Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yeah the next part of the manga is great, crossing my fingers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

A good episode, I liked that Mei and Yuzu actually seem to be trying to work through their issues instead of avoiding them and giving each other the silent treatment. Also that Matsuri now seems to genuinely care for Yuzu rather than just being a meddling jerk (I got the impression from her introduction that she deliberately engineered the breakup her other friend was crying about and was doing the same with Yuzu and Mei).

People who've read the Manga, how different is it from the show? Is it worth picking up?

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Zark the Damned posted:

People who've read the Manga, how different is it from the show? Is it worth picking up?

The show stays really close to the manga. I do love the slight changes they've made to the source material, but it's nothing major.

One change that was a bit unexpected was Himeko's eyebrow reduction:

I think she may secretly be related to that dude from FLCL:

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
There are a few minor changes but most of the major plot beats are identical to the manga's first 4 volumes. Mei and Himeko are shown to soften up to Yuzu's antics a lot sooner (Himeko doesn't really become "part of the gang" until Volume 7 or so), Anthoniko (Mei's bear keychain) has a different backstory, and certain early scenes (Mei searching and later, erm, "kissing" Yuzu) are HUGELY embellished in the anime, but overall it's very faithful.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

And More posted:

The show stays really close to the manga. I do love the slight changes they've made to the source material, but it's nothing major.

One change that was a bit unexpected was Himeko's eyebrow reduction:

Tiny goth is secretly the best character.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Dzhay posted:

Tiny goth is secretly the best character.

Drills (even small ones) and frills are indicators of a princess, not goth.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Xelkelvos posted:

Yuzu thinks a goth girl on the train looks like Himeko, though, so :shrug:

Also, mild spoilers about her look in later chapters: Himeko's eyebrow game is intensifying

I hope they let Himeko reach her final form, if there is a season two.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
That was a fun ride, here's hoping a S2 is made.

https://twitter.com/citrus_anime/status/977929742945894401

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

And More posted:

Yuzu thinks a goth girl on the train looks like Himeko, though, so :shrug:

Also, mild spoilers about her look in later chapters: Himeko's eyebrow game is intensifying

I hope they let Himeko reach her final form, if there is a season two.

Her eyebrows are still behind her hair, so her power has a ways to go.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Xelkelvos posted:

The particular style she goes for is known as gothloli

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Awww that was nice.

But with this and Dragonball Super over where am I going to get my punchmans lesbian schoolgirls lesbian puchgirls now.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

OK, sounds like picking up the Manga is the way to go (at least until S2 is hopefully announced). Not bought any in freaking ages though, do the translations nowadays come with the extra bits like the CDs or are those Japan only?

Also should I start picking up stuff now or wait til it's finished so I can binge without ridiculous cliffhangers and long waits?

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Natural 20 posted:

Awww that was nice.

But with this and Dragonball Super over where am I going to get my punchmans lesbian schoolgirls lesbian puchgirls now.

https://dynasty-scans.com/series/teppu

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Zark the Damned posted:

OK, sounds like picking up the Manga is the way to go (at least until S2 is hopefully announced). Not bought any in freaking ages though, do the translations nowadays come with the extra bits like the CDs or are those Japan only?

Also should I start picking up stuff now or wait til it's finished so I can binge without ridiculous cliffhangers and long waits?

The Seven Seas version only includes the extra story made for each volume, the additional side chapters made as bonus for different retailers aren't included. Not really a huge deal but the closure for the twins is on one of those stories.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

I love this. :allears:

Are they actually gonna start dating or is it just a normal martial arts thing?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Sadly Natsuo just wants to beat girls up, not date them.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

And it abruptly just stops as well. :(

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Sindai posted:

Sadly Natsuo just wants to beat girls up, not date them.

Well, that's fine, too, I guess.

Poil posted:

And it abruptly just stops as well. :(

I guess that's a fitting end for a protagonist who gets bored quickly.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Natural 20 posted:

Awww that was nice.

No lesbians here either, but actual punch (and grapple) girls

https://mangadex.org/manga/22598/hanakaku-the-last-girl-standing

The real answer is, of course, Keijo!!!!!!!!

The Warthog
Mar 25, 2013

Did I just do your job for you?

Zark the Damned posted:

The drama CDs have all been translated on youtube, if you want to check them out.

As for the manga Ch 36 ended on a gut wrenching cliffhanger and Ch 37 will be out in Japan in about three weeks

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Natural 20 posted:

Awww that was nice.

*bursting into the room, out of breath*

my dude, have you heard of Symphogear?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/glidesloe/status/978397745827336192?s=19

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Eela6 posted:

*bursting into the room, out of breath*

my dude, have you heard of Symphogear?

