Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Comptroll The Forums posted:

Obvious solution would be to put a corkscrew into the slide as it rises upward to counter the g-force. Please fund my kickstarter for new wet and wild theme park god bless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Also the kid's dad was a politician who pushed hard for the deregulation that allowed the park to build that slide.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Baron von Eevl posted:

Also the kid's dad was a politician who pushed hard for the deregulation that allowed the park to build that slide.

It's like if the mayor in Jaws had his son eaten by the shark and afterwards was still arguing against hiring Quint if it meant his taxes might go up.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Baron von Eevl posted:

yikes

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

Through time immemorial there will always be....eh gently caress it. I'm not clever. Just take a really old thing we're all talking about :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zng5kRle4FA

holy poo poo. I never realized that's dan harmon and rob schrab.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Baron von Eevl posted:

Guess his kid will never be Head Boy.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Baron von Eevl posted:

Wow, Marx talked about capitalists creating their own grave-diggers, but this guy really did create the very guillotine that killed his kid.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

My favorite part of this image is a little bit subtle. Obviously the loop is way too small, and going around it would be like being put in a salad spinner. But look at the overall shape of it, and then look at a properly-designed roller coaster:

This shape, called a "clothoid" loop, is based on an archimedean spiral and allows the cars to maintain a constant g-force as they transition from straight-ahead to looping track, decelerate in the climb, turn over the top at minimum speed, and accelerate out the bottom again. The rider essentially just feels their regular body weight (or a gradual, mild increase) through the whole process. Safe and fairly comfortable.

In the circular loop they built in that water slide, a rider would notice an immediate and drastic increase in g-force as they entered the bottom of the loop, which would then drop off as they coasted to the top (possibly to a negative value, having them fly through the air inside the tube), then increase again as they basically just fell out of the second half and were suddenly redirected on hitting the lower surface of the exiting pipe.

A+

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
If that’s the Action Park slide then iirc they had a problem with people getting stuck halfway through the loop and had to install a rescue hatch

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
When I was a child I wrote a story about a waterslide that included a segment where you actually had to swim up a u-bend mid-way through the ride.

Thinking back, that was a really loving stupid thing to write.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Sagebrush posted:

My favorite part of this image is a little bit subtle. Obviously the loop is way too small, and going around it would be like being put in a salad spinner. But look at the overall shape of it, and then look at a properly-designed roller coaster:

This shape, called a "clothoid" loop, is based on an archimedean spiral and allows the cars to maintain a constant g-force as they transition from straight-ahead to looping track, decelerate in the climb, turn over the top at minimum speed, and accelerate out the bottom again. The rider essentially just feels their regular body weight (or a gradual, mild increase) through the whole process. Safe and fairly comfortable.

In the circular loop they built in that water slide, a rider would notice an immediate and drastic increase in g-force as they entered the bottom of the loop, which would then drop off as they coasted to the top (possibly to a negative value, having them fly through the air inside the tube), then increase again as they basically just fell out of the second half and were suddenly redirected on hitting the lower surface of the exiting pipe.

A+

This is a good post. A+ AF

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Comptroll The Forums posted:

When I was a child I wrote a story about a waterslide that included a segment where you actually had to swim up a u-bend mid-way through the ride.

Thinking back, that was a really loving stupid thing to write.

Cool.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Sagebrush posted:

when my sister was in high school she had a friend with dreadlocks (white girl) who developed a persistent cough. after several months of having this cough that never seemed to go away, she went to the doctor. the doctor took her history, did some basic examinations, said "i think i know what's going on, hang on" and cut off one of her dreds with a pair of scissors, split it open, and goes "yep, i was right, i've seen this a few times".

turns out the girl had been washing her dreadlocked hair too frequently and not drying it properly, so the matted core of each dred was staying constantly moist, and beyond the outer eighth-inch or so of hair, each one was filled with a colony of black mold. the cough was from constantly inhaling mold spores coming off her own hair.

and that's what I know about white people and dreds

Push El Burrito posted:

drat she couldn't stop appropriating cultures.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

I legit had to put down my phone and think about my life choices after reading that punchline.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
It came after a multi-page derail of goons bragging about how they piss, which took the edge off it a bit.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

:gonk:

(Not the punch line, that was great, but the thought of having your hair essentially be a big lump of black mold made my skin crawl)

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The Waterslide of Amigara Park

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Choco1980 posted:

I legit had to put down my phone and think about my life choices after reading that punchline.

