Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Thundercloud posted:

Go on Perry miniatures, they have blisters to support their plastics.

https://www.perry-miniatures.com/index.php?cPath=23_74_75&osCsid=m60rldcm9ol32smbn2un80mdn7

For the SAS use the cloth cap heads in the box or pick up a blister or two of metals.

For additional vehicles Perry do a bunch of good stuff in resin.

Yvonmukluk posted:

I would add to Thundercloud's suggestions that Rubicon do some great kits for most of the vehicles you'd expect to find in North Africa (LRDG Jeep, early model Shermans, the CMP Truck & the Crusader), which are usually slightly cheaper than the Perry vehicles, if you'd rather not faff about with resin.

Thanks for the info! I managed to slap together a 1000 point list with what I have so far: Operation Lightfoot selector, 1 Lt., 1 FAO, 2 squads of 8 SAS each with SMGs, 2 full Infantry Sections with an LMG and a Loader each and my Churchill.

Going forward, I definitely want to get some transports for the SAS but i can't decide which route to go. Probably Bren Carriers. After that, I'm thinking of adding some support - mortars or MMGs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Moooooooooooon posted:

That makes sense. 8th Route Army selector is maybe a bit unusual in that it covers the army from 1937 to 1945. In fact, glancing through Easy Army I don't see anything else with dates that cover the whole war (let alone the full Sino-Japanese war).

How dominant do tanks get in late war games? Tigers look pretty rough but in a 1000 point game they'd take up almost half your points... Are they worth it?

Non-traditional lists like Partisans and Occupation forces are the same way - just one list for the whole war. They are usually meant to be played against other non-frontline lists so they don't get totally stomped.

Looking at the 8th Route Army I think you would probably fare just fine against the IJA Kwantung Army. Their AFV are mostly armored cars and some light tanks which you could feasibly defeat.

The problem with late-war tanks is they are nigh impossible to destroy without dedicated AT weapons like AT guns, panzerfausts/bazookas, other tanks. Basically you'd have a mobile, invincible pillbox with two machineguns and an artillery piece running around causing you trouble. Having been on the reciving end of that, you can still win but it's not very fun.

There are rules for captured equipment though. So if a friend will loan you a tank to make it sporting you could try that. See here at the bottom of this article: http://articles.warlordgames.com/focus-captured-vehicles-in-bolt-action/

lilljonas posted:

There’s no reason ever to go for a resin tank if there’s a plastic alternative imho.

I buy a lot of models second-hand because I'm a cheap-rear end and I always groan when it turns out to be a resin kit instead of plastic. Oh great, one giant hunk of toxic material I need to sand into shape with no customization options.

Class Warcraft fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Mar 23, 2018

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Huzzah, finished up another lot of DAK dudes:

I still need to put some tufts of dead grass and little camel bushes here and there on their bases, but it feels good to have another entirely painted force for Chain of Command.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Class Warcraft posted:

I buy a lot of models second-hand because I'm a cheap-rear end and I always groan when it turns out to be a resin kit instead of plastic. Oh great, one giant hunk of toxic material I need to sand into shape with no customization options.

Also, the guns will either be overdimensioned or break.

Or both.

gently caress resin tanks.

Moooooooooooon
Nov 24, 2007

Class Warcraft posted:

The problem with late-war tanks is they are nigh impossible to destroy without dedicated AT weapons like AT guns, panzerfausts/bazookas, other tanks.

What are people's thoughts on AT guns? The 8th Route list allows for a Zis-2 medium AT gun (late war only). At 75 points (reg) it's not exactly cheap but combined with 2 to 3 suicide AT guys it might not be enough to kill a late war tank but it might help me keep things uncomfortable for them. And is there any point buying a limber? Moving it around seems to be defeating the point a bit...

Ilor posted:

Huzzah, finished up another lot of DAK dudes:

Liking the look of these guys. I'm looking forward to having some painted squads of my own to show off. I forgot how fiddly painting minis is. Trying to get in to paint behind rifles is a nightmare.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

Moooooooooooon posted:

What are people's thoughts on AT guns?

Been a while since I played Bolt Action, but I used it more for area denial than actual AT work as my opponent tended to try and outmaneuver it than directly face it. Keep in mind this was v1 when moving an AT gun, even pivoting on point, meant you couldn't fire it in the same turn so they are probably more versatile now. We also house ruled that they could be deployed as hidden if put in terrain that completely concealed them to make them more realistic and a viable option.

Finally finished my 6mm Saga project, which took way longer than I thought because sourcing modeling poo poo in SE Asia was not as easy as I had thought it would be. I also knocked together some cheap foamcore movement trays so they could pull double duty in something like Hail Caesar.

Moooooooooooon
Nov 24, 2007

Springfield Fatts posted:

Been a while since I played Bolt Action, but I used it more for area denial than actual AT work as my opponent tended to try and outmaneuver it than directly face it.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I figured. Sounds like it might be worth investing in once I have the rest of my army done. Plus, it would be nice to have at least one big gently caress-off gun in my army.

That's a nice looking force, by the way. 28mm already feels so small to me - I have no idea how anyone ever paints at 6mm.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
I moved toto Richmond VA and no one here does flames of war, only bolt action. Fow might be in the nova region. How do I get started on bolt action? I was thinking I'd like to do soviets.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Buy the rulebook. Buy some minis.

I like the specific Soviet book, too, but it isn't technically necessary.

For minis, you can watch for sales at DreamForge, and then supplement them with minis from Bad Squiddo so you have some women in the ranks.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Unless you're European, in which case you can kiss yer DreamForge goodbye!

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

chutche2 posted:

I moved toto Richmond VA and no one here does flames of war, only bolt action. Fow might be in the nova region. How do I get started on bolt action? I was thinking I'd like to do soviets.

In addition to what everyone else said:

http://boltaction.easyarmy.com is helpful for building armies (and another reason you don't need the Russia-specific book unless you just want to read it)

Don't forget to buy order dice, probably 2 packs.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
If you are in the UK the build your own army is a good deal.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

In addition to what everyone else said:

http://boltaction.easyarmy.com is helpful for building armies (and another reason you don't need the Russia-specific book unless you just want to read it)

Don't forget to buy order dice, probably 2 packs.

Order dice are over priced, you can get like 30 blank dice for a couple bucks and just write on them with a thin sharpie.

Also just a warning about playing Soviets, a lot of their lists are tons of inexperienced infantry, which is not a very newbie friendly list. It can be frustrating to have your guys get shot at a few times and become permapinned because their morale is too lovely to rally back from that. Keep that in mind when you build your army. Also warlord has 33% off the soviet infantry box right now which is a good deal and will get you 40 men.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Counter point: order dice are super cool.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

If BBC reports that a naked, Khaki-stained Lithuanian was throwing poop at the British embassy in Vilnius, it will have happened because I was gifted this:

50 Commandos (10 or so built)
~10ish meral Paras
25 Regulars
Metal Charles Upham.

Now accepting advice on how to paint Commandos to make them stand out more than just "Regulars with berets and maybe a knife."

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Thundercloud posted:

If you are in the UK the build your own army is a good deal.

It's a good deal here in the States as well. I recently picked up a bunch of Italians.

(Which I'll probably use for CoC.)

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Hell yeah, at least Bad Squiddo has a non-ugly medic.

http://badsquiddogames.com/shop#!/British-Field-Medics-and-Wounded-Soldier/p/93150517/category=20887953

Now if any company had a non ugly command squad and spotters. The metal one at WG leaves much to be desired.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

JcDent posted:

Now accepting advice on how to paint Commandos to make them stand out more than just "Regulars with berets and maybe a knife."
Get some heads with, or sculpt on, cap comforters instead of berets. Some of the veterans would hang onto them for the hell of it.

Moooooooooooon
Nov 24, 2007

chutche2 posted:

How do I get started on bolt action?

I recommend doing what I'm doing: pick the most obscure army list that you can find and spend the next few months slowly hacking together an army out of bitz and green stuff. Or, you know, you could just pick up a totally viable starter army for any major force directly from Warlord...

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

JcDent posted:

Someone is a great friend to you!

The warlord commandos are an excellent kit - They already have all sorts of commando gear and unique backpacks with rope, plus a transfer sheet with insignia.

Also their absurd amount of SMGs should help distinguish them.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

chutche2 posted:

How do I get started on bolt action?
Pick a nationality, buy a basic infantry platoon's worth of dudes of said nationality and maybe a tank or an AT gun or something, paint them up to a decent tabletop standard, and bring them to the FLGS where Bolt Action is being played.

Then convince your opponent to play Chain of Command instead, because it's a better game. :colbert:

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
So while there's no flames of war here, there is Team Yankee apparently. I met some guys there last night that are going to be showing me the ropes next week. One of them is a former West German tanker who now plays with East German tanks. Go figure.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

JcDent posted:

If BBC reports that a naked, Khaki-stained Lithuanian was throwing poop at the British embassy in Vilnius, it will have happened because I was gifted this:

50 Commandos (10 or so built)
~10ish meral Paras
25 Regulars
Metal Charles Upham.

Sup fellow Commando buddy!

I have sort of been using Artizan Designs' paint guides, but typically the website is down right now.

The Commandos' Bergen is a handy way to distinguish from the regulars, since it's very distinct from the standard pack the regulars wear, and is I believe a khaki green as opposed to the sandy/beige khaki.

You could kind of flip the script and instead paint the regulars differently, since the Canadians did fight alongside the Commandos a fair few times (not just at Dieppe, but also for the Battle of the Scheldt), and their uniforms were made of a greener cloth. The only guide I can find that has any suggestions for how to acheive that is this ancient Flames of War one. I don't even know if those paints are still made any more.

Also you might be interested in the Normandy Commando force selector, since that lets you bring tanks as opposed to the Raiders! Selector. Also it lets you double up on MGs for your commando sections :getin:

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Moooooooooooon posted:

I recommend doing what I'm doing: pick the most obscure army list that you can find and spend the next few months slowly hacking together an army out of bitz and green stuff.

It's always good to meet another 6th RCT Brazilian Expeditionary Force player!

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I already have a set scheme for my Regulars - I had previously purchased a box myself, so I already know the pain involved in assembly, and I even have transfers already. I guess berets and Thompsons will have to do!

With 50 dudes, I can probably allow myself to assemble them in a variety of ways, including doppel MGs, which aren't in the Easy Army Armies of GB reinforced platoon. I want them to support my regulars by outflanking some SMGs and maybe Fairbarn-Sykesing some dudes.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

JcDent posted:

I already have a set scheme for my Regulars - I had previously purchased a box myself, so I already know the pain involved in assembly, and I even have transfers already. I guess berets and Thompsons will have to do!

With 50 dudes, I can probably allow myself to assemble them in a variety of ways, including doppel MGs, which aren't in the Easy Army Armies of GB reinforced platoon. I want them to support my regulars by outflanking some SMGs and maybe Fairbarn-Sykesing some dudes.

Berets & Thompsons & Bergens! It's actually remarkable to compare them to the packs the regulars have and see how much modern they look. I guess there's a reasons they're the template for most modern military backpacks.

I actually ordered some German weapons sprues and gave some of my dudes German weapons (MG42s/MG34s in particular). It's historically accurate (for a given value of 'historically accurate', in that at least some of the RM Commandos did wind up running around with German weaponry), and they make a nice proxy for the Vickers K. The MGs fit pretty much perfectly in the Bren Gun arms.

I wound up buying a box of the plastic Brit paras, and in my research I found out that the Commandos did also use a variant of the Denison Smock, so I'm actually mixing it up a bit by doing headswaps to have another section of Commandos that will be nice and visually distinctive from their compatriots. And I can use the battle bowlers with them without worrying about confusing them for regulars*, allowing me to maintain a strategic beret reserve.

I salute your commitment to Fairburns-Sykesing the enemy, it's my personal favourite playstyle (some might call it a counterproductive gimmick - those people are wrong). The only to keep in mind that not all games allow outflanking. It's also worth noting that if you want to try the Normandy list, you might want to make some Commando Snipers, Light Mortars, Piats, etc. since that selector gives you the option.

*I do actually use helmets on some of my 'normal' commandos, to help diversify my dudes a little more. I get around getting them mixed up with regulars by not fielding any.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

We'll see how it goes!

And yes, the lack of Vickers K in the sprue is both noticeable and sad. I want my big relic gun, drat it!

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
So the Perry Desert Rats sprues come with 12 figures per sprue (2 of which are prone and make for good weapons teams options like 2" mortar or Boys AT Rifle). Unlike the DAK sprue, which has a gently caress-ton of both caps and helmets, each Desert Rats sprue has...12 helmets. So if you gently caress anything up, there are no spares. Worse, the plastic itself is tan. So if you're ever so carefully trimming one of those helmets and it goes skittering off your table and lands on your beige berber carpet... :cripes:

I spent like 20 minutes looking for that tiny loving helmet before I finally found it. :argh:

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Ilor posted:

So the Perry Desert Rats sprues come with 12 figures per sprue (2 of which are prone and make for good weapons teams options like 2" mortar or Boys AT Rifle). Unlike the DAK sprue, which has a gently caress-ton of both caps and helmets, each Desert Rats sprue has...12 helmets. So if you gently caress anything up, there are no spares. Worse, the plastic itself is tan. So if you're ever so carefully trimming one of those helmets and it goes skittering off your table and lands on your beige berber carpet... :cripes:

I spent like 20 minutes looking for that tiny loving helmet before I finally found it. :argh:

My model-building space is in our spare room which used to have shag carpet the same grey color as most plastic sprues, meaning anything that I dropped into it was pretty much lost forever. When we finally replaced it I took the carpet outside and shook it upside down and dozens of little bits fell out onto the ground.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Colonial Air Force posted:

Buy the rulebook. Buy some minis.

I like the specific Soviet book, too, but it isn't technically necessary.

For minis, you can watch for sales at DreamForge, and then supplement them with minis from Bad Squiddo so you have some women in the ranks.

you realize you can make 6 women soldiers from the dreamforge soviet box right?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I painted some dudes from the 1st/2nd Crusades.

The bases are a bit boring at the moment because I ran out of suitably middle-eastern looking grass.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Ilor posted:

I just put mine together and ran into the same issue. Clipped off some of the heads which shot across the room and landed in the carpet. Gone forever.

Moooooooooooon
Nov 24, 2007

Cessna posted:

It's always good to meet another 6th RCT Brazilian Expeditionary Force player!

That's an interesting choice, I wonder why...

Ah.

Colonial Air Force posted:

supplement them with minis from Bad Squiddo so you have some women in the ranks.

I'd kill to have some women in my 8th Route Army
force.

Also, there's an oil painter out there with a serious hard on for female Chinese civil war soldiers.

Endman posted:

I painted some dudes from the 1st/2nd Crusades.

I very briefly thought that the standard bearer had a penguin on his shoulder.

How did you paint the putees? I've tried painting and inking with various washes but they always come out looking like a mess. Do you do the black first and then the white over them?

Moooooooooooon fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Mar 30, 2018

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Hey there, sailor, wanna tread on me?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

you realize you can make 6 women soldiers from the dreamforge soviet box right?

Sure. But I like supporting Bad Squiddo, and they look better.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Moooooooooooon posted:

Also, there's an oil painter out there with a serious hard on for female Chinese civil war soldiers.

There's a whole branch of the PLA that's just attractive singers and performers, both male and female. Peng Liyuan, the "first lady" of China, is a general in the PLA and the extent of her duties is pop singer and propaganda maven.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Battlefront's new soft plastic soldiermans are atrocious. I have a box of the old metal Soviet infantry, and bought a box of the new plastic ones mostly out of curiosity.

There are the obvious soft plastic problems (all the LMGs are banana shaped right out of the box, can't bend them back), but the overall quality is incredibly bad.

The painted guy is a old metal one. It's a 15mm model, so the detail isn't amazing, but he is holding what is quite clearly a AK with a grenade launcher. The AK has some detailing, too. The plastic dudes are holding weird boxy GI-Joe guns, and their faces are like deeply unsettling skull-people. Their proportions are also way out of whack (look at those loving hands!).

I usually prefer plastics to metal but god-drat

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Geisladisk posted:

Battlefront's new soft plastic soldiermans are atrocious. I have a box of the old metal Soviet infantry, and bought a box of the new plastic ones mostly out of curiosity.

There are the obvious soft plastic problems (all the LMGs are banana shaped right out of the box, can't bend them back), but the overall quality is incredibly bad.

The painted guy is a old metal one. It's a 15mm model, so the detail isn't amazing, but he is holding what is quite clearly a AK with a grenade launcher. The AK has some detailing, too. The plastic dudes are holding weird boxy GI-Joe guns, and their faces are like deeply unsettling skull-people. Their proportions are also way out of whack (look at those loving hands!).

I usually prefer plastics to metal but god-drat

The faces are at least better than the north africa stuff, which just didn't really have them at all.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

spectralent posted:

The faces are at least better than the north africa stuff, which just didn't really have them at all.

These guys, by contrast, have way too much face. They can't seem to hit the right amount of face!

All the hard plastic vehicles I have from BF are really good, and the crewmen that come with them are too. These giant-handed gorilla-faced GI-Joe laser-shooting soft plastic turds can gently caress right off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
It's really weird, as the hard plastic Germans, UK and US WW2 are probably some of the best 15mm infantry you can get. Why did they stop making them like that? It's mind-boggling