Oh no how did I not think of this, I am a shameful Symphogear stan

watch Symphogear

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Natural 20 posted:

Awww that was nice.

lesbian schoolgirl punchgirls

LibrarianCroaker fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Apr 5, 2018

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

I think you're all wrong, and Teppu was actually the correct answer:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
usually more stabgirls

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Xelkelvos posted:

Himeko and Matsuri would probably not get on, but I feel safe in assuming they are both far more interested in the concept of "sexy vampires" than the average person.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I love that Yuzu being a perv is a thing amidst the fandom

https://twitter.com/maidoll/status/979243297246871558

:allears:

Beware with that account tho, is NSFW.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I love that Yuzu being a perv is a thing amidst the fandom

https://twitter.com/maidoll/status/979243297246871558

:allears:

Beware with that account tho, is NSFW.

Something very strange is happening with Yuzu's neck.

There is a minor manga spoiler in that image, btw.

The strangest fanart-type thing are probably the official bonus chapters where Yuzu and Mei turn into cat people and have to make out to get rid of their fur.

And More fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Mar 29, 2018

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Non lovely quality pic

https://twitter.com/maidoll/status/969945785361039362?s=19

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

And More posted:

Something very strange is happening with Yuzu's neck.

Same, but her shirt/right breast.
Also, that bra seems a lot more daring that I'd expect from her, at least based on the leopard print straps

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
In the anime she's shown owning a bunch of items stamped with leopard prints so is not a stretch to assume that includes underwear.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Speaking of that, how much padding is she using?

RME
Feb 20, 2012

And More posted:

The strangest fanart-type thing are probably the official bonus chapters where Yuzu and Mei turn into cat people and have to make out to get rid of their fur.

Ah, a loveless crossover

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Leopard print is inextricably linked with gyarus in Japan in the same way as pub landladies here.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
I've become way more emotionally invested in this drama than I should be. Can't wait for the next chapter, because this loving cliff hanger is killing me.

Thisuck fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 2, 2018

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

RME posted:

Ah, a loveless crossover

Man, anime sure stayed weird while I wasn't looking.

Thisuck posted:

I've become way more emotionally invested in this drama than I should be. Can't wait for the next chapter, because this tucking cliff hanger is killing me.

What's killing me about the manga cliffhanger is that I can't actually see a way out. If I had to continue writing this story, it would just be a full on Edith Wharton "society sure is hosed beyond repair"-type ending. Presumably, that's not the gyaru way, though, so I'm sure it'll be fine.

Something that I don't quite understand about that last chapter: Mei calls herself immature, while implying that Yuzu is more mature. Do you think she doesn't realise that Yuzu is figuring this poo poo out as she goes?

And More fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Mar 31, 2018

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

And More posted:

Man, anime sure stayed weird while I wasn't looking.

What's killing me about the manga cliffhanger is that I can't actually see a way out. If I had to continue writing this story, it would just be a full on Edith Wharton "society sure is hosed beyond repair"-type ending. Presumably, that's not the gyaru way, though, so I'm sure it'll be fine.

Oh, I can see a few ways out of it.

Possibility #1 (most likely): Udagawa knows about the rings. Mei still has her ring. One day, he sees her fidgeting with it, and this sets off a chain of events where he figures out who gave it to her and decides to call off the wedding on his own accord.

Possibility #2: Yuzu, being Yuzu, manages to stubbornly sleuth out the details of the wedding and pulls a total The Graduate on the whole thing.

Possibility #3 (least likely): Mei, known to have nightmares and talk in her sleep about things that bother her, independently realizes the mistake she's made, or perhaps Shou, whom we can assume to not be a fan of this arranged marriage/protect the family fortune business, intervenes somehow

Or a combination of those, or something I haven't even considered.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Possibility #1 just wouldn't be satisfying, imo. Yuzu and Mei always have to solve these problems themselves because that's where all the character drama comes from. It's okay to get advice from Sarah or Harumi, but an outsider can't solve the problem for them. They learn something from overcoming each hurdle, and that improves their relationship, after all.

Also, if Udagawa breaks off the engagement, that just postpones Mei getting married. Her grandfather would have to figure out that what he's doing is wrong.

Possibility #2 is something I'd actively dislike in this context. Mei clearly gives Yuzu the power to sabotage the whole deal when she says that her resolve would crumble upon meeting her again. I think it would be very selfish for Yuzu to interfere in this way, though, since Mei's life goal is at stake. In this regard, it's different from the Graduate because Mei actually agreed to the marriage, even if it was just for her career.

That's why it reminds me so much of realist literature. Sure, the central couple is in love, but society demands that you marry the appropriate person in the end. If you don't play the part, you're probably not gonna get very far.

Possibility #3 would honestly be my favourite solution. It would be a nice change of pace if Mei actually saved their relationship for once. That's always been Yuzu's job, though, and I can't see that changing.

edit: I feel a bit bad about turning this page into a classified document. There probably aren't enough manga readers to warrant a new thread, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Warthog
Mar 25, 2013

Did I just do your job for you?

And More posted:

edit: I feel a bit bad about turning this page into a classified document. There probably aren't enough manga readers to warrant a new thread, though.

Now that the Anime is I'd wager that 90% of the conversation here is going to be manga related. A second anime season is far from certain and 2+ years away. Maybe the OP can revise the first post to make this a hybrid thread?