Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Mr. Nice! posted:

had to go look that one up and no she’s not. his daughter’s scenes where mostly cut but she does appear as basically an extra in a few places.

https://movies.stackexchange.com/questions/10113/who-is-the-daughter-of-john-spartan-in-demolition-man

around 40 minutes in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

i particularly like the part where the post-war government decided purely by fiat that manufacturing jobs should support a good standard of living because there was a good chance of massive civil unrest if they did not

and then people forgot all about the massive government intervention part and just became fixated on and obsessed with the manufacturing part

good poo poo

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Sapozhnik posted:

i particularly like the part where the post-war government decided purely by fiat that manufacturing jobs should support a good standard of living because there was a good chance of massive civil unrest if they did not

that didn't really happen and most manufacturing jobs actually sucked but sure you were technically getting by and technically having a "good" standard of living compared to your parents (who were your age during the great depression).

the housing was usually shoddily built, appliances constantly needed repair but at least you had them, same deal with the cars. there were nice manufacturing jobs but only to a limited extent and usually in certain industries in certain places.

boomers et al just talk it all up because they vaguely remember things were fine when they were young kids being blasted in the face by the local poison truck on their way to eat lead paint at school

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Ferdinand the Bull posted:

Just chiming in to say that the local pizza place in my neighborhood in Japan won best pizza one year in a pizza competition in Italy.

if it's in tokyo, I would love to know the place. thanks!

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Stymie posted:

mechanized, but labor nonetheless

the us has shifted to a largely service-based economy and now there are whole swathes of "workers" who do nothing but sit behind a desk all day typing, so they turn to food and sugary drinks as a way to combat the soul-crushing tedium and find even a moment's joy in their lives

if they actually worked a job where what they accomplished was meaningful then the obesity rates would plummet

you dont know what youre talking about.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

that's a contributing factor but it's not the main one. america is fatter than most first-world nations, and places like japan with highly mechanized labor have far lower obesity rates than the USA

it's the easy availability of refined sugars and complex carbohydrates, mostly, and americans' inability to keep from gorging themselves on them

its this

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
pretty much all the other developed nations are catching up to america's in fatness and the australians and a few others are already ahead.

its all down to the fact that food is massively less expensive than it was in the past and when food became cheap enough in each country to largely wipe out outright starvation tends to be a good predictor of when in the future that country would be full of very fat people, because it takes a lot of time of overeating building up before it really shows

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

my bitter bi rival posted:

you dont know what youre talking about.

look who you're quoting, idiot

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
im glad that im losing weight and building muscle and drinking more water because its easy to do the exact opposite in the usa. so easy

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

fishmech posted:

pretty much all the other developed nations are catching up to america's in fatness and the australians and a few others are already ahead.

its all down to the fact that food is massively less expensive than it was in the past and when food became cheap enough in each country to largely wipe out outright starvation tends to be a good predictor of when in the future that country would be full of very fat people, because it takes a lot of time of overeating building up before it really shows

i think that its more that industrial processed unhealthy convenience food is massively less expensive than it was in the past and is less expensive/more convenient than healthier options

california farm workers are a well-studied population for this

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/23/us/in-a-california-valley-healthy-food-everywhere-but-on-the-table.html
https://ideas.repec.org/p/ags/aaea16/235530.html
https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/88f5/c603fd758bc843876e283d4c138e19eeb6a2.pdf
http://www.annalsofepidemiology.org/article/S1047-2797(10)00248-6/abstract

Endless Mike posted:

look who you're quoting, idiot

like a moth to a flame

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

industrial processed unhealthy convenience food

this is a fake concept, so no argument that relies on it is real. there is also not really such a thing as a "healthy food" despite how much scam artists want to sell you they have the magic healthy food that you can eat as much as you want. it is solely down to people being able to afford more food and largely doing so.