Hopefully the next one will be "cutting your hair".

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Krispy Wafer posted:

The irony is people in the cities romanticize Native Americans where as people who deal with them every day can't stand them.

purple death ray posted:

Didn't know Andrew Jackson was a goon

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Flavius Belisarius posted:

that's nawt a buutt pluug. this is a buutt pluug

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

What noise does it make when he farts?

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
BRAAPO M8

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

I'm Native American. So sorry for your inconvenience of only killing 98% of us.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Olaf The Stout posted:

I'm Native American. So sorry for your inconvenience of only killing 98% of us.

Reminded me one of my favourite exchanges on SA:

OP posted:

What is everyone doing for Canada Day? Special one this year Canada turns 150 It falls on a Saturday this year, ill share my plans first. Going to take the kids to some official childrens 150 events in the morning then going to have a BBQ later in the day.

Unfortunately fire works got canceled in my city so we will have to come up with some other night time activity

Oh and I'm going to get some local micro brews to sip on while dadding it up on the grill

quote:

Probably draw stuff and hang out with my boyfriend. Looking forward to the end of all the obnoxious Canada 150 stuff.

OP posted:

that's a shame you don't think it's fun because we should celebrate how great our country is

quote:

It's not my country, and there isn't much great about it.

Random Cheerleader posted:

lol seriously? feel free to leave anytime.

OP posted:

lmao you might be the first person who has been from another country and told me they didn't think canada was a good place to live, can I ask you what country you are from that is a lot better?

quote:

I'm Cree.

OP posted:

I would kindly ask that we don't politicize this thread it's a celebration about Canada's 150th birthday, I would be more than happy to discuss my country's flaws and aggressions in another thread, tia

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I would pay good money to see that person's face at the exact moment they read "I'm Cree." Holy crap, that's amazing.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Seriously its like.
gently caress WEVE BEEN COMPROMISED SHUT IT DOWN.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

What noise does it make when he farts?

The word "noice" but screamed underwater

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Jeza posted:

Reminded me one of my favourite exchanges on SA:

How can you be so proud to celebrate Canada day if your first instinct in that situation isn't to apologize profusely? A shameful Canadian.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

No true Canadian would apologize for anything Canadian, up to and including Canada itself.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Solice Kirsk posted:

No true Canadian would apologize for anything Canadian, up to and including Canada itself.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Solice Kirsk posted:

Untrue, we apologize for apologizing too much.

But yeah, that exchange hits very close to home.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

canada is a dreary, grey windblown hellscape that is visually indistinguishable from the more boring parts of russia populated by sheepish pushovers who blanch at the thought of doing anything interesting, but who have also formed a secret unspoken pact to pretend they're better than everyone else and have managed to do so with such overpowering smugness that they've actually accomplished the greatest deception in history: convincing the world that canada doesn't suck

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

cock hero flux posted:

they've actually accomplished the greatest deception in history: convincing the world that canada doesn't suck

Credit shouldn't just go to Canada. The US is always coming up with new and great ways to help with that.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Esplanade posted:

Trrying something new with the Passion Play this year, I see.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

no, they're doing stations of the crossfit

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

And now on "guess the thread":

drrockso20 posted:

When it comes to Ken Penders I'll say this much, if I were to discover that I had terminal cancer, one of the last items on my bucket list would be to take a power sander to his hands

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Is the worst comic thread still around?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Hihohe posted:

Is the worst comic thread still around?

There's a Bad Webcomics thread in CCCC https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3822798

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Deathy McDeath posted:

The six minutes of silence was incredibly powerful. 

Steezo posted:

Yet the Broward County Sheriff did nothing for a lot longer than six minutes and gets no applause

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Oooooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I remember there being a discussion somewhere, somethread on SA where goons shared their childhood Action Park experiences. The place must've been magical in a way that only ten-year olds without a healthy fear of death could appreciate :allears: