used to load regardless of the incomplete posts.

Just gets better and better!

Nude posted:

I figured out the crash! It's when I send multiple requests to quote someone on spotty WiFi. What I do (and this only applies to when it is slow) is a hit quote multiple times (pretty quickly). And it will consistently crash.

Now that I know the case though it's not a big deal for me.
https://i.imgur.com/oajBx67.mp4

:toot: great catch! Fun fact: it was easy to find the original issue in the issue tracker because it's the only search result for "nude".

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

So here's a thing I just found out: Mobile youtube links in the format
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVEkftO2J1s&t=306s

will properly retain the time when youtube inevitably kicks you to the mobile site, but
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVEkftO2J1s#t=306s

which works on desktop, doesn't work for mobile. The only reason I found this out is because the former worked for the first time ever from the awful app and I was all like :aaaaa: because literally every youtube link I've seen on SA is in the latter format. I know it's extremely bespoke, but I doubt youtube would ever fix it-- is there any way to either "Set the awful in-app browser to request the desktop site" or, barring that, "fix youtube timestamps" as a toggle?

I had no idea. We can probably rewrite the links to use the former format.

Fedule posted:

I don't have a lot of data to prove this, but I suspect Awful is incorrectly rounding down instead of up when assigning rating graphics to threads that are exactly on the threshold. (Eg it will give 4 to a thread on 4.5, or 3 on 3.5, etc etc.)

If you spot this happening for a particular thread hit me up and I'll try to check it out. Awful currently rounds the usual way, where 4.5 -> 5, but there's lots of room for some fuckery up to that point.

Seekhay posted:

I’ve been running into an annoying issue lately, where pages won’t partially render properly. Like this:

Sometimes it’s only a single post that’s half blank and others are fine, other times it’s several.

If I force close the client, it goes away for a little while, but returns a few hours later. It doesn’t seem to matter what forum/thread I view either.

Currently running 11.2.6 on and 8+.

This is on the list™ and the only possible fix I can think of is kinda painful, basically involves redoing the posts view. Good news is that work has started (the announcements view is the prototype for the "new" posts view (the scare quotes are because it won't appear new at all but will hopefully fix issues like this one)). Bad news is I have no timeline.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

pokeyman posted:

When you say "go back" here, do you mean go back into the thread you just finished reading? And it jumps 80% of the way down instead of jumping 100% of the way down?

No, go back to the thread list for whatever subforum it's in. It doesn't jump all the way down for sure. I just tried it in a couple subforums and it only seems easy to replicate in sa-mart or coupons/deals.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

pokeyman posted:

quote:

Love it!

Realised I didn't mention it at the time - the :doggo: image above is a link to the folder containing the graphics for the app.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

enjoying the app, 2 Qs

are there plans to make emoji keyboard to work like discord suggestions? am i holding it wrong or sharing through copy an imgur timg doesn’t actually copy the direct image link?

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

About the scrolling and accidentally loading the next page thing, what the Android app does is allow you to set the percentage of the screen you need to scroll. I bumped it up a bit slightly from the default and no longer get accidental new pages in that one. The ios app seems to be around 10-15 percent maybe, or at least whatever it is for me is rather low so I accidentally go to the next page a lot. Maybe make that configurable perhaps?

(I'm not trying to just say to make the whole thing like the android app or say that one is better, BTW. Please don't take it that way.)

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

shortspecialbus posted:

About the scrolling and accidentally loading the next page thing, what the Android app does is allow you to set the percentage of the screen you need to scroll. I bumped it up a bit slightly from the default and no longer get accidental new pages in that one. The ios app seems to be around 10-15 percent maybe, or at least whatever it is for me is rather low so I accidentally go to the next page a lot. Maybe make that configurable perhaps?

This would be great.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I'm going to dissent and say that while it certainly needs to be adjusted, making it a user setting is a terrible way to "fix" the problem.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Something i’ve noticed is once a thread is stickied it seems to stay inside the sticky thread rotation forever. For example, TFF has only two stickied threads. However on my app it has the chat thread, three previous stickied threads (nick foles > brady, the eagles won thread, and the XFL thread), then the rule thread. If any thread falls off page one it drops out of the sticky section, but any posts will put these threads right back up with the stickied threads even though they are no longer sticky.

I hope all of that makes sense. It’s been a long weekend.

Edit: here’s a screenshot.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Diabolik900 posted:

I'm going to dissent and say that while it certainly needs to be adjusted, making it a user setting is a terrible way to "fix" the problem.

I'm starting to wonder if it isn't device-specific. On my Plus it has plenty of room. Perhaps SEs are more sensitive?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

carry on then posted:

I'm starting to wonder if it isn't device-specific. On my Plus it has plenty of room. Perhaps SEs are more sensitive?

I trigger it on my plus fairly often as well

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I turned off scroll for new page because i hit that poo poo too often on my 6s+. I don’t miss the feature at all.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

My only iOS device is an ipad pro, the 9.7" one or whatever. I seem to accidentally go to a new page fairly often when scrolling down.