all food is much cheaper and more available in the us compared to the money people have to spend than it was before ww2, and especially than it was prior to first world war when america was still majority rural with tons of the rural population essentially operating just enough above substience level to survive a bad year or two every so often

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
its 100% that corn is cheap as poo poo, is incredibly energy dense, and can be made into any number of products that have generally good shelf stability.

the "healthy alternatives" are only that because their calorie per dollar value is so low.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

If you don't lose your virginity by the time you're 27 you absolutely are a loser, yes.

adult virgins should suck off a loving pistol. nobody wants them and they are a burden on society.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

fishmech posted:

this is a fake concept, so no argument that relies on it is real. there is also not really such a thing as a "healthy food" despite how much scam artists want to sell you they have the magic healthy food that you can eat as much as you want. it is solely down to people being able to afford more food and largely doing so.

all food is much cheaper and more available in the us compared to the money people have to spend than it was before ww2, and especially than it was prior to first world war when america was still majority rural with tons of the rural population essentially operating just enough above substience level to survive a bad year or two every so often

i already got stymied i'm not getting fishmeched too. "junk food" is real and is not a made up concept.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

kill the ugly. drown them if you have to.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Shaggar posted:

its 100% that corn is cheap as poo poo, is incredibly energy dense, and can be made into any number of products that have generally good shelf stability.

the "healthy alternatives" are only that because their calorie per dollar value is so low.

aussies are even fatter and dont do nearly as much corn cuz corn isnt as easy to grow there.

simple fact of the matter is if your country functions right at all you're going to end up with a lot of cheap food one way or the other, and thats a good thing with a side effect of people getting fat

i already got stymied i'm not getting fishmeched too. "junk food" is real and is not a made up concept.

"junk food" is a concept made up by people who want to convince you that all you need to do is buy their junk that they're selling as food instead. "processed food" "industrial food" etc are all meaningless. it's the same as when some place decides they're going to fight obesity by taxing the soda that has 30 grams of sugar per 8 ounces but not the pure orange juice that's 35 grams of sugar because the oj isn't Junk.

you can choose to not believe it, but that's just because you buy into some serious orthorexia bullshit that might as well be a picky little toddler's food opinions.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
postin in a fishmech derail

can confirm started making deece figgies and got fat, now I just need to figure out how to get un-fat

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

fishmech posted:

aussies are even fatter and dont do nearly as much corn cuz corn isnt as easy to grow there.

simple fact of the matter is if your country functions right at all you're going to end up with a lot of cheap food one way or the other, and thats a good thing with a side effect of people getting fat

"junk food" is a concept made up by people who want to convince you that all you need to do is buy their junk that they're selling as food instead. "processed food" "industrial food" etc are all meaningless. it's the same as when some place decides they're going to fight obesity by taxing the soda that has 30 grams of sugar per 8 ounces but not the pure orange juice that's 35 grams of sugar because the oj isn't Junk.

you can choose to not believe it, but that's just because you buy into some serious orthorexia bullshit that might as well be a picky little toddler's food opinions.

What? Veggies, chicken, and rice aren't some kind of expensive name brand health foods.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

behead those who reply to fishmech

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

fishmech posted:

This is like the ultimate :goonsay:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

carry on then posted:

adult virgins should suck off a loving pistol.

no suicide requests in YOSPOS please

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/lexnfx/status/978397089024524288

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Anal Del Raytheon posted:

What? Veggies, chicken, and rice aren't some kind of expensive name brand health foods.

and if you eat a lot of them you still get fat. lol like drat chicken is one of the most popular "junk foods" in most of the western world

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i wish veganism was actually even somewhat compatible with human physiology because the industrial farming of livestock is really hosed up if you stop to think about it :smith:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
i think i might buy a couple chickens this summer, get me some fresh eggs

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Anal Del Raytheon posted:

This is like the ultimate :goonsay:

He's not wrong, ultimately it comes down to calories in versus calories out. "Junk food" just represents food that is high in calories, which was useful back in the day.