Diabolik900 posted:

Why on earth is user customization (hide it under an 'Advanced' thing if you want) a terrible idea? Not everyone has the same preferences.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

shortspecialbus posted:

My only iOS device is an ipad pro, the 9.7" one or whatever. I seem to accidentally go to a new page fairly often when scrolling down.

Why on earth is user customization (hide it under an 'Advanced' thing if you want) a terrible idea? Not everyone has the same preferences.

"Intelligent defaults over endless configuration" is a core tenant of Apple's design.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Eh, whatever then. I'm not going to get into a philosophical argument about it. It would be nice if it worked better. Would it help if I took a video of how it seems to work, if you don't have access to an ipad?

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

shortspecialbus posted:

(I'm not trying to just say to make the whole thing like the android app or say that one is better, BTW. Please don't take it that way.)

I added a settings toggle to shut off pull-to-next-page entirely if thats your jam

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Well, I like it, I just don't like it triggering with such a small pull is all. Or at least not when I start my scroll when I'm not at the bottom of the page - maybe have it not do the pull for next page if you weren't already at the bottom of the page when you do your scroll? That might solve the problem itself, if it would be feasible.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

shortspecialbus posted:

Eh, whatever then. I'm not going to get into a philosophical argument about it. It would be nice if it worked better. Would it help if I took a video of how it seems to work, if you don't have access to an ipad?

I agree that it's way too sensitive currently. I trigger it accidentally a lot myself. And I'm not philosophically opposed to ever adding settings, but you have to be careful because every new setting adds more complexity both for the users and the developers, and this specific issue can be solved without adding a setting by just playing with the sensitivity until it feels right. It would be different if there was a lot of disagreement about how sensitive it should be, but everyone pretty much seems to agree that the current version is too sensitive.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Diabolik900 posted:

I agree that it's way too sensitive currently. I trigger it accidentally a lot myself. And I'm not philosophically opposed to ever adding settings, but you have to be careful because every new setting adds more complexity both for the users and the developers, and this specific issue can be solved without adding a setting by just playing with the sensitivity until it feels right. It would be different if there was a lot of disagreement about how sensitive it should be, but everyone pretty much seems to agree that the current version is too sensitive.

I didn't notice the hyper-sensitivity as much until I switched to my X so I dunno if it's more sensitive depending on device, but anecdotally for me, that was the case.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

It’s pretty good for me. maybe if it was a user set it 5% higher. More interestingly, you go read a page with just 1 new post and 39 previous posts not showing, it’s almost impossible to pull up to the next page. You need to pull up by over half the screen length.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

carry on then posted:

"Intelligent defaults over endless configuration" is a core tenant of Apple's design.

Which works great when it's actually intelligent.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Coming up with a good default would be a combination of considering "where do users usally put text when they're reading a page" (when I'm reading I usually scroll to put what I'm reading near the center) and "giving the user enough time to react to hitting the end of the page to say 'oh poo poo it's the end' and either stop scrolling, or to scroll back down before lifting their finger up so that the page jump doesn't occur".

My spitball solution would involve leaving the 10-15% if the last post of the page is already fully visible (ie, the user already has hit the bottom of the page and actively wants to move to the next one) and increasing it to 30%+ if not (in the situation that they're just scrolling down the page and don't realize they're at the end of it already). Alternatively (or perhaps in addition) adding a visible "next page" prompt/icon that's always shown at the bottom of the last post on a page as a visual indication that continuing to scroll will trigger it, as opposed to only showing it in the small window of "you're scrolling past the last post but haven't hit the next page trigger yet"-- "End of Thread" already has this, so I kind of wonder what the frequency is of "accidentally jumping to the next page" vs. "unintentionally refreshing the thread on the last post" is...

I'm also in the "I hit it too many times and just turned the option off" camp.

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Mar 5, 2018

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

I normally read towards the top of a page. I think this would be different for everyone.

How about the last post has say, half a screen of blank space underneath it. Like a buffer that you need to scroll through before beginning the pull to next page trigger. I think that absence of text would be visible enough in the peripheral vision for the user to realise they've reached the end so they'd be more conscious of scrolling further. Like how it is when you open a previously read thread and there are only 1/2 posts left.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

iajanus posted:

Which works great when it's actually intelligent.

That is what we are working on, yes.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Every time I open the Awful App it crashes immediately. I believe this is since the latest iOS update. What should I do!?

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Just curious if it’s a known issue/anyone else having this issue of not being able to post images from my camera library

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Bob NewSCART posted:

Just curious if it’s a known issue/anyone else having this issue of not being able to post images from my camera library

Lol yes I haven't been able to do so for like a year now.

It generally will work if you go to the gallery and copy the image, then in the post bring up the menu and go to [img ]and then Paste

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

iajanus posted:

Lol yes I haven't been able to do so for like a year now.

It generally will work if you go to the gallery and copy the image, then in the post bring up the menu and go to [img ]and then Paste

Awesome, works for me. What app do goons like to use nowadays for image hosting anyway

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Bob NewSCART posted:

Awesome, works for me. What app do goons like to use nowadays for image hosting anyway

The imgur app itself is pretty painless. You can long press on the uploaded picture to copy the direct image link.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Get Workflow and set up a widget to upload your last photo to Imgur and copy the link and boom easy posting

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

the littlest prince posted:

No, go back to the thread list for whatever subforum it's in. It doesn't jump all the way down for sure. I just tried it in a couple subforums and it only seems easy to replicate in sa-mart or coupons/deals.

Got it! Thanks.

spanky the dolphin posted:

Realised I didn't mention it at the time - the :doggo: image above is a link to the folder containing the graphics for the app.

Didn't notice until I quoted your post, but yep it's in there.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

are there plans to make emoji keyboard to work like discord suggestions?

I am keeping track of suggestions for making the keyboard more usable. No plan for that specifically but I'll add it and take a look if/when I put some time into the keyboard.

quote:

am i holding it wrong or sharing through copy an imgur timg doesn’t actually copy the direct image link?

Not sure I understand.

shortspecialbus posted:

I'm confident we can make it work well on all devices without a user setting.

(Didn't take it that way at all! Appreciate you making it clear though, thanks.)

Mr. Nice! posted:

Something i’ve noticed is once a thread is stickied it seems to stay inside the sticky thread rotation forever. For example, TFF has only two stickied threads. However on my app it has the chat thread, three previous stickied threads (nick foles > brady, the eagles won thread, and the XFL thread), then the rule thread. If any thread falls off page one it drops out of the sticky section, but any posts will put these threads right back up with the stickied threads even though they are no longer sticky.

I hope all of that makes sense. It’s been a long weekend.

Edit: here’s a screenshot.

Makes sense. I remember looking into this awhile back but I don't remember what I learned. I'll +1 it on the list.

shortspecialbus posted:

User customization in general is great, but some things can feasibly Just Work and I believe this is one of those things.

shortspecialbus posted:

Well, I like it, I just don't like it triggering with such a small pull is all. Or at least not when I start my scroll when I'm not at the bottom of the page - maybe have it not do the pull for next page if you weren't already at the bottom of the page when you do your scroll? That might solve the problem itself, if it would be feasible.

I think this is exactly it. If you do a giant flick at the top of the page, there's a near-zero chance you wanted to jump to the next page. But if you're near the bottom of the page and you yank it up past the bottom, odds go up considerably.

Billzasilver posted:

It’s pretty good for me. maybe if it was a user set it 5% higher. More interestingly, you go read a page with just 1 new post and 39 previous posts not showing, it’s almost impossible to pull up to the next page. You need to pull up by over half the screen length.

This kind of inconsistency is another problem. If you always have to pull the same distance, it's possible over time to learn to subconsciously pull the right distance for what you're trying to do. When it's inconsistent, it feels like it never works.

RCarr posted:

Every time I open the Awful App it crashes immediately. I believe this is since the latest iOS update. What should I do!?

The long term answer is wait for me to fix the problem. In the short term, it's possible that deleting and reinstalling the app might fix it for now. (Sorry, I know that's annoying and not a real answer.)

Bob NewSCART posted:

Yeah :(

Endless Mike posted:

Get Workflow and set up a widget to upload your last photo to Imgur and copy the link and boom easy posting

I am so tempted to make this the official solution and rip out image uploading entirely.

Not saying I'm gonna but so tempting.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

pokeyman posted:

Not sure I understand.
I long-pressed an image, that was originally in [timg] tags, to view it. From that screen, I then shared it, where I selected "copy" - assuming that it'd put the image link into the clipboard. That didn't seem to happen, though admittedly this is my first iOS device ever so I may have hosed up something else along the way.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I've been having problems with the thread list, particularly when scrolling to a next "page". Once I get to the end of the list, Awful loads for a moment, flashes black and throws the threads onto the screen but in a weird order or more often than not, doesn't update the list and throws me back up to the top of the list. Why not have the thread list work like pages in a thread do where the cutoff is clearer and easier to navigate?

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

pokeyman posted:

I am so tempted to make this the official solution and rip out image uploading entirely.

Not saying I'm gonna but so tempting.

I don't think it's a big deal for you to tell people to use an app already designed for this task rather than build your own version that you'll then need to maintain. Unless there's some reason that images might need to be uploaded directly to the forum rather than imgur (discounting a waffleimages-like closure of imgur, because that seems less likely than SA upgrading their poo poo and losing all the attachments like the last time that happened) I think that's a perfectly acceptable solution that isn't a cop-out at all.

Reinventing the wheel and all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Would it be possible to add a feature to (locally) block mods from showing up in the app? The website won’t let me do that.