Go look at what manual laborers in the US ate in the mid-nineteenth century. poo poo like bread fried in pork fat.

now we have poo poo like this but no way to burn the calories off

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwgLG9PCBmk

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
i have chickens, and you'll get attached to them just like any other pets you may have. and if you have an outdoor cat, they'll get along with eachother pretty well most of the time

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Improbable Lobster posted:

i think i might buy a couple chickens this summer, get me some fresh eggs

i found out my neighbourhood isn't one of the ones that recently allowed backyard chickens. i mean, it's fine because they'd be murdered by, like, everything else around here, but i'm a bit disappointed nonetheless

Apr 7, 2003

i'm gonna go get one of those three point rib bloomin onions and eat the whole loving thing by myself.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

infernal machines posted:

i found out my neighbourhood isn't one of the ones that recently allowed backyard chickens. i mean, it's fine because they'd be murdered by, like, everything else around here, but i'm a bit disappointed nonetheless

three words: emotional. support. animal.

get a little harness and a leash. take it to the movies.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

i'm gonna go get one of those three point rib bloomin onions and eat the whole loving thing by myself.

somebody trip reported it and said it's really good lol. But of course yeah, 54,882 calories. You gotta eat that after you dig a ditch or something

Apr 7, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

somebody trip reported it and said it's really good lol. But of course yeah, 54,882 calories. You gotta eat that after you dig a ditch or something

after you're done eating it, lay in the ditch and cover yourself up lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Jonny 290 posted:

But of course yeah, 54,882 calories.

holy gently caress.

these are meant for a table of 20 right?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Jonny 290 posted:

my brother just started a thru-hike of the AT, i did the first week with him. biggest day was like 9 miles with 2k feet of elevation change, 30lb pack, and i was still just hitting ~2000 active calories according to my watch. completely blew past my body's systems for hydration and calories, by day 4 I was just stuffing my face just short of vomiting and just barely getting it right

can't imagine how long 54k cal would take a 4'20" person tbqh

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
im kinda surprised outback steakhouse is even still around. seemed p popular around here late 90s-ish then basically dead once recession hit. theres only a few left in the area that i can think of

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Xaris posted:

im kinda surprised outback steakhouse is even still around. seemed p popular around here late 90s-ish then basically dead once recession hit. theres only a few left in the area that i can think of

this is damning with faint praise, but the one around here is probably the best restaurant of the chain joints. the other end of the spectrum being applebees. :barf:

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
i worked at outback for years and ate a gently caress ton of their food. Its good

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

i went there with my inlaws once and i remember liking the bread they served before the meal.

i can't even remember what i ordered, but i remember my wife ordered a steak and we still laugh at what a mistake that was.

Apr 7, 2003

Xaris posted:

restaurant capacity was way overbuilt in the nineties and when the reckoning hits it's gonna fuckin decimate the strip malls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

im glad that im losing weight and building muscle and drinking more water because its easy to do the exact opposite in the usa. so easy

you live in the skinniest state in the union. coloradoans are almost as thin as canadians

not judging or anything, just a neat factoid

JawnV6 posted:

my brother just started a thru-hike of the AT, i did the first week with him. biggest day was like 9 miles with 2k feet of elevation change, 30lb pack, and i was still just hitting ~2000 active calories according to my watch. completely blew past my body's systems for hydration and calories, by day 4 I was just stuffing my face just short of vomiting and just barely getting it right

can't imagine how long 54k cal would take a 4'20" person tbqh

i knew a guy in college who had some sort of lucky growth hormone disorder that didn't give him any major negative side effects, but just meant that his whole physiology was cranked to 11. he was like 6'10", 250lb, normal body shape, and he had to eat like 4500 cal/day just to keep from starving. he produced so much body heat that when we'd be hiking to the bar in the dead of canadian winter he'd be in a t-shirt, basketball shorts, boots and gloves, nothing else.

he really got his money's worth from the res hall meal plan i tell